• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hoping to see this Falco in action then.
You'll be disappointed. Dabuz's Rosalina is like 3 skyscrapers above Xero's Rosalina level. Falln, Xaltis, and Rayquaza would also stomp Falco not FOW, but Falco, into the dust. Doesn't help that Xaltis also plays Falco from time to time, so that's even worse. If FOW decides to use Falco against Dabuz, this will be the tournament that cements the fact to FOW and everyone that Falco absolutely gets wrecked by Rosalina. Everything Fox suffers in the MU, Falco suffers and some more. Shared physics, stagnant and nerfed recovery since Melee, and butchered zoning for the lose. I just hope FOW realizes even before he goes game 1 with Dabuz or it'll be one sad set. The time FOW spent with Falco for Rosalina would have been better spent on his Ness and Villager. Hell, Lucas would be a better option.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Alright then, who's in the top 16? The top 8 Winners and 8 Losers to be precise.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Is the stream over already? I can't seem to get it to work.

Also slightly disappointed that SlayerZ went out to Earth, but oh well

David Viran

Smash Lord
Marss is playing out of his mind apparently. He's just on a tear. I think he might make it really close to Top 8, maybe he'll break it in if he can pull off some crazy upsets.

Dude is super goooood.
If he beats hyuga he will get top 8. Also if nairo beats ally as well then nairo and marss face R1 of top 8.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
If he beats hyuga he will get top 8. Also if nairo beats ally as well then nairo and marss face R1 of top 8.
That's exciting. I think he can do it, personally. He has crazy loser's momentum going on right now and the chance of it carrying over is pretty strong....but Hyuga tho....man, it's tough to call, personally.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
ZeRo vs Ranai is going to be intense. FOW vs. Dabuz is... a little less so. Maybe FOW will take a game?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Somebody needs to start a Mars Bars chant. I'm shocked Earth and Komo are both out.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I hat to be a debbie downer but we are acting less like a thread dedicated to discussing the meta and more of an overglorified twitch chat.
surely there isn't some thing interesting about the characters than x is fighting y! oh wow y totally clutched it out.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Add Larry Lurr to the list of people in top 8.

I don't think there's a single duplicate character in top 8 so far.

Also, Go Ally!

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I hat to be a debbie downer but we are acting less like a thread dedicated to discussing the meta and more of an overglorified twitch chat.
surely there isn't some thing interesting about the characters than x is fighting y! oh wow y totally clutched it out.
I mean, it's incredibly hard to provide running, effective, insightful commentary for every match (especially if certain matches are standard). Not listing match results at all is really hard to do with how many upsets there are, too.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
There are, technically, three Sheiks in top 8.

If Larry still plays Sheik, that is.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
One thing I think worth discussing at this point is how, even with all the talent, no Yoshi mains managed to break into Top 32. I think it's really a sign that, despite his excellent neutral and shield pressure games, his grab and other weaknesses hold him down, a plight characters like Fox are dealing with relatively well. Yoshi may not be the top 10-15 character he's been praised as in theorycrafting.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Curses.

Top 8 so far:

ZeRo: :4sheik: / :4diddy:

Ranai: :4villager:

FOW: :4ness:

Dabuz: :rosalina:

VoiD: :4sheik:

Larry Lurr: :4fox:

Then either:

Nairo: :4zss:

Ally: :4mario:

Hyuga: :4tlink:

Marss: :4zss:

I'd personally like Ally and Hyuga to close out the top 8, but that's just me.
Marss needs to be stopped

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I mean, it's incredibly hard to provide running, effective, insightful commentary for every match (especially if certain matches are standard). Not listing match results at all is really hard to do with how many upsets there are, too.
Is it really that hard to talk about the characters or at least say something a little more insightful like for example nairo vs ally: mario really struggles to kill when you don't fall for the up smashes. this game is far more beautiful and intricate than just listing who wins and loses

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really enjoyed watching Marss' slow, methodical take on ZSS. No wasted movements or attacks. Just good reads and smart, safe play.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing I think worth discussing at this point is how, even with all the talent, no Yoshi mains managed to break into Top 32. I think it's really a sign that, despite his excellent neutral and shield pressure games, his grab and other weaknesses hold him down, a plight characters like Fox are dealing with relatively well. Yoshi may not be the top 10-15 character he's been praised as in theorycrafting.
I've been saying this since the summer, Yoshi is pretty much Brawl ROB: a super annoying character that has gotten gradually worse as people have figured out the basic strategies.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Nairo vs. Marss

hahahaha

Nairo will probably whip out Pit, I doubt he wants to do the ditto.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Nairo vs. Marss

hahahaha

Nairo will probably whip out Pit, I doubt he wants to do the ditto.
They have fought before twice in a ditto at KTAR XV, winners and grand finals, and I remember Nairo re-purposing stuff Marss did to him and I think Marss did too, but Nairo ended up winning. Also, Nairo pulled out Robin just cause. :p

Dabuz has an analysis on their grand finals if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOCSMUSAss.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Yoshi's really just mid tier. He's pretty easy to outspace. His neutral isn't that good, since even if he beats shield he usually loses to good hitboxes.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Remember when we thought Cloud might be the answer to Shiek? Mr. R says no. Edgeguarding with grenades, of all things?!

Definitely my favorite set.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of blatantly absent characters, there's no :4luigi: either but we all know support for him pretty much flattened like a tent in a wind storm after his last set of nerfs. Still, :4peach::4tlink::4wiifit: in top 32 is nice.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So Earth's out for good? Seems like bad bracket luck getting stuck against ZeRo...

I'm not surprised that Cloud's representation is so slim in singles. He's the secondary on two players, yes, but I don't think Cloud's done much for either so far. Seems like my prediction that he was going to cool off quickly was correct.

Just a random thought though. Does ZeRo usually use Sheik or Diddy against Nairo's ZSS? 'Cause if it's Diddy then I'm wondering why Nairo hasn't ever counterpicked Pit against him and sniped Monkey Flip and Rocket Barrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom