• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion: Diddy Kong

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX

Things To Remember While Discussing!

Code:
* Manners and keep it intelligible...
Do not insult or yell at the other people discussing inside of this thread. Be civilized
and try to present an intelligent argument.

* Match-Up ratios are fairly subjective...
Please don't overrate or underestimate a character. Be helpful and constructive in your
criticism of each individual character.

* READ the discussion before posting...
Information should not be reposted unless being argued against or added on to. Make sure 
you read what others have posted before putting forth your "2 cents".

* Discussion will be held for about 2 weeks.

Diddy Kong

:diddy: vs. :dk2:

Ratio - ??:??

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Summary:

Aerial Game:

Ground Game:

Approach:

Camping Game:

Edge Game:

Surviving:

Killing:

Stage Striking:

Stage Banning:

Counterpicks:

Video Links:

Tujex

Smash Ace
Don't know a lot about this match-up since I've only played like 1 or 2 good Diddy's.

But I do know...that if DK gets control over the bananas, you can easily set-up for easy kills. I'd say it's essential that every DK know how to glidetoss efficiently specifically for this match-up, since naner into Dsmash is VERY effective.

I play this match-up more defensively than offensively. While we kill Diddy pretty early, the little booger is really fast and all over the place. Not to mention a good Diddy can apply tremendous pressure with naners.

But I can't give any real advice....since I've only played like 1 good Diddy ever, and we only had like 2 matches.

crifer

Smash Lord
You should always ban FD against Diddy.
If you grab him, try to get him in the air and juggle him, or throw him offstage and try to gimp (bair and upB) him.
You can easily start a comeback with a simple upB regrab.
Try to use the nanaz against him or throw them up in the air.
Grab a lot! If you hit his sheild and he has a nana, it´s pretty much a safe counter ant combo/string starter for diddy. Watch out for his fair he can kill you with it relativ early offstage.

For stages I would say CP BF, YI or Delfino.

maybe 55:45 for diddy.

edit: lol Te-Jay, same thoughts xD

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
throwing bananas at Diddy is a bad idea. its very easy for him to regain control of a banana thrown at him, and DK's glidetoss is one of the worst in the game: it goes really far, yes, but (and this is a big but) he has a huge amount of lag from his throw. so basically what happens is, DK glides towards the enemy, completely vulnerable. a thrown banana is easily powershielded, or even just standard shielded, and then the glide can be punished very severely.

its a much better idea to Z drop bananas during shorthops, that way the bananas stay under DK's control and they stay close to DK where Diddy will have to approach to regain control of it.

another thing that may be useful is the following: if you grab a banana, you can still do smash attacks. when you grab the banana, keep A pressed. do not release the A button. then, you can use the C-stick to perform your smash attacks. i know this sounds dumb, but if DK can perform smash attacks, wouldnt it be possible to perform regular tilts? this is a legitimate question, if somebody can please do some testing to see what happens it would be a great help. if it is confirmed that DK can use his tilts and jabs (maybe even aerials? somebody test please) while holding a banana, imagine how much easier it would make the matchup. it would force Diddy to always have 2 bananas out, while only being able to use 1. "Thats great, but how am i going to hold down the A button and use my tilts at the same time?" What i'm thinking is that if it is possible, then you could set a button you dont use so often (for me it would be the L button) to attack, so that you can use that button to pick up items, and to keep it held so that you can use your thumb on the A button to perform your tilts. Like i said, all this is just speculation on my part, i dont have a wii, so i cant test all this stuff, but i think its important to know whether or not its possible.

OK, so all that info above was for dealing with banana camping/spam.
the rest is for dealing with Diddy without bananas. It's much easier, but its still not a walk in the park. Diddy's dash attack is too good. safe on shield, fast, hardly any lag and it combos into his usmash. downb could stop it, but its too slow. i honestly dont know what DK should do in this situation, my guess is upb OoS. Diddy isn't completely helpless offstage either. his recovery is predictable, but its also really really good. his sideb can grab us and put us in a bad situation, while helping him to get back onstage safely. bair will help a great deal in keeping Diddy offstage. he also has a blind spot below him, the hitbox for his dair is not so great.

the good news is that Diddy wont kill DK til he's well into 160+%. dsmash is pretty easy to see coming, unfortunately, he can combo into it with his bananas. fair will kill at about the same percent as dsmash, and he can also combo into it from his dash attack. fsmash is SDI-able, especially at higher percents where the first hit will send you further away from Diddy. 2 other moves to keep in mind when you're at death percents are ftilt and utilt. they will kill, and utilt is pretty fast and has a pretty good hitbox (Diddy does a little hop to extend his hitbox), so dont go above Diddy at kill percents or you'll be surprised.

DK is going to kill Diddy at ~100% or less. 9 wind will deal with him much earlier, which is nice. Dsmash is good since its so fast. uair works well also.

the key is patience. DK will kill Diddy earlier, but its more likely that we're going to be at high damage when we finally do get the kill. dont let Diddy get in your head or you'll lose even faster. capitalize on any mistakes you catch. downb spamming wont work against good, intelligent Diddy players. you can use the upb superarmor frames to avoid slipping on a banana peel on the ground.

good luck.

60-40 Diddy

Luigi player

Smash Master
another thing that may be useful is the following: if you grab a banana, you can still do smash attacks. when you grab the banana, keep A pressed. do not release the A button. then, you can use the C-stick to perform your smash attacks. i know this sounds dumb, but if DK can perform smash attacks, wouldnt it be possible to perform regular tilts? this is a legitimate question, if somebody can please do some testing to see what happens it would be a great help.
You can only do fsmash or dtilt with an item in your hand.

For fsmash it's like how you said it. Hold A and press the Cstick right or left.
For the dtilt you have to tilt the controlstick a little to the right/left instead of straight down, then press A.

For aerials Z drop then aerial. You can't do it while holding the banana. If you Z drop the item during the peak of your jump you'll catch it if you do an aerial right after.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Down B is good against Diddy if you time it for when he is throwing. 2-4% vs our 10-14% while throwing him off his banana game is real nice.

As for the bananas, I like to throw the bananas to the other side of the stage so he can't string bananas as easily. If not, I throw the banana at him and immediately dash toward Diddy to do a Down B or grab since you know he is going to shield. This doesn't happen often though because there will most likely be another banana between you and Diddy. What can he do OoS any way?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
my entire gameplan vs diddy with dk is to grab him, get him off stage and gimp him with bairs/upbs.

if that isn't possible i occasionally go for juggles into a punch on a predictable naner throw

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Does Down B stop his bananas by any chance?

I think DK will have trouble if he gets stuck in a rut with banana peels everywhere because he is so massive, but some of you can bypass that in time and with that Diddy is out of this field.

Also, food for thought, which character was more preferred in Donkey Kong Country?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
in DKC i preffered playing as Diddy because his midair cartwheel to jump allowed you to get to higher places easier.

down b doesnt stop bananas, but if Diddy glidetosses forward and the downb hitbox is active, it will stop Diddy's glide toss and DK will trip.

crifer

Smash Lord
in DKC i preffered playing as Diddy because his midair cartwheel to jump allowed you to get to higher places easier.

down b doesnt stop bananas, but if Diddy glidetosses forward and the downb hitbox is active, it will stop Diddy's glide toss and DK will trip.
downB can work and is a good mixup,
but a semi intelligent diddy will jump and throw the nana, lol.
It´s somehow like the snake MU, downB sometimes, grab and gimp.

D0N

Smash Ace
Me to, same reasoning. I was proud too know that it worked although it shouldn't before I was 10 lol. I preferred Donkey Kong overall after the 64 one though.

I'm terrible in this match-up. My DK can't fight against bananas. He loves them too much. Ive been told by good diddy's (Alphazealot, Dekar) that you have to know how to use bananas and not throw them offstage.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
patience is really important in this matchup from what I've played. If you're attacking too much, you're probably not winning. I try and juggle, Powershield, and airdodge to get in and get those grabs. Also, Punishing diddy's over B seems to work well for me. Most diddy's I have played will almost almost air dodge by you when you have them up in the air for a juggle, because they don't have a great aerial to beat our upair so wait for the airdodge and punish. Idk, Wyatt ***** me pretty hard when I played him, not sure how to rate this matchup. I haven't learned it enough yet

Top Bottom