• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
This is literally the worst smash news I've heard since Vinne chose to quit

Don't fail us now, istudying!

I wonder who pulled the trigger?

Hides the gun

:150:
Now that I have a setup for my Wii U to my monitor maybe I can be the hero Greninja mains need

probably not unless EVO comes to Dallas

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
IIRC you can manually choose whether or not a given post has your signature included.
It's worse than that: if I refresh a page, it'll randomly show or not show sigs...

On topic, regarding categorization of fighters e.g. "rushdown" "zoning" "mixup" "bait and punish" etc., are there any characters that actually fit neatly into boxes like that?
"Fit", yes. "Neatly"? Maybe in a few rare cases...

Sheik is a good example of a "rushdown" character, but she can also play extremely well as a zoner, thanks to needles.

Falcon is also a rushdown character, but he works very well as a bait and punisher as well.

I'd say characters like Bowser and DK are pure bait and punishers because they both need to capitalize on their opponent's mistakes in order to do well. You can try to play them as rushdown characters, but it won't work against any decent opponent.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
On this note, does Smashboards load signatures sporadically for anyone else?
Signatures appear once per page, per user. In other words, if this was my first post on this page, my signature would be underneath it; but since this is not my first post on this page, my signature won't be underneath it.

On topic, regarding categorization of fighters e.g. "rushdown" "zoning" "mixup" "bait and punish" etc., are there any characters that actually fit neatly into boxes like that?
Good question. I think certain characters can be identified by these categories, but at the same time, I don't think any character can be pigeonholed into just one category and nothing else. Every character has a variety of diffuse elements to them, I don't think it's as black and white as, "X is purely rushdown, Y is purely zoner, and never the twain shall meet."

I think if it was that simple, we'd have more readily-evident counters for certain characters, i.e. "X is rushdown so an anti-rushdown style will always beat them". Some characters will naturally be inclined towards one style over another, and that's where the balance of strengths and weaknesses becomes relevant, but I think the vast majority of characters can play a different game to some extent if they need to. It may not be as good an option as the thing they're designed to do, but it's something to keep them from being terminally bottlenecked into one gameplan that's easy to counter.

Does that make sense? Having a bit of difficulty putting this into words, for some reason.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Apparently Some might be dropping Greninja for Sheik

RIP Greninja's top level representation.
Better nerf Greninja :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Okay, now that that happened, the meme can die forever

And also, could a Toon Link main tell me what his top tier matchups are? Cause I want to pick up a secondary for him (That isn't Shiek or Zero Suit Samus. Or Rosalina since I find that when I use her, I play way too defensivly when I switch back to Kirby or anyone else.)

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Not really, since Smash characters come from other games where they're almost always well-rounded to deal with all of their game's hazards. If you need a character to sit at an extreme in a fighting game, you almost need to design them from the ground up to fit that game's particular mechanics. Duck Hunt Dog and Captain Falcon are characters whose entire movesets were created from whole cloth, and they not coincidentally possess extreme gameplay styles.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There's a lot more a Pit can do then just fly straight at the ledge with up B. First thing is that you can either go "high," aka straight for the ledge, or go low and climb up the wall with it. MK I don't believe can cover both options without like Mach Tornado or something, and doubt he'd want to. You can't react to what angle he uses, only react to him using it. Pit's giant ledge grab during the move helps too. (Which may or may not be the same reason he can't grab the ledge behind him during the move...)

Next big thing is, if he has any jumps, you have no way of knowing if he's going to either jump or Uspecial. Again, you can't just react accordingly. If you overextend, well this is MK so he can "keep playing the game" so to speak but it doesn't get him much to jump off early. If another character were to of jumped off, however, he could wait for them to make their way back to the stage and ledge snap for free. Underextend as any character and he's ledge snapped.

Pit actually has a ton of options to returning to the stage with Uspecial, although Earth's still kinda clowning around and being obvious with how he recovers...

Upperdash is pretty hard to challenge. If Pit's using it high, he'll armor through most things and likely hit you back, and pretty much gets back from there. Doesn't snap until the end of the move so there's some vulnerability but since he's recovering high he shouldn't be getting the two frame ledge vulnerability either. Best bet would probably be to jump over and attack from behind. Uses it low and it snaps during the armor. Not entirely sure if it's low enough for the two frame window to happen... I've seen people hit out of the tail end of the move, (momentum yadda yadda yadda) but not necessarily while grabbing the ledge. Really ought to look at that...

Basically there's enough complications to where it's impossible to catch his recovery every single time.
Earth's still the best Pit main/player, he can clown around(except at a huge tournament)
Vinne chose to quit
I've missed so much...

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I've missed so much...
I'm like 99% sure that he isn't quitting the game anymore due to the fact that he found his bags. Completely irrelevant but whatever.

Good question. I think certain characters can be identified by these categories, but at the same time, I don't think any character can be pigeonholed into just one category and nothing else. Every character has a variety of diffuse elements to them, I don't think it's as black and white as, "X is purely rushdown, Y is purely zoner, and never the twain shall meet."

I think if it was that simple, we'd have more readily-evident counters for certain characters, i.e. "X is rushdown so an anti-rushdown style will always beat them". Some characters will naturally be inclined towards one style over another, and that's where the balance of strengths and weaknesses becomes relevant, but I think the vast majority of characters can play a different game to some extent if they need to. It may not be as good an option as the thing they're designed to do, but it's something to keep them from being terminally bottlenecked into one gameplan that's easy to counter.

Does that make sense? Having a bit of difficulty putting this into words, for some reason.
Can confirm that it does make sense and I completely agree. I think it can be argued that EVERY character is a mix-up of an archetype and will never fit into one, maybe in the exception of some specific "all-round" characters. Even then, those "all-round" characters (like :4mario: and :4pit:) have other attributes that they use to their advantage.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Yoshi eggs and air mobility are good enough for camping that I don't think he's pure rushdown.

Roy and Little Mac are too vulnerable to risk waiting for attacks. They aggressively space their opponent to lay on the pressure instead.

Samus's projectiles aren't good for camping on their own, she's more of an all-rounder.
Sorry I missed this, yea I am honestly not too sure about Yoshi, I see players like TheWall utilize a rushdown strategy and it almost always works for him. Although I don't think he really counts as a high-level or optimal Yoshi. Roy can't really approach for attacking either, I think him staying very safe in neutral (just nairing/eruption everywhere) is the way to go, and then he must use his speed/throw game for punishing things he's baited.

Again with Little Mac, him maintaining the centre of stage and grounded throwing out safe pokes is what's best for him, his speed can be a detriment to himself and he is more often than not going to end up off stage if used recklessly.

Now that I've watched some more Samus, I definitely agree where you're coming from.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
That, and if he didn't have the glaringly large sourspots on moves like down smash. G&W's combo and spacing game is decent as is, but sometimes it feels like I have to work to get a kill sometimes.
This so true. Also IMO G&W's killing problems aren't as bad as some other low tiers, but they are very significant. He has smash attacks that have very low cooldown, so they are good for baiting reactions (especially at the ledge), but they do have a lot of startup frames. This is really unfortunate for G&W because his power was significantly toned down from brawl to SSB4, so he likely won't kill you before 100% (unless you get edgeguarded or die to a charged up smash after your ledge getup is read/predicted by the G&W player). Also many of his aerial killing moves do not kill reliably until after 120% in most cases (up air can kill very early, but the actual hitbox is very hard to connect because the windbox is a lot bigger than the actual hitbox). He has a d-throw to up air setup at higher percents, but the setup only works for around a 5% range and is basically useless against floaties/medium weight characters. Up smash is god-like and acts like a lagless counter move, which is awesome. You can use it to put pressure on opponent's shield, catch landings, read ledge getups, etc. I think G&W's rather noticable lack of reliable kill setups and kill moves puts him at a significant disadvantage against a lot of the cast, especially when combined with the fact that he is the third lightest character and the fifth floaties character, which makes him very vulnerable to getting killed really early.

I would love to see buffs on the kill power of his forward aerial and back aerial and maybe get rid of the windbox on up air. Also I would really like to see some hitbox adjustments made on his f-smash and down smash so that the sweetspot is bigger than the sourspot, and also in his up-tilt so that it properly connects on grounded opponents like in the 3DS days (right now the animation does not match the actual hitbox of the move, which is similar to meta kight's pre-buff hitbox and animation problems).

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This so true. Also IMO G&W's killing problems aren't as bad as some other low tiers, but they are very significant. He has smash attacks that have very low cooldown, so they are good for baiting reactions (especially at the ledge), but they do have a lot of startup frames. This is really unfortunate for G&W because his power was significantly toned down from brawl to SSB4, so he likely won't kill you before 100% (unless you get edgeguarded or die to a charged up smash after your ledge getup is read/predicted by the G&W player). Also many of his aerial killing moves do not kill reliably until after 120% in most cases (up air can kill very early, but the actual hitbox is very hard to connect because the windbox is a lot bigger than the actual hitbox). He has a d-throw to up air setup at higher percents, but the setup only works for around a 5% range and is basically useless against floaties/medium weight characters. Up smash is god-like and acts like a lagless counter move, which is awesome. You can use it to put pressure on opponent's shield, catch landings, read ledge getups, etc. I think G&W's rather noticable lack of reliable kill setups and kill moves puts him at a significant disadvantage against a lot of the cast, especially when combined with the fact that he is the third lightest character and the fifth floaties character, which makes him very vulnerable to getting killed really early.
His killing problems mainly stem from slow startup and not safety as much I've recently noticed. His Smash attacks are among the safest in the game on shield thanks to the significant disjoint and low recovery time. The sweetspots are frustrating but I can deal with them. It's his lack of flexible, quick KO options that are the greatest issue with him killing. DTilt is kind of nice, frame 6, but it only starts KOing around the ledge at 100% or later depending on rage and the opponent's weight. It's also pretty laggy. The second hit of UAir is difficult to land but quite satisfying and powerful when it does. Speaking of which..

maybe get rid of the windbox on up air.
UAir's windbox is too valuable a juggling tool to give up. What needs to happen is the first hit needs to autolink and not have knockback growth like it currently does. I also agree with buffing FAir's power (probably just damage) and making UTilt hit grounded opponents I don't think it ever did that though).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm like 99% sure that he isn't quitting the game anymore due to the fact that he found his bags. Completely irrelevant but whatever.

Can confirm that it does make sense and I completely agree. I think it can be argued that EVERY character is a mix-up of an archetype and will never fit into one, maybe in the exception of some specific "all-round" characters. Even then, those "all-round" characters (like :4mario: and :4pit:) have other attributes that they use to their advantage.
I really hope Vinnie changes his mind, unless it's an actual retirement or something

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Does any character have a move that's really ****ty in theory but in practice gets a lot of mileage?

Any moves that on paper look broken but barely ever serve a purpose?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so4n7p

ESAM'S follow up video was good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPJ_ApYooQ

and his follow up to that video: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so4pk2

hate to be the harbinger of bad news. Genesis will be his last tournament.........
I can't seem to find it now but I swear I saw a link where Vinnie was saying that he'd quit because of his bags but he would possibly keep playing if he did. https://twitter.com/Vinnie516/status/683368621796544512 In this tweet he says that his bags were found and he seems much more positive about GEN3SIS than before, where he might've not played, so anything is possible. Hopefully he does keep playing as I'm sure he is an inspiration to many Sheik mains with his top play.

Actually, I do have an interesting question in regards to Sheik. This game has been around for about a year now and Sheik's meta has been pushed pretty far after the Kiddy Dong Hoo-Hah nerf whereas other characters haven't been afforded that luxury. If there are no more balance changes, do we think Sheik will stay at the top of the tiers or will she get worse as people understand her more and more? I really don't mind Sheik and ZSS being at the top because my main, :4ryu:, goes even with them but I'm sure people who main other relatively good characters (:4dk:, :4bowser:) are annoyed at how good those two are. I feel as if both :4sheik: and :4zss: could get worse without any balance changes and bridge the gap between the lower tiers.

Or, I could be completely ****ing wrong and we go into 20XX mode :(

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
its not really bait and punish, it's just simply being a turtle.
Are we using the same definition, here?

"Turtling" in gaming terms usually refers to a player or team remaining within some kind of fortified or highly defensible structure and waiting for the enemy to attack.

Rosaluma, DH, and PacMan would be the best examples of "turtling" characters in this game. Ironically, the only ACTUAL turtle, Bowser, can't play with that playstyle because he cannot force approaches and actually needs to get in on opponents to win.

Actually, I do have an interesting question in regards to Sheik. This game has been around for about a year now and Sheik's meta has been pushed pretty far after the Kiddy Dong Hoo-Hah nerf whereas other characters haven't been afforded that luxury. If there are no more balance changes, do we think Sheik will stay at the top of the tiers or will she get worse as people understand her more and more? I really don't mind Sheik and ZSS being at the top because my main, :4ryu:, goes even with them but I'm sure people who main other relatively good characters (:4dk:, :4bowser:) are annoyed at how good those two are. I feel as if both :4sheik: and :4zss: could get worse without any balance changes and bridge the gap between the lower tiers.

Or, I could be completely ****ing wrong and we go into 20XX mode :(
I think there's SOME meta development that can and will happen with other characters in time, but I think that it won't change the way the tier list has fallen very much: some lower tiers may rise to mid and some mid will fall to low, but I don't expect high tier to change very much if at all.

We're just FAR too good at figuring out character potential very early on. Some characters will simply never do any better than they currently do without being changed via patches because their frame data is just generally crap and no amount of meta development is going to fix that.

Again, some characters ARE going to change places on the tier list, but I highly doubt there's another "melee Marth" hiding in the SSB4 roster (ie a character people slept on for years until one day Ken showed everyone just how much potential the character has).

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hmmmm?

Playing Pac-Man like a turtle will get you wrecked. There is nothing reliable that he can hide behind once you understand his design oversights.

His projectiles and traps are better for constant pressure

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so4n7p

ESAM'S follow up video was good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPJ_ApYooQ

and his follow up to that video: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so4pk2

hate to be the harbinger of bad news. Genesis will be his last tournament.........
Well....... That's just flat out terrible, after reading/watching both Vinnie's and Esam's parts. I thought the smash community was great. But wow. ZeRo was wrong. The smash community sounds terrible. And, the sad thing is, Esam is right about the Nakat - Ness thing. People on twitch would probably do that.* I bet most people don't ever look at the twitch chat. I rarely do. But sometimes I do, and I hear a lot of bad things. People constantly hate on people. Dabuz and other Rosalina mains for playing this character. Same with Shiek mains (And if Void is as nice as Esam said he was, that makes it even worse). ZeRo and MVD get hate for being fat (Which Esam never even mentioned, which makes stuff worse.), Nakat and others get hate for doing bad at some tournaments, and there's of course the Vinnie thing. The only people that appear to not get SOME hate is like, Nairo, Esam, and Abadango, maybe Ally. And, it's rediculous. You're really hurting them, it upsets them, this is the kind of thing that made bullying a criminal offense. And the fact that it needs to be that is rediculus. Why would you even bully them in the first place????? Think of how YOU would feel. I feel this kind of thing when I'm in class and somebody says something like "Oh, this is easy" or "You're stupid if you don't know" and I DON'T KNOW IT!!!!! It's upsetting! think about the people who don't know. Think about the people who suicide. Those aren't accidents. They did it because they were upset. Why would you even get someone TO that point? Even if I tried to do that, I coudn't do that anyway. Because I'm not heartless or anything. But there is one thing that is worse.

The cancer memes and jokes. HOW does no one seem to think about this. I have seen this word used as a meme thousands of times. No one responds saying they shoudn't say that. But it's a terrible thing to say. i know NO ONE who has cancer. Never met anyone with cancer. Nobody in my family has had cancer. And I still know how terrible it is. And it's not a joke. There's a good chance Nakat's mom has this. If he doesn't go on smashboards much, I woudn't blame him one bit. Nor do I blame Vinnie for quitting one bit. If I was in his shoes, I'd do the same exact thing. Upsetting him to the point if therapy???? why????????? In WHAT way does that help you!!!????

Esam was already one of my favoite players. He's definitely my favorite now, for this video. He knows. He's one of the few people that knows.

*For people who didn't watch the video, Esam said that Nakat's mom is having tons of health issues, and that people would probably make fun of it if she dies because he mains Ness, whos' mom also dies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well....... That's just flat out terrible, after reading/watching both Vinnie's and Esam's parts. I thought the smash community was great. But wow. ZeRo was wrong. The smash community sounds terrible. And, the sad thing is, Esam is right about the Nakat - Ness thing. People on twitch would probably do that.* I bet most people don't ever look at the twitch chat. I rarely do. But sometimes I do, and I hear a lot of bad things. People constantly hate on people. Dabuz and other Rosalina mains for playing this character. Same with Shiek mains (And if Void is as nice as Esam said he was, that makes it even worse). ZeRo and MVD get hate for being fat (Which Esam never even mentioned, which makes stuff worse.), Nakat and others get hate for doing bad at some tournaments, and there's of course the Vinnie thing. The only people that appear to not get SOME hate is like, Nairo, Esam, and Abadango, maybe Ally. And, it's rediculous. You're really hurting them, it upsets them, this is the kind of thing that made bullying a criminal offense. And the fact that it needs to be that is rediculus. Why would you even bully them in the first place????? Think of how YOU would feel. I feel this kind of thing when I'm in class and somebody says something like "Oh, this is easy" or "You're stupid if you don't know" and I DON'T KNOW IT!!!!! It's upsetting! think about the people who don't know. Think about the people who suicide. Those aren't accidents. They did it because they were upset. Why would you even get someone TO that point? Even if I tried to do that, I coudn't do that anyway. Because I'm not heartless or anything. But there is one thing that is worse.

The cancer memes and jokes. HOW does no one seem to think about this. I have seen this word used as a meme thousands of times. No one responds saying they shoudn't say that. But it's a terrible thing to say. i know NO ONE who has cancer. Never met anyone with cancer. Nobody in my family has had cancer. And I still know how terrible it is. And it's not a joke. There's a good chance Nakat's mom has this. If he doesn't go on smashboards much, I woudn't blame him one bit. Nor do I blame Vinnie for quitting one bit. If I was in his shoes, I'd do the same exact thing. Upsetting him to the point if therapy???? why????????? In WHAT way does that help you!!!????

Esam was already one of my favoite players. He's definitely my favorite now, for this video. He knows. He's one of the few people that knows.

*For people who didn't watch the video, Esam said that Nakat's mom is having tons of health issues, and that people would probably make fun of it if she dies because he mains *Ness, whos' mom also dies.
Lucas is the one with a dead mother, not Ness.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
His killing problems mainly stem from slow startup and not safety as much I've recently noticed. His Smash attacks are among the safest in the game on shield thanks to the significant disjoint and low recovery time. The sweetspots are frustrating but I can deal with them. It's his lack of flexible, quick KO options that are the greatest issue with him killing. DTilt is kind of nice, frame 6, but it only starts KOing around the ledge at 100% or later depending on rage and the opponent's weight. It's also pretty laggy. The second hit of UAir is difficult to land but quite satisfying and powerful when it does. Speaking of which..

UAir's windbox is too valuable a juggling tool to give up. What needs to happen is the first hit needs to autolink and not have knockback growth like it currently does. I also agree with buffing FAir's power (probably just damage) and making UTilt hit grounded opponents I don't think it ever did that though).
I don't think I was complaining about safety (I was saying it was one of his saving graces actually). Sorry to correct you, I just wasn't sure if you carefully read my post. I was rather arguing about the lack of real kill setups that G&W and also startup issues on his main kill tools (i.e. his smashes). Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

What bothers me a lot is his aerials. It is so easy for the second hit to not connect. I can imagine professional G&W players being really frustrated about this (Regi or Gimr please prove me wrong :p). I also find the severe lack of killpower on his fair and bair rather underwhelming, especially when I see red sparks on the opponent's character at the edge at 120%+ and they still don't die... Bair I can somewhat forgive because of its ability to chain into each other at low-mid percents, but still I would really appreciate if the KBG on the move was high enough to kill at reasonable percents while having low enough base knockback to combo into another bair at low percents.

On the topic of up tilt, it used to behave similarly to mario's up tilt (in the early days of 3DS) because it had much bigger hitboxes. However, I may be wrong about this because I can't seem to verify my information based on patch notes, so apologies for that. Regardless, I am still in favor of buffing G&W's up tilt so that it connects properly at low percentages on characters with smaller frames, because right now sometimes G&W's up tilt animation itself will actually touch the character hurtbox, but the hitbox for G&W's up tilt will be off by a few pixels or so, which is really frustrating and annoying.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hmmmm?

Playing Pac-Man like a turtle will get you wrecked. There is nothing reliable that he can hide behind once you understand his design oversights.

The thing is, unless you have a good Pac-Man in your area (who's also willing to help you learn) you probably don't know how to get through his stuff. In the absence of knowledge, he can certainly seem like a brick wall.

So I'd say the only people who really understand how to break his defense are the people that use him and whoever their regular opponents are.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Hmmmm?

True, but he's still one of the few characters that can set up any kind of "fortress" at all (not saying hydrant and trampoline constitute a fortress, but he still has more "fortress-like" tools than most of the cast).

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I don't think I was complaining about safety (I was saying it was one of his saving graces actually). Sorry to correct you, I just wasn't sure if you carefully read my post. I was rather arguing about the lack of real kill setups that G&W and also startup issues on his main kill tools (i.e. his smashes). Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

What bothers me a lot is his aerials. It is so easy for the second hit to not connect. I can imagine professional G&W players being really frustrated about this (Regi or Gimr please prove me wrong :p). I also find the severe lack of killpower on his fair and bair rather underwhelming, especially when I see red sparks on the opponent's character at the edge at 120%+ and they still don't die... Bair I can somewhat forgive because of its ability to chain into each other at low-mid percents, but still I would really appreciate if the KBG on the move was high enough to kill at reasonable percents while having low enough base knockback to combo into another bair at low percents.

On the topic of up tilt, it used to behave similarly to mario's up tilt (in the early days of 3DS) because it had much bigger hitboxes. However, I may be wrong about this because I can't seem to verify my information based on patch notes, so apologies for that. Regardless, I am still in favor of buffing G&W's up tilt so that it connects properly at low percentages on characters with smaller frames, because right now sometimes G&W's up tilt animation itself will actually touch the character hurtbox, but the hitbox for G&W's up tilt will be off by a few pixels or so, which is really frustrating and annoying.
I wasn't trying to correct you with the safety, it was just an observation of mine.

FAir definitely needs to be stronger, at least a little. It'd be nice for BAir but the move is so versatile that I can't complain that much. He needs less lag/autocancels on his aerials more than power buffs to them IMO, he does enough damage overall that if landing with his aerials was safer then so many more options would open up for him.

It's possible UTilt's hitboxes were adjusted but I still don't think they ever reliably hit grounded opponents. The launch angle did get mysteriously changed a few patches back, though, so it's possible that it used to hit a little further out in front of him.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
The thing is, unless you have a good Pac-Man in your area (who's also willing to help you learn) you probably don't know how to get through his stuff. In the absence of knowledge, he can certainly seem like a brick wall.

So I'd say the only people who really understand how to break his defense are the people that use him and whoever their regular opponents are.
Or you can be a complete jerk and pick the Links and just walk around. I kid, I kid, but that's a semi-decent tactic at best and shouldn't be used too seriously unless a Key pops out.

Regardless, I do know a little about my experiences with Pac players vs Link. The most important thing is to always stay close to Hydrant and keep Pac at bay. If you're in air, U-Air the Hydrant; it allows you some safety time to move out of the way or it can beat it.

But what I know for a fact is that Link loves punishing a Pac-Man whiffed grab, as well as any of Pac's recovery options. To Link, Pac-Man off stage is the happiest moment of his life, granted Pac is recovering from under or uses Power Pellet. Of all the characters, Pac-Man is the easiest for Link to edge-guard because unlike other characters who recoveries don't allow them to hit, Pac-Man's is the most linear and predictable recovery. What adds insult to injury is that it isn't that hard to get Pac-Man off stage and edge-guard him to the predictable disadvantage state.

Now granted, Pac-Man CAN also edge-guard Link, but due to having absolutely no meteors, his edge-guarding is limited to his N-Air, B-Air, F-Air and his fruits, as well as the occasional stage spiking Hydrant.

If you do fight a Pac-Man who does the Hydrant and Key combination of attacks, just...stand...there. Don't do crap, don't even move an inch, Doggo. Don't even shield, because Hylian Shield will negate the Key and it will negate the Hydrant. As soon as both connect with the shield, or at least the Key, prepare a retaliation attack against Pac since he will probably go for the rush in. If you're at a considerable distance, that's pretty much the only thing Pac can do against you (by considerable, I mean around 3/4 the stage away or more) at that range outside of a Power Pellet and Hydrant combination, but any of Link's ranged attacks beat Pac's Power Pellet.

It's funny, both of these characters might have some quip that actually makes them even. I could be saying nonsense here, but I'm going to try finding some more Pac players, because both characters may seem to be at an even.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Actually, I do have an interesting question in regards to Sheik. This game has been around for about a year now and Sheik's meta has been pushed pretty far after the Kiddy Dong Hoo-Hah nerf whereas other characters haven't been afforded that luxury. If there are no more balance changes, do we think Sheik will stay at the top of the tiers or will she get worse as people understand her more and more? I really don't mind Sheik and ZSS being at the top because my main, :4ryu:, goes even with them but I'm sure people who main other relatively good characters (:4dk:, :4bowser:) are annoyed at how good those two are.
I'm not worried about ZSS that much as greninja

Sheik can go suck a lemon tho

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Saying "Link loves it when Pac whiffs a grab" as a point in his favor is moot. Who doesn't love getting a free hit? Also, standing in place to block the key isn't as good as you think it is. Consider that you must be doing nothing to do that. Consider that while standing still to block the key, Pac can just assume stage control. The key is a great counter-poke in a lot of situations, especially against Link's slow startup self. I can certainly entertain the idea that Link beats Pac Man. He can put out more projectiles more quickly and has a better grab and better kill power, but he seems likely to succumb to strong pressure and I think Pac Man outboxes Link. Link likely dominates the mid range.

I'm just spitballing here. My point I guess is that I agree with Larry but not for the silly reasons he mentioned.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
But what I know for a fact is that Link loves punishing a Pac-Man whiffed grab, as well as any of Pac's recovery options. To Link, Pac-Man off stage is the happiest moment of his life, granted Pac is recovering from under or uses Power Pellet. Of all the characters, Pac-Man is the easiest for Link to edge-guard because unlike other characters who recoveries don't allow them to hit, Pac-Man's is the most linear and predictable recovery. What adds insult to injury is that it isn't that hard to get Pac-Man off stage and edge-guard him to the predictable disadvantage state.

Now granted, Pac-Man CAN also edge-guard Link, but due to having absolutely no meteors, his edge-guarding is limited to his N-Air, B-Air, F-Air and his fruits, as well as the occasional stage spiking Hydrant.
Wut?
Who are these pacman mains that you fight?

Between using bonus fruit to extend your jump and hydrants to stall your fall, PacMan's recovery should never be predictable. Sounds like you may be used to the low level pacmains that always guide his pellet to the ledge.

And link is a sitting duck offstage. We have no spike, that is true, but one orange spells death for you. Even better is the fact that you lack a move fast enough to break out of a fair chain offstage.

Lucky for us, link has slow enough projectiles to fall victim to pellet shielding meaning that he loses the long range game (perhaps even mid range game because of how slow those projectiles are) while we passively heal.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm not worried about ZSS that much as greninja
I wish the rest of us could feel the same way. :(

Sheik can go suck a lemon tho
That's because Greninja is to Sheik what the GoBots were to the Transformers. ;)

But seriously, how you feel about Sheik is how most players feel about ZSS (and probably also Sheik).

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Wut?
Who are these pacman mains that you fight?

Between using bonus fruit to extend your jump and hydrants to stall your fall, PacMan's recovery should never be predictable. Sounds like you may be used to the low level pacmains that always guide his pellet to the ledge.

And link is a sitting duck offstage. We have no spike, that is true, but one orange spells death for you. Even better is the fact that you lack a move fast enough to break out of a fair chain offstage.
I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I can assure that these were great Pac-Man mains that knew what they were doing; this was somewhat early on and I haven't faced THAT many. But even if Hydrant stalls your falling, what's to say Link can't F-Air you away? What's to say that Bonus Fruits can't be punished by a good read aerial or ground arc attack? There's a certain extent to where Pac benefits from those moves.

And what about a simple air dodge to break the F-Air chain? Or how about some DI upward to a good N-Air? Even if Pac may Wall Link out of the stage, Link can potentially make it back on stage if he keeps a jump and/or has good DI, a bomb, etc. In fact, the fastest attack Link has that can beat Pac-Man is an already-held bomb; sure, Link may not have it on hand, but then again, he might.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I wish the rest of us could feel the same way. :(

That's because Greninja is to Sheik what the GoBots were to the Transformers. ;)

But seriously, how you feel about Sheik is how most players feel about ZSS (and probably also Sheik).
I'm not worried about ZSS too much cuz of shadow sneak swag :shades:

you'd be suprised all the combos he can slip out of with that thing.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I can assure that these were great Pac-Man mains that knew what they were doing; this was somewhat early on and I haven't faced THAT many. But even if Hydrant stalls your falling, what's to say Link can't F-Air you away? What's to say that Bonus Fruits can't be punished by a good read aerial or ground arc attack? There's a certain extent to where Pac benefits from those moves.

And what about a simple air dodge to break the F-Air chain? Or how about some DI upward to a good N-Air? Even if Pac may Wall Link out of the stage, Link can potentially make it back on stage if he keeps a jump and/or has good DI, a bomb, etc. In fact, the fastest attack Link has that can beat Pac-Man is an already-held bomb; sure, Link may not have it on hand, but then again, he might.
Assuming you will be able to guess every option is fallacious. I haven't said that these options are invincible, just that you won't possibly be able to keep up with everything pacman can do offstage every time.

I would love to see link air dodge offstage in the middle of a fair chain. End up underneath me and you only put yourself in more danger.
I'm not going to sit here and argue hypotheticals any longer. The point here is that the sheer amount of options that pacman has offstage are far greater than link's.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What needs to happen is the first hit needs to autolink and not have knockback growth like it currently does.
It's a 2-hit, right? 2-hit moves don't need auto-link angles. 2-hits generally only need weighted knockback which Mr. G&W has, but apparently only on the windbox and not the actual hitbox which has base knockback... Why? Mr. G&W's Uair seems like it's intended to hit twice, so there isn't a reason why it shouldn't have weighted knockback on the first hit. It's basically like how Fox, Peach, and Ryu's Uair work. Mr. G&W's frame data thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/mr-frame-data-frame-data-information-ko.383626/, which actually tells us which knockback is on which unlike KH's page on Mr. G&W.

Auto-link angles only really need to be on moves that are above 3-hits - going to call +3-hit moves multi-hit if that's fine for everyone - and move you. The last part is crucial since there are moves like Cloud's Cross Slash and Peach's Down Smash that don't move you, but have hits where you're being "set up" for the last hit. In most cases, multi-hit ground moves don't need to auto-link... Moves that do move you because they actually do move you like Roy's Blazer or aerials that are affected by constant motion in the air moving both you and the attacker like Yoshi's Bair are ones that would benefit from auto-links. Infamously, Falco's Nair and Fire Bird, Samus's Up Smash and Uair, and Zelda's Up Smash and Side Smash did not or continue to not connect properly. Note that 3 of them are ground moves. Those ground moves lift you up, well, Sammy and Zelda's Up Smashes do because they're more like anti-airs, but Zelda's Side Smash doesn't, so this would be an example of issues with a grounded multi-hit rather than aerial movement affecting multi-hits. They were able to "fix" Falco's Nair and Zelda's Smashes. For Falco, they just added auto-link angles to keep people in the move since even before and in Brawl, it could fully connect, but people would fall out since they were free to move where they wanted rather than moving with Falco and in the case of Zelda's Smashes, I think they altered the knockback as she had auto-link angles for her Up Smash and "regular" angles for her Side Smash.

What's wrong with Falco's Fire Bird and Samus's Up Smash even though they have auto-link angles? In this case, they all suffer from having the wrong angles. For Falco, outside of the charging hits actively push people up and away, 70 degrees, rather than up and into, 110 degrees, like Fox's, the launch hit is a 361 angle that would send people horizontally away rather than like Wolf's 100 angle which would be up and into him. The launch hit also lacks weighted knockback and only has base knockback meaning Falco's just going to push people away regardless rather than setting them up and hitting people. Yes, it does 31% if all hits connect, but it's a frame 20 move that doesn't start moving until frame 44. Granted, if the charging never connected, it would only do 17% max. Not having the charging hits connect makes Fire Bird connect well, but only in the air. For whatever reason, if Fire Bird is used horizontally on the ground, it will not connect properly during its travel. People will get some hits and then land while Falco just moves on by like an annoying mosquito. Knowing what's the difference between the 3? auto-link angles of 365, 366, and 367 would help since maybe that's a reason? Fire Bird's travel hits are 365 angle hits unlike his Nair's 367 and Fair's 366.

It's a little strange how Fox is allowed to connect all of his charging hits into the clean hit of his Fire Fox. Total, Fox's will do 28% which is a lot, but what really matters is that the clean hit does 14%. That's why it kills even though it has low knockback which incidentally, so does Falco's last hit of Fire Bird. If they're seriously afraid about Falco's high damage Fire Bird, then just cut off the charging part which is pretty useless, reduce the travel hits' damage, and reduce the startup... Wolf's not in the game, so why not give him Fire Wolf? Oh, but Fox has- No, he doesn't. Fox has Twisting Fox which is essentially Fire Wolf if it had a charge and killed like it was Boost Kick. Yes, Wolf jumps lower, yes, Greninja and ZSS's jumps are also high, but their recoveries are much better than Falco's. With how Fire Bird functions in this game, it's basically an inferior multi-hitting version of Fire Fox and an inferior Twisting Fox. There's no redeeming qualities to this move. Falco with Fire Wolf? Oh, look, he has a recovery and Up Special that's actually different than Fox's like how Roy's Blazer is different than Marth's Dolphin Slash, Young and Toon Link's Spin Attack are different than Link's Spin Attack, how Dr. Mario, Luigi, and Mario have Super Jump Punches are different, or how Ganondorf's Dark Dive and Flame Choke are different than Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive and Raptor Boost. They're all different while functioning well and working with their game plan unlike Falco's which is more of a hindrance than anything. Oh, you learned the timing to Fox's Fire Fox? Welp, you're taking even less risks against Falco who can't go as deep with it, takes less effort if he loses his jump, and does less damage to you. Have fun and don't forget: Falco Phantasm doesn't have a hitbox for the last half of it. Meanwhile, interrupting Captain Falcon's recovery moves have different risks and timing to Ganondorf's. They're both exploitable, but in different ways versus one's just easier to gimp to the other.

For Samus's Up Smash? Incomplete auto-link angles. For whatever reason, the second loop hit does not have an auto-link angle. This probably will mess with the move, but at the same time, it might be an example of a move that doesn't need auto-links to function. Unlike Zelda's Up Smash which is just is this circle-y thing or Mewtwo and Roy's Up Smashes which are static multi-hits, Samus's Up Smash hits from front to back which means it could work with just angles between 90 and 180. So, an angle of 160 like the second hit to just drag you back into the last hit which can have whatever hit angle it wants? This might be a case where auto-link angles don't make sense since Samus isn't moving when she hits with Up Smash. Even from a run or a jump-cancel, her Up Smash wouldn't be constantly moving like aerial multi-hits. Y'know... Zelda's Up Smash might not even need auto-link angles because of the same reasons...

Oh, and for Samus's Uair, it just doesn't have auto-link angles. That's it and there's no freaking reason why it shouldn't. It and Bowser's Nair are the only multi-hit aerials I know that don't have any auto-link angles which is absurd since there's 5 loop hits for Samus. Now, if it was a 2-hit or even 3-hit aerial, then sure, it can work fine without auto-link angles like Fox's Uair, Kirby Fair, or Ganondorf's Nair, but it's not. It's basically a Falco Nair, Fox Dair, Jigglypuff Dair, or Kirby Dair. It doesn't have a large hitbox like Bowser's Nair and even then, both of them should have auto-link angles or at the very least for Bowser, weighted knockback since while it's absurd he could do 24% from a frame 8 Nair, you developers gave him a U-throw (6%) setup that can do a minimum of 17% total from a sour-spot Fair to a maximum of 30% if his Nair fully connects which I don't know if it's possible, but Bair is and it does 19%, so 25% total. So, why not make it connect properly, but lower its total damage to say 14% or something? As for Samus's Uair. Absolutely no freaking reason it should not have auto-link angles. It's like you want her attacks to fail...

Does any character have a move that's really ****ty in theory but in practice gets a lot of mileage?

Any moves that on paper look broken but barely ever serve a purpose?
Maybe all of Sheik's moves? On paper, they're pathetically weak, but because they are pathetically weak, Sheik can rack up damage with them easily. Kirby and Samus's Dairs come to mind as they're slow moves on characters who move slowly in the air, but they end up being combo starters for them. Yoshi's Fair would count as well, but it's more for spacing which works wonders when Yoshi's head is basically made of metal. Zelda's Dair (and Zelda herself) on paper is nothing to write home about, but in a game where Dairs are generally ****, hers is good when she can always spike with a clean one or a late one. Maybe Fox's Bair? Its frame data isn't good, it's average speed or slow for him, takes a while to recover, and while it does 13%, it has weaker knockback than ZSS's, but the main draw is its auto-cancel windows allowing Fox to easily bait with it or hit and immediately move after hitting. Oh, and probably Wii Fit Trainer's everything when they said she has no range.

For the flip-side, I don't know. Maybe Cloud's Finishing Touch, Little Mac's KO Punch, and Roy's Side Smash? All of them rode the hype train, but Roy's particularly notable since while it's strong(er) like Marth's, the problem is you're sacrificing so much range to use it not to mention it's 4 frames slower on startup. Marth's getting more mileage spacing his Side Smash while Roy's going to have to rely on someone failing their spacing and landing right in front of him for a frame 14 Side Smash. Also, perhaps his Flare Blade which doesn't have a hitbox on the blade unlike in Melee. While it has low recovery, it doesn't have a good hitbox like Melee's or Ganondorf's Up Smash, another high startup, but low recovery move used for baiting. Oh, and uncharged, it's doing only 5% to Ganondorf's 21% to 24% while being 2 frames slower on startup. Hey, at least it has 1 more active frame. Still, I consider these mentioned moves as being influenced by hype and them not actually being really good or really bad moves.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's a 2-hit, right? 2-hit moves don't need auto-link angles. 2-hits generally only need weighted knockback which Mr. G&W has, but apparently only on the windbox and not the actual hitbox which has base knockback... Why? Mr. G&W's Uair seems like it's intended to hit twice, so there isn't a reason why it shouldn't have weighted knockback on the first hit. It's basically like how Fox, Peach, and Ryu's Uair work. Mr. G&W's frame data thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/mr-frame-data-frame-data-information-ko.383626/, which actually tells us which knockback is on which unlike KH's page on Mr. G&W.
Apparently Ryu's and Peach's UAirs are autolink so :lick:

But I see your point, weighted knockback would probably make more sense. KuroganeHammer's site has the main hitbox and windbox knockback values sorted so figuring out that isn't a big deal. NAir could also stand to link better but they're probably the way they are because they're such high-damage aerials if all hits connect. NAir does 17%, UAir does 16%. Compare that to his smashes. Sweetspot DSmash does 15%, USmash 16%, and FSmash does 18% (all uncharged obviously). When two of your aerials do the same or more damage than two if your smashes... yeah.

Still think UAir could link better though.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Oh well Esam said Ness's mom dies so.... Mistake on his part
And I just remembered NAKAT plays Lucas as well some times, so it goes either way.....

I am still in favor of buffing G&W's up tilt so that it connects properly at low percentages on characters with smaller frames, because right now sometimes G&W's up tilt animation itself will actually touch the character hurtbox, but the hitbox for G&W's up tilt will be off by a few pixels or so, which is really frustrating and annoying.
You know what? Why not go all the way and fix EVERY damn hitbox-in relation to animation so the stupid phantom hits don't happen? Seriously, this is a gigantic problem in Smash 4. Almost every character has that one attack that constantly misses because the animation sucks. The biggest offenders are Marth and Samus, but almost every characters has this. Cloud's Nair has a horrid animation that doesn't match the hitbox at all, many of Lucas' attacks have horrid range and don't hit like the animation shows, etc.

And since you mentioned in your GnW post, another issue to adress are the ******** sourspots that do jack. Those that make you think why they even exist. Ness' D-Smash has a stupid sourpot that gets him punished for attempting to use it, GnW's smashes are all janky with their sourpots, Zelda is a broken mess of ******** sourspots, and DDD has a non-sensical sourspot in his USmash that makes his killing inconsistency bigger, not to mention it also has a broken hitbox-animation relation as well....

I know it's hard to fix EVERY hitbox problem, and one can get used to space with janky hitboxes but it is obnoxious.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
In case folks missed it or need a visual example, a slo-mo of just how powerful Bowser's upthrow collateral knockback is post-patch (even without rage, it's nuts):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom