• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CGing at the edge with Grab Stick (C-stick to grab)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I remember teh old days of learning to CG falco (Before the Buffer CG) and Prime came up with buffering a dash grab at the ledge. I found out a new way to CG even when you are all the way against the ledge.

It is actually really simple. If you try to buffer a grab when you are too far to the ledge, pikachu will go into "Oh **** I might fall" animation. However, if you buffer a slow walk and then grab with the C-stick, pikachu won't go through that animation. After you get that regrab, you are (somehow) farther from the ledge, and you can just regrab normally. A vid would be pointless since all you would see is buffering. I did this against Candy and Fatal for lots of % so it is legit.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Wouldn't Snake be able to jump out that first dthrow on the ledge since you're walking then grabbing?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, you don't see yourself walk, but its like buffering something before the grab so the grab isn't interrupted by the ledge toppling animation.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You said you end up farther from the ledge...... so I'm guessing when you slow walk > grab, their body pushes you back far enough to normal regrab after the next throw?

Not gonna lie, I'm a little confused. But if it's a guaranteed way to CG when the end of the stage would otherwise stop you, that'll be useful.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
As far as I know, you can't buffer anything when you're too far on the ledge. Let me try this out.

What I usually when I grab them on the edge is dthrow then hold shield and spam A so I shield grab as soon as possible then I continue doing the buffer dthrow since I'm farther from the edge.

Edit: I just tested this and I don't think you can buffer a walk grab on the edge. Unless I'm doing something wrong here.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
All i do is hold forward SLIGHTLY and grab. THe forward wouldn't be enough to F-tilt or F-throw, but enough to do a super super slow walk

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If my matches vs fatal get up I can show you guys what I did. Otherwise, its pretty hard to show you since all you would see is a buffer grab.

Roller

Smash Legend
If my matches vs fatal get up I can show you guys what I did. Otherwise, its pretty hard to show you since all you would see is a buffer grab.

Not sure I understand, why would you be able to show us this in your vid vs Fatal, but not against just your brother or something in an example vid? Wouldn't you either not see it in either or see it in both?

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
this is cool, but I can't recall being exactly on the ledge where i can't get a buffered re grab from d throw and i go into the oh god i might fall animation, but maybe it's been happening and i've just thought i screwed up or something :p

anyway, cool find.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
"Oh **** I might fall" animation.
this one?

i checked this animation and his eyes are always closed during it O.o

so is this like a ledge infinite? or does it go/applicable at or to a certain %?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Can you explain what this does exactly?

I know you can't buffer a walk and you can't buffer anything if you run grab on the edge. And you're saying to buffer a walk on the edge which is impossible from what I understand. Normally I just shield grab that first dthrow on the edge then after that Pika is just far enough from the edge to buffer dthrow cg normally. You need to get a vid or something.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
the other things would also be; what other characters does it work on? or is it only just snake?

and what about slanted ledges like we see at places like YI brawl?

Prawn

Smash Master
esam i might pick up pika because of this/your placing/my hatred for snakes

no homo dawg

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This technique continues teh chaingrabs that were previously a lot more spacing-intensive because too short on snake and the grenades would fall on the level, but too far the chaingrab wouldn't be possible. I honestly don't know how it works, but it does. I hope my vids get up and Nintendo lets MLG do that.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Bringing up Roller's question again: why would we be able to see it in your MLG vids but not in a demonstration video?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You could see it in a demonstration video, but I would just like my vids to be up in the first place. I also don't really wanna play brawl for a while becuase of the overload this weekend.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So it appears to also work if you tap down before you buffer the grab. Remember to do both before the 10 frame window is up!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
This technique continues teh chaingrabs that were previously a lot more spacing-intensive because too short on snake and the grenades would fall on the level, but too far the chaingrab wouldn't be possible. I honestly don't know how it works, but it does. I hope my vids get up and Nintendo lets MLG do that.

It doesn't. The cg auto fixes itself after the first dthrow, you don't have to do anything. Being too far to cg was never a problem after the first dthrow.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I meant as in if you F-throw them again they will be off the level unable to be regrabbed or too short and still be on the level.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So yeah, this only works if you have the C-stick set to grab (don't know why, me and Prime couldn't figure it out) so yeah...I'll update the OP with that.

Top Bottom