• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Lolno. There is a clear difference between adding a character like Diddy Kong and adding a character like Robin. Both of them are great characters, but there is a clear difference.
Are they an all star franchise? Fire Emblem is.

Need new reps? Look for best candidate in recent games. It makes sense.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Thank you.

Your argument would hold weight if:
-The Mii Swordwielder wasn't inspired by the Soul Calibur create-a-character.
-The Mii Brawler wasn't a lot like a Tekken character.
-The Mii Gunner wasn't a Contra/arcade shoot 'em up copy.
-The Wii Fit Trainer wasn't the power up gimmick mixed in with a lot of Virtua Fighter character mechanics
-Lucina wasn't a spacie (in regards to sweetspot vs. sourspot rather than tipper vs. non-tipper) take on Marth.
-Mario and Luigi weren't Ryu and Ken, and Dr. Mario wasn't Dark Ryu. Seriously, they all have used Shoryuken, Haduken, a spinning kick, and a bounce throw off the ground that originate from Ryu, Ken, and Dark Ryu.
-Characters that happen to be major characters in their franchises are chosen for their movesets, skillsets, and playstyles, not sales.
-Newcomers like Mega Man, Little Mac, Robin, and Palutena that a lot of people wanted have movesets, skillsets, and playstyles that aren't hard to imagine.
-Smash didn't copy other fighting games at every turn it has.
-HAL Laboratories didn't have staff that made other fighting games before.
-The development teams of Tekken and Soul Calibur, aka the 2 best-selling fighting game franchises of all-time weren't working Smash for the 3DS and WiiU.
Really? I don't think smash bros has copied Soul Calibur, Tekken, or Street Fighter in any way. Smash bros is possibly the most unique fighting game out there (this is conning from a gamer who plays mostly fighting games). Smash plays nothing like those games.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
We should probably stop most of these conversations because they've turned from characters and how they get picked to how smash compares to other smash games which doesn't belong here.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Really? I don't think smash bros has copied Soul Calibur, Tekken, or Street Fighter in any way. Smash bros is possibly the most unique fighting game out there (this is conning from a gamer who plays mostly fighting games). Smash plays nothing like those games.
Seriously...

-Mario, Luigi, and Doc have the same down B in functionality as the Street Fighter spinning kick from Street Fighter II back in the early 90's.
-Mario, Luigi, and Doc have the same up B in functionality as the Shoryuken from Street Fighter II back in the early 90's, especially Luigi.
-Mario, Luigi, Doc, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja have the same neutral B in functionality as the Haduken from Street Fighter II back in the early 90's, especially Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja.
-Mario, Luigi, and Doc have the same down throw in functionality as the Street Fighter strong throw from Street Fighter II back in the early 90's.
-Mario and Luigi function just like Ryu and Ken in terms of stats, build, and functionality in many ways dating all the way back to Street Fighter II back in the early 90's.
-Donkey Kong is very similar to Zangief in Smash 64.
-Wii Fit Trainer is very much like a Virtua Fighter character.
-Rosalina and Luma is heavily inspired by various character + support characters, mostly from Guilty Gear and BlazBlue and games like those.

On top of that, the Tekken teams and Soul Calibur teams are helping make Smash 3DS and WiiU.

Smash is inspired by gaming as a whole, especially platformers and fighting games. If there wasn't any influence from Street Fighter II, then quite simply put Smash is not a fighting game. I guarantee you Street Fighter II was probably the game that gave Sakurai the first thought of making the first fighting game.

After all, if you aren't inspired by the past or the present, you won't have inspiration to build off in the future.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We got Zato/Eddie, May, Dudley, Strider, and Dormammu for some of our newcomers.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Gameplay coming first understood, I think it's less about focusing solely on gameplay and sorting an algorithm like this:
Gameplay potential -> Trueness to their series -> Notoriety
Unlike John who insists popularity has zero factor, and unlike Morbid who believes gameplay means ****, I think there's a definite balance that needs to be reached with each character. Let's quickly run down through it.

Gameplay potential is a given. You can't have a character if they can't give decent gameplay. What is decent gameplay? The ability to be unique from the rest of the roster based on how you play them and how they interact with the balance of the roster. I often see people list Bandana Dee as unique "Because he's a spear user!!!1", when that literally means nothing until you give the context in which he uses it. If you make an argument that his spear would leave potential for a playstyle focused on grounding aerial-opponents with a variety of long-ranged moves, then bingo, that's immediately a niche. Unfortunately I almost never see the latter.

Trueness to a series should be also understood once gameplay potential for a character is figured out. See, this is the kind of thing that bothers me with Agitha in Hyrule Warriors. While her ability to summon giant insects in battle is certainly unique in that type of roster, the fact of the matter is that she can't do that in Twilight Princess and that they're literally making a mortal girl into some sort of demi-god of bugs. She isn't known for actually commanding insects despite her title, yet that aspect is ignored outright. The same type of pet peeve extends into Smash Bros. for me. Any character could simply do something unique and worth their gameplay, but it's a matter of which characters would seem the most congruent with that. Paper Mario being a shapeshifting/utility/summoner character? Sure, he has all those abilities in his games. Toad being some sort of being that pulls out an infinite number of blocks and powerups? Not bad, but not as good in that it has to borrow aspects from his series that aren't known for being completely intertwined with him. But when we get to things like Dr. Kawashima raining numbers and puzzles down from the sky? That's when I draw the line. Creative liberties are fine, given, but there's fitting movesets, and then there's movesets made merely shoehorn the character into the game. More folks here need to figure out which of those their ideas fit into more.

Finally comes the notoriety. Once a character has their unique gameplay and fittingness figured out, this becomes a tie-breaker of sorts. Say we reach a conflict between Ridley from Metroid and Flygon from Pokemon as aerial fighter heavyweights that can grab, move around, and throw opponents while in the air. Both come from big series, that's for sure, and both would be fitting with their in-game abilities. So let's think for a moment. Between the two, who has a more prominent role in their series? The Pokemon series is much bigger, but Ridley is much more important to his series, however smaller in scale it may be compared to Pokemon, thus making him a much more sensible candidate than the minor-character Flygon. Do you see what we did there? We ignored sales outright, because they don't mean a thing in choosing between characters. If a large assortment of characters can pass the above two criteria and end up with extremely similar playstyles in mind, the tier-list of "Who is the most Important character" should be the then final tiebreaker here. I mean, you could decide for yourself who would be the best aerial-grappler amongst the list of Ridley/Flygon/Baby Dyna Blade/Tingle/Koopa Paratroopa, but frankly I think only two of those even stand out, Ridley and Tingle merely being a matter of which direction we'd want to take it. Still though take it the big direction pls

So yeah, maybe we could start doing more of this from now on? Instead of blindly saying you want Ghirahim or Daisy or whatever you kids think is hip these days, actually think of these things from a gameplay standpoint first? Hm?

Morbi

Scavenger
Gameplay coming first understood, I think it's less about focusing solely on gameplay and sorting an algorithm like this:

Unlike John who insists popularity has zero factor, and unlike Morbid who believes gameplay means ****, I think there's a definite balance that needs to be reached with each character. Let's quickly run down through it.

Gameplay potential is a given. You can't have a character if they can't give decent gameplay. What is decent gameplay? The ability to be unique from the rest of the roster based on how you play them and how they interact with the balance of the roster. I often see people list Bandana Dee as unique "Because he's a spear user!!!1", when that literally means nothing until you give the context in which he uses it. If you make an argument that his spear would leave potential for a playstyle focused on grounding aerial-opponents with a variety of long-ranged moves, then bingo, that's immediately a niche. Unfortunately I almost never see the latter.

Trueness to a series should be also understood once gameplay potential for a character is figured out. See, this is the kind of thing that bothers me with Agitha in Hyrule Warriors. While her ability to summon giant insects in battle is certainly unique in that type of roster, the fact of the matter is that she can't do that in Twilight Princess and that they're literally making a mortal girl into some sort of demi-god of bugs. She isn't known for actually commanding insects despite her title, yet that aspect is ignored outright. The same type of pet peeve extends into Smash Bros. for me. Any character could simply do something unique and worth their gameplay, but it's a matter of which characters would seem the most congruent with that. Paper Mario being a shapeshifting/utility/summoner character? Sure, he has all those abilities in his games. Toad being some sort of being that pulls out an infinite number of blocks and powerups? Not bad, but not as good in that it has to borrow aspects from his series that aren't known for being completely intertwined with him. But when we get to things like Dr. Kawashima raining numbers and puzzles down from the sky? That's when I draw the line. Creative liberties are fine, given, but there's fitting movesets, and then there's movesets made merely shoehorn the character into the game. More folks here need to figure out which of those their ideas fit into more.

Finally comes the notoriety. Once a character has their unique gameplay and fittingness figured out, this becomes a tie-breaker of sorts. Say we reach a conflict between Ridley from Metroid and Flygon from Pokemon as aerial fighter heavyweights that can grab, move around, and throw opponents while in the air. Both come from big series, that's for sure, and both would be fitting with their in-game abilities. So let's think for a moment. Between the two, who has a more prominent role in their series? The Pokemon series is much bigger, but Ridley is much more important to his series, however smaller in scale it may be compared to Pokemon, thus making him a much more sensible candidate than the minor-character Flygon. Do you see what we did there? We ignored sales outright, because they don't mean a thing in choosing between characters. If a large assortment of characters can pass the above two criteria and end up with extremely similar playstyles in mind, the tier-list of "Who is the most Important character" should be the then final tiebreaker here. I mean, you could decide for yourself who would be the best aerial-grappler amongst the list of Ridley/Flygon/Baby Dyna Blade/Tingle/Koopa Paratroopa, but frankly I think only two of those even stand out, Ridley and Tingle merely being a matter of which direction we'd want to take it. Still though take it the big direction pls

So yeah, maybe we could start doing more of this from now on? Instead of blindly saying you want Ghirahim or Daisy or whatever you kids think is hip these days, actually think of these things from a gameplay standpoint first? Hm?
Please, quote where I state game-play is irrelevant? I can actually go back and quote ANY of my posts were I assert that it is indeed the most important aspect of inclusion. You are basically regurgitating everything I insinuated, albeit with more examples.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Unlike John who insists popularity has zero factor
Apparently I said this when I didn't say this, despite the fact I've said this over and over again.

In fact, the only thing I've said is sales are overrated, and have little to no impact.

Popularity is a different story. Popularity gets a character considered to be playable, but that it doesn't assure that they'll be playable. It gets them to the door and maybe knocking of the door, but it doesn't mean they'll be invited in.

A recent example of this is Chrom vs. Robin. Sure, Chrom could be a cheap cash-in, but the development team clearly didn't like the idea given how in the trailer last Monday they literally buried Chrom in every way conceivable. He bored them. After all, what's the point of adding a character that bores the people making your game=???

To quote Sid Meier, "I never make a game I don't thoroughly enjoy playing, and neither does my team." The same is true of characters and playable characters in fighting games.

So, they saw Robin, tried out Robin, loved it, kept working on him, and overall they loved their work with Robin. Ironically from a sales-centric point-of-view interesting characters like that which the development team likes helps sales more than a character that would bore them like Chrom. I don't care what anyone says, "fun" and "enjoyable" things always sell.

But hey, since you wanted the yin-yang of a good post (that you misunderstood) and a bad post, you got a muddled sub-par post. That post rambles and exists to derail two different breeds of posts, one of which said posts you don't entirely understand, all for the sake of insulting two philosophies, one, again, which you didn't understand.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
it's easy to say WFT is aweosme and unique after the fact that she has been added to the roster.
before nobody wanted miis or wft.
nobody.

the only people who expected appearances of said characters are those who keep a close eye on all nintendo franchises.

robin was expected by me. I was excited because it proved the gematsu leak wrong.
i can go into detail as to why robin was expected over chrom or lucina, but I don't think it's worth trying to debate anything on this forum.

do you want to tell me marth was picked because of unique moveset potential?
he never had a tipper or spacing mechanics in his game.

Sakurai picks characters that NEED to appear, and makes them unique
or picks characters who already are unique and inspire movesets in his mind, while still being relevant to the series they come from.

I think many people are so hardcore they forget what the game is actually about.

He is not adding characters just because they are popular or just because they seem unique, it's all a balance of elements.

i will laugh and smile as this whole board will rage at the next reveal, and then suddenly make a 180 and say things like:

"___ adds so many unique moves to the roster" after they have been denying the possibility of said character being in.

This is less of a character discussion than a character support thread.

D

Deleted member

No, it's easier to talk about gameplay once you understand game design.

Seriously, just talk about one potential move. Talk about it's properties.

Talk about it's hitstun, it's startup lag, it's cooldown lag, it's sweetspot, it's sourspot, or perhaps instead of the latter 2 it has a tipper mechanic (no move has both a tipper and a a sweetspot and sourspot in smash because that's too much work). Then, talk about it's hitboxes, and perhaps how it's hitboxes change during the move's duration.

You can literally have a 10 paragraph statement on a single theoretical move just going off that.

I once had such a statement with my proposed claw move for Ridley's forward air, with it being a combination of Bowser's Brawl forward air, Mewtwo's Melee forward air/Charizard's Smash 4 poverty Mewtwo forward air, and Fox's Melee back air.

BTW, that's just moveset talk on specific moves. You could talk overall moveset functionality, skillset, and playstyle all in as much or greater detail from a micro (small and specific) and macro (big picture) level.

Once you start getting your brain rolling, you get some insane ideas with popular, unpopular, and largely unknown characters that stand a realistic shot at being playable (ie: Ganondorf, not Ralph in the Zelda franchise).
King K. Rool's Crown Toss as a Side Smash Move.

King K. Rool's Crown Toss is one of his most well known moves and is remembered from Donkey Kong Country, a very important game in Nintendo's history. Many argue that the Crown Toss should be King K. Rool's Neutral B, but I feel as a Side Smash would be better.

When King K. Rool brings out his Crown Toss as a Side Smash, he charges depends on how long and how much damage he wants to do with another character. Once he is ready to throw, King K. Rool then throws his Crown Toss which reaches it's sweet spots anywhere from two to four seconds depending on how long King K. Rool charges his Crown Toss. The Crown Toss is thrown in a straight line just like in the game or it can be thrown diagonally.

The goal of this move depends on how long the Crown Toss is. If the Crown Toss is released immediately after the Side Smash button is used, the move can be used to trap the opponent while King K. Rool can come in and do extra damage. Releasing the Crown Toss at it's full potential, however, allows for good KOs potential and can be used for knocking opponents off the stage just when they are trying to recover.

It's not hard to see why Crown Toss should be a Side Smash, because it would allow for King K. Rool to have one Special move from another game such as the Blunderbuss as a Neutral and as such. With the Crown Toss being a Side Smash, King K. Rool's iconic move is still present and is being used to the best of its potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Isaac, I think, would have an edge guarding emphasis with psynergy like Move doing his kills rather than sheer ko power.
That's interesting idea. I imagine he'll have to rely on mostly on stage edge guard tactics for thematic reasons, right? If so, a tool like Yoshi's UpB would make sense for him in addition to the Move.
Holy crap I want this. ALL OF THIS!!! (as if I didn't love the idea of Isaac as a playable character already)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Please, quote where I state game-play is irrelevant? I can actually go back and quote ANY of my posts were I assert that it is indeed the most important aspect of inclusion. You are basically regurgitating everything I insinuated, albeit with more examples.
Apparently I said this when I didn't say this, despite the fact I've said this over and over again.

In fact, the only thing I've said is sales are overrated, and that popularity gets a character considered to be playable, but that it doesn't assure that they'll be playable (ie: the Chrom vs. Robin factor).

But hey, since you wanted the yin-yang of a good post (that you misunderstood) and a bad post, you got a muddled sub-par post. That post rambles and exists to derail two different breeds of posts, one of which said posts you don't entirely understand.
Caught both your guys' attention, eh? Looks like it worked. Glad to break up your slap fight for a moment.

Whilst you both can agree that my post was semi-terrible, I've noticed you also both agree that there is indeed a balance that should be met. One aspect is not capable of existing without the other outright, hence why you're both calling out how, by themselves, neither Gameplay nor Sales are the end-all to this.

See? By directing your negativity at me, you guys can agree on something. :laugh:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Caught both your guys' attention, eh? Looks like it worked. Glad to break up your slap fight for a moment.

Whilst you both can agree that my post was semi-terrible, I've noticed you also both agree that there is indeed a balance that should be met. One aspect is not capable of existing without the other outright, hence why you're both calling out how, by themselves, neither Gameplay nor Sales are the end-all to this.

See? By directing your negativity at me, you guys can agree on something. :laugh:
I don't agree that sales have any noticeable impact.

I only agree that popularity does, and that popularity gets you at the door, but not in.

I've gone over this a thousand times, including earlier, and I've said that many characters are evidently popular because they're EASY to imagine in smash. Just look at Palutena, Robin, Mega Man, and Little Mac for proof.

This didn't change my line of thought at all or inspire me to think about it.

Thus, I don't see a point for it from my perspective.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Let's talk about Isaac and how he could be different than Robin.

If Robin is a long range-close range character, maybe Isaac could be a midrange-close range character with his earth psynergys and his sword.
May not care about the character myself, but I'd love to see something like this as his Up Smash.

The longer you charge, the more pillars of rocks will appear (Up to 5), with the last hit doing the most knockback.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I don't agree that sales have any noticeable impact.

I only agree that popularity does, and that popularity gets you at the door, but not in.

I've gone over this a thousand times, including earlier, and I've said that many characters are evidently popular because they're EASY to imagine in smash. Just look at Palutena, Robin, Mega Man, and Little Mac for proof.

This didn't change my line of thought at all or inspire me to think about it.

Thus, I don't see a point for it from my perspective.
By sales I meant popularity. That's my mistake considering they are very much different, though they're often intertwined.

Point being that while popularity is not end-all, as unique as someone like Muddy Mole or Chibi-Robo would be, you can't tell me either are anywhere near as realistic as Ridley or K. Rool whom, despite sharing an equal amount of gameplay potential, are much more likely on part of how many more are asking for them.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai picks Nintendo All Stars to be in the game.

Are they an all star? Sakurai Decides.

/topic
So what does Smash, a crossover, fighter have that another crossover fighter like Marvel vs. Capcom doesn't?
Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly.

And this is why ideas like Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and Simon Belmont in Smash and THE ENTIRE FREAKING FANTASTIC FOUR in MvC not being playable upsets me.

They're so unique with their moves and could have so many different takes on the way they work that it PAINS ME that neither pair of fours have happened yet in those respective titles.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I may be wrong on this but i honestly think one of the newcomers will be Ghirahim and he will be revealed along with Ganondorf

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think what's being overlooked is that there is no universal rule or ratio for popularity or gameplay. Some characters get in because they were popular or important picks and the moveset is likely made afterward. That's when gameplay comes in, but even if the character is popular and deserving, if they run into gameplay-related issues (lack of feasibility, being boring old Chroms, technical limitations) the popularity won't be enough to outweigh the problem.

I'd say that's how the majority of characters are chosen, but on the other hand there are characters who might be floating around in the whole pool of perspective candidates but get specially selected due to the diversity they can bring gameplay-wise, which could offset their inferior popularity or demand when compared to other candidates. Perhaps like Rosalina.

There's no one equation to determine how much popularity matters in comparison to gameplay, because it's different for every character. Both matter, but depending on the character one might matter a little or a lot more than the other.

As far as sales go... no, they don't matter. But they do indicate the audience size for a specific series, and audience size, which can lead to popularity and importance, can be a factor in inclusions. So I'd say in some cases sales are an indirect factor in inclusion.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I may be wrong on this but i honestly think one of the newcomers will be Ghirahim and he will be revealed along with Ganondorf
I agree. He's much more popular and developed than Zant was. He has a lot more people cheering for him. Lots of potential. Another villain would be great.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I still think we are getting an 8-Bit Mario as a playable character.

Pit in today's potd is in his blue color swap. Notice too the very light color on his tunic, and the lack of blue wings.

And when the game comes out, I'm going to make a Mii Fighter based on the Angry Video Game Nerd.

And no, I am not trolling or spamming; it is completely on-topic, and every word I said is true.

Did I say that last part? I meant that I meant every word I just said.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Well, seeing as we keep beating around the bush i decided to make a new thread to help illuminate everyone so they understand how characters are chosen:
http://smashboards.com/threads/sakurai-sans-character-selection-process.361953/

Popularity matters. Popularity can only happen if many people KNOW about said character/series and vote for them in a survey.
This means there is a direct correlation between sales of a game/series and their popularity/recognizability.

I can shout from every rooftop that i want django/sabata to be Konami's rep.

does anyone know who I'm talking about? no.

Case closed

I think what's being overlooked is that there is no universal rule or ratio for popularity or gameplay. Some characters get in because they were popular or important picks and the moveset is likely made afterward. That's when gameplay comes in, but even if the character is popular and deserving, if they run into gameplay-related issues (lack of feasibility, being boring old Chroms, technical limitations) the popularity won't be enough to outweigh the problem.

I'd say that's how the majority of characters are chosen, but on the other hand there are characters who might be floating around in the whole pool of perspective candidates but get specially selected due to the diversity they can bring gameplay-wise, which could offset their inferior popularity or demand when compared to other candidates. Perhaps like Rosalina.

There's no one equation to determine how much popularity matters in comparison to gameplay, because it's different for every character. Both matter, but depending on the character one might matter a little or a lot more than the other.

As far as sales go... no, they don't matter. But they do indicate the audience size for a specific series, and audience size, which can lead to popularity and importance, can be a factor in inclusions. So I'd say in some cases sales are an indirect factor in inclusion.
Same goes for you

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

If that was your actual intention, I suppose it most certainly worked. I apologize for being so pretentious, thank you for making it so apparent that it was more about the disagreement than the perspective. I feel ashamed. :c

Only Dark Pit's reveal would make me feel better. :awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
By sales I meant popularity. That's my mistake considering they are very much different, though they're often intertwined.

Point being that while popularity is not end-all, as unique as someone like Muddy Mole or Chibi-Robo would be, you can't tell me either are anywhere near as realistic as Ridley or K. Rool whom, despite sharing an equal amount of gameplay potential, are much more likely on part of how many more are asking for them.
Okay well the clear up helps.

Regardless, I never dismissed popularity. I just dismiss the notion any character gets in merely on popularity. After all, the most wanted smash characters ever all were popular, but generally speaking all were very easy to understand in regards to how they would function in smash.

In Melee it was very obvious how the most popular character requests in Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Falco, Marth, and Mewtwo could largely function, especially to fans of those character.

In Brawl it was very obvious how the most popular character requests in Wario, Diddy, Dedede, Sonic, Olimar, Lucas, Ike, Meta Knight, and Lucario could largely function.

In Smash 4, it's very obvious how confirmed characters in Little Mac, Mega Man, Robin, Palutena, Villager, Pac-Man, Miis (as avatars and with moves from everything), and soon to be Shulk and the Chorus Men could largely function.

Granted, there's liberties at every turn, but largely, they all make sense.

Similarly, the most popular potential newcomers left in Ridley, K. Rool, Rayman, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Krystal, The Masked Man, Impa, and Dark Pit would play like.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
On Isaac, maybe for one of his specials he could have something like Hulk's Gamma Wave or Gamma Quake.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well he's pretty popular right now, he's one of the most popular Zelda character (not the most)
The problem was we already saw this happen with the (not spoiler because the game is like 3 years old) fake final boss guy in Zant, as well as the more popular Midna, who was recently deconfirmed.

Considering Impa isn't deconfirmed, Impa has a better shot now, especially since she could easily be a Sheik clone.

Also, Demise is an easy Ganondorf and/or Captain Falcon clone.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
it's easy to say WFT is aweosme and unique after the fact that she has been added to the roster.
before nobody wanted miis or wft.
nobody.

the only people who expected appearances of said characters are those who keep a close eye on all nintendo franchises.
Lolwut? Whether or not people wanted Miis, they'd been expecting them. Hell, I'd been expecting them since Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
On Isaac, maybe for one of his specials he could have something like Hulk's Gamma Wave or Gamma Quake.

Or even Gamma Charge! :smirk:

Ghirahim is rather popular and would make more a very intresting moveset..would be much better than Demise
I agree with this sentiment, Ghirahim is at the very least, popular in a Smash related context. However, I would assert that his move-set potential is more observable than his popularity as most of the other Legend of Zelda candidates are fairly popular themselves. He could introduce a gimmick that enables him to pull out his sword (or an additional disposable sword) with his neutral special.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
The problem was we already saw this happen with the (not spoiler because the game is like 3 years old) fake final boss guy in Zant, as well as the more popular Midna, who was recently deconfirmed.

Considering Impa isn't deconfirmed, Impa has a better shot now, especially since she could easily be a Sheik clone.

(if anyone gets mad at me over Skyward Sword spoilers, get over it. Nobody plays Zelda for the plot, and it's an older game.)
ah, you talk sense!

I think Demise may be a new moveset with Ganondorf costumes,
leading to Black shadow taking the old clone moveset.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
The problem was we already saw this happen with the (not spoiler because the game is like 3 years old) fake final boss guy in Zant, as well as the more popular Impa.

I would not mind either way but still Ghirahim would be really cool but Impa does have a shot. I would love her to play like she does in Hyrule Warriors but that won't happen

Morbi

Scavenger
I would not mind either way but still Ghirahim would be really cool but Impa does have a shot. I would love her to play like she does in Hyrule Warriors but that won't happen
Greninja already does what Hyrule Warrior's Impa does. :troll:

ah, you talk sense!

I think Demise may be a new moveset with Ganondorf costumes,
leading to Black shadow taking the old clone moveset.
I agree with this sentiment; however, I feel as though Demise would be the costume with Ganondorf just having a new move-set. Subtle difference, I suppose.

Maxilian

Smash Ace

I agree what you say about Impa (as a clone) but not Demise... not even as a clone, he's not popular at all, he's not even liked cause he's extremely easy to beat and he doesn't even give a big impression while Ghirahim does

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would love a trailer with Metaknight and then Simon Belmont is revealed..i wish that could happen
The fact we might never get Simon Belmont in Smash Bros. is literally depressing.

Literally one of the best character ideas ever.
I agree what you say about Impa (as a clone) but not Demise... not even as a clone, he's not popular at all, he's not even liked cause he's extremely easy to beat and he doesn't even give a big impression while Ghirahim does
Yeah, but Demise is an easy clone build and that might be all that matters.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
The fact we might never get Simon Belmont in Smash Bros. is literally depressing.

Literally one of the best character ideas ever.

Yeah, but Demise is an easy clone build and that might be all that matters.
I don't think they will add 2 clones for the same series as new characters (so is Impa or Demise and i don't think they will take Demise over Impa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom