• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challengers Revealed in Stream (SPOILERS!)

joomragre

Smash Cadet
At this point I'd be happy if ice climbers were individual characters with color swaps and that would get rid of the overload problem on the 3ds version plus it would make for a slightly different way to play the character...maybe next time around

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I swear, the DLC better be free. If you think about it, if we had DLC, it would be much harder for tournament setups, because people would have to buy those characters for both Wii U and 3DS in order to have them.

I guess the 3DS would be a lot easier to handle, the Wii U on the other hand...

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
People complaining about Mewtwo not returning seem to forget that he wasn't in Brawl either. I know Dr. Mario is back, and Dark Pit is almost certainly Sakurai's ego incarnate, but Mewtwo lost its relevancy very sharply after Melee and even the new Pokémon games and movies have failed to hype him enough for a spot, I think.
Characters in Smash Bros with no relevance: Sheik, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Fox, Falco, Little Mac, Jigglypuff, R.O.B., Ness, Captain Falcon, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt Dog. Relevance has almost nothing to do with a Character's appearance in this game.
"He has pretty much the same set skills as Olimar since he's basically just his variation. He can't use Rock Pikmin either."

"They are different characters, so they each get their own title treatment on the character-selection screen. See? It says Alph."

It's these two quotes from the PotD that lead me to believe Alph is clone with different attributes similar to Lucina. He flat out says they get different treatment on the character select screen, so couple that with the first quote and it can lead one to believe Alph was just another clone getting his own slot on the roster. Sakurai being vague in his wording.
Sorry dude, but you're wrong.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Characters in Smash Bros with no relevance: Sheik, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Fox, Falco, Little Mac, Jigglypuff, R.O.B., Ness, Captain Falcon, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt Dog. Relevance has almost nothing to do with a Character's appearance in this game.

Sorry dude, but you're wrong.
How am I wrong? Can you clarify what you mean and provide supporting examples?

Farorae

Smash Ace
Well. That's that. I'm almost sad to see the full roster unveiled. I loved the hype I had built up. Now, the hype can be rested. I'm loving this roster to death. It's not the most satisfying, but it's still very satisfying. 'Cept for, of course, Mewtwo being absent. I really think Sakurai was high on something when he put in Dr. Mario over Mewtwo. I love Mewtwo. But, now I need to decide whether to main Greninja or Dr. Mario. I realize that he got in over Mewtwo, but I'll consider him anyways because the Doc was always one of my secondaries in PM and SSBM. His pills are cool, the impact sound is awesome, I love his games, and the character design is nice. Overall a really pleasing character. Plus, he's got a legit Mario Tornado, which was a cool move that didn't need to be replaced.
But, Doc's a nice throwback, so whatever. ROB's back, so that's great, and Mr. G&W is cool. Duck Hunt Dog is cool, but a shame to see ICs, Lucas and Wolf go. Here's to DLC for them. Finally, RIP Wonder-Red, may the DLC be with you.
I don't get this whole "got in over x" I really don't think that's the case, I really doubt that there was a choice between Doc and Mewtwo. I don't think Mewtwo would've gotten in regardless of Dr. Mario's inclusion.

XtreamDarkRyu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-8318-2992
This may be all the characters in the 3DS version but I have a feeling they r gonna fill the remaining spaces for the wii u version and at wii u release the extra characters will be given as free dlc to the 3DS.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
This may be all the characters in the 3DS version but I have a feeling they r gonna fill the remaining spaces for the wii u version and at wii u release the extra characters will be given as free dlc to the 3DS.
They said a long time back that the rosters would be the same in both versions, and in the past, Nintendo has NOT delivered on DLC consistently, so I would not get my hopes up. Just sayin.

Dustiletto

Smash Cadet
NNID
greasyitalian
3DS FC
3411-1534-9274
Okay, getting over my blind-eyed hype for Doc, I might as well go over in more fleshed-out detail how I feel about the roster and how the game is shaping up in general.
To be blunt I'm.. decently satisfied! By no means am I absolutely astounded by what the roster has done, it's good and bad in its areas, but by all means overall I enjoy it. Many good Newcomers have shown up that I enjoy- in fact, I enjoy all of them to an extent! Little Mac, Villager, Mega Man, Pac, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, Greninja, and Shulk are especially amazing! And the rest of the newcomers sans the clones are pretty great as well! Even though I am not particularly interested in them as much.
As for the clones, well, while I was a bit bitter while they were first shown, I've lightened up. While I have been fawning over Doc returning, I will admit his inclusion along with Dark Pit and Lucina is a little.. silly, and by a good means un-needed. But it by all means adds new variation for old Mario, Marth, and Pit users, so it's not MUCH of a bad thing in the end. Doc returns from Melee purgatory!
The only thing that has me kinda polarized and feeling disappoint with the roster is the cuts. While I expected Snake to be gone for a long time, not seeing him is a bummer. But Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, and to an extent Ivysaur and Squirtle, who were all unique additions to the roster. Lucas wouldn't have been hard to include, would he? And the RAM problems with the Ice Climbers would've been simple to fix by just making it Ice ClimbER. Make it a solo Popo/Nana that you can switch via color swap, buff their moves so they're usable solo, and bingo, fixed! And Wolf makes me even sadder because it's another villain gone. (And anybody who dare say Lucas and Wolf are "boring clones" really need to do research.)
Really the kicker here is while those series like Star Fox or MOTHER get less characters, or Ice Climber getting erased outright, Kid Icarus triples in characters, Fire Emblem doubles, and Mario grows haplessly. It's kind of a sad sight, but still in the end it's kind of a minor complaint, albeit a disappointing one.
I'd rather not go on about potential NEWCOMERS that didn't get in, trust me guys, I would've LOVED Ridley/K. Rool/Dixie/Andy/Isaac/Ray/Chibi Robo/Chrus Kids/Takamaru//Duster/Karate Joe as much as the next guy, but it's by no means as disheartening as seeing an old face disappear.

By all means though, I can definitely understand too, for the most part (disregarding Captain Ganondorf, N64 Toon Link, and WHY Wario.) Most of the old characters have been refined and rebuild, which makes me REALLY happy, even leaning closer to being more representative of their home series. Which makes me really happy!! Everyone really does, for the most part, have an interesting change from their past counterparts, which makes it seem all the better.

Overall though, I really love the roster, although who knows? Maybe DLC could pop up. But if this is what the final roster stands as, I'll be content with it for the next half-decade or so. But R.I.P Brawl characters, and the Ice Climbers, you will be missed by all of us. ;_;

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
The Ridley fanbase didn't take well to hearing that the space pirate WASN'T a part of the roster or so I have heard though that was to be expected in any case. I mean what is or rather what exactly was so difficult about accepting the fact that he was strongly implied to be a stage boss on Pyrosphere back in the April Nintendo Direct? Why did you fans have to go and delude yourselves into thinking he could be anything but a stage boss? If he wasn't playable in Brawl, what chance did he honestly stand at being a part of 4's roster and I mean this in the nicest way possible too! :)

FieryFetus

Smash Cadet
NNID
FieryFetus
3DS FC
1263-7040-1503
The Ridley fanbase didn't take well to hearing that the space pirate WASN'T a part of the roster or so I have heard though that was to be expected in any case. I mean what is or rather what exactly was so difficult about accepting the fact that he was strongly implied to be a stage boss on Pyrosphere back in the April Nintendo Direct? Why did you fans have to go and delude yourselves into thinking he could be anything but a stage boss? If he wasn't playable in Brawl, what chance did he honestly stand at being a part of 4's roster and I mean this in the nicest way possible too! :)

To be honest if he was really a stage boss Sakurai wouldn't have teased him, and no word from him speaking about Ridley has been said so much afterward. Its just STRANGE and I feel like Sakurai is pushing a few buttons. I want Ridley in but not as much as the Ridley supporters, he'd just be a big bonus for me.

Little-Mac!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedrawingdutch
I would love it if in the course of the wii U version there are 5 more characters revealed which you can download on your 3Ds one by one... No happening though^^

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
How am I wrong? Can you clarify what you mean and provide supporting examples?
#1: If Alph is a character with his own slot, he would be on www.smashbros.com with his own new spot just like every single other character in this history of this game has gotten on the day of their announcement.
#2: This picture

#3: That's all I got... I will admit... Sakurai worded it in a way that makes it sound like Alph is a new character, but what I think he meant is that when you change to the Alph costumes, his name at least changes. (I would assume the announcer also says "Alph!" instead of "Olimar!"

I'm quite pleased about it! It's kinda like getting 2 for the price of one. I wish they would have given Peach an actual Daisy alt... instead of just a Daisy recolor.

oksas

oak-sauce
most of those colors look pretty sweet... until you look at Sonic and Pac-Man and wonder if they even tried haha

SmashBros50

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo, Dixie, ridley, and Chorus Boys will be in. In the leak saying they are in, every single piece of info was correct. 8 palette swaps, Shulk's mode change, Alph, etc. I think maybe they are special characters that maybe require both the 3ds and wii u? It's crazy, nut it's possible. That's how the 3ds and wii u versions can maybe connect.

Last edited:

oksas

oak-sauce
Yeah. Where the heck is Shadow, Silver, and Metal Sonic?
yeah haha. definitely some missed opportunities I think, not to mention it would definitely be easier for the sake of teams if there was a red or a green Sonic or what have you. same goes for Pac-Man

Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Still trying to get over the fact Ike's last costume is chrom pallet -_- the most butthurt lol

D

Deleted member

Good to see speculation ending. These new characters and veterans look cool to play as. Can't wait until release.

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
#1: If Alph is a character with his own slot, he would be on www.smashbros.com with his own new spot just like every single other character in this history of this game has gotten on the day of their announcement.
#2: This picture

#3: That's all I got... I will admit... Sakurai worded it in a way that makes it sound like Alph is a new character, but what I think he meant is that when you change to the Alph costumes, his name at least changes. (I would assume the announcer also says "Alph!" instead of "Olimar!"

I'm quite pleased about it! It's kinda like getting 2 for the price of one. I wish they would have given Peach an actual Daisy alt... instead of just a Daisy recolor.
WHERE THE HECK IS BLUE FOX!!???

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Personally I can't understand why K. Rool and Ridley couldn't have been in this game. Also I noticed they took out Wolf! This is a good roster but it has it's flaws like having 4 fire emblem reps and bring Dr. Mario back. If they wanted to give us another Mario character atleast give us Paper Mario with some different moves and FS.

Last edited:

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
Well...

The message on the second pic says "You've completed All Star mode! You've unlocked/defeated all fighters!"

I'm afraid to say that this is the complete roster after all. Sorry guys.

Not gonna lie, it makes me sad the lack of Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf. While I wanted Mewtwo back I would have preferred we keep those three as well. Uh, well... reality hits you hard I guess.
Regardless, there is still hope in DLC. They can pull a Mario Kart 8 and maybe provide us with a few of the missing characters.

With that said, while the cuts sadden me and I'm satisfied with the newcomers. I pretty much like everyone that was added this time around. I would say that this roster is better than Brawl's minus those three, they will be missed.

Remember, DLC might still be a thing. We had loses but I also feel we gained a lot more as well.
Worst 911 ever...

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i'm actually satisfied by all the newcomers that have been announced. But I really have this strong feeling that Sakurai only thaught about his own favourite characters.

I mean, Olimar/Alph is selectable from the same character, just one difference is the name that changes if you choose Alph. Why the hell wasn't this done to Pit/Dark Pit? It's the same model, only different color...

Marth/Lucina I can understand since their models are different. But if he decided to change olimar's name to Alph, then this same thing could had been done to Marth/lucina, Pit/Dark Pit, Peach/Daisy.

A lot of things really don't make any sense. It's just looking messy and not he's really being consistent in the way he presents the characters.

Now, I'm not trying to complain here, but I'm not a big fan of some characters that were let in above others. Jigglypuff still in. That character is the most boring one ever to me. (just my opinion) I bet she still had that useless 'Sing' that can be woken up from earlier than the end of the move itself... Things like this just seem lazy. It all points out to me that there was once again a big time pressure (hence all the clones, Ganondorf still slow c.falcon, cutting Wolf (Ice Climbers gone I can live with, they were broken IMO anyways).

Deadlines ruining the actual development. I can only hope my requested characters are maybe time-bound to be unlocked. Like playing 100-hours to unlock [ ??? ]. Maybe with the release of the Wii U version (to keep the hype real for that moment) some extra characters are to be announced as DLC i dunno. There's still some hope for me to see Dixie Kong and Mewtwo.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo, Dixie, ridley, and Chorus Boys will be in. In the leak saying they are in, every single piece of info was correct. 8 palette swaps, Shulk's mode change, Alph, etc. I think maybe they are special characters that maybe require both the 3ds and wii u? It's crazy, nut it's possible. That's how the 3ds and wii u versions can maybe connect.
That wasn't part of that leak, somebody else threw it in and it got mixed up with it.

Higgens

Smash Cadet
The only things I have a problem with (and it's a small problem) are clones. I feel like brawl did a decent job of taking the melee clones and making them feel different. I hope they did that in here as well. Though I hadn't thought of the release schedule messing with that....really don't want **** clones..

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I am Sonic's agent, and I wish to read the following comment on his behalf (with emphasis also on the eShop sale not including the individual noted), to the website smashbros.com.
Ahem:
YOU"RE TOO SLOOOOW!!!

Last edited:

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
... No one's said it yet. Alright. I will.

In all seriousness... not a bad roster. We all know it has its flaw, and everyone still wants "x over y", but I think it's decent enough.

Of course, I find the exclusion of Ridley and Mewto disheartening. I have a feeling the leaker deliberately mentioned their presence in the game just to generate false hype.

drewhockley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4339-2953-4831
I am Sonic's agent, and I wish to read the following comment on his behalf (with emphasis also on the eShop sale not including the individual noted), to the website smashbros.com.
Ahem:
YOU"RE TOO SLOOOOW!!!
why because they want there to be suprise in this game?

drewhockley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4339-2953-4831
I'm pretty sure Mewtwo was replaced in favor of Lucario cuz he was from the newest Pokemon at the time.
I'd believe that over being replaced for pokemon trainer.

he was going to be in the game however to save time some characters were cut, mewtwo was one of them, and know one i knew really cared that he left, hell honestly i almost forgot he was in melee,

Top Bottom