• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Challenger Pack 11 Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I’ve gone back and watched the trailer and I agree. It was extremely touching and endearing. Very few franchises could evoke such emotion as KH can - not because it’s a series everyone loves to death but because that’s the type of atmosphere…feeling it creates within its own mythos.
It's definitely the music.

Although the story and characters may be mixed, it is universally agreed upon that the music for that series is top tier.

I may not have wanted Sora initially, but I do think he is a great addition now.

Would've loved 13th Struggle but we will take what we can get lol.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You: Kingdom Hearts is no where near as popular as it used to be (as a reason that this was a bad pick)
Me: Yet it is still far more popular than SMT has ever been.
Ok? That is kind of the whole reason why I wanted a SMT rep in Smash.
You cannot have it both ways that Sora is a bad choice because his game isn't popular, and then say a significantly less popular character is a better
Amazing ending with a the most requested character ever.

It makes sense to end with a popular pick as it would give a last push to ultimate sales this holiday.

Now add Master Chief, Resident Evil Rep, Crash and Lara Croft lol. I already made my document design for Smash Ultimate DX, aiming for early 2024 release., in time for smash 25 anniversary.
A person of culture, I see.

You are missing a few- but yes. I have the exact same opinion.

Smash Director's cut.
I think it will be 2023, with the Switch pro.
Rollback Netcode. Serial DLC Story Mode. Boss Rush.
Seven more echoes (including Impa, Octoling, Dixie)
Five-Ten new base characters (I'm gonna guess Dragaux, Isaac, Another Pokemon/Maybe Finally Zelda [hoping for all four champs]/ A New Mario character, but probably Captain Toad [after the sequel is released] and another Retro Nintendo character are givens, plus one more third party, which I will think to be Bomberman, or someone from Bamco, like Nightmare or Agumon).

Then 2 more rounds of DLC. This will be from all the companies that reached out to Sakurai for inclusion, as well as new ideas Sakurai has over vacation. And a desire to improve upon his work.
choice.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Is the arranged version of Simple and Clean going to be anywhere in game? It was really damn nice. I understand if it's only for the trailer though. It's also like 1 of 2 KH songs I actually know (with the other locked behind another game's purchase... oof).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Is the arranged version of Simple and Clean going to be anywhere in game? It was really damn nice. I understand if it's only for the trailer though. It's also like 1 of 2 KH songs I actually know (with the other locked behind another game's purchase... oof).
No it won't unfortunately.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Btw I just realized

Second chance theory was kinda correct since Sakurai probably wanted to include Sora in Sm4sh but couldn't

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
You: Kingdom Hearts is no where near as popular as it used to be (as a reason that this was a bad pick)
Me: Yet it is still far more popular than SMT has ever been.

You cannot have it both ways that Sora is a bad choice because his game isn't popular, and then say a significantly less popular character is a better

Smash Director's cut.
Five-Ten new base characters (I'm gonna guess Dragaux, Isaac, Another Pokemon/Maybe Finally Zelda [hoping for all four champs]/ A New Mario character, but probably Captain Toad [after the sequel is released] and another Retro Nintendo character are givens, plus one more third party, which I will think to be Bomberman, or someone from Bamco, like Nightmare or Agumon).

Then 2 more rounds of DLC. This will be from all the companies that reached out to Sakurai for inclusion, as well as new ideas Sakurai has over vacation. And a desire to improve upon his work.
choice.
I didn’t say that Kingdom Hearts isn’t popular enough for Smash, I simply replied to someone talking about the popularity of the series and I said it was way more popular during the Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 days, learn to read into the context people. There is a reason that they used “Simple and Clean” for Sora’s trailer and Kingdom Hearts 3 is relegated to just an alternate costume. Sora has been waning in popularity everywhere except in Smash circles, where his peak popularity was preserved because he has been the most requested Smash character since his popularity peaked.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I didn’t say that Kingdom Hearts isn’t popular enough for Smash, I simply replied to someone talking about the popularity of the series and I said it was way more popular during the Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 days, learn to read into the context people. There is a reason that they used “Simple and Clean” for Sora’s trailer and Kingdom Hearts 3 is relegated to just an alternate costume. Sora has been waning in popularity everywhere except in Smash circles, where his peak popularity was preserved because he has been the most requested Smash character since his popularity peaked.
...because Simple and Clean is a song that people will immediately think about when it comes to Kingdom Hearts, and the first installment of a series tends to be the one that people will remember? Saying that Kingdom Hearts is waning in popularity because Sora's Kingdom Hearts 1 outfit was used seems to be like saying that Metal Gear Solid is waning in popularity because Snake was based on MGS1 rather than MGS3/4, or that Splatoon is waning in popularity because the Inklings were based on Splatoon 1.

For all we know, KH1 is the default costume for Sora because it fits the lighter tone of Smash, or because it's the one that gets used in Sora's spin-off appearances.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace

Smash Director's cut.

choice.
I think it a bit more simple:

6 new comers; splatoon 3 character (maybe new octoling/villain incarnation), Ring Fit Trainer and a gen 8 Pokémon to represent late switch era. As fan requested character, Bandana Waddle Dee. From third parties 2 characters; the big addition is Leon/Jill from Resident Evil (like Steve/Alex, one is an alt from other) and an AT promotion; Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter (full VF moveset translated to Smash, has a low poly alt similar to the actual AT). You would still need to buy FP1/2 DLC characters individually.

new stages using assets from switch games; Splatoon 3, Pokémon S/S, Zelda BOTW2, Ring Fit, Mario Kart 9, MH Rise plus a Resident Evil and Virtua Fighter stage.

There would be a post-game WoL area with 4 new bosses; Tabuu (fight similar to Brawl but new attacks), Porky (the same as Brawl), Dr Eggman (similary to final Sonic games) and Magnamalo (from MH Rise).

8 new AT; 4 returning from previous games (Infantry & Tanks, Kat & Ana, Saki Akamiya and Ray MKIII) and 4 new ones (Arthur from GnG, Magnamalo, Solaire from Dark Souls and a new one from a popular third party like Among Us crew or something smilar). They also add 4/5 new gen 8 Pokémon.

Around 150 new tracks, the majority from 2020-23 switch games. Not many new remixes. Around 90-100 new spirits (most of them will be included in the new WoL section).

the only new mode is create your own target smash, same parts as stage builder (maybe a few new more included) and share online with anyone. You can set some conditions like time or beat with X character.

4 new mii costumes; Astral Chains twins and 2 more from late switch era titles.

After, they plan 6 DLC characters, 1 standalone (Chun-Li from Street Fighter) and the rest as a new FP (Xenoblade 3 protagonist, Crash, Master Chief, Lara Croft and a future swtich title character like next FE lol). Each of this new FP will include stage, music and spirit board. Mii costume waves from Crash and MC will be from Sony (Nathan Drake, Kratos, Alloy, Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy) and Microsoft characters (Marcus, Joanna Dark, Conker, Fulgore and Ori).

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Lmao there's no point in arguing with someone who set themselves up for disappointment by being absolutely sure their MW will get in

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
People think Bayonetta "didn't really win" because hardcore speculators didn't think she had a chance and didn't put her in some of the fan polls

Meanwhile her actual fans just voted for her in the ballot anyway because why give up on a dream?

Just look at how Heavy Weapons Guy gets very little discussion yet keeps topping polls, people live in an internet of bubbles
The trouble with relying on online polling for roster selection is that online polls aren't an effective measure of gauging any specific character's overall popularity. They're only a measure of a characters' fanbase's willingness and ability to game the polling system. Low effort vote stuffing can be dealt with, sure, but there are methods that can make it undetectable.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nintendo is not as good at marketing as I thought.

Now SMT V will barely sell more than SMT IV despite a massive budget increase from Atlus, and Smash(and possibly Nintendo itself) is going to be killed by Disney like they killed Star Wars and are trying to do to Marvel.

Now for Smash 6 people will either expect every character under the sun and use Sora as an excuse for why Nintendo failed by not bringing that character, or Smash will now get every big character ever and no one will care about Smash reveals after that point.
Ignoring the... Everything else, how will one Disney character in Smash ruin the entire company? And how is Marvel being ruined?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You're backtracking. You were arguing why Sora was a poor choice, and that this was in part because KH is no longer as popular as it once was (which, I don't agree with anyway, but it was your argument).

I'm more than happy to read into context- I have extensive training in literary fields, including it being a part of my professional experience. You here, and elsewhere, see a point disproven, or find you misspoke, and then twist the words of what you have said. The only context to read into is that you are bitter the character you wanted didn't get in, and that there is no logic as to why it was a bad choice, other than that you- personally- had different tastes.

I have bitterness about some of the characters... and most importantly, that the process is over. I still think the game could and should have another 20 characters, several modes, some character tweaks (DK Barrel throw, differences in the Links, a Cappy move)... I don't think Sakurai will be fully happy with this game in two years, because online still isn't stable, and cannot be on its current model. I (nearly) expect an updated version of this game with the Switch pro, where Sakurai has more character ideas (after a vacation), and where Nintendo has had time to work with more Third Party companies who have come out to ask for their characters in Smash. I think Smash Ultimate was made with the idea of future games in mind, so that future iterations of the game (same game, updated) would still have ability to use all licensed content. I think that the only way to get a 'bigger' Smash, is by using the same title with DX updates, and that the true 'next' Smash will be a reboot, or related only to specific series (Super Mario Smash). But yes, I'm still bitter about a lot. I don't hold this against you, but it is absolutely what is happening.

I also know that, despite this bitterness towards some missed opportunities (as I view it), this game is insane. And Jesus, motherf****ing SORA is in. Smash is my Sanctuary, and I won't think twice.

Also, everyone:
  • No 4th character from a repped third party
  • No 2nd character from a third party company in the same pass

Two more stupid rules broken.

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is not as good at marketing as I thought.

Now SMT V will barely sell more than SMT IV despite a massive budget increase from Atlus, and Smash(and possibly Nintendo itself) is going to be killed by Disney like they killed Star Wars and are trying to do to Marvel.

Now for Smash 6 people will either expect every character under the sun and use Sora as an excuse for why Nintendo failed by not bringing that character, or Smash will now get every big character ever and no one will care about Smash reveals after that point.
C. O. P. E.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm still happy about Sora.
I realllllly hope we get that 2023 Switch Pro directors cut edition of Smash.
I think it a bit more simple:

6 new comers; splatoon 3 character (maybe new octoling/villain incarnation), Ring Fit Trainer and a gen 8 Pokémon to represent late switch era. As fan requested character, Bandana Waddle Dee. From third parties 2 characters; the big addition is Leon/Jill from Resident Evil (like Steve/Alex, one is an alt from other) and an AT promotion; Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter (full VF moveset translated to Smash, has a low poly alt similar to the actual AT). You would still need to buy FP1/2 DLC characters individually.

new stages using assets from switch games; Splatoon 3, Pokémon S/S, Zelda BOTW2, Ring Fit, Mario Kart 9, MH Rise plus a Resident Evil and Virtua Fighter stage.

There would be a post-game WoL area with 4 new bosses; Tabuu (fight similar to Brawl but new attacks), Porky (the same as Brawl), Dr Eggman (similary to final Sonic games) and Magnamalo (from MH Rise).

8 new AT; 4 returning from previous games (Infantry & Tanks, Kat & Ana, Saki Akamiya and Ray MKIII) and 4 new ones (Arthur from GnG, Magnamalo, Solaire from Dark Souls and a new one from a popular third party like Among Us crew or something smilar). They also add 4/5 new gen 8 Pokémon.

Around 150 new tracks, the majority from 2020-23 switch games. Not many new remixes. Around 90-100 new spirits (most of them will be included in the new WoL section).

the only new mode is create your own target smash, same parts as stage builder (maybe a few new more included) and share online with anyone. You can set some conditions like time or beat with X character.

4 new mii costumes; Astral Chains twins and 2 more from late switch era titles.

After, they plan 6 DLC characters, 1 standalone (Chun-Li from Street Fighter) and the rest as a new FP (Xenoblade 3 protagonist, Crash, Master Chief, Lara Croft and a future swtich title character like next FE lol). Each of this new FP will include stage, music and spirit board. Mii costume waves from Crash and MC will be from Sony (Nathan Drake, Kratos, Alloy, Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy) and Microsoft characters (Marcus, Joanna Dark, Conker, Fulgore and Ori).
I like all of this... minus Chun Li... but why would she be the one stand alone character?
The trouble with relying on online polling for roster selection is that online polls aren't an effective measure of gauging any specific character's overall popularity. They're only a measure of a characters' fanbase's willingness and ability to game the polling system. Low effort vote stuffing can be dealt with, sure, but there are methods that can make it undetectable.
I mean... in general, I'm tempted to agree with you.
But that old Twitter poll that told us top ten of each region listed Sora at the top of each.
And, well... that seemed to have been correct.

I 100% saw this when it aired, and thought for half a second... that...Mickey..... was going to get his own invite.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I like all of this... minus Chun Li... but why would she be the one stand alone character?
Well, Street Fighter Universe has lots of content in Smash, yes biased on SF2, but still they have 2 characters, 1 AT, 1 stage, every SF2 Type A and B theme and 27 spirits. By adding Chun-Li, just add a remix of her theme and, at least, I will be satisfied. Put resources on other Capcom IPs like getting more MH content.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, Street Fighter Universe has lots of content in Smash, yes biased on SF2, but still they have 2 characters, 1 AT, 1 stage, every SF2 Type A and B theme and 27 spirits. By adding Chun-Li, just add a remix of her theme and, at least, I will be satisfied. Put resources on other Capcom IPs like getting more MH content.
Do you mean, if not adding Chun Li, just add that music track, and you'll be satisfied?
Obviously you'd be satisfied with them adding Chun Li, if they were to add Chun Li as a fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom