• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenge Mode

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Sakurai reveals a new mode for collecting trophies, stickers and music while promoting a little vandalism.

Sakurai definitely has had his moments in which one really question his quirky sense of humor, but this update on the DOJO just had me scratching my head while also excited about another mode for releasing the Smash goodness that is Brawl's rewards.

Now the trick to this mode is that you have to meet certain conditions in the game to obtain the rewards within the glass.

As you get new rewards, other ones near them will leave clues to how get them and a silhouette of what they may be.

The more you clear the more hints become available.

However you can also obtain Golden Hammers to give those glass windows a big 'screw you' to following the rules by unlocking them by normal means.

I do find thius comment from Sakurai kind of odd and the original point of my article, Sakurai has a very unique sense of humor.​
<blockquote>
Oh, but you should also know that there are some windows even a trusty Golden Hammer won

Link to original post: [drupal=456]Challenge Mode[/drupal]

JohnnyInThePants

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting, I like it.
I was wondering if they would show a silhouette of an unlockable character or something.

Patchi

Smash Rookie
In a house, in a state, in a country, on a plantet
This mode is obviously a reference to Kirby Air Ride, where if you met certain conditon, something would be unlocked, and the four spot around it wold show certain conditions. You would unlock alternate colors, characters, tracks, items, and special stickers, whihc would unlock any space you wanted. And, like the golden hammers, only worked once.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Yup, Almost EXACTLY like Kirby Air Ride.

I wish there were Golden Hammers in that game, because there were 2 goals left I couldn't beat. City Trial challenges are interesting...

Meta Jr

Smash Cadet
In between The Halberd and Bowser's Castle. You ca
Yeah, this is a lot like Kirby Air Ride. But instead of Golden Hammers they had these purple dots, and you could use a purple dot on a challenge. Just click the dot on the side pick a challenge. But when you used the purple dot it would show purple not green or another colour meaning you cleared it just purple. I thought the only difference was when you cleared the challenge with a Golden Hammer it doesn't show a Golden Hammer meaning you did it with a Hammer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That sure brings back the days of Kirby Air Ride. Heck, I think that ALL unlockable things will appear on that list (especially the secret characters).

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Not a very funny title, but whatever.

This is the exact same thing that was in Kirby Air Ride, and it makes sense, since some of the people behinds Super Smash Bros. Melee worked on Kirby Air Ride.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
you don't, you need to clear them not get them red.

In kirby's air ride, you could do a task you skipped(AKA used a purple dot on) and then it'll turn to the right colour.

they'll even stay purple when the rest go gold, when you finish them all...

I don't know if brawl will have an indication to whether or not you used a hammer on a task.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like Frozen Hillside as a music selection....

The ratio of music to trophies in that last picture does get me excited about the amount of musid that's sure to come, though! Gogo 10 songs per stage!

india3

Smash Cadet
i'm betting that when he said there were some things even golden hammers could not break through, he meant secret characters among other things..

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
This mode is obviously a reference to Kirby Air Ride, where if you met certain conditon, something would be unlocked, and the four spot around it wold show certain conditions. You would unlock alternate colors, characters, tracks, items, and special stickers, whihc would unlock any space you wanted. And, like the golden hammers, only worked once.
its just like kirby air ride.
Yup, Almost EXACTLY like Kirby Air Ride.

I wish there were Golden Hammers in that game, because there were 2 goals left I couldn't beat. City Trial challenges are interesting...
That's exactly what I thought about when I first saw the first screenshot.
I was never good at Kirby Air Ride so some of the challenges I couldn't do. :(
But Smash should be no problem. I hope... :)

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I have been hoping for an unlocking method similar to this since we had the menus revealed. I noted the KAR similarities right away, and thought we MIGHT get something like this.

As for the unbreakable panels, it's likely things like "Break 100 panels!" like in KAR. Not much point to it, you'll get it if you begin to try. In KAR, they were in the corners...but maybe not. Perhaps Characters are unbreakable. It would be a tad cheap to just BAM! New character sans effort.

Spot4

Smash Rookie
This was one of the things that made Kirby's Air Ride so playable for me -- random challenges with little rewards here and there. Not all of them made sense, but just trying to aim for one or another while playing was a blast. This actually has me more excited than most of last week's posts.

Also, I feel as if someone should be making Brawl Jeopardy spoof using that first pic right now. I dunno, that's just me.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Soooo...I guess you can't use hammers to unlock stages and characters right? =P

Lord SeBz

Smash Journeyman
HA! I knew it.
well, expected is more like it. But after all the KAR-ish menus, it is no surprise.

Mr.L

Smash Rookie
With this mode it will be a bit easy to get all trophies and stickers but chances are I really wont use it since I like a challenge to get things the old way but it is good later on when i get stuck.

Dragothel

Smash Journeyman
Ah, Kirby's Air Ride, how I miss you so...

But this is a great update! I loved this feture in that game, it should make Brawl even better!

Tpoto

Smash Cadet
hmmm. I'm confused... So to start this mode, you have to unlock something right? Then you will start getting the red ones? And then by completing the red ones, the become clear? once a window is completely open, it just means you have unlocked that thing right?...

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is a great update, and one perfect for me since I probably don't have the time to play it like others so I can find out how to unlock stuff without digging through an online faq.

Rash

Smash Ace
This way people can unlock a lot of content without having to consult message boards or Gamefaqs. I like when these kinds of features are included because it allows the game to tell you how to unlock things, rather than having an outside source tell you instead.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
I bet when you fill everything up, it flips around and shows the silhouette of a character, and then tells you how to unlock him/her.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I doubt it, It'll probably light up gold or something.

I think we're looking at this from the wrong approach, maybe it's there just for SOME of the unlockables, while others are gotten through the coin launcher, and actual gameplay. not sure about how it'll work. but combination is the way to go IMO

NukeA6

Smash Master
Geez, if Sakurai adds another feature, Brawl will probably be the game I'll play for the rest of my life.

I'm glad I reserved the game.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who finds this cruelly ironic? This feature comes from Kirby Air Ride... That game is the reason that Sakurai left HAL Laboratory! Why, I can't remember, though.

But pertaining to the update, it's certainly interesting.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
this is just like trying to find the stuff in Kirby's Air Ride....OMG speak of the devil we're getting Music from KAR as well Whoo-Hoo!!! *hopes for Checker Knights*

Am I the only one who finds this cruelly ironic? This feature comes from Kirby Air Ride... That game is the reason that Sakurai left HAL Laboratory! Why, I can't remember, though.

But pertaining to the update, it's certainly interesting.
uhhmmmm....I dont think KAR was the reason y Sakurai Left HAL Labs......wait..it was???....no it wasnt XD

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
He was getting tired of making sequel after sequel for Nintendo. He loves Kirby to pieces, you can tell with this game, but he's sick of making sequels. (same games, just more features/levels/characters/difficulty)

Nice update though, this will be extremely helpful like it was in Kirby's Air Ride. I'm glad this got in.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I'm... Confused...

Is this like those old adventure games, id est where you'll start with a set number of hammers and never be able to get more? :o

Top Bottom