• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Culture

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I'd disagree about the awkwardness. Of course, it must vary from venue to venue, but the ones I've been to have been fairly social and relaxed. People are fairly serious when they're in a match, but otherwise I tend to see people standing around and either chatting or watching and occaisionally cheering for interesting matches.

About character personalities, I'd agree to an extent. People ultimately do wind up expressing themselves in the way they play. The Snake boards seem rather to the point and focussed on specific strategies, while the Lucario boards are a little more relaxed and talk about vague strategies. Given that Snake is a highly successful and AT based character, while Lucario is a more average generalist, it fits.

...Meanwhile, the ZSS boards seem to be filled with vaguely erotic sigs.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
The tourney scene, or culture at the tourney scene?
What you're saying is either very insightful or very rude, or some combination of the two.
Perhaps I should put it another way: an attempt to clarify, if I may.

I find a discussion about the internet culture of particular players to be, at best, mere suggestion. The anonymity of the boards themselves (gamer tags nonwithstanding) mean that each person has no difficulty in molding thier personalities to the boards they post in an creating what appears to be a "trend" where there really may only be miming.

Now, if we were to take the same scrutiny to the tournament level, we would see something completely different-- Not only becuase there is a distinct change in environment, but also a distinct change in community.

My experience, in the few tournaments I've been too, has been that the community of SSBB at competition is seriously lacking. I've come across a few players who, outside of competition, were sociable and amiable. Most, no matter the character, had little to say to anyone. Viewing an opposing player as an opponent is natural. Shutting out friendly or social action is not-- and it's awkward to see players click into two's or three's and then find some kind of pleasure in avoiding everyone else.

Then again, tournements 'round here see a lot of snake and metaknight lovers, so maybe that's tjust them ;D

Woozy

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Perhaps I should put it another way: an attempt to clarify, if I may.

I find a discussion about the internet culture of particular players to be, at best, mere suggestion. The anonymity of the boards themselves (gamer tags nonwithstanding) mean that each person has no difficulty in molding thier personalities to the boards they post in an creating what appears to be a "trend" where there really may only be miming.

Now, if we were to take the same scrutiny to the tournament level, we would see something completely different-- Not only becuase there is a distinct change in environment, but also a distinct change in community.

My experience, in the few tournaments I've been too, has been that the community of SSBB at competition is seriously lacking. I've come across a few players who, outside of competition, were sociable and amiable. Most, no matter the character, had little to say to anyone. Viewing an opposing player as an opponent is natural. Shutting out friendly or social action is not-- and it's awkward to see players click into two's or three's and then find some kind of pleasure in avoiding everyone else.

Then again, tournements 'round here see a lot of snake and metaknight lovers, so maybe that's tjust them ;D

Woozy
Interesting, but it leaves something to be explained.
How is it that a simple change of forum can change your entire personality? I know this is true because my experience has taught me that who you are with at any given time can directly alter what you act like. However, it is a curious little aspect of human psycology. Why do people morph themselves into someone they are not depending on the character being discussed? How can something so trivial make you an entirely different person?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
This thread should have died four pages ago. Yes, I'm aware this thread is four pages long.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sometimes its not transforming into something you are not, when people change based on who they are with it could be just because those people highlight certain character traits and make those traits more applicable for situations that involve that group,

its not changing into someone that they arent, its leaning toward a different part of yourself based on who is with you at the time.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
I kind of putter around the Zelda boards, and this I've discerned:

- It's a lot of gay guys and girls, with some straight men
- Many people play as both Zelda and Zamus ("the babes of Brawl" as someone put it)
- The people know their stuff but are also friendly and welcoming
- We have the best Screenshot thread around!

Here's a shout-out to all my bros and sisters who play as the smexy magical princess!

smashbot226

Smash Master
I kind of putter around the Zelda boards, and this I've discerned:

- It's a lot of gay guys and girls, with some straight men
- Many people play as both Zelda and Zamus ("the babes of Brawl" as someone put it)
- The people know their stuff but are also friendly and welcoming
- We have the best Screenshot thread around!

Here's a shout-out to all my bros and sisters who play as the smexy magical princess!
And here's to my brethren who main DK!

No offense...

Wait, I'm bandwagoning!

*DK Fsmash*

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I somewhat don't trust the Lucario board even though I second him. Why?

If you go on Google and look up "Lucario" under images, you will find some very disturbing images. And most of them are gay images... Not to say Lucario mainers are... Only some of them are... The majority of them aren't...

Where as if you look up Yoshi, you get clean, 100% appropriate images.

Don't kill me Lucario mains! *Runs away*

smashbot226

Smash Master
I somewhat don't trust the Lucario board even though I second him. Why?

If you go on Google and look up "Lucario" under images, you will find some very disturbing images. And most of them are gay images... Not to say Lucario mainers are... Only some of them are... The majority of them aren't...

Where as if you look up Yoshi, you get clean, 100% appropriate images.

Don't kill me Lucario mains! *Runs away*
LOL

so sad but true, lol.

He's become a semi-icon in the Furry world.

F*cking furries...

Also, on a similar note, I've concluded that all Toon Link mainers are Shota fans.

Don't know what that words means? Look it up on urban dictionary.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
sometimes its not transforming into something you are not, when people change based on who they are with it could be just because those people highlight certain character traits and make those traits more applicable for situations that involve that group,

its not changing into someone that they arent, its leaning toward a different part of yourself based on who is with you at the time.
Way to bump this useless thread 2 months after it died from inactivity.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Way to bump this useless thread 2 months after it died from inactivity.
Why so serious?

I actually can relate to this.

How do the dominant traits get selected for a group? If certain groups bring out different sides of our personalities, then something about the group must cause a dominant group personality to emerge.

Top Bottom