• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing characters, hurting wavedash consistency

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I have almost mastered waveshining with fox now, just as a secondary character, and have found that now I can't WD with Ganon anymore :O ! Well, I can, but it is much less consistent. If in a tournament, this could really kill my game if I try to switch characters like this.

Has anyone else here had that problem?

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
I have had that problem but in reverse. i main ganon and i was consistent with my wavelandings and wds but i was trying to pick up fox as a 2nd. i got wd with fox and when i went back to ganon, i was failing horribly.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I dont play ganon or fox, but I think your consistency is gone because of the extremes of jump animations.

I mean, ganon's jump animation takes a split second longer than normal to wavedash off of, where as fox's is faster than normal.

I'd almost think that if you guys would have used falco it wouldnt be as bad, since falco's jump is a little slower than normal too (but not as slow as ganon's mind you).

Problem is, I dunno how Falco covers ganon's bad matchups, soooooooooo maybe fox is the right answer.

--shrug-- that's my 10 cents. D:

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
I've had the same problem. I had *almost* mastered waveshine with falco, then switched to fox. When I could waveshine consistently with him, I changed back to falco.
I felt that his wavedash was incredibly slow when compared to fox's.

What I did, I used the Y button to wavedash with the faster characters (fox, sheik) and the X button for the slower wavedashes (falco, ganon).
It kinda worked for me, as I learned to do a different timing with each button.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I found a method that works for me:

With faster characters, press R with the tip of my finger

With slower characters, press with the length of my finger

It seems to be working so far :D

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hey if it works for you use it, just look up jump lags, and you get it eventually

Training mode FTW!!!

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
I never had this problem. I started out as Roy when I was a noob and could bearly wavedash. Then I switched to Doc and could wavedash consistently with him. Then I picked up Ganon as my secondary and could easily wavedash with him after a little problem.

Now I can wavedash with everybody. Even Booser

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i had the same problem with gdorf too. i play fox and gdorf so the difference was pretty big but i just got used to it. but now i play ganondorf like fox and wavedash EVERYWHERE haha but i still seem to win so it works for me.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I mainly use it from a dash dance to help confuse my opponent, and also to platform dash into edgegaurd U-airs. I've got plenty of WD uses with ganon

Top Bottom