• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenge Mode

D

Deleted member

This obviously deconfirms Nin10dough's "leak"--He said that you would get the Battleship Halberd trophy, amongst other things, when you beat the SSE

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I'm... Confused...

Is this like those old adventure games, id est where you'll start with a set number of hammers and never be able to get more? :o
If the hammers are like purple Checks in KAR(which they probably are), then you'll actually unlock them inside the checks themselves.

also, note that in KAR, the whole checklist locations are completely random each time you start a new save. I hope that's the case with brawl as well...

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
This is so sweet! This will add a lot of replayability... Well, I can say one thing: If the characters are in this mode, I bet you can't break them with the hammer. Then, everyone would just use the hammers on those events...

regorris

Smash Apprentice
He was getting tired of making sequel after sequel for Nintendo. He loves Kirby to pieces, you can tell with this game, but he's sick of making sequels. (same games, just more features/levels/characters/difficulty)

Nice update though, this will be extremely helpful like it was in Kirby's Air Ride. I'm glad this got in.
<:(>
I suppose it is only a matter of time before he gets sick of the Smash series then... perhaps this is the game that we'll have to play for the rest of our lives (like Garou: MotW, and Third Strike)
</:(>

<:)>
Anyway, I loooooove this update. This means that I'll need no guide, no gamefaqs, no nuffin in order to unlock all the game's features! And, AND not everything will be revealed to me at once... this is so friggin hot!
</:)>

edit: woo! 23rd post, HAIL ERIS!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Ah so this is KAR music he referenced? Fitting. *Listens* Wow, that sounds very Castlevania-ish. And yeah, Sakurai supposedly said he didnt agree iwth how Kirby Air Ride was being developed, and left after it came out. So all these nods to air ride he has are kind of funny.

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if some Unlockable characters would be found here?, he did say there are some the hammer cna't break, I mean there should a least be a stage

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I IMMEDIATELY thought of Kirby Air Ride when I saw this.

Although, now that I think about it, it did have a SSBM-esque feel to it.

offtopic: Misto-Roboto, what's with this title?! You can do better than that. >:(

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
<:(>
I suppose it is only a matter of time before he gets sick of the Smash series then... perhaps this is the game that we'll have to play for the rest of our lives (like Garou: MotW, and Third Strike)
</:(>

<:)>
Anyway, I loooooove this update. This means that I'll need no guide, no gamefaqs, no nuffin in order to unlock all the game's features! And, AND not everything will be revealed to me at once... this is so friggin hot!
</:)>

edit: woo! 23rd post, HAIL ERIS!
A SSB4 will happen, wether its made by him or not

spjd

Smash Apprentice
This is brilliant! And I'm over-joyed by Frozen Hillside! :chuckle: This is amongst my top three of Kirby music I wanted in! Weee!!!

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Wow....I don't think I've seen anything more beating-around-the-bush as this. He doesn't want to give in, does he? Sakurai doesn't want to admit to himself, no matter how unique the fighting system is, Smash is a Fighting Game.
Please Sakurai...for everyone's sake, just accept it, the VS mode is the only mode that ends up important in a fighting game. The sooner that happens, the sooner we can all live happier.
God ****.....

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Wow. Awesome update. Deranged "smashing glass" quote but awesome update.

Other than Halberd and possibly Gray Fox, what else trophies are on here? Can anyone tell? The one on the far right kinda looks like Lati@s.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Wow this mode is really cool. I saw it last night and didn't give it much thought. But now I look at it and I see how awesome it is. I like that there is music in this. Makes it so you don't have to always worry about the CDS that fall during normal play.

It also looks to me like there are alot of things to unlock, as the windows go around the room. I don't know how far they go, but in that one picture you can see one ending point.

Cool stuff.

D

Deleted member

Wow. Awesome update. Deranged "smashing glass" quote but awesome update.

Other than Halberd and possibly Gray Fox, what else trophies are on here? Can anyone tell? The one on the far right kinda looks like Lati@s.
The one you called "Lati@s" is what I call "Battleship Halberd"

Cid2006

Smash Rookie
I think this has been quite an unexpected and welcome addition to the game.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
I like this. Strangely it makes me hanker for the game much more than most other game mode updates, and it's not even about any actual gameplay. If only there was a European or even Australian release date already :(

Manny G.

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if you could use this to unlock characters and stages. Maybe if it keeps track of them, it would be one of the boxes you cant break open like in Kirby Air Ride in the City Trial where you cant use the purple box(equivalent to the golden hammer) to open the pieces of dragoon (which is also in smash).

courte

Smash Lord
ok so does this update have anything to do with ashley?? was she deconfirmed or is it just a coincedence that thread was closed on the same day this came out

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
ok so does this update have anything to do with ashley?? was she deconfirmed or is it just a coincedence that thread was closed on the same day this came out
I think ashley was seen in the background of one of the stages in JPN correct me if I am wrong.

DQP

Smash Ace
pretty cool

i like the idea of new ways of getting trophys. it's certainly better than the coin lottery in melee, in my humble opinion

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
i kinda feel let down on this, its not REALLY a challenge but a requirement mode, you need a SPECIFIC requirement to unlock stuff or use your hammers to smash away at the glass.
E.g.
Halberd trophy = complete 'Pink Ball Repulsion'
Stafy = complete Target Smash Level 1 with 10 characters
Frozen Hillside = Brawl on the Halberd 10 times

I like that you need to play through EVERYTHING to unlock EVERYTHING but look next to the birdo trophy in screen shots 5-6, to Birdo's right is a Gray Fox Trophy. I wonder you get that if either...
A. Play on Shadow Moses Island with Snake 5x
B. Release him to be an AT
C. Something else

The thing that caught my attention that even with the hammer, some screens WONT brake when you hit them, they are ONLY got by completing the requirement. Instead of Challenges, maybe call it Requirement mode. I wonder whether this particular mode is in the Vault or somewhere else, has anyone thought about that?

ALSO after a quick check, the stafy trophy is not shown in any other screen shot except screenshot 2, that means there is a huge list of requirements to actually do before its all complete. Well at least now we get a 'head start' or 'answers' to unlock three rewards so far.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Yup, Almost EXACTLY like Kirby Air Ride.

I wish there were Golden Hammers in that game, because there were 2 goals left I couldn't beat. City Trial challenges are interesting...
golden hammers are a copy of the purple tiles in kirby air ride

Kirye

Smash Ace
Please Sakurai...for everyone's sake, just accept it, the VS mode is the only mode that ends up important in a fighting game. The sooner that happens, the sooner we can all live happier.
God ****.....
I take it you're not a fan of the 360 achievements thing, or KAR. o.O

I actually really like this feature. It makes for something to do after you beat the game, and unlocking songs, trophies, stages and possible characters adds even more hype to this option. The game is a fighting game, yes, for the competitive scene. But don't tell me you wouldn't get competitive with other people if there was a reward for "Beating SSE mode on very hard in under 10 minutes with all characters, no continues" and you got it. I'd waive that **** around forever.

Basically, this just adds more to do after finishing the game, some of them will probably be cooperative rewards, so of course it adds more to do with another player, and adds to the competitive scene. Not all of us consider Smash bros "Just another fighting game".

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.
Very forgettable update. I did in fact forget until I got back and reloaded the Dojo (Not even seeing the Dojo Update: Challenge in the forums jogged my memory.

Anyway, I'm personally NOT GOING TO DO THIS UNTIL I HAVE UNLUCKED EVERYTHING WORTH UNLOCKING. That means Characters, Stages, and anything else as important as those. And even then, I'll looks sparingly. Half the fun is figuring out what the **** you have to do to get yoshi's island 64. (Not really figuring out, just saying "screw it, I'ma go beat up sandbag to take out my frustrations" and being lucky.

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
But don't tell me you wouldn't get competitive with other people if there was a reward for "Beating SSE mode on very hard in under 10 minutes with all characters, no continues" and you got it. I'd waive that **** around forever.
Very hard is for wusses, real men play intense.

Also, love the update today. UN-LOCK-ABLES....EVERYWHERE!

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
just so you know, just like kirby air ride, you unlock most of this stuff without trying. u will probably unlock 20% of it just going thru the SSE, and playing a few matches online with ur friends. Whenever i play KAR with my friends, almost every match sumthing new gets unlocked.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
just so you know, just like kirby air ride, you unlock most of this stuff without trying. u will probably unlock 20% of it just going thru the SSE, and playing a few matches online with ur friends. Whenever i play KARL with my friends, almost every match sumthing new gets unlocked.

I agree completely. It's all true.

rishter

Smash Rookie
The first think i thought this morning was "OMG, Kirby Air Ride!".
I'm sure it'll be used for characters and stages, because in KARL, you used this mode to unlock different colored Kirbys and also new crafts to ride.
Nevertheless, it'll be interesting.

Spartan64

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna find out which blocks have the good unlockables from japan, and then use my golden hammer on them. I might have new chracters before doing anything.

SSBBKingster

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. Kirby AirRide fits this alot. Its the exact thing except hints. But i think this'll build character if you ask moi

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
As small of a feature as it is, I actually think this is pretty cool. I'm kind of hoping that the placement of unlockables is randomized on each new game so people don't abuse the Gold Hammers by finding maps on the internet, but even if it's not I still like it. Adds a little bit more polish as well as making giving a visual goal for people to work towards as opposed to Melee where I had no idea what I was missing or still needed to do unless I went over a FAQ on the internet.... Getting a random "You got XXXXX Trophy/Stage/Etc." is nice and all, but I like being able to actually work towards a goal.

This update SHOULD have been part of a double, but I can live with it. :)

courte

Smash Lord
actually this is like that menu in melee, the one that lets you know when you did what?? only difference is this lets you know what you have to do for the next one which is quite helpful... but still it should have been coupled with an item update!! :grin:

Top Bottom