• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Did they? You mean in the credits? Did they say things like so and so blah blahs into battle?
The credits, yes. But many of them were featured outside the ZSS/Sheik/Yoshi circle--who made sense to have subtitles in their banners since they were being introduced for the first time--during the character segment itself. Samus, Pit, Kirby, Dedede, Lucario, Rosalina, Mega Man, and Little Mac among others also had banners popping up during the segment. The only difference is that they didn't need to have splash text along the lines of "Joins the Battle" (which in the Japanese version is the only proclamation made about all the newcomers rather than something fancy like "Hungers for Battle") because they were already confirmed to begin with.

The only real exception made with a returning veteran getting that sort of treatment in a trailer to date is Charizard, and even then, it could be argued that it was done for effect since he was revealed so early in the trailer (that, and it went with the trend with all the other established characters in the Direct).

D

Deleted member

They could give Snake less realistic moves to keep him in the game, like making the grenade look more like a bob omb, his missile like a samus missile, etc
Or they could just keep his moves all together because he isn't the reason Brawl got a T rating. Accordin to the ESRB, it was listed for Crude Humor (Wario farts & the like I assume) & the potential for people to create rude content online (Then again, there was Mario Kart DS *shudder*)

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me what is the appeal with Ghirahim? I never really liked him in Skyward Sword....he was just kind of a Jerk who wanted the world to be destroyed....for some reason...

I'm saying that he didn't have any backstory.

His true identity helps put his backstory all together. When you find out who he truly is. That gets revealed at the end of the game.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I just think it was just a weird trailer oversight.

Something that's been bugging me.

Do you guys think that there will even be unlockable characters in the game?

We know about unlockable characters from the previous games than the starter characters from Brawl.

We know of Lucario, Marth, Luigi, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Toon Link.

While we still don't know about Meta Knight, Wario, Lucas, and Ice Climbers.

I would be surprised if they decided to flip the entire roster when it came to starter characters. What does everyone else think?
I hope they do continue to have unlockable characters because that is what brings the fun and challenging element to the game for me.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Also this is an interesting topic, Snake deconfirmed?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69673699
I don't know much about ESRB ratings and how they work though.
That's the 3DS version, not the Wii U version. That being said, due to the 3DS not having the best of graphics, I would say there is still a chance for Snake to be in. Also if someone could check the WII U version please do, as I'm quite sure with Melee and Brawl both being rated T that the Wii U version would be as well.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Bandana Dee's lack of appearance compared to other characters from other franchises, like Toad, is what kinda hurts him.
Well what Bandana Dee has over Toad is that he actually has a distinguishable identity and appearance amongst other Waddle Dees, unlike Toad with other Toads.
The other thing is, Dixie could justifiably have a few similar moves to Diddy as a semiclone to Diddy for a fourth DK rep. Bandana Dee is -too- original for that, so Lucina doesn't really help Bandana Dee at all. In fact, she hurts him because he's not a character than can be made into an easy clone, and other franchises need to get first, second, or third reps before a franchise can justifiably receive a fourth entirely unique character.
I am unsure why you said this but yes this is true. I only said he'd have the same sword tip mechanic, not that he'd be a clone.
Not to mention the fact that they likely had to completely rework Metaknight, which probably sapped any attention away from being able to add a fourth Kirby character. The possibility is there, but there are other franchises that, frankly, are more deserving of getting additional reps and other characters that should get in first.
This is also true.

I just said why I figured people look up to Bandana Dee. Or least why I like the character.
This is Saturn's newest roster:
Someone should tell him that we're not getting three playable Zeldas.
Because we're not getting three playable Zeldas.
Also this is an interesting topic, Snake deconfirmed?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69673699
I don't know much about ESRB ratings and how they work though.
there are literally more e10+ games than actual e games these days.

I never understood why Smash was rated T anyways. ...Except for Melee for a certain reason.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I always thought Melee was Teen because the Everyone 10+ rating didn't exist back then and it was too much to be Everyone, and even though it wasn't really Teen material it was closer to it than the Everyone rating.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

This is the roster I think will have a good chance of making it in the game.

Bandana Dee:
I know some people have a problem with him. However I find him fine, and is the best choice for the 4th Kirby Rep. He can have a unique moveset that uses spears, or potentially he could summon all of the enemies that Kirby fights thoughout the games. His appearence in the 2015 Kirby game, (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse) proves that he is more than just a generic Waddle Dee.

Ridley:
It's Ridley.

Chorus Kids:
We saw an enemy from Rhythm Heaven in smash. I say that Chorus Men have a huge likely hood because of that reason.

Shulk:
I know squat about Shulk or his series, he is kind of a padding character for me. I have no opinion of him.

Cuts:
I'm confident that Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are the only cuts. Maaaybe Lucas, but I REALLY don't like that.

I'm thinking that there will be 3 trailers in the August direct:

1. Wario and Chorus Men reveal plus a random veteran like Ice Climbers.

2. Shulk and Falco vs Ridley and Ganondorf.

3. Bandana Dee, Jiggs, and Meta Knight trailer.

Also I think that Ness or Lucas will be revealed during the final day of Comic Con San Diego as that is the anniversary of Mother 1.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Because you know the full roster, right? ;)
No, but enough people complain about two Links to where Sakurai would probably get the hint that three Zeldas is a bad idea.
Besides it makes more sense to add another variation of Ganon than another Link or Zelda.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark & say that Melee was T because Giga Bowser.
Nope.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

This is the roster I think will have a good chance of making it in the game.

Bandana Dee:
I know some people have a problem with him. However I find him fine, and is the best choice for the 4th Kirby Rep. He can have a unique moveset that uses spears, or potentially he could summon all of the enemies that Kirby fights thoughout the games. His appearence in the 2015 Kirby game, (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse) proves that he is more than just a generic Waddle Dee.

Ridley:
It's Ridley.

Chorus Kids:
We saw an enemy from Rhythm Heaven in smash. I say that Chorus Men have a huge likely hood because of that reason.

Shulk:
I know squat about Shulk or his series, he is kind of a padding character for me. I have no opinion of him.

Cuts:
I'm confident that Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are the only cuts. Maaaybe Lucas, but I REALLY don't like that.

I'm thinking that there will be 3 trailers in the August direct:

1. Wario and Chorus Men reveal plus a random veteran like Ice Climbers.

2. Shulk and Falco vs Ridley and Ganondorf.

3. Bandana Dee, Jiggs, and Meta Knight trailer.

Also I think that Ness or Lucas will be revealed during the final day of Comic Con San Diego as that is the anniversary of Mother 1.
Looks like a pretty good roster overall, I think. There are a few characters I would personally have included, but the ones you have are solid choices.

Though about Bandana Dee... While I think he's a fine choice for a roster, I thought Rainbow Curse had multiple Bandana Dees? So wouldn't that mean that Bandana Dee is now a generic... Bandana Dee? I mean, it seems like Bandana Dee is turning into a sub species of Waddle Dees.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Looks like a pretty good roster overall, I think. There are a few characters I would personally have included, but the ones you have are solid choices.

Though about Bandana Dee... While I think he's a fine choice for a roster, I thought Rainbow Curse had multiple Bandana Dees? So wouldn't that mean that Bandana Dee is now a generic... Bandana Dee? I mean, it seems like Bandana Dee is turning into a sub species of Waddle Dees.
That's a funny thought I haven't thought of before. I guess so.

But that's saying Kirby is a generic character because he has multiple color variations in Amazing Mirror. I'm pretty sure something similar is going to happen with Bandana Dee.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's a funny thought I haven't thought of before. I guess so.

But that's saying Kirby is a generic character because he has multiple color variations in Amazing Mirror. I'm pretty sure something similar is going to happen with Bandana Dee.
Well, Amazing Mirror had Kirby split into four separate individuals for the majority of the game. Whether or not the situations are comparable depends on whether an individual Bandana Dee was split into four separate entities, or if there are just multiple Bandana Dees in general.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Calling it RIGHT NOW.

Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) on 3DS eShop plus Ness and Lucas reveal!
"COME ON, REGGIE! GIVE US MOTHER 3!" Plus a Ness reveal.

"WHAT ABOUT STAR FOX!?" How about Falco?

And finally, we can only keep our fingers crossed for this, but...."Shulk joins the battle!"

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
"COME ON, REGGIE! GIVE US MOTHER 3!" Plus a Ness reveal.

"WHAT ABOUT STAR FOX!?" How about Falco?

And finally, we can only keep our fingers crossed for this, but...."Shulk joins the battle!"
I still think Isaac would be more likely alongside Mother, but if Mother characters are announced at an event like SDCC, less than a week after Lucina and Robin, I don't think we'd get a newcomer. A veteran is slim at best.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly Sonic was revealed not too long after Toon Link's reveal. I'm going to assume things based off of that one instance.

Just checked. Sonic was revealed 5 days after Toon Link's reveal.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
I still think Isaac would be more likely alongside Mother, but if Mother characters are announced at an event like SDCC, less than a week after Lucina and Robin, I don't think we'd get a newcomer. A veteran is slim at best.
nah sdcc's next week
24-27

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah veterans. More veterans. Another newcomer may be a bit overkill. Here's hoping for a Ness and more clone-y Falco reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom