• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to DK's Moveset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Maybe I am missing something here, but what doesn't sound super strength like about being able to lift a heavy barrel from the ground, while being able to jump and move relatively fast with said barrel? To me, that shouts strength.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
The headbutt is fairly random, although its buff in Project M to make it more of a gimp is really nice.

Honestly I don't think he needs a barrel throw, the way he interprets that right now is actually pretty inventive. This moveset is all about the super strength and that's a good core idea for a Donkey Kong set.
I agree with this too, it'd be cool if you could opt out some moves and have a fun moveset vs a competitive one every once in a while. Everyone has good points, I just wanna be able to still kick butt as him

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
The headbutt is fairly random, although its buff in Project M to make it more of a gimp is really nice.

Honestly I don't think he needs a barrel throw, the way he interprets that right now is actually pretty inventive. This moveset is all about the super strength and that's a good core idea for a Donkey Kong set.
I agree with this too, it'd be cool if you could opt out some moves and have a fun moveset vs a competitive one every once in a while. Everyone has good points, I just wanna be able to still kick butt as him

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
The headbutt came back:facepalm:. Here I was thinking Sakurai made improvements:confused:, but all is not lost as it appears DK now has some new launch resistance:colorful:.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How dare you question the Almighty Donkey Kick of Sakurai? He has to evaluate characters in their source material and determine what moves make sense for them to use in Smash based off of his entirely-objective-and-in-no-way-flawed-whatsoever perceptions of said characters. :rolleyes:
Quoting my earlier post so as to express gratitude for the change, and to give credit where credit is now due. It took you four games, Sakurai, but I'm glad you finally gave DK his signature roll. I look forward to eventually using it in battle.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yes hopefully that roll is his dash attack now. And hopefully it'll be a good and useful move.

DK seems to to have gotten a speedboost for his attacks too, just like most characters.
From the looks of it it seems to me that (some of) his moves are faster now. Fsmash (seems to have less range though?), Dair, SideB, UpB (faster startup on the ground)...

Now I want to know if his grounded UpB can go backwards and has that nice first upper hit it had in Melee...

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Donkey Kong's roll attack is real! He may have gotten a mid air down special judging by that old pic of the day.

This direct confirms:

Side Special - Head Butt

14:56
Neutral Air - Same old thing.

14:48
Back Air - it's being blocked by Nintendog but his head and hand position suggest it's the same back kick.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Roll attack has replaced the big boot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=2109

Grounded upB has a new animation, almost zangief like, super armor is still there, and it appears to have a certain level of knockback on the initial hit (like melee)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvudMu-5kIU#t=84

Aerial upB perfect landing might have been nerfed, removed completely, or this could've just been an early build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcKzoZj-uc#t=88

SideB Headbutt comes out MUCH faster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=1581

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
dude the headbutt comes out at probably 40-50% faster. this is going to be huge move for the king this game

edit: i played the demo and the headbutt isnt coming out as fast as it is in that vid

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Is it just me or does the roll seem to cover hardly any distance?
Honestly, at least it covers more distance than the donkey boot he had, and at least it'll have better range (though that depends on hitbox placement).

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Things I want:
-Somersault dash attack.
-Down B to do something in the air (my vote is for him to clap repeatedly and send out shockwaves so it's a similar attack to it on the ground)
-Barrel throw as a new side B
-A Final Smash that I actually enjoy getting.
Coconut Shooter from DK64.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What if rapid barrel tossing WAS his final smash? That... would be fantastic.

Wooden ones that busted up on people, steel ones that rolled right through people, TNT ones that blew people away...

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Really wanted a new Final Smash for DK
and @ Aninymouse Aninymouse
They kept his Final Smash from Brawl, it was shown during a demo at E3
Yeah, I heard. People say that it's buffed up and easier to execute, which is nice. The Donkey Kong games have a notorious reputation for their excellent music (plus Donkey Konga 2, which I loved), so the bongo attack makes some sense.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
oh wow, 420 is so disappointing. nerfing DKs dair... does DK really need nerfs? cmon

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
oh wow, 420 is so disappointing. nerfing DKs dair... does DK really need nerfs? cmon
Bruh... Use colons please. 420
!? :laugh:

His dair is fine. It was a weak hit. If anything it better since it comes out faster.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bruh... Use colons please. 420
!? :laugh:

His dair is fine. It was a weak hit. If anything it better since it comes out faster.
Exactly my thoughts. On all parts :laugh:

The fact it also has a hitbox on the side is already proof of that. By the looks of the animation, it also might come out faster and has a bigger hitbox.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Exactly my thoughts. On all parts :laugh:

The fact it also has a hitbox on the side is already proof of that. By the looks of the animation, it also might come out faster and has a bigger hitbox.
It still spikes and I can personally confirm it comes out much faster. It's a buff.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i know it still spikes but the entire hitbox isnt a spike now; that wouldve spiked him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I guess it's still a meteor if you connect the move on it's old hitbox. I see no reason not to like it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He always had that many. It's just that the Side B was very unreliable.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
With DK I did figure out a few things from this build that may or may not change upon release. Short up, back air, reverse punch is in as I might have stated earlier. The roll is really interesting too! I and almost every DK player I saw avoided the move like the plague because we just had 15 years of lame kick ingrained into us. The roll has a lot of ending lag as well so people just didn't use it. But the roll doesn't just send enemies up like before, it actually pushes them forward in arch. DK won't pass through them as they bounce up like the kick did. Once you push them it makes for great spike set ups off stage! I am certain it is going to drastically change the way DK is played! I'm pretty sure I saw someone roll off the edge as well! Though it didn't connect with the enemy. Can someone who is still there test that?

The head butt is so much faster and has deceptive range as we might have seen before, very very useful.

In the tourney I lost to Larry, it was me and him with 1 stock each. I was M Osborne on the board.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I haven't touched the game, but I do know that, when characters dash off of ledges, they perform flips as they begin to fall. Based on Smash Run footage, DK's animation looks like his roll, but it's not the same thing.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I haven't touched the game, but I do know that, when characters dash off of ledges, they perform flips as they begin to fall. Based on Smash Run footage, DK's animation looks like his roll, but it's not the same thing.
You're right. I had it tested today he can't roll attack off an edge.

The knock back from the roll though is still something to potentially be excited about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom