• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
sable.jpg

Second Pic. The prince transforms into one of these and attacks.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Mach Rider >.<

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
So one if my favorite characters has been deconfirmed, so that's great. Hopefully we get duck hunt dog or Mach rider, but I'm maybe pacman was our retro, and we don't get any of the options we think are still in the running

domokl

Smash Lord
So at this point, are we getting a retro character? Or did we already get one in the form of Little Mac?

We're left with Mach Rider, Bubbles, Muddy Mole and Duck Hunt Dog. Who do you guys think we're most likely to get?
Mach rider and dhd are most likely now in my opinon

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't care if I'm eight pages late, I made this anyways.

As for the Prince of Sablé, it's really nice to see him as an assist trophy. I hope we see more forgotten Nintendo heroes show up as assist trophies as well.

That is if they aren't playable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Muddy Mole has always been my favorite idea for a retro character, he's so charming has so much potential and I love the idea of having one of Miyamoto's lesser known characters. Still not expecting him though.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
On an unrelated to characters topic, I think Takamaru and Prince Sable will exclusive to Wii U and 3DS respectively. Remember when Sakurai said ATs and Pokeballs will be "generally" the same on both versions? I think these are the only two shown off so far, and I think we'll see two or three more pairs of them. Both Sable and Takamaru being revealed on Monday could mean something, too.

On a related to characters topic, I think this potentially could be leading to a Retro reveal. I've been putting deep thought into the ExciteBiker along with SamOxnar, but I also like mach rider, and even the Hunting Dog.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh, uh, obviously, uh paper mario is definitely on the top of my list. All joking aside, I think the 8 bit mario and paper mario arguments have thin evidence. I think appear mario has some wind at his back now with a stage, and I hope he gets in. And what do you guys think of a character reveal along with the direct? I know it's not likely at all, but if we did, who do you think we would get?
Welcome to Smashboards! (I assume you used an auto spell check because that's a weird mistake).

It's actually even more than helping him imo. I think it was a tease, but those kind of teases are hidden for a reason. That's why I think he's likely and I'm probably his biggest supporter here.

Tough, since that stage reveal, I can no longer be disappointed. I wanted the minimum of rep and I got a stage, that was hype.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
It's actually even more than helping him imo. I think it was a tease, but those kind of teases are hidden for a reason. That's why I think he's likely and I'm probably his biggest supporter here.
Like I said before, I think it'd be weird for a playable character to only have a home stage on one version. It looks like that's going to be an all-in-one stage, so I don't think the Wii U will get a Paper Mario stage. But, I could be Super Paper Mario being separated to make it's own Wii U stage. Unless that happens (or the original gets its own stage instead, or a combo of those two to contrast the 3DS stage), I can't see Paper Mario getting in at all.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Like I said before, I think it'd be weird for a playable character to only have a home stage on one version. It looks like that's going to be an all-in-one stage, so I don't think the Wii U will get a Paper Mario stage. But, I could be Super Paper Mario being separated to make it's own Wii U stage. Unless that happens (or the original gets its own stage instead, or a combo of those two to contrast the 3DS stage), I can't see Paper Mario getting in at all.
Ok, let me view this from another perspective.

Why there would be NO WiiU stage at this point?

Because let's even suppose that there would be 2 stages for each version: if it was by only games, WiiU would rep 3 games while 3ds would rep only one. It honestly seems unbalanced for the 3ds version.

Because now, I see the ONLY handheld game and a console game on 3ds.

Question: why TTYD on 3ds?

If it was for only sticker star, then I guess I'll have no reason to believe that any console game would be reped by a stage on WiiU and it would even be like rainbow road which only shows one location from one game.

By having something that shouldn't be reped on this system, the only way I see making sense is because there would be console rep on WiiU.

Actually, no one said that because I saw TTYD on 3ds = not on WiiU. From what I can tell, the pokemon league on WiiU and the prism tower on 3ds both come from the same handheld game so why it has to be system unique? For example, if you take the theatre, why the 3ds stage would obsolete this one? It would even be for a different purpose anyway so I see no reason of this stage being obsolete.

The problem with seeing a 3ds stage is that it's the system I expect the least to even have a stage. literally 75% (3 out of 4) games were on home console so I first expect a WiiU stage. Getting a 3ds one that go as far to rep console game makes a WiiU stage likely in my eyes.

And I just want to remind you about something even if it's theory, it;s worth to share. Considering what I just said, why exactly we DIDN'T hear of a WiiU stage AS OF NOW, but yes to a 3ds one?

Remember what happened to Greninja? Being teased on a 3DS stage reveal that was almost full EXCEPT who this stage rep. It was implied to be existing pokemon while it was 6G as the location rep 6G.

What happened in his trailer? A WiiU stage was revealed. If we saw the 3ds one, it means that the WiiU one was hidden for trailer setup, but why the WiiU one? Because no 3ds stage are used for trailer setup. All newcomers so far have been fighting in WiiU stages in their own trailers so hiding the WiiU one bur revealing the 3ds for teasing was the logcial choice.

Here, I see a 3ds stage and it's not clear if it reps him as an entity or the existing mario characters. Now, it;s implied to be the existing mario one while if I read the caption, I can't tell and because seeing a WiiU stage would make more sense, there's logically no reason to not even talk about it BEFORE as it was more expected and probably even requested.

But between you and me, If he's unclear, hiding a stage for the one version used for trailers, reveal the stage of the one version NOT used in trailers, is that too convenient?

There you go, I went there, but If you really care, I made a global theory on those tease that match perfectly all cases before and of course, this one too.

EDIT: screw it, I'll post it anyway:

[collapse=The HTSRST theory]
I call them HTSRST, or "Hidden Tease by Stage Reveal with Selected Targeting"

Seems kinda long, but it explains the most of what's happening.

First, those tease are done by a stage reveal. To tell that it's HTSRST, it has to be hidden and done with selected targeting.

And that's the most interesting part here. See, Sakurai already acknowledged how any fan should feel upon deconfirmation of their favourite character. I could give a source, but I don't remember where he said that, but I think it was when he said that he would have to cut characters when it was needed or something.

So, I think it makes sense to say that he can understands the feeling of his fans.

Those tease are done with SELECTED TARGETING. It means that Sakurai will specifically design the tease to only work on a previously selected target of people. The target are the one who care about the character teased and the most determinate are the most targeted. For people who are not targeted, not only the tease doesn't work, but it also make those people assume the truth since the tease is hidden.

Upon the revel of the stage, what triggers the tease is NOT saying something crucial for speculation, or at most, mention it, but by being intentionally UNCLEAR. For the target, they would get the tease because they would care so much that they would be tempted to analyse the material Sakurai gave with the reveal to realise that there's "something fishy". They would get that not being clear on this piece of info shouldn't happen and this is what triggers investigation to know what's going on.

But for the one who aren't targeted, they won't investigate and they won't get something weird since those don't care enough about the character. It makes them ASSUME the truth for what is first IMPLIED without actually have been said by Sakurai.

That's when the tease becomes hidden. By implying this truth, it would actually contradicts what the tease is trying to tell. This would make the people who aren't targeted DENY the tease and the only one who would get it is the target.

Because of this unbalanced knowledge, it creates speculations and so, the tease is more talked. For the people who denied it, the reveal would make more surprise since the possibility was denied.

The reason it's by stage reveal is because the stage is probably the best evidence you could provide to change the situation of any character's chance. Most stages has at least one playable character related to it and Sakurai choose stages that are more related to one character for his tease.

Making a stage requires a huge amount of work. There's so much details in them that the amount of work put into it has to be for a special reason. The teased stages are specifically related to one character to make a "home feel" for him.

That's why selected targeting works here. By caring about the character, you probably care about the stage choice too. By not caring, the tease has less chances to work as it's not something you would understand perfectly.

The last thing Sakurai would do before revealing the hidden truth would be to wait for a certain time. This would make some time for people to talk about this situation and the more time it last, the bigger the speculation become. The time of the period could have been chosen for the target's needs. The wait period is particularly apparent for almost denying the existence of the situation and not telling anything that could break the tease.
[/collapse]

Take this as you will (I even accept rant via PM if you desire), but I see a WiiU stage quite likely.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I too find it a little strange that we did not get a Wii U stage as there are many Paper Mario fanatics who enjoyed the titles on the Nintendo 64, the GameCube, and the Wii. Why reference TTYD on just the 3DS? Something is off for sure.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i
Hey everyone, I found this on the Smash Sub-Reddit.

You get 12 points, each character row corresponds to the point on the left. So Wonder Red = 4 Points, and Duck Hunt Dog = 2 Points, etc.

So if you only had 12 points, who would you choose? This is mine.

Ridley: Because Ridley.

Bandana Dee: Awesome character, if FE can have 4 reps, so does Kirby.

Sceptile: Because the Fire-Water-Grass starter trio.
Isaac
geno
shulk

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I too find it a little strange that we did not get a Wii U stage as there are many Paper Mario fanatics who enjoyed the titles on the Nintendo 64, the GameCube, and the Wii. Why reference TTYD on just the 3DS? Something is off for sure.
That can only be understood if you lived it.

3ds is travelling. I actually spotted some modification of the source material more on the TTYD part. Like the ship has 3 platform not present in original game. Blooper is normally not there. It tells me it was modified for the 3ds needs of travelling which actually screams me WiiU stage for me because if they went to do that on TTYD, it should mean that we would get an original one on WiiU and the theatre being a good example.

Mentioning TTYD at all is something that should make most of Paper Mario fans react as it is the most popular.

I don't really think it's coincidence because he choose that same game.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
As for the awesome 12 points list:
Isaac
Saki
Ray 01
My 3 most wanted characters. then for more:
Lip
Sakupon

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

You get 12 points, each character row corresponds to the point on the left. So Wonder Red = 4 Points, and Duck Hunt Dog = 2 Points, etc.

Hyerg this is hard.

OK, Skull Kid is a hard requirement for me. 9 points left. Mach Rider is another hard requirement for me; 6 points left. I really like the idea of Duck Hunt Dog, which leaves me at four points. I have no interest in the rest of tier 1 and 2, so I guess I'm taking one more character from tier 3 or 4. I think of that set, I'm torn between Dark Samus and Masked Man. I think ultimately Dark Samus wins it for me; Masked Man is cooler but Dark Samus has a unique way of movement and fighting in the Metroid series that I think would be very cool to see translated into Smash. So I've spent 11 pointsl I'll grab what I assume is Mike Jones from 1 for ****s and giggles.

Skull Kid
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Dark Samus
Mike Jones

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

So the most requested characters take up 5? Seriously?

King K. Rool, Isaac, and Lip. Easily.

In regards to characters that SHOULD get in over who I WANT:

Ridley, King K. Rool, and Lip. Although I still say that Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac should all be in honestly. :p

I don't get the points system. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
So the most requested characters take up 5? Seriously?

King K. Rool, Isaac, and Lip. Easily.

In regards to characters that SHOULD get in over who I WANT:

Ridley, King K. Rool, and Lip. Although I still say that Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac should all be in honestly. :p

I don't get the points system. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
The premise is that the characters that are most wanted cost the most, while characters that only a niche audience want are lower. I'm not sure I think all characters are in the right spot according to this, but that;s the premise they're working under. The decision is; do I take the characters I (probably) want the most or a larger selection of characters I'm (probably) less fond of. For me it worked out great; all the characters I want the most are row three or two. xD

It would have worked better to tell people to make a list of 20 characters they'd like to see, ordered from 1 to 20, and then after they had done so, inform them that they had a certain number of points to buy characters with, having each character be worth a different value based on where they slotted in, most wanted costing the most and least wanted costing the least.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Guys, the post never says what he is, it says he's making an appearance. This is just like Ridley and Dark Pit. @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 don't worry, he's very clearly playable!

:troll::troll::troll:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Which actually helps both Ridley and Dark Pit (although I still don't think Dark Pit is a separate character because he didn't get an intro like Lucina).
I think it's a moot point. I don't know if I want to get into it, but Ridley/DP supporters say they haven't said anything because hype, I say it's to keep them hooked and waiting and watching every update and deconfirm (disconfirm?) them once they're already so committed. Both plausible, nether verifiable, yada yada

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

(4) bomberman
(4) bandanna dee
(4) Ghirahim

Rolling 4's all day.

Staarih

Smash Master
The 12 point thing, I'd probably go with Paper Mario (3), Geno (4) and Ridley (5). I'd gladly welcome soo many others of those too haha!

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Isaac (5), Bomberman (4), Shulk (3). As it was said, Mewtwo would get in anyway.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Mewtwo, Ridley, and Roy :troll:

Found this on IGN and couldn't help sharing this from Miiverse

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
To be fair, Wii Fit Trainer does not seem to have a stage on the 3DS version. At least I don't think she does.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Welcome to Smashboards! (I assume you used an auto spell check because that's a weird mistake).

Tough, since that stage reveal, I can no longer be disappointed. I wanted the minimum of rep and I got a stage, that was hype.
Thanks, and paper mario is pretty likely in my eyes, and i would much rather have him than 8 bit mario, that idea is so stupid to me. And on the topic of zelda characters, I think Impa is the most likely, but vaati is a close second to me. Does anyone think Impa is also likely, or is it just me?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Mach Rider is still alive. . . I'm hoping he's truly our retro newcomer. I've never played his game due to my brother saying it was pretty bad, however I'm interested in the guy to see how he'd function in Smash. I'd live without him though.

I love Duck Hunt, but I hate that Dog so much. I do want to see a Duck Hunt Assist Trophy or stage!

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Mach Rider is still alive. . . I'm hoping he's truly our retro representative. I've never played his game due to my brother saying it was pretty bad, however I'm interested in guy to see how he'd function in Smash. I'd live without him though.

I love Duck Hunt, but I hate that Dog so much. I do want to see a Duck Hunt Assist trophy or stage!
what makes you think that we cant have three? mach rider, R.O.B., and Mr.G+W

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Now I'm just going to bank on DHD as the last and second retro, it's not that bad of a trade off my prediction roster.
I find duck hunt dog to be the favorite, and I really want him in, since he was my 2nd favorite retro character option, but we may not get any retro, because maybe pacman or little Mac took the retro spot, even though we can obviously have more than one retro, since technically there aren't any spots, but let's hope for dhd to be in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom