• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challengers Revealed in Stream (SPOILERS!)

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Gema just fought R.O.B. and got the message for unlocking everyone, so that's indeed it for the roster guys.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Seems the Warning siren from Brawl is back for the 3DS version of the Challenger Approaching screen at least, making this the 1st game in the series to reuse the same warning siren from a previous entry (64 and Melee's all had unique warning sirens (64 really didn't have a warning siren when you 1st fight an unlockable character).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm sad that's it. But I'm honestly thinking that there will be DLC.

I don't think Ice Climbers and Lucas are gone forever like Ivysaur. :(

Did we get trophies for them?

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
:-(

But... but... Lucas?

Never played Mother 3, was pissed when Lucas was announced for Brawl because I thought he'd replace Ness, and after Brawls release, he quickly became my favorite character, and ONLY character I'd play as online.

That's the tough thing about Smash Bros rosters, is that you simply can't please everybody. There is much more about this game that excites me than there are things that disappoint me, so I'm sure I will recover from the loss of my Lucas. :-)

...unless dlc....?!

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
That's not the final roster. Sakurai confirmed Alph as a separate character from Olimar in the PotD. Alph isn't listed on the character select screen shot.
Alph is an alt costume, not a seperate character. He doesn't have a page or slot on the website

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Well can't please everyone sad that's the final roster but all good dlc might be a thing and I'm ok with that. Can't wait to get the hands on the game myself!!

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
image.jpg

I am Doctor Mario and I am saving lives
I look different in this game,
(I lost the hat, got a coat, doctor's light, stethoscope)
I am Doctor Mario and I prescribe high fives
Laughter's the best medicine so BAH-HAH-HAH you fell down.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
It's not that the rest of the roster is weak or anything (I'll still welcome back Dr. Mario with gratitude), but when it feels like they were going all out for this roster, to have characters as unique as Mewtwo and Ice Climbers get the axe is kind of disheartening. Lucas and Wolf seem like odd cuts as well, since this game seems less strict on allowing clones their own roster spots.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
They had DLC for MARIO GOLF less than a month after it came out..

Everyone relax.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Sakurai said that they are not planning DLC but will take it into consideration after the game is released. Let's hope they the bugs out on the Ice Climbers and add in the cut veterans once the Wii U version is released.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
People complaining about Mewtwo not returning seem to forget that he wasn't in Brawl either. I know Dr. Mario is back, and Dark Pit is almost certainly Sakurai's ego incarnate, but Mewtwo lost its relevancy very sharply after Melee and even the new Pokémon games and movies have failed to hype him enough for a spot, I think.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Maybe not, but he had nearly finished files, he was most likely planned, same as the other characters with lingering unfinished files.
I guess we will find out when the hackers get a hold of the game if there were more characters planned.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Alph is a skin, jus the name changes when you choose him. How did so many people not get that?
That's not the final roster. Sakurai confirmed Alph as a separate character from Olimar in the PotD. Alph isn't listed on the character select screen shot.

Edit:

Whoops. Never mind. Delved further and he's an alt costume. Sakurai trolling hard by leaving his wording vague on the PotD. Lead me to believe Alph was a separate character.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Maybe not, but he had nearly finished files, he was most likely planned, same as the other characters with lingering unfinished files.
That's interesting. I do have a lingering thought in the back of my head that Sakurai could pull a complete wombo combo on us and throw Ice Climbers, Lucas, Mewtwo/whoever else into the game as DLC/A Free Update when the Wii U version releases, and although it's unlikely it's a nice possibility given Sakurai's unpredictability.

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
The inclusion of the duck hunt dog has got to be, without a doubt, the most amazing character inclusion in a long, LONG time.

What the duck?
DUCK HUNT DOG has joined the battle!

Zoa

Smash Ace
Alph is a skin, jus the name changes when you choose him. How did so many people not get that?
"He has pretty much the same set skills as Olimar since he's basically just his variation. He can't use Rock Pikmin either."

"They are different characters, so they each get their own title treatment on the character-selection screen. See? It says Alph."

It's these two quotes from the PotD that lead me to believe Alph is clone with different attributes similar to Lucina. He flat out says they get different treatment on the character select screen, so couple that with the first quote and it can lead one to believe Alph was just another clone getting his own slot on the roster. Sakurai being vague in his wording.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
Now
Well...

The message on the second pic says "You've completed All Star mode! You've unlocked/defeated all fighters!"

I'm afraid to say that this is the complete roster after all. Sorry guys.

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad the lack of Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf. While I wanted Mewtwo back I would have preferred we keep those three as well. Uh, well... reality hits you hard I guess.
Regardless, there is still hope in DLC. They can pull a Mario Kart 8 and maybe provide us with a few of the missing characters.

With that said, while the cuts sadden me and I'm satisfied with the newcomers. I pretty much like everyone that was added this time around. I would say that this roster is better than Brawl's minus those three, they will be missed.

Remember, DLC might still be a thing. We had loses but I also feel we gained a lot more as well.[/quot
Well...

The message on the second pic says "You've completed All Star mode! You've unlocked/defeated all fighters!"

I'm afraid to say that this is the complete roster after all. Sorry guys.

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad the lack of Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf. While I wanted Mewtwo back I would have preferred we keep those three as well. Uh, well... reality hits you hard I guess.
Regardless, there is still hope in DLC. They can pull a Mario Kart 8 and maybe provide us with a few of the missing characters.

With that said, while the cuts sadden me and I'm satisfied with the newcomers. I pretty much like everyone that was added this time around. I would say that this roster is better than Brawl's minus those three, they will be missed.

Remember, DLC might still be a thing. We had loses but I also feel we gained a lot more as well.

Well now to instill some hope
this is a huge grab but what if sakurai new about how japanese would leak everything. So he kept a couple of charectors out until american release. Maybe we will get a trailer during treehouse stream
(again this is probably just me wanting more characters)

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Yes, I can feel the butthurt already. Let it consume you!

Aside from that, the roster looks pretty nice. I can deal with that.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I am actually happy that Lucas is gone. He was so damn annoying in Brawl.

All my favorites are there, that's all that matters to me. I know the newcomer look pretty fun to play as well. I hope Zelda got buffed. All she had going for her in Brawl was... Um... Huh. Down B?

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I'm not complaiming because I got my bae Lucina and that's all I wanted. I also got Robin and Shulk got me interested in Xenoblade.

I feel quite sorry for those who wanted K. Rool and Ridley tho.

But freaking Dr. Mario instead of Mewtwo? C'mon!

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Rob needs to be added to the OP.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It's missing some characters that I feel should represent Nintendo, but I'm completely content with this roster. To me, there seems to be only a few characters that I don't want to play as, and I'm sure they'll prove me wrong over time. A Smash game is a Smash game is a Smash game. There's no way I'll be disappointed with it, especially with this many characters this time around.

The stages look pretty redundant, though.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Well. That's that. I'm almost sad to see the full roster unveiled. I loved the hype I had built up. Now, the hype can be rested. I'm loving this roster to death. It's not the most satisfying, but it's still very satisfying. 'Cept for, of course, Mewtwo being absent. I really think Sakurai was high on something when he put in Dr. Mario over Mewtwo. I love Mewtwo. But, now I need to decide whether to main Greninja or Dr. Mario. I realize that he got in over Mewtwo, but I'll consider him anyways because the Doc was always one of my secondaries in PM and SSBM. His pills are cool, the impact sound is awesome, I love his games, and the character design is nice. Overall a really pleasing character. Plus, he's got a legit Mario Tornado, which was a cool move that didn't need to be replaced.
But, Doc's a nice throwback, so whatever. ROB's back, so that's great, and Mr. G&W is cool. Duck Hunt Dog is cool, but a shame to see ICs, Lucas and Wolf go. Here's to DLC for them. Finally, RIP Wonder-Red, may the DLC be with you.

Top Bottom