• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

Unrelated Rant:

I don't care what people's stances are on the leak's validity or the characters in the leak; can we just stop wording everything so that Sal Romano sounds like the leaker? Because if anything is wrong, it's that. as far as we know anyway...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unrelated Rant:

I don't care what people's stances are on the leak's validity or the characters in the leak; can we just stop wording everything so that Sal Romano sounds like the leaker? Because if anything is wrong, it's that. as far as we know anyway...
I don't believe Sal did anything in this, I fully believe he really did have a leaker. I do think his leaker BS'd the second half, but I don't think Sal would compromise himself on something like this. Not that I know anything about Sal, I just don't think he'd be stupid enough to risk lying about his position, guessing some characters and happening to get them right, then trying to pass it off as a leak. I think he had a leaker, and the leaker had legit information at first, but came back later with fake information to get more attention.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Again, I said, FIRST HALF was right, second half wrong. He didn't get 8 characters, he got 7, the seventh of which everyone guessed anyway. And what are you saying by Chrom WAS going to be in the roster? That flat out states Chrom NEVER was going to be in the roster. He merely "considered" Chrom, but it confirms Chrom was never on the final roster to begin with. If you think it says Chrom was going to be added, you're reading your own ideas into it. That's not what it says.
Why 7?

He said...

1- Pac-man
2- Megaman
3- Wii Fit Trainer
4- Villager
5- Greninja (Pokemon X&Y)
6- Palutena
7- Mii Figther
8- Little Mac

Also... at the beggining they said "Chrom was cut from the roster because he lacks any unique characteristics" so... no i'm not reading my own ideas into it, maybe you're....or... maybe we both are :p

D

Deleted member

Also... at the beggining they said "Chrom was cut from the roster because he lacks any unique characteristics" so... no i'm not reading my own ideas into it, maybe you're....or... maybe we both are :p
Those aren't Sakurai's words directly. Sakurai said this: "Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn’t easy by any means.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Gematsu: True or False?
It's even worse than Fire Emblem's character discussion.

Sakurai, please, revel Chorus Kids and Ridley in August to put a period to this too! Thanks. XD

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really wish people would drop the Gemtsu leak. It's wrong, that's it. Maybe, when the game comes out, Chorus Men and Shulk will be in and we will find developmental material for Chrom on disk that would lead us to the conclusion that he was planned to be playable early in development. At that point we can say "hey, this guy had some real info, it was just out dated!" Right now though, the only thing that matters is that it has proven unreliable in regards to predicting future characters.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
The first leak was real
Once Sakurai found out about the leak, he leaked false information to Gematsu
WHAM
We have a second fake leak, so he can announce some proper characters and surprise us.
well done Sakurai, well done.
Trolling at its finest.

Sasuga desu ne

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Those aren't Sakurai's words directly. Sakurai said this: "Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn’t easy by any means.”
Poor wording by mynintendonews. You should just read a translation of the actual column written by Sakurai.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201
You're both right, but also... we don't really know if some of the character that were considered were also in the first planned roster, so... yeah i wouldn't say one thing or the other, unless you ask Sakurai :p

But yeah i agree that there's no point on talking about the Gematsu leak, if it's real, YAY!, if is not... YAY! :drohyou:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Y'know, the Sal leak isn't really 8/11. The first leak was 6/6, and the second leak is 2/5. Considering that Palutena was already extremely likely, and the leaker wasn't specific about Greninja, it's completely possible that the second leak is BS. The only thing that makes me doubt this, is the Sneaky Spirit.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on the second leak:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Can someon etell me where Bandana Dee's following comes from?

Because to me it sort of just seems like making a Goomba playable.
I'm not a huge fan of Kirby but there's a huge difference. Bandana Dee is the same species as a Waddle Dee but he's adapted to become a main character in the series. He's also appearing in many of the new games and is even playable. Think of Captain Toad. He's still a Toad, but he's become a highly recognizable figure in the Mario series that can differ from the other Toads.

And hey! Goomba would stomp sh-t up! :troll:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My thoughts on the second leak:

Hopefully by next month's Nintendo Direct?

About the gematsu leak (sorry if I had to bring this up), even though there are a number of questionable things, I think it would be better wait and see what happens with the next two months, that is when I believe we will get the answers.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Another thing I just realized is that the third leak was the first one to refer to the Miis as "Mii Fighters". So he still had accurate information all the way up to E3.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really wish people would drop the Gemtsu leak. It's wrong, that's it. Maybe, when the game comes out, Chorus Men and Shulk will be in and we will find developmental material for Chrom on disk that would lead us to the conclusion that he was planned to be playable early in development. At that point we can say "hey, this guy had some real info, it was just out dated!" Right now though, the only thing that matters is that it has proven unreliable in regards to predicting future characters.
Agreed. At the very least, the Gematsu leak itself means nothing anymore towards speculating a character's chances.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
The first leak was real
Once Sakurai found out about the leak, he leaked false information to Gematsu
WHAM
We have a second fake leak, so he can announce some proper characters and surprise us.
well done Sakurai, well done.
Trolling at its finest.

Sasuga desu ne

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Leaks.

They will steal your soul. Really.

I never played a XenoBlade game in my life, so I am kinda neutral on this leak thing.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah, I saw a trailer for Xenoblade and it really didn't interest me. However, I realize that Shulk has many supporters so his inclusion wouldn't bother me.

I'm just hoping for some more Paper Mario content(a character would be even better) and King K. Rool. Goombella should totally do some snarky codecs Tattle Logs.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

to

Goombella:
That's Sonic the Hedgehog, his ATTACK and DEFENSE aren't really high but he makes that up with his incredible SPEED! However, if he collects all the Chaos Emeralds, He can transform into a stronger form called, "Super Sonic." While in this form, his ATTACK, DEFENSE, and SPEED go off the charts! Yikes!

I've studied diamonds and all kinds of other gems while attending University of Goom, but I've never seen anything like the Chaos Emeralds! We should totally look for some in the near future!
I posted this in the Paper Mario support thread.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Like I said yesterday, there's no reason to completely disregard it. He got info right, and it's fairly reliable information based on what we got. However, the fact he got Chrom wrong could because of anything. Whether its fake or for whatever reason.

What i'm saying is, I would treat it as Shulk and Marshal/Chorus Men are in, but we could get more based on incomplete information.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I bet 100% of the time, if Toad was not Peach's B. Everyone would freak out saying Toad 100% confirmed. Even though he has NO distinguishing features from other toads.

King Dedede's Side-B can only toss Gordos, and everyone says that is just a coincidence. It is all about preference.

Bandana Dee isn't even in a "Captain Toad" situation, because of the Gordos.

You obviously don't care for him, I can't change that. I probably don't like some of your most wanted characters, I probably won't chance MY stance on them.

We just have to wait and see.
Imo, the only reason I could find of Waddle Dee being removed from King DDD side B is because Sakurai said he wanted to remove "some" RNG based elements. For example... he made a pattern for Olimar's Pikmin and he removed tripping. I just think he's putting time and effort to balance the game. Ofcourse RNG will probably still remain like Peach's turnip and Game&Watch's hammer thing... but Sakurai wants things to be fair, so instead of summoning a bunch of waddledee's in a row.. he probably changed it so King DDD feels more like a slow heavy hitter. Plus having waddledee's walk around was annoying. It could also slightly have had something to do with the 3DS capabilities... but doubt it. I just feel like Bandana Dee has a very low chance since nothing else points out for him to be a character. There has to be multiple instances that point out toward a new comer when speculating and theorizing.

Edit: There is a difference between wanted newcomers and new comer speculations. This is probably what throws people into arguments. Smash is so hyped because we have no clue when we'll get another one or if this is the last one in the series. Meaning some people will be disappointed in some way or form, and they don't want their hopes crushed.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Why do you say that, if I may ask? It is possible DK doesn't get a new rep, but that'd be the stupidest thing I ever heard, considering the fact that DK is the fourth-best selling Nintendo franchise (fine, fifth if you count "Wii" games), and had MASSIVE success with the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns selling over 6 million copies. The lack of a new DK stage yet may also indicate they're saving it for a DK trailer.
I just don't think it. My belief in K.Rool's chances are non-existent, and I'd rather not have Dixie at all if she's just a Diddy clone.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This isn't a diplomatic meeting. I really doubt Sakurai will look at the roster and say "oh we're missing a DK rep better add one". If one got in, it should because of their own merits, and not because DK is "underrepresented."

And yet, why don't people say the same thing for other series? Wario has TWO series, so why don't I see any posts about how the Wario series is "underrepresented"?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233365-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-sakurai-talks-about-little-mac-s-inclusion
Vol. 448 - "Little Heads May Contain Much Learning"

"Punch-Out!!" arcade machines were in operation thirty years ago. The game was copyrighted in 1983--the same year that saw the birth of the Famicom.

Everything about the game was incredible to me: the wire-frame avatar and the cartoonishly exaggerated opponents, the multi-screen display reminiscent of the Nintendo DS, the synthesized speech. In a genre that tends toward launching punches at random, this game stood out as one that encouraged you to logically consider how to attack the opponent.

I suppose the Famicom version of the game is far more popular--which I of course understand, but its arcade predecessor is a classic in its own right.

That said, I certainly never thought I would ever get involved with the game's protagonist. I mean, the same goes for Mario, Link, Pit, and Megaman. At this point, I must have officially worked with the protagonists of more popular series than any other game designer in the world.

I recently announced the fifth newcomer to "Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U": Little Mac. Seeing as he is a boxing character, all he can use are his two fists, which places considerable limits on his movements and techniques--not to mention the fact that he's also pretty tiny. He's a truly interesting character, though.

First of all, his offensive capabilities on the ground are extremely high. He can close distances with a speedy sprint then counter with a powerful Smash attack without flinching from weak incoming attacks. He can swiftly dodge an oncoming barrage, counter in a pinch and then blast the opponent away with a megaton punch to turn the tables.

Little Mac also has his very own special system: the KO Gauge! The meter fills as you dish out and receive damage; once the gauge is completely full, you can unleash a deadly KO Uppercut. Utilize this system well, and you can easily blast through your opponents. Little Mac is a force to be reckoned with!

He's an adrenaline rush embodied, but he also comes with a glaring weakness: he's extremely clumsy in the air. His attacks are weak, and he leaves himself wide open both while attack and landing. He just flaps his arms around up there--it's pretty pathetic. His jump and recovery are also pretty unimpressive; get tossed off the ledge and it could easily prove fatal. He scores a lot of KOs in combat, but he also often becomes KO fodder himself.

In that case, you might imagine that a walk-off stage (note: stage in which characters cannot fall to their deaths) would be quite advantageous for such a character. I suppose that would tend to be the case, but there's no such thing as a walk-off stage without platforms or some difference in the level of its terrain.

Balancing a character comprised of opposing extremes is always quite difficult. Depending on the style of match, he'll either clobber the competition or get completely shut out. He could even become broken in some combat environments.

However, when choosing a character, I want to focus on whether he/she has some kind of special ability that no other character does, and whether he/she contributes to making a better and more enjoyable gaming experience. Compared to these two primary concerns, "balance" and "fairness" are afterthoughts. I mean, hasn't Smash Bros. always been that kind of game? You get together with your friends, duke it out and have a good laugh--that's what the game is really about. It's no fun if all the characters are the same.

After many rounds of testing, I can say with certainty that Little Mac will be a character to watch out for. You will need to strategize when you select him as your character--and when you face off with him as your opponent. I think having him in Smash really spices things up.

...That said, I haven't even announced the game's release date yet. For now, I'm going to keep on adding all sorts of elements to the new Smash.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This isn't a diplomatic meeting. I really doubt Sakurai will look at the roster and say "oh we're missing a DK rep better add one". If one got in, it should because of their own merits, and not because DK is "underrepresented."

And yet, why don't people say the same thing for other series? Wario has TWO series, so why don't I see any posts about how the Wario series is "underrepresented"?
Because DK is infinitely more popular and sells infinitely better, is historically important to Nintendo, and contains one of the most wanted Newcomers in Smash history.

Wario has Mona, Jimmy T., and Captain Syrup, who, while all interesting in their own right, are not popular or requested.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Because DK is infinitely more popular and sells infinitely better, is historically important to Nintendo, and contains one of the most wanted Newcomers in Smash history.

Wario has Mona, Jimmy T., and Captain Syrup, who, while all interesting in their own right, are not popular or requested.
And yet Fire Emblem gets FOUR reps... I don't think Sakurai cares about stuff like that, frankly.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I agree for the roster that representation of series doesn't matter that much.

I think however that it matters but for others content like trophies or music. For instance, I don't think that the Paper Mario series being underepresented will help his chances but his potential does. Tough, because his series is underepresented, it can matters to have a better repping in general (might not be roster related).

Though, with how much improvement I see so far with general repping, I'm sure it got a lot broader and this can help underepresented series for better rep but also for the roster even if it shouldn't matter that much that a series is underreped.

Basically, broader roster but it still depends on the characters themselves.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Guys.

I like Shulk. I don't even mind the idea of Chorus Kids. But do you NEED a leak that has holes in it to support them? Are you really THAT insecure? Can't you support them for their moveset potential?

I support Ridley, but I'm not latching onto any random leak that has Ridley confirmed as a character in it. You can support Shulk and Rhythm Heaven in the same way, without some anonymous tipper.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Guys.

I like Shulk. I don't even mind the idea of Chorus Kids. But do you NEED a leak that has holes in it to support them? Are you really THAT insecure? Can't you support them for their moveset potential?

I support Ridley, but I'm not latching onto any random leak that has Ridley confirmed as a character in it. You can support Shulk and Rhythm Heaven in the same way, without some anonymous tipper.
Some people tend to mix want and expect and I just hate this since you shouldn't support because you expect but because you want. And you shouldn't expect only because you want but because you expect. Mixing those happened way too much before but it seems to get better now.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Guys.

I'm using this leak to support Vaati, is that bad?

:troll:

You like my Microsoft Paint skills? :awesome:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Some people tend to mix want and expect and I just hate this since you shouldn't support because you expect but because you want. And you shouldn't expect only because you want but because you expect. Mixing those happened way too much before but it seems to get better now.
Hm. Good point. I might've done that a bit to.
I'm personally expecting Ghirahim and Dark Pit, though I'm wanting Pig Ganon and Medusa.

New theory: Sakurai is teasing characters that people will expect, but in general do not legitimately want. A majority of supporters of Chrom likely supported him because they expected the protagonist of Awakening to be included. More hype characters will be used as a bait-and-switch.

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys.

It is evidence in their favor despite the notion that it is not objectively true. It is not "necessary" per se; however, it certainly helps.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys.

I honestly don't even think most of the people that still defend the leak are fans of Shulk or the Chorus men. They are just VERY used to the idea of it, and I suppose not knowing is scary for some. It hasn't really been brought up at all in the Shulk thread since the Robin reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom