• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Zelda newcomer? Skull Kid. Nintendo's been teasing Majora's Mask for a while, plus Skull Kid represents both MM and OoT...

Sorry, my post Skull Kid disconfirmation self tried to return from the grave.

*Pistol Shot*

Back to the subject at hand. If we had to get a Zelda newcomer, I'd like to see Ghirahim... but as I've said before, I don't want another Zelda newcomer.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think if any Zelda newcomer has a chance, it's gotta be Ghirahim. Mainly because Sakurai seems to be selecting characters from the newest of the series right now and Ghirahim would fit perfectly into the smash universe imo. Robin from Awakening, Greninja from X and Y, not sure if any of the other newcomers follow that pattern (thank god Pac Man's design doesn't), but idk. I just feel like Ghirahim has the best chances.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Epona's far more iconic, memorable, recognizable than Ghirahim, so basically yes.
But as far as merits for Smash bros., Ghirahim has much more potential for a fresh moveset, while he is a one off villain, he was way more prominent in his game than Zant or every other villain barring Ganon or Skull Kid, also Sakurai seems to be going for more recent characters in newcomers this time around, so Ghirahim isn't that much of a stretch. I agree Epona is more iconic or recognizable, but there's a reason no one even considers her an option, she's just a horse, i don't think they'll opt for that before any other actual character.
Also PETA wouldn't ever let go if that happened :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
We already have the core characters of the franchise. There are so many other IPs Nintendo could choose from.
I certainly agree with this sentiment; however, I would also assert that Mario is one of the IPs that Nintendo could choose from. :troll:

But as far as merits for Smash bros., Ghirahim has much more potential for a fresh moveset, while he is a one off villain, he was way more prominent in his game than Zant or every other villain barring Ganon or Skull Kid, also Sakurai seems to be going for more recent characters in newcomers this time around, so Ghirahim isn't that much of a stretch. I agree Epona is more iconic or recognizable, but there's a reason no one even considers her an option, she's just a horse, i don't think they'll opt for that before any other actual character.
Also PETA wouldn't ever let go if that happened :troll:
Did you not hear? Ghirahim is in Hyrule Warriors! He is no longer a "one-off villain," gods be praised.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If I was to place bets on a sixth Zelda character, I think I'd probably consider Impa now Lucina's confirmed new clones are a thing again.

(although I'd honestly prefer Vaati; realistically he's the least likely out of Ghirahim, Impa and himself at this point)

Morbi

Scavenger
If I was to place bets on a sixth Zelda character, I think I'd probably consider Impa now Lucina's confirmed new clones are a thing again.

(although I'd honestly prefer Vaati; realistically he's the least likely out of Ghirahim, Impa and himself at this point)
The real question: would Impa be more of a Sheik clone? Or a Greninja clone? :denzel:

I certainly hope that Gunahndarf does not make it into Smash. Dankey Kang has more merit.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Honestly, that famitsu interview confirmed me that the amount of rep doesn't matter, but the character's playstyle and his potential does. And playstyle is from a general perspective, not some moves.

So, with a fourth fe rep, I wonder how broad the roster became. It makes my prediction for some fuzzy because I don't know if they will happen or not, but both are possible enough to happen.

In short, I'm more in the dark.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Vaati has more potential for a unique moveset than Girahim. Has appeared in three games so he has a solid basis.
Girahim is... well.. almost uninspired.
He is the most likely. If the trophy was from SS and the music was from SS then out of all the SS characters I think Girahim makes the most chance. Ganondorf gets a demise outfit? maybe?

sad day.

I really wanted vaati

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'd still think a character that will most likely appear in 5 games (because it's more likely than not he'll be in HW) is better than one than one that's only appeared in 2. (If we can even count HW, which I don't think we can, as I believe it's too late to be considered.)

domokl

Smash Lord
I'd still think a character that will most likely appear in 5 games (because it's more likely than not he'll be in HW) is better than one than one that's only appeared in 2. (If we can even count HW, which I don't think we can, as I believe it's too late to be considered.)
I don't think any of the toon characters will be in HW as the wind waker is regular zeldas weapon and that seems like it would be toon links weapon or toon zeldas weapon

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Vaati has more potential for a unique moveset than Girahim. Has appeared in three games so he has a solid basis.
Girahim is... well.. almost uninspired.
He is the most likely. If the trophy was from SS and the music was from SS then out of all the SS characters I think Girahim makes the most chance. Ganondorf gets a demise outfit? maybe?

sad day.

I really wanted vaati
Honestly, Vaati was only prominent in one of those three games, in Four Sword Adventures he was more of a background element than a villain, i mean he does nothing, then you defeat him so you can go to the real final boss wich is Ganon. Minish cap is the game where he got all his backstory and abilities exposed.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I personally believe that people are over estimating Ghirahim's chances. Remember what happened when Brawl came out? We got a Twilight Princess stage along with updated character models for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. This time we're getting a Skyward Sword stage along with updated items from the Zelda series. I don't think the Skyward Sword representation is going to extend much past that.

Morbi

Scavenger
It is not too late to be considered as Sakurai was more likely than not, aware of the existence of the project before it even started. Regardless, Ghirahim was in high demand around when the roster was finalized, and the notion that he has only ever appeared in one title was NEVER relevant. If one could objectively establish why that negates his chance, they would certainly be the first. The sentiment is utterly arbitrary and I highly doubt Sakurai was like, "ROFL, Debbie was only EVA in uno game, I WAZ gonna includes her... but... never mind! Lol."

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
It is not too late to be considered as Sakurai was more likely than not, aware of the existence of the project before it even started. Regardless, Ghirahim was in high demand around when the roster was finalized, and the notion that he has only ever appeared in one title was NEVER relevant. If one could objectively establish why that negates his chance, they would be the first. The sentiment is utterly arbitrary and I highly doubt Sakurai was like, "ROFL, Debbie was only EVA in uno game, I WAZ gonna includes her... but... never mind! Lol."
The only in one game is really just a fan theory like the name fan theory.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think any of the toon characters will be in HW as the wind waker is regular zeldas weapon and that seems like it would be toon links weapon or toon zeldas weapon
Honestly I am expecting to see a HW version of some of the Toon characters, seems like a waste to not include half the franchise when they're redesigning certain individuals like Impa anyway.

This is how I felt about Toad over Rosalina. Didn't end well for me. I'm going to be cynical and predict latest characters of a series > older classic characters of a series.

(although I'd still prefer you to be right. I want my Vaati, dammit)

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Yeah it would technically wouldn't count since content decisions will probably be finalized in post-Tropical Freeze.
Out of curiosity, are you assuming there's going to be Tropical Freeze content?, or has Sakurai shown or stated something about it? Becuase of what we've seen so far it seems to be more like post Pokémon X & Y content.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Again, I'm not too keen on Ghirahim, but being a one-shot isn't really a good argument against a character.
Well, you have to remember that not only is Shiek Zelda in disguise, but she came from the revolutionary game Ocarina of Time AND has a highly praised moveset that kept her in and kept Mewtwo out.
Ghirahim came from Skyward Sword, which is not as game-changing as Ocarina was...And there's no signs of him returning to be as big a reoccurring threat as Ganondorf.

Also, Melee's roster kinda sucked on toast. Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falcondorf...

domokl

Smash Lord
Well, you have to remember that not only is Shiek Zelda in disguise, but she came from the revolutionary game Ocarina of Time AND has a highly praised moveset that kept her in and kept Mewtwo out.
Ghirahim came from Skyward Sword, which is not as game-changing as Ocarina was...And there's no signs of him returning to be as big a reoccurring threat as Ganondorf.

Girahim is a very important peice of the timeline basically bringing demise who brought the curse which brought the zelda series.girahim could have a great moveset too and why does melee roster suckingg matter.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

You forgot to mention that Sheik has appeared in another title, Ocarina of Time 3DS; which, for all intents and purposes, is a separate game. However, if you wanted to get creative, you could even assert that she was present during Smash Brothers (it is an obscure fighting game series that you would not have heard of).

... I have been supporting Ghirahim for too long.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think a Zelda newcomer is unlikely, but thats just me for arbitrary reasons.

At this point if I get Shulk, I'll be rather happy. Add Snake onto that and I won't complain about anything.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Without those clones it would have sucked even more, since they were added to beef up the roster when the game was in late development, without those we wouldn't have had anyone else on their spot.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I just think that means that we aren't getting two versions of the same character, which I highly prefer.

Honestly, Vaati was only prominent in one of those three games, in Four Sword Adventures he was more of a background element than a villain, i mean he does nothing, then you defeat him so you can go to the real final boss wich is Ganon. Minish cap is the game where he got all his backstory and abilities exposed.
In 4 Swords, he was also the main villain, and in Adventures he was the secondary villain, so he was pretty important in all 3.

Again, I'm not too keen on Ghirahim, but being a one-shot isn't really a good argument against a character.
I'd agree with this, if only Sheik was her own character in the beginning. I bet Sakurai just didn't want to cut her because
1. He was going to have transformation characters, but figured it was too difficult to get it to work on the 3DS (theory)
2. He doesn't like cutting characters to begin with.

EDIT:And Morbid just reminded me that OoT3D also does count towards Sheik's appearences, since Sakurai does seem to consider remakes seperate games.

It is not too late to be considered as Sakurai was more likely than not, aware of the existence of the project before it even started. Regardless, Ghirahim was in high demand around when the roster was finalized, and the notion that he has only ever appeared in one title was NEVER relevant. If one could objectively establish why that negates his chance, they would certainly be the first. The sentiment is utterly arbitrary and I highly doubt Sakurai was like, "ROFL, Debbie was only EVA in uno game, I WAZ gonna includes her... but... never mind! Lol."
I think he's a bit more cautious with new characters than that. He probably doesn't know whether he'll return or not, which could make him forgetful and unimportant in the years to come if he doesn't ever return.

This is how I felt about Toad over Rosalina. Didn't end well for me. I'm going to be cynical and predict latest characters of a series > older classic characters of a series.

(although I'd still prefer you to be right. I want my Vaati, dammit)
But Rosalina at least returned with Galaxy 2 and was looking to be one of the main cast of characters in Mario. Ghirahim, we don't get as much vibe from him as we did Rosalina.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Bull.

Skyward Sword was a huge deal for the franchise.
It changed a lot.

And, also, Skyward Sword was like Miyamoto's pet project.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
You forgot to mention that Sheik has appeared in another title, Ocarina of Time 3DS; which, for all intents and purposes, is a separate game. However, if you wanted to get creative, you could even assert that she was present during Smash Brothers (it is an obscure fighting game series that you would not have heard of).

... I have been supporting Ghirahim for too long.
There was also a Gamecube port of OoT.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Without those clones it would have sucked even more, since they were added to beef up the roster when the game was in late development, without those we wouldn't have had anyone else on their spot.
Actually I think we would have had King Dedede or someone to that extend?

Didn't Sakurai say that he had to choose between one unique character (King Dedede) or 6 clones in order to make the roster look larger in Melee or something along those lines?

domokl

Smash Lord
I just think that means that we aren't getting two versions of the same character, which I highly prefer.

In 4 Swords, he was also the main villain, and in Adventures he was the secondary villain, so he was pretty important in all 3.

I'd agree with this, if only Sheik was her own character in the beginning. I bet Sakurai just didn't want to cut her because
1. He was going to have transformation characters, but figured it was too difficult to get it to work on the 3DS (theory)
2. He doesn't like cutting characters to begin with.

I think he's a bit more cautious with new characters than that. He probably doesn't know whether he'll return or not, which could make him forgetful and unimportant in the years to come if he doesn't ever return.

But Rosalina at least returned with Galaxy 2 and was looking to be one of the main cast of characters in Mario. Ghirahim, we don't get as much vibe from him as we did Rosalina.
On the third point wouldn't girahim getting into smash make him not forgetful? I mean look at mother and f zero and sheik. Putting a character intyuo smash make them more popular as a whole.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Out of curiosity, are you assuming there's going to be Tropical Freeze content?, or has Sakurai shown or stated something about it? Becuase of what we've seen so far it seems to be more like post Pokémon X & Y content.
We already seen Sakurai reference to Super Mario 3D World in one pic-of-the-day, so we already know we could potentially get content newly present in the whole year of 2013 than just past Pokemon X and Y content, but the main reason for me is that I think Dixie Kong is getting in, and Tropical Freeze will be the main reason she gets in.

Morbi

Scavenger
The clones of Melee are the reason I loved that game, the lack thereof in Brawl is the reason I hated that roster.

I think a Zelda newcomer is unlikely, but thats just me for arbitrary reasons.

At this point if I get Shulk, I'll be rather happy. Add Snake onto that and I won't complain about anything.
I have always been an advocate for a Legend of Zelda newcomer, even prior to the trophy quiz theory (which serves to confirm my beliefs); however, I can most certainly agree with your last statement. I have lost the right to complain about anything pertaining to the characters in this game as I already have everything I need and I presumably have everything that I want (Ridley... Ghirahim or Impa :troll:). So once (if :troll:) Black Shadow is confirmed as something other than playable, I will not even be able to express my disdain.

domokl

Smash Lord
Actually I think we would have had King Dedede or someone to that extend?

Didn't Sakurai say that he had to choose between one unique character (King Dedede) or 6 clones in order to make the roster look larger in Melee or something along those lines?
Yes he did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom