• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to DK's Moveset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well. Do you think DK should have his moveset changed at all?

Perhaps he could get rid of his Headbutt and replace it for a blowing or rolling attack.

What do you guys think?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I've always just wanted a barrel throwing move. I know DK's intended to be a close-range fighter, but the barrels are just too iconic to the character. Not having them has always made me feel like DK's been "missing" something.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hopefully he has a more relevant Final Smash this time around. Since Diddy has rocketbarrel shenanigans, I think Rambi would be cool.

Also I noticed his Up B looks altered. Going out on a limb and guessing they might have also toyed with other specials.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Things I want:
-Somersault dash attack.
-Down B to do something in the air (my vote is for him to clap repeatedly and send out shockwaves so it's a similar attack to it on the ground)
-Barrel throw as a new side B
-A Final Smash that I actually enjoy getting.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
We may get new moves yet. We still haven't seen Nair, Dtilt, Dash A, mid air Down B, and Forward B.

I thought for sure we'd see a little more from him by now considering all the pictures and footage.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The biggest change I want to see is his dash attack.
If it was like in the DKC games it would be awesome. And he really needs that iconic roll from these games. It would feel natural and like these games and would be a much better move than his dash attack in the previous games.

His dash grab is really bad too, I hope they give him more range or something... just a little change (less laggy or more range or make him slide a little more with it?).

SideB could be changed to something too I guess... not sure though.

In a picture of him he seems to have a new attack. Maybe a dash attack. It looks like it would have some lag at the end, so I'm not sure how that'll turn out...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
He needs a roll for a dash attack. That is obvious.

For his throw maybe he could grab out at both sides. If he snags two people (one in each hand), he smashes them together multiple times (depending how fast B is tapped) before throwing them in opposite directions.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
He needs a roll for a dash attack. That is obvious.

For his throw maybe he could grab out at both sides. If he snags two people (one in each hand), he smashes them together multiple times (depending how fast B is tapped) before throwing them in opposite directions.

... awesome. When you say "for his throw" do you mean "for his side special"? He should be able to grab items as well. If he grabs a person and an item, he breaks it over their head. If he grabs two items, he smushes them together and so you can throw them as if they were one item!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was referring to his regular grab. But it could work either way. Definitely adds to the brute force image DK already has.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I definitely want to see Donkey Kong get the rolling attack. Way too iconic to be missing at this point.

That being said, I really like the way DK is looking so far. Maybe I'll main him in Smash 4 if this keeps up. Plus, dat fur.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
His Up-B attack seems to be angled differently when used on the ground now. So that's cool. But I agree with everyone else, it'd be nice to see some kind of attacks that reference his games. Like throwing barrels or using a DKC style roll attack. He could possibly throw barrels from atop the stage as a new Final Smash. But we haven't seen anything like that just yet with any veterans.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I probably hold have posted here first but if we can affect the game, then now is the time.

image.jpg

Find RomanceDawn, yeah this post and please draw up your own version. Copy this exactly if you want. But lets support each other and let Sakurai know that we want this!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Rolling Dash attack yo. (As if it hasn't been said a million times already) Project M also proved how well it can work!

In addition to a bit more general versatility, I'd like to see his FS changed to Rambi or just something remotely useful that's actually iconic DKC.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Rolling Dash attack yo. (As if it hasn't been said a million times already) Project M also proved how well it can work!

In addition to a bit more general versatility, I'd like to see his FS changed to Rambi or just something remotely useful that's actually iconic DKC.

He should throw huge barrels at everyone on the screen. It'd be nice to give him some more references from the Arcade Donkey Kong games.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
If his Final Smash is changed to where he throws barrels at everyone on screen and lets them roll off of platforms, some exploding randomly, it would attract a lot of people to the DK game. Definitely in for the Dash Attack = roll idea. You think they'll add some vertical momentum to his Spinning Kong in Smash 4? That'd be a nice change.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just want his classic Donkey Kong Country roll as his new dash attack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK getting the roll attack is one of the most suggested changes for movesets all around. I just cannot get why Sakurai would opt for such a awkward dash attack he got in the other 3 games. I mean, I'd at least use his running attack from DK64. You know, the forward flip kick supported by both of his arms.

But here's hoping that since they changed Bowser around so much, and got him a new dash attack, they give DK one as well.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
DK getting the roll attack is one of the most suggested changes for movesets all around. I just cannot get why Sakurai would opt for such a awkward dash attack he got in the other 3 games. I mean, I'd at least use his running attack from DK64. You know, the forward flip kick supported by both of his arms.

But here's hoping that since they changed Bowser around so much, and got him a new dash attack, they give DK one as well.
There is a good chance that he might do it. I haven't seen DK's dash attack since Smash Wii U/ 3DS debuted, so there is a chance.
I am hopeful that DK might get the move change, because Sakurai is starting to take into account the characters and how the play an feel like in their games:
Masahiro Sakureezy said:
For example, look at Samus," Sakurai said. "She's sort of floaty [in Super Smash Bros.]. The reason we've represented her that way is we've taken some of the inspiration from the original Metroid. I think the reason Samus felt floaty in the game is becasue you have to jump so much, you have to have a certain level of accuracy while you're jumping and shooting. By enabling her to be floaty, you're slowing down that motion allowing for better accuracy in her shooting. At least, that's how I interpret why she was floaty in the original game.
So let's hope.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Does DK looking super hi-res have anything to do with his moveset? His moves could be a lot more fluid now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Please Sakurai get rid of that awful, awkward dash attack... :(

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
They should just keep DK the same. His move set is pretty good. I mean, of course. His Dash attack could be changed to the roll he had in DKC. But that ideas already been stated. If you look in the 3DS clip when they're all in the nintendogs room it looks like they nerfed the vertical range of his upB though. Hope they didn't though. To the initial idea of taking out his headbutt. They shouldn't. It's an incredibly rewarding move if uses properly and an excellent shield breaker.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seeing as the Villager can bury people in the ground much faster than DK with his shovel, I'm hoping DK's headbut at least will get more speed on it this time.

Bedhead

Smash Rookie
Augh I wish he'd get a projectile. The Coconut Gun from DK64 would be perfect.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He needs a different dash attack. Project M shows how well the roll transitions to Smash.

Am I the only one who thinks he should get SOMETHING out of Jungle Beat? Prior to Smash 64, you really didn't have much to work with him when DKC was his only playable appearance. Jungle Beat gives him tons of option though.

But I wouldn't know what to change aside from the dash. DK's original moveset really grew on me I guess, and I've been using the ape since Melee...though I'd definitely change that side B. Give him a horizontal clap that sends a shockwave ala Jungle Beat Wii? Maybe it could act as a projectile, as well. Could certainly help against certain *cough* characters if he a good projectile...

I also hope they "buff" DK's voice lol. Jungle Beat/DKCR DK voice, please.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
For Jungle Beat, I say add a mutli-hit to his weak Attack Combo. He can unleash a flurry of fast punches during boss duels.

The Shockwave Clap can also be his Down Special used in the air.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer to forget about Jungle Beat entirely. If anything, add a sound wave to his Forward Smash when fully charged or something.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Minor changes to DK's moveset is acceptable. Major changes will make many players , including myself, irritated. Most people love Donkey Kong's moveset even though it's not the best :grin:.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He needs some better approach options outside of the B Air. It's getting extremely predictable. His roll for a dash attack would help a lot, since it'd probably be a pretty fast attack.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Speaking of...

... well, shoot, now I just want to see an Avengers-style cartoon featuring the Smash Bros.

The plumber brothers who control fire...
The swordsman from another world...

The warrior with the mind of a man, the strength of an ape, and the red tie of another man...

They are the...
SMASH BROTHERS, Earth's Mightiest Trophies

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK looks stupid in it. No elements of Donkey Kong Country whatsoever. Replaces old loveable characters and animal buddies shamelessly.

Other than that, it's an okay game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly think DK's moveset is great as it is right now. DK's been very decent in all three games, despite having very unfavorable match ups against better characters.

I do agree with the sentiment that he needs a better approach. The roll in Project M is really great for that. Hopefully there also won't be a character that would completely wall him. :dedede:
DK looks stupid in it. No elements of Donkey Kong Country whatsoever. Replaces old loveable characters and animal buddies shamelessly.

Other than that, it's an okay game.
I majorly disagree but that's a different topic entirely.

Though, I'll just say you are the first person I've seen to complain about DK's model. I thought the general consensus was that it's the best DK model lol. (Can't believe we're finally catching up to it with Tropical Freeze and this game. Took damn long.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He looks nothing like DKC Donkey Kong, neither does he act like him. Only thing I truely liked about Jungle Beat was the under water levels, beating up the evil Kongs, and beating up **** in general. DK did look like a badass in it, but I just wish it looked more like DKC instead of them creating their own things.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat depicted Dk as big, buff, hairy ape. His model was fantastic! The new animal buddies were just that, new animal buddies. They were fun, useful and in the case of Orco they were spectacular. Just because Squaks, Rambi and Diddy weren't around doesn't make the game any less awesome. I'm glad it didn't rely on nostalgia either. It seems like today all anyone ever wants from Mario is to battle completely new and unique enemies, I'm glad there has been so much variety in the Dk characters. I do love the Kremlings most of all though.

Donkey Kong Country DK was based on really really really old and outdated 90's CGI. There just isn't much place for that look any more. Back then it was awesome, now a'days not so much. It's nice to appreciate how he's evolved visually but to keep him looking like that would just be wrong.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I actually didn't like Jungle Beat's design either. He looked like a clay model wearing a carpet, and his fur looked a little too dark. That being said, I also didn't like the (original) Country design that much. I think he looks great in Returns and Tropical Freeze though. I hope he pulls something from those games. Maybe a crouching air blow move?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whatever new moves Donkey Kong picks up in this game, be prepared to see them in the next DKC title. After all, Smash is responsible for Donkey Kong's hand slap progressing from one measly pound in the original DKC to repeated pounding in Returns, as well as Diddy's popguns and rocketbarrels becoming inseparable elements of the character.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat depicted Dk as big, buff, hairy ape. His model was fantastic! The new animal buddies were just that, new animal buddies. They were fun, useful and in the case of Orco they were spectacular. Just because Squaks, Rambi and Diddy weren't around doesn't make the game any less awesome. I'm glad it didn't rely on nostalgia either. It seems like today all anyone ever wants from Mario is to battle completely new and unique enemies, I'm glad there has been so much variety in the Dk characters. I do love the Kremlings most of all though.
I completely agree. Up until Jungle Beat, I didn't even think DK was much of a fighter--for a gorilla he was unusually not aggressive; and that's even considering the DKCs, 64 and the 1st 2 SSBs.

I also really liked JB; at first I just ignored it because Rare didn't make it and I confused it with other DK Bongo games, but when I finally did get around to playing it, it turned out to be great. DK himself was much more action-oriented--practically super powered, and compared to what I saw him do in previous games it was a great surprise. I loved 2/3 DKCs, but tbh DK wasn't the reason why. Diddy and Dixie were much more appealing to me and felt more useful; he was just some big slow ape that had a slow ground pound and hurt heavier enemies. Also I had no urge to compare JB to any DKCs because they were nothing alike to begin with. One was a standalone game and the other was a trilogy. Now, if JB was named "DKC4" I wouldn't have been happy with the direction they took. But it wasn't, so I saw no need to be mad, especially since the game was good.

The one thing I truly wish would carry over from that game is that clap of his. A gorilla so strong that his hands break the sound barrier is freakin dope--Diddy's got jetpacks and guns, Dixie's got a helicopter hairstyle so what about DK? TBH I think it'd be great as an aerial DownB; it's not replacing ANYTHING WHATSOEVER, and its literally a progression of his hand slap which relies on vibrations to begin with, so what's the legitimate problem? That and the DKC roll are what I really wanna see him use in SSB4; also, having his forward smash be a sound wave clap when fully charged sounds good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom