• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Change for samus in next release

Litt

Samus
This is just from my viewpoint of what should be changed in the next update, that will make her more balanced of a character, but I do also want to hear what everyone else has to say on the topic as well.

I say for one of the forms, whether it be fire or ice, make one of them a fast faller so samus can utilize shfflcs, which will allow her to cover any of the really bad match ups so they can't juggle her as long and hard, and so she doesnt die so soon to the floaty killers. Samus's trade mark is how long she lives, and everyone lives forever now, if you have the choice to counterpick the weight mid match, it will help her live longer at higher percents, or just longer in general against the match up because of the choice.

slightly longer wavedash, im not asking for a luigi style wavedash here, just slightly longer, it feels shorter than melee and just having that extra bit of mobility will help her evade and start up combos much better.

I think my qualms with forward tilt was that it all comes out in sequence rather than at the same time the leg is extending so I think the transition back to the melee style tilt would be better for her neutral game.

Of course the tether patches need to be done, above the level of the stage vertically, past the ledge of the stage horizontally, and the fail on the 4th tether instead of aerial moves coming out. Or even if possible go to the melee tether with the hitbox out as it attached to the stage.

the ability to directly go into crawl from ledge onto stage/continue into crawl after you lay a bomb.

Hahahha well everyone loves the extendur, but in reality her zair is 2x longer than her standing grab, so just logically one needs to either be shortened or one extended (hopefully just extend the standing grapple or make it that much faster like any other characters grab) (Or even the grab box on her canon act as a normal grab that then continues on ward in grapple form)

The jankiness of the ice moveset needs fixing, and a new ice dtilt. There are VERY few situations where I would ever opt for the dtilt in fear of the opponent getting only hit by the weak hitboxes of it, and then punish me. I have been getting accustomed to the ice f and up smash, and can fully see their use, but perhaps Im just missing something about ice dtilt.

Finally with regard to samus's wall jump into b reversals to gain momentum, since this is a possible tech, I would recommend just giving her a wall cling instead of a jump so stalling does not become a problem with samus, (if not patched, im going to master it and just stall out matches on the bottom of draculas and new yoshis)

Chevy

Smash Ace
This is just from my viewpoint of what should be changed in the next update, that will make her more balanced of a character, but I do also want to hear what everyone else has to say on the topic as well.

I say for one of the forms, whether it be fire or ice, make one of them a fast faller so samus can utilize shfflcs, which will allow her to cover any of the really bad match ups so they can't juggle her as long and hard, and so she doesnt die so soon to the floaty killers. Samus's trade mark is how long she lives, and everyone lives forever now, if you have the choice to counterpick the weight mid match, it will help her live longer at higher percents, or just longer in general against the match up because of the choice.

slightly longer wavedash, im not asking for a luigi style wavedash here, just slightly longer, it feels shorter than melee and just having that extra bit of mobility will help her evade and start up combos much better.

I think my qualms with forward tilt was that it all comes out in sequence rather than at the same time the leg is extending so I think the transition back to the melee style tilt would be better for her neutral game.

Of course the tether patches need to be done, above the level of the stage vertically, past the ledge of the stage horizontally, and the fail on the 4th tether instead of aerial moves coming out. Or even if possible go to the melee tether with the hitbox out as it attached to the stage.

the ability to directly go into crawl from ledge onto stage/continue into crawl after you lay a bomb.

Hahahha well everyone loves the extendur, but in reality her zair is 2x longer than her standing grab, so just logically one needs to either be shortened or one extended (hopefully just extend the standing grapple or make it that much faster like any other characters grab) (Or even the grab box on her canon act as a normal grab that then continues on ward in grapple form)

The jankiness of the ice moveset needs fixing, and a new ice dtilt. There are VERY few situations where I would ever opt for the dtilt in fear of the opponent getting only hit by the weak hitboxes of it, and then punish me. I have been getting accustomed to the ice f and up smash, and can fully see their use, but perhaps Im just missing something about ice dtilt.

Finally with regard to samus's wall jump into b reversals to gain momentum, since this is a possible tech, I would recommend just giving her a wall cling instead of a jump so stalling does not become a problem with samus, (if not patched, im going to master it and just stall out matches on the bottom of draculas and new yoshis)
Making Samus a fast faller in one mode is incredibly jank, and would screw with missile cancelling. Learning an entirely new playstyle would be neat, but it's totally unecessary. She really doesn't need the extra survivability, it's still probably the best in the game given her weight.

I can't tell the difference but I don't play Melee much.

What do you mean by comes out in sequence? Like the leg is out before the hitbox appears? The move hits on frame 5 so I'm surprised that you can notice, and that's well below normal human reaction time anyway.

Agreed.

That would be neat, but how would they implement that? Also you can autocancel up-air form the edge and go straight to crawl. / A mod said the bump would be fixed next update.

They were unable to change the length of her grab, though one can hope the PMBR figured it out.

I would like ice D-tilt to do more shield damage or something, it's pretty much just worse than the fire version. It punishes failed sweetspots on bad recoveries, but that's it.

I think a handful of characters can do this besides Samus, and they shouldn't just throw wall clings around willy-nilly. I think the risk/reward is fine for this tech, and most characters would have a way to deal with the stall even if it was mastered. Besides, you lose height with every jump, so eventually you will just die.

My list of changes would be:

1) Melee Tethers

2) Buff ice D-tilt to do more shield damage maybe?

3) Do something with ice F-smash. I don't know if shield push-back is an individual variable, but if so I would tone it down completely, to make sure the second hit lands on shield instead of the first hit just pushing them out of danger.

4) Tone down ice F-air a little, maybe make it come out a little slower. The fact that ice mode has too near useless moves and is still amazing in many match-ups should be reason enough for this.

5) Thin the hitboxes on Samus' body during fire Up-smash, it can suck people in from the ground on the opposite side of where the cannon starts and looks a bit silly.

6) Bombs blow up on shields, which I think they have confirmed to be fixing.

7) Fix crawl bump after dropping bombs.

8) Nerf Z-air! This move is bonkers, it just irritates people and there is no good counter to it other than slowly approaching and shielding, which is super punishable. It already does almost no damage, and you can' really nerf the range if we're getting Melee tethers, so I would suggest maybe making it travel slower, like in Melee. In between Brawl and Melee speed would be perfect.

9) What Narpas said, fix the Charge Shot fall through stage when landing the aerial version thing.

Last edited:

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
Ive personally wanted a way to switch between the different "beams" faster. Yes, I know you can ledge cancel the taunt, but i was thinking more along the lines of switching between the "beams" for combos (just a faster change/switching by pressing taunt of certain moves connecting maybe?). Regardless, even with the ledge cancel it still takes enough time to limit you being able to edgeguard with the other mode (in some cases).
Also, I dislike having to start out with the fire moves when id rather use the ice, but its not a big problem.
I too think the Ice Dtilt (has a few uses) and Fsmash (just worse version of fire fsmash but with a pop up that isnt reliable to use) are pretty bad. I was told that the some of the ice moves were purposefully made bad in order to balance the two modes, but i think that those moves could get buffed a bit and the modes would still be balanced.

Narpas_sword

id like to have mode switch at start, the no knockback hitbox of dtilt removed. and the wierd 'samus falls into the stage if you fire a charge shot while in the air just above ground" fixed.

also, a sweet blue trail like fox illusion when you use dash attack so it looks like shinespark =p

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Shinespark trail would be a fun aesthetic addition.

I've never really cared for the Ice Mode, myself. Even recognizing its utilities as seen thus far, I think it's mostly just centralized around fair--a move with qualities that would be much better served by excising Ice mode, and giving her 64 bair, which can then be used for walling if absolutely necessary.

Fixed bombs, natch.

I agree with Chevy on zair, too. Making it come out a tad slower, and heck, I'd be okay with a bit more landing lag. Zoning tools are really all about making educated guesses about your opponent's options for getting into their sweetspot, and controlling them. They shouldn't be about locking your opponent down and forcing them to make bad decisions at no risk to yourself.

Narpas_sword

fixed bombs, like metroid? would make recovering with a bomb jump impossible, and would give an infinite stall =/

i like ice for upsmash and the homing missiles more than the fair. fair is a nicety though.
for use against floaties that can DI away from downthrow that they get away from nair, fair still can catch them.

oh and more aesthetics
blue 'fire' for phazon suit
dark and light for dark/light suits

(of course, adding the costumes too) =p

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Just to go back to an earlier point about a faster falling form. That would be the point of it, so it would allow samus more mobility and versatility against other match ups where she may be very weak against BECAUSE of her floatiness. Giving players the option also to play her as a zoning character or mix it up and rush down the opponent with a faster falling ice fair wall of pain, with perhaps short hop fast falling missiles being possible in one of the modes? Where the faster falling mode can be a lot more technical if the player desires.

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
fixed bombs, like metroid? would make recovering with a bomb jump impossible, and would give an infinite stall =/
I mean make them explode on shield.

i like ice for upsmash and the homing missiles more than the fair. fair is a nicety though.
for use against floaties that can DI away from downthrow that they get away from nair, fair still can catch them.
Ice usmash is alright for what it does, but it feels like a move for lazy people who don't want to read approaches. Utilt covers the same space in the opposite direction with more safety on block, in exchange for a little more start-up, but with better combo ability. Plasma usmash combined with fsmash mixes up two halves of ice usmash's coverage, but with a little more speed. You just have to guess whether your opponent is going to short hop or full-jump.

I don't feel like the differences in the missiles are drastic enough to really change their utility to the gameplan. Neither mode has overall better missiles.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace

Ice usmash is alright for what it does, but it feels like a move for lazy people who don't want to read approaches. Utilt covers the same space in the opposite direction with more safety on block, in exchange for a little more start-up, but with better combo ability. Plasma usmash combined with fsmash mixes up two halves of ice usmash's coverage, but with a little more speed. You just have to guess whether your opponent is going to short hop or full-jump.

I don't feel like the differences in the missiles are drastic enough to really change their utility to the gameplan. Neither mode has overall better missiles.
I feel like you just said a bunch of things about ice up-smash that are true but not really relevant. It's a finisher, with defensive properties. You can get it out of throws, and use it as anti-air since it threatens such a large area above her. Sometimes I switch to ice just to have a good kill move on floaties that covers a large area, I guess you can call it laziness but I prefer safe and thorough. Agreed about the missiles, it's neat that they are different, but not a reason to switch.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

depends on characters. i play a zelda a lot, and having ice homing missiles offstage can really ruin her recovery enough that i can predict where she can teleport too.

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360

As much as I really, really like the idea of Samus becoming a fastfaller or something else with the ice mode, I just don't see it happening. That would be pushing too far in the 'entire new character' direction. That being said, I think the ice mode definitely needs changes, like you said. The ice fair is great, but I'd rather a small nerf to the ice fair and buffs to both ice f smash and d tilt. I get that it's supposed to be a sacrifice and all, but I always hate it when I can't use my character's entire moveset. I'd like to see less knockback on ice fair, but maybe make it slightly faster. Still enough knockback to kill, of course. And with this an increased use of the ice f smash. I'd really like it if it popped the opponent up right in front of Samus with quite a bit of stun, like a down throw, and could thus be a combo started into ice fair or whatever. Honestly this same property could be applied to ice d tilt. If not that then something else that has a slight buff, idk what. Just make it so that the two moves have some defined purpose.

Definitely longer wavedash. Agree with all you said.

I personally like the current tether better than Melee's, but that may be just because I don't play her in Melee. In Melee, you only get the one tether until you touch the ground again, right? I like the 3 tethers much more than just one, for a safety net if nothing else.

I love the B reverse wall jumps, always hilarious on the training room stage. A wall cling would just feel wrong, though. It'd be simpler to limit the number of wall jumps to something reasonable, like 5 or 6. But by no means should they get rid of the tech, it's just too fun.

Some aesthetic changes that would be really cool could be a simple colored streak after A LOT of Samus's moves, especially under ice mode. Like the up smash, but on more moves. U & f tilt could have a light blue streak, even if they remain unchanged under ice mode. Dash attack could be light red/orange streak under fire, light blue under ice. Also it'd be cool if the bombs were orange under fire and blue under ice. They could also change the bombs entirely under ice mode, but it's not really necessary. Also they should definitely release more colors for Samus, and a special one, like another suit or something.

I don't think zair needs a nerf, at all. It's not broken by any means. Just learn how to get around it, stay closer to Samus, problem solved. Yeah it's good and all, but doesn't every character need at least a few great moves they can spam?

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Hear my ridiculous changes for 20XX Samus:

Having two (OR MORE) Screw Attack jumps and being able to angle them horizontally. Like the Metroid games, duh.
OR
UpB being a Shinespark, multi-directional and a long reach, like Fox/Falco's.
OR
Dash Attack has a longer reach with a "shinespark-esque" animation. AND you know how in Brawl, Ganondorf has this super jump with some weird simultaneous DownB and jump execution? Give it to Samus and add a vertical dash hit box on the jump. LOL

ALSO
Give Samus a DACUS.

ALSO
Ice Neutral B should have an ICE hitbox and freeze them in an ice block that spikes them down like Game&Watch's judge #8.
OR
Do it to the Ice missiles, with the smash one's spiking but not as hard, and the homing does the pop up like an Ice Climber's ice block hitbox.

ALSO
Give SWD a hitbox OR invincibility frames.

Foreal tho:
Zair isn't broken. DFW's top players knows how to get around it and punish me for it.
Keep Zair as it is.

Narpas_sword

Tbh floaty zoner who can swap to a faster falling rush down character sounds too much like zelda / sheik. Who the community seems divided on whether they should still have the ability to swap due to it giving her a rather big advantage that messes with counter picks.

Also dacus.
To 'give samus a dacus' you need to change her squat jump start up to 5 frames. Not sure if you really want that...

Then to make it a more slidey one, you up the acceleration of the dash.

Last edited:

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
I feel like Samus being able to switch between floaty and fast-faller would be too unbalanced. Sheilda at least has two different movesets to differentiate, but I think Samus' ice and fire modes are too similar. It would require completely re-working one of her modes to serve a fast-falling play style while still being balanced. In addition, having that option gives Samus way too much leverage against other characters, even moreso than Sheilda.

Chevy

Smash Ace
The ice fair is great, but I'd rather a small nerf to the ice fair and buffs to both ice f smash and d tilt. I get that it's supposed to be a sacrifice and all, but I always hate it when I can't use my character's entire moveset. I'd like to see less knockback on ice fair, but maybe make it slightly faster. Still enough knockback to kill, of course. And with this an increased use of the ice f smash. I'd really like it if it popped the opponent up right in front of Samus with quite a bit of stun, like a down throw, and could thus be a combo started into ice fair or whatever. Honestly this same property could be applied to ice d tilt. If not that then something else that has a slight buff, idk what. Just make it so that the two moves have some defined purpose.
I'm not sure making exchanging knockback for speed would be even be much of a nerf on ice F-air. The reason the move is so ridiculous is because it's so fast and covers such a wide area. It combos into itself on floaty characters and that would only extend those "combos" further. Ice F-air should be just a little be slower, and other than that, unchanged.

I personally like the current tether better than Melee's, but that may be just because I don't play her in Melee. In Melee, you only get the one tether until you touch the ground again, right? I like the 3 tethers much more than just one, for a safety net if nothing else.
You get one tether, but it can latch onto any vertical surface and has a hitbox. Her Z-air didn't just magically decide to behave like an entirely different move just because you were 30 ft. from the ledge. It was consistent, beautiful, and opened up a bunch more options while recovering. Go read up on some of the fun tether tech in Melee and tell me you don't want it back. More than anything, it actually required some skill to use properly, which makes the game more fun in my opinion.

I don't think zair needs a nerf, at all. It's not broken by any means. Just learn how to get around it, stay closer to Samus, problem solved. Yeah it's good and all, but doesn't every character need at least a few great moves they can spam?
This might sound stupid, but by my experience, you really don't want to be close to Samus until you have a guaranteed hit, on account of her insane close quarters game. I think part of the problem with Z-air is that it covers the zone that Samus couldn't really control super well before, in between long and close range. Where you get punished for firing a Missile, but can't F-tilt the opponent. Now you can just Z-air all day until they screw up or you do. I like the move's function, but I think it needs to be just a little bit slower to advocate intelligent use of it, rather than safe spam. And no, every character doesn't need spammable moves, and Samus has plenty of great moves she can spam already.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
There are things you can do with tether now, though, that you can't do in Melee. Down canceling the tether allows for a lot of mix-up that wasn't available in Melee, for instance.

All in all, I think a hybrid would be quite nice. Something that takes the strengths of both.

Litt

Samus

Sorry to be a **** again guys, but pretty much everything ph00t said is not true at all, and I dont think you should be phrasing things in such definitive terms, especially when you are wrong. Ice up smash is the only off the top kill move that is viable and covers a ton of area, including platforms. If anything, I would say Ice Upsamsh is samus's best move currently, even over her zair. Up tilt again has horizontal knock back, and most characters in this game now can recover from almost anywhere with good DI, so you dont want to just keep setting up ledge guards especailly in percents when you can get a kill with a move that covers more area that most people dont expect from samus. Again, plasma upsmash does not kill as soon and has NO where near the range, as for fire fsmash, it doesnt cover any aerial option, including whiffed jumping nairs over samus to catch a jump OoS or whereever, where ice upsmash covers all 3. Obviously you have never learned to spam, or that ice missiles go almost 1.5x faster than normal fire missiles, or that ice homing missiles beat sex kicks... :/

Last edited:

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360
I'm not sure making exchanging knockback for speed would be even be much of a nerf on ice F-air. The reason the move is so ridiculous is because it's so fast and covers such a wide area. It combos into itself on floaty characters and that would only extend those "combos" further. Ice F-air should be just a little be slower, and other than that, unchanged.

You get one tether, but it can latch onto any vertical surface and has a hitbox. Her Z-air didn't just magically decide to behave like an entirely different move just because you were 30 ft. from the ledge. It was consistent, beautiful, and opened up a bunch more options while recovering. Go read up on some of the fun tether tech in Melee and tell me you don't want it back. More than anything, it actually required some skill to use properly, which makes the game more fun in my opinion.

This might sound stupid, but by my experience, you really don't want to be close to Samus until you have a guaranteed hit, on account of her insane close quarters game. I think part of the problem with Z-air is that it covers the zone that Samus couldn't really control super well before, in between long and close range. Where you get punished for firing a Missile, but can't F-tilt the opponent. Now you can just Z-air all day until they screw up or you do. I like the move's function, but I think it needs to be just a little bit slower to advocate intelligent use of it, rather than safe spam. And no, every character doesn't need spammable moves, and Samus has plenty of great moves she can spam already.

Ice fair slower instead of weaker and faster would be alright. But you agree that dtilt and fsmash should be buffed, yes? The Melee tether, well I suppose I'm mostly against it because it would mean having to learn it, being more careful (like I said no safety net, except up B) when recovering, and also it seems like it'd make recovering just... slower. I like to get back into the game, rather than recovering for 10-15 seconds.

Also that last part about the spam was a bit of a troll, lol. Samus already has missiles, one of the most spammable moves in the game, so... :p

Chevy

Smash Ace
Ice fair slower instead of weaker and faster would be alright. But you agree that dtilt and fsmash should be buffed, yes? The Melee tether, well I suppose I'm mostly against it because it would mean having to learn it, being more careful (like I said no safety net, except up B) when recovering, and also it seems like it'd make recovering just... slower. I like to get back into the game, rather than recovering for 10-15 seconds.

Also that last part about the spam was a bit of a troll, lol. Samus already has missiles, one of the most spammable moves in the game, so... :p
Ice F-smash and D-tilt are definitely too weak, I posted my suggested changes to them above. It's true that the Melee tether would take slightly longer, but you are at least still playing rather than auto-latching, and maybe drop-up-Bing. I can understand the hesitation, but I went to Melee and learned the tether in like a day, so I'm sure anyone can. It's just so much more fun to use.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Sorry to be a **** again guys, but pretty much everything ph00t said is not true at all, and I dont think you should be phrasing things in such definitive terms, especially when you are wrong. Ice up smash is the only off the top kill move that is viable and covers a ton of area, including platforms. If anything, I would say Ice Upsamsh is samus's best move currently, even over her zair. Up tilt again has horizontal knock back, and most characters in this game now can recover from almost anywhere with good DI, so you dont want to just keep setting up ledge guards especailly in percents when you can get a kill with a move that covers more area that most people dont expect from samus. Again, plasma upsmash does not kill as soon and has NO where near the range, as for fire fsmash, it doesnt cover any aerial option, including whiffed jumping nairs over samus to catch a jump OoS or whereever, where ice upsmash covers all 3. Obviously you have never learned to spam, or that ice missiles go almost 1.5x faster than normal fire missiles, or that ice homing missiles beat sex kicks... :/
Of course Ice Usmash is her best move. Of course it covers everything her other moves do. That's really my problem. It does so much, and takes away from everything else the character has. That's why I said it's for lazy people. It does everything for you without you needing to read. (Of course, if you'd read, you'd not be trying to start another argument with me.)

As far as missiles, I'd first of all say that faster is not always better, and I think it makes perfect sense to just make the fire homing more like ice homing. Maybe I'm just crazy.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's not to say Samus couldn't do with an upwards KO move, but as far as using the move for zone control, **** yeah, it's lazy.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm not talking about your gameplay decisions, I'm talking about how design decisions affect your gameplay decisions. When you create a move that covers the same options as three other moves combined, you encourage the player to think less about what angle their opponent is going to attack at. Unless your goal is to create a character that really only needs two or three moves, then that's just really bad design.

I like to think of Samus as a character that needs to read attack angles to be successful, so giving her such ham-fisted options just makes me roll my eyes.

Litt

Samus
I think you are way to mid to low level of a player to make such a claim at all ph00t, this time, just walk away and dont respond

Narpas_sword

its also got ****all range in front, jab has longer reach horizontally at standing height.

the comparison to uptilt is pretty far off. "Utilt covers the same space in the opposite direction" is not true at all.

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
I mean u-tilt covers a similar space but has a completely different application so they can't really be compared.

Ice u-smash is not lazy at all. If you're predictable, then it'll get punished really easily. And if you're referring to d-throw into ice u-smash, then the people you're playing against have bad or no DI.

Narpas_sword

I had jiggs rest sound for a while.

SHIIIIING!

Now it's metroid prime noises for Txt email and calls
Main menu music
The secret found chime
"recorded to log book "
And" data received "

Also the majoras mask dawn of a new day clock sound for Facebook notification =p

Last edited:
Top Bottom