• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Glad to see the Rosa meta develop so much. This time last year, Dabuz was basically standing around. Now he's using desynchs and fancy combos and the like. Nothing unknown was shown, but many uncommon things were used by him like grab release stuff and the jab cancels on Sheik.

I'm curious if any non-Rosa players were surprised at what was shown though.
Dabuz definitely showed how Rosalina's meta has been developing very well throughout the set. He was using lunar landing to cover many options and get others (shield Luma nair>Rosalina grabs) and many strange positional combos between Rosa and Luma and nteresting baits and mixups with Luma. (Luma in rapid jab and Zero walking up only to get hit by Star Bits was amusing)

Now what I'm seriously curious about was his untethered grab release into Luma's up smash and how exactly that works and on who and when. I have something to lab a lot with now! Definitely asking him about it if I see him in the near future hopefully.

Super happy for him and with his performance in the tournament overall and he really deserves winning 2nd!
Dabuz definitely showed how Rosalina's meta has been developing very well throughout the set. He was using lunar landing to cover many options and get others (shield Luma nair>Rosalina grabs) and many strange positional combos between Rosa and Luma and nteresting baits and mixups with Luma. (Luma in rapid jab and Zero walking up only to get hit by Star Bits was amusing)

Now what I'm seriously curious about was his untethered grab into Luma's up smash and how exactly that works and on who and when. I have something to lab a lot with now! Definitely asking him about it if I see him in the near future hopefully.

Super happy for him and with his performance in the tournament overall and he really deserves winning 2nd!

Also sorry double post by accident ;;

Last edited by a moderator:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Dabuz confirmed for me tonight that considering switching to Rosalina as a primary will yield great reward and the gimmicky, unorthodox fun I crave.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Dabuz being cheered for in his sets was touching (and overdue). His mastery of Rosalina is nuts. Gonna have to rethink the ZSS MU.

I've been underrating Ness, Rosa and Needle Storm, and overrating Villager.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Dabuz being cheered for in his sets was touching (and overdue). His mastery of Rosalina is nuts. Gonna have to rethink the ZSS MU.

I've been underrating Ness, Rosa and Needle Storm, and overrating Villager.
I don't see how you could watch G3 and think Villager is overrated

:150:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Dabuz being cheered for in his sets was touching (and overdue). His mastery of Rosalina is nuts.
This so much. I grinned every time I heard "3...2...1...LUMA!" from the crowd. The man definitely deserves it.

But would Ranai's performance hurt Villager's standing at all? I don't know if many people really think he's on the same level as Sheik or ZSS, but to see him hang with the big boys as much as he did (backed by Ranai also being crazy good) should really show what he's capable of, and perhaps more down the road.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm inclined to agree on underrating Needle Storm though.

Ugh that move haha, definitely stupid good. Genesis 3 just pounded it in my face HOW good it actually was, more than I thought it was already, even.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
What can we take from Genesis 3?:
:4cloud: is crazy in doubles.
:4ness: still hanging around.
:4yoshi: looks like a dissapointing mid tier.
:4tlink: and :4peach: looking really good.
:4gaw::4pit::4wiifit: got good exposure for once. :4gaw: not in singles but Regi play was still amazing.

Mexico doesn't suck, MK Leo is not overrated (He might be the fusion of Tyrant and Abadango...).

Mars is crazy good.

:rosalina:meta advancing....

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Sheik becomes an oppressive force solely because of needles. They combine with her kit to make it too much for one character, to be able to go in hard and camp better than anyone else, all while being almost ungimpable. G3 made me rethink some characters, like I've been overrating ZSS and although I thought Villager was good, I now feel I have a better grasp of exactly how good he is.

Also Yoshi is not high tier. Go figure. Not like I've thought this the whole time or anything.

If only there was a good Greninja there. I still feel he's a very strong character, but I have little to go on but my own impressions, which means nothing. All we know about high level Greninja is that he gets beat out by Sheik. Shocker.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Sheik becomes an oppressive force solely because of needles. They combine with her kit to make it too much for one character, to be able to go in hard and camp better than anyone else, all while being almost ungimpable. G3 made me rethink some characters, like I've been overrating ZSS and although I thought Villager was good, I now feel I have a better grasp of exactly how good he is.

Also Yoshi is not high tier. Go figure. Not like I've thought this the whole time or anything.
At the very least, Cloud did good in Singles and Doubles (I didn't expect Doubles Cloud to be that insane though....heh). 17th isn't too bad for your first big event.

Yeah, if Needles were ever toned down (MOSTLY VIA ENDLAG on the grounded counterpart) it'd probably be okay but they're super super absurd right now lol. There are no answers. None. Sheik players don't even abuse it as much as they could methinks, isn't that a terrifying thought?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Ugh that move haha, definitely stupid good. Genesis 3 just pounded it in my face HOW good it actually was, more than I thought it was already, even.
But haven't needle storm, bouncing fish, and fair pretty much been the biggest complaints about Sheik since the very beginning? Makes me wonder if the developers will react to this tournament like it seems they did after Chokaigi 2015.

The thing I took away from this is how doubles for Smash 4 has pretty much been fixed thanks to the last patch, making it legitimate instead of an arms race to who can do the most jank set ups in the shortest amount of time.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
But haven't needle storm, bouncing fish, and fair pretty much been the biggest complaints about Sheik since the very beginning? Makes me wonder if the developers will react to this tournament like it seems they did at Chokaigi 2015.

The thing I took away from this is how doubles for Smash 4 has pretty much been fixed thanks to the last patch, making it legitimate instead of an arms race to who can do the most jank set ups in the shortest amount of time.
They've changed Fair and Flapping Trout but they've never altered Needles.

While they're at it, make it so her recovery is actually touchable because as is she kind of ignores any kind of risk in that regard either alongside everything else. But blegh, maybe this is just post-Genesis salt, so take what I say with the most absolute of grains.

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Do you think Nintendo kept a close eye on this tournament since they sponsored it? What if they gutted Sheik... or nerfed Villager :o

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Needles got 5 extra frames of endlag in the same patch that nerfed Bouncing Fish's knockback (1.0.4)
Wow. Guess we've found out how little that actually did then, haven't we? That's disappointing. I guess they tried and it didn't work, but I'd like them to keep trying, y'know?

The additional 5 frames IMO do NOT make up for the travel speed and the coverage they provide. Just...bleh

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Cloud in doubles really annoys me. In the same patch where healing, bucketing and pocketing to abuse TA was nerfed we get a characters can cheese far too easily.

He has amazing throws for doubles, they don't set him up well to follow up, but they easily set up a grounded ally.

His big extremely active Uair makes for easy follow ups off of allys throws/nairs/jabs.

His recovery is gimpable but its certainly not easy to gimp him FAST. The right partner can clear the way for him as we saw ranai do for Komorikiri. Double Cloud is funny, but probably weaker than Sheik/Diddy/Fox/Sonic +Cloud.

People setting up for Down B is a bit broken. Its just as unfair as pocket/bucket stuff.

Nintendo sponsoring/partnering with G3 doesn't mean the development team for Smash cares about these results. They probably just threw a couple thousand dollars at it so 100,000 people could watch Wii U/3DS commercials.

Yoshi is still under-represented. Wall is the best Yoshi but he isn't extremely experienced and hasn't traveled much. The meta for this character I think will develop more and we may see stronger placements not just from him, but other Yoshi players. That character might not be top tier, but I'd say he is up there with Villager, Toon Link and Peach.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Moving forward, we have two characters coming next month. That's one or two patches. So far, the only trends we thought we saw have been shattered, so guessing is a pointless act. BUT, with Nintendo likely paying attention to the major they just sponsored, maybe expect the next patch to reflect it somewhat. But who knows, man. They buffed Lucario's walk speed and still ignored Dedede and Duck Hunt, so Nintendo does whatever they want.

When's the next major? The game could be radically different by then. Or not. I guess the point of this post is to say, this game isn't done changing, and following it is nutty.

On another note, Genesis 3 made a statement about character selection. Bad characters don't make it into top 8. Perhaps this is the ultimate extreme, being the most stacked tournament ever, but still.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Villager's comeback potential defines the character in a lot of ways.

Villager has the strongest recovery in the game in terms of sheer distance, nice medium weight, and a lot of strong and dangerous attacks that benefit well from rage (namely F-Smash and Triple Turnips). This means that, like a few characters such as Ryu or Cloud, opponents can feel an immense amount of pressure right until the stocks disappear.

Also, I call BS on "BAD CHARACTERS DON'T MAKE TOP 8," like are you serious.

Here are some of the characters that didn't make top 8:
:4sonic::4metaknight::4ryu::4cloud::4mario:

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
:4gaw::4pit::4wiifit: got good exposure for once. :4gaw: not in singles but Regi play was still amazing.

Mexico doesn't suck, MK Leo is not overrated (He might be the fusion of Tyrant and Abadango...).

Mars is crazy good.

None of this is really surprising or new, tbh. Except Marss' and Dabuz' outstanding performances, of course.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Wow. Guess we've found out how little that actually did then, haven't we? That's disappointing. I guess they tried and it didn't work, but I'd like them to keep trying, y'know?
The problem with needles is moreso the startup/travel speed and knockback anyway, not the end lag. It's been a topic in this thread probably 10+ times already but reducing the knockback would likely be a more effective nerf than increasing endlag again - when needles are being used to punish actions across the stage, endlag is pretty irrelevant. If they just flinched you like Falco lasers instead of popping you into the air (and comboing into Bouncing Fish, why), they wouldn't be nearly as powerful long range as they currently are.

I'd still rather see the jump (or at least the jump's invincibility) and reappearance hitbox removed from Vanish if they were going to nerf her. Sheik getting free invincible ledgesnaps on top of being able to just hit the opponent instead makes her recovery waaaaaaay too safe; so many times when ZeRo was recovering, Dabuz had to just stand there and respect it because there was nothing he could do about it.

that all said, hypothetical nerfs are my least favorite recurring topic in this thread. can we please not go down this road again

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
All this talk about character balance and I'm over here thinking to myself," man, I wonder how the level of play will improve."

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm happy with the growing trend of challenging recoveries and off-stage play that was witnessed. VoiD tried to snipe Dabuz EVERY TIME he recovered. THERE'S NO REASON NOT TO!!! This game is BUILT on smart pressure.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Mars is crazy good.

Also it really cemented just how stupid Sheik really is, if it wasn't already obvious enough. Her and Zero Suit really are in a tier by themselves. Rosa is probably 3rd best. Cloud is frightening for a month old character. We actually do need nerfs in the next patch, because while there are a lot of good characters, a couple really do stand out and make the meta more centralized than it should be.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think that if some of the non top tiers that perfomed so well (Tink, Peach, WFT, Villager) where actually buffed the balance will finally come

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

If they're performing extremely well at the biggest Smash 4 international they don't need buffs in the slightest.

Also Villager is the opposite of a character who needs buffs

And one last time: Please do not let this thread devolve into more nerf/buff wishlists please.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Discussion prompt: Rosalina vs. Sheik is even.

Luma saying no to early throw combos, powershielding Sheik f-air + buffering punishes with Luma's extra range (Dabuz was really good with this) unthoughtful damage racking aiding Rosa in early rage KOs, Rosa having strong, lingering 2-frame ledge punishes.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Watching Dabuz actually 2 stock ZeRo by gimping him was great. Dabuz showed the Rosa play I've been wanting to see from day 1.

The next patch is rumored to be Feb 19. Fire Emblem Fates (Corrin) and Bayonetta 2 solo release (Bayonetta) are that day so it makes sense. Before that we have 2gg False saga, PAX South and TGC6 before we see what may be the final major shift in game balance.

Villager doesn't need major buffs, but I would like to see uptilt and upsmash fixed.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It still seems to me that Rosa struggles when she's at the ledge though. You can recover but it's a very uphill battle. Zero was really exploiting this in his sets with Dabuz.

Otherwise I agree with you. Rosa can beat Sheik onstage, just depends who gets control. Totally see it at even IMO. Just very volatile.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
On the other hand, what happened to Bowser and DK? With all the hype they have been carrying I hoped they would do decently good

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
And one last time: Please do not let this thread devolve into more nerf/buff wishlists please.
just saying this thread devolves into everything even after we tell them to keep the posting smart
besides theres one thing you guys forgot the very awesome thing that happened in Ranai vs ZeRo Lloid to trade with BF that made my day almost as much as the theorhetical event of Ranai winning genesis

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
It still seems to me that Rosa struggles when she's at the ledge though. You can recover but it's a very uphill battle. Zero was really exploiting this in his sets with Dabuz.

Otherwise I agree with you. Rosa can beat Sheik onstage, just depends who gets control. Totally see it at even IMO. Just very volatile.
Sheik's nair is absolutely suffocating as a ledge cover.

Ranai is a legitimate genius with his Gyroid usage, although a little ill-advised in Sheik dash range. At one point he combo broke ZeRo's fair strings by b-reversing it and catching ZeRo's jump. Mannnn

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
The way Dabuz handled the Sheik match-up makes it seems pretty even. Rosalina's advancement in terms of tech leads me to believe that she is the #3 behind Sheik and ZSS.

In some way, Ryu comes out of Genesis as a loser sadly. His theory is as sound as any but 9B's performance is soul crushing to me at-least. Trela unfortunately faced his demon in 6WX and lost. DJ Jack, another great Ryu, also made no top 8 appearance.

Literally a mixed weekend for my 2 favorite characters.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Meanwhile, what was that tournament? It was EVO or something before and I remember when ZeRo used single needles to pop people up over and over. It was, frankly, gross.

Lavani said it already, but it's not the end lag, recovery, that's a problem, it's mostly knockback. Needle Storm has an insane 180 growth for a move that does 1.9% close or 1.2% far per needle. The closest I could find was Robin's Arcthunder's last hit, 280, and Thoron's 230. That makes sense when those are multi-hit projectiles meant to kill. Oh, and Arcthunder does 1% per hit while Thoron does 2.6%. Other projectiles are usually in or below 100 growth. For example, Ryu's Hadouken? Input or not, it only has 10 growth. Shakunetsu's last hit has 60 growth which once again, makes sense when it's a multi-hit meant to push people back. It still pops you up, but not to the levels of Sheik's. Does more damage, but it doesn't cause the kind of knockback or hit stun like Sheik's. Oh, and it can't be spammed either since it has to hit or disappear before Ryu can fire another and even then, a fast Hadouken isn't as fast as Sheik's Needle Storm. How fast is Sheik's Needle Storm travel speed anyway? It's probably as fast as Fox's laser.

Needle Storm wouldn't be as stupid without its growth. Boost Kick and Helicopter Kick wouldn't be stupid with their growth. I get it, they're supposed to be multi-hits that launch people, but do you realize what happens when you can jump that high and/or can set them up? Really early deaths. It becomes stupider when you realize that there are other multi-hit Up Special finishers that aren't as powerful, but still useful: Blazer and Mario's Super Jump Punch. Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop at least has an excuse since it's more difficult to setup when his Uair is a smaller hitbox and it can fail if you don't aim properly with Shuttle Loop which only hits twice. Then on the flipside, Luma has really stupid base knockback.

On another note, did people notice how Villager could not run from Rosalina? Rosalina not only took away Villager's tools, but she also can glide in and pressure Villager just by being there. Not a lot of characters can do that to zoners and it's really scary when Villager's melee range and moves aren't as safe? - thinking that's the word I'm looking for - compared to say Link, Lucas, or Mega Man's. Then you add in how Rosalina completely outspeeds Villager and it looks terrifying. When VoiD was zoning, he was able to run and create space. When Ranai tried, he was like a hunter who ran out of ammo getting chased by a wild animal.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Also it really cemented just how stupid Sheik really is, if it wasn't already obvious enough. Her and Zero Suit really are in a tier by themselves. Rosa is probably 3rd best. Cloud is frightening for a month old character. We actually do need nerfs in the next patch, because while there are a lot of good characters, a couple really do stand out and make the meta more centralized than it should be.
Sheik and ZSS remind me of Meta Knight and Ice Climbers sometimes. Sheik is safe on everything, ZSS grabs you, you die. Of course, Sheik doesn't kill ultra early with extremely powerful and ultra fast smash attacks, not broken either, and ZSS doesn't have janky chaingrabs, her grab combos can be escaped, and she is not an unintentional broken mess. I doubt there will be nerfs to Sheik and ZSS considering 2 last patches skipped them. If there are nerfs, let them be TWEAKS, not weakening them to drop a tier, because then, the Hydra concept. Cut one head, another one will grow in it's place (:rosalina:). And it would be really nice that the garbage tier (:4dedede::4jigglypuff::4palutena::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4zelda:) and other underwhelming characters got buffs.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
On the other hand, what happened to Bowser and DK? With all the hype they have been carrying I hoped they would do decently good
All the heavies are still designed as scrub stompers right now. It doesn't matter how hard you buff their combos, they just never get a chance to return to neutral after getting hit. Watch M2K's DK vs a really good sheik or watch 9B fight a Bowser. Good characters just never let these characters play the game more than once per stock. They have no landing options and they can't get off the ledge.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
All the heavies are still designed as scrub stompers right now. It doesn't matter how hard you buff their combos, they just never get a chance to return to neutral after getting hit. Watch M2K's DK vs a really good sheik or watch 9B fight a Bowser. Good characters just never let these characters play the game more than once per stock. They have no landing options and they can't get off the ledge.
DK and Bowser are the closest analogues to grapplers in traditional fighting games. They tend to do fat damage and get massive grab rewards. Both don't quite have the neutral to win against the cream of the crop and have poor reversal/escape options. Smash is particular unfriendly to the archetype, as big body=big target.

Grapplers are pretty hard to design in general. No actually likes it when a grappler is good, to be honest.

(On a side note, the best designed grappler in any game is GGAC Potemkin. Xrd Potemkin is a sad story, however.)

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Sheik and ZSS remind me of Meta Knight and Ice Climbers sometimes. Sheik is safe on everything, ZSS grabs you, you die. Of course, Sheik doesn't kill ultra early with extremely powerful and ultra fast smash attacks, not broken either, and ZSS doesn't have janky chaingrabs, her grab combos can be escaped, and she is not an unintentional broken mess. I doubt there will be nerfs to Sheik and ZSS considering 2 last patches skipped them. If there are nerfs, let them be TWEAKS, not weakening them to drop a tier, because then, the Hydra concept. Cut one head, another one will grow in it's place (:rosalina:). And it would be really nice that the garbage tier (:4dedede::4jigglypuff::4palutena::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4zelda:) and other underwhelming characters got buffs.
Well they don't need much more than tweaks in general to bring them down to the level of the other high tiers, even if they themselves usually have some stupid tools. Zero Suit needs a couple more frames of landing lag on stuff like Nair and Sheik needs slightly slower needles and a laggier Bouncing Fish. All the characters you mentioned plus at least Ganondorf and Samus need help. There are so many otherwise decent characters that would gain from Sheik/ZSS being toned down though, so it is important to make them weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom