• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO Announces 2014 Games - Features Project M, Smash Melee

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
CEO Gaming has announced their game lineup for the 2014 summer tournament. The tournament, in its 5th year running, was first born in 2010 in the aftermath of the GAMME collapse. GAMME, a highly anticipated tournament in it's time with promises of huge prize support, came under fire for fraud and fell apart just weeks before the tournament. With flights and hotels booked, many players thought they would be out of luck. As it was, Plank joined forces with Alex Jebailey, found a venue, got things together, and CEO was born. Though Smash has typically been featured at the tournament, Jebailey made the controversial decision to not include Smash Melee at the 2013 event even though Melee was an announced EVO game.

For the 2014 CEO lineup, Super Smash Brothers Melee and Project M will both be at the event and tournaments will be hosted by Gaming Knights. Since EVO has yet to confirm Melee, CEO may see a substantial increase in interest and attendance. The tournament will be held at the Wyndham Resort in Orlando, Florida on June 27-29, 2014. Registration opens on March 1st - if last year is any indicator the venue fee will be between $40-$60 with an additional charge of $10 per game entered. Spectator passes at CEO 2013 were $20. The full game lineup is below.

• Ultra Street Fighter 4 on XBOX 360 which is slated for an early June release. If there are any delays then it would be AE2012
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 on XBOX 360
  • Killer Instinct on XBOX ONE
  • Injustice Ultimate on XBOX 360
  • King Of Fighters XIII on XBOX 360
  • BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma on Playstation 3 US Version
  • DiveKick on Playstation 3
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on Playstation 3
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee on Gamecube/Wii Hosted by Gaming Knights
  • Project M on Wii hosted by Gaming Knights
  • Capcom Vs Snk 2 Legacy Tournament on Playstation 2 Featuring BAS from Japan
Source: CEO Gaming

Last edited by a moderator:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Absurd there isn't brawl.
Jebailey hesitated, but he ultimately decided on P:M after attending a P:M tournament in his region and talking with the community. He did consider the idea, the guy is a bro.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I might just be able to attend this one, even though I would probably suck at the melee and PM tourney's :pichumelee:

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Given the region, I'm honestly surprised there isn't brawl. Things could get iffy if they sponsor PM and don't just host it. #Nintendo. Given that this is more of a community effort though it probably won't matter. Oh well melee is better to watch than either in my eyes so I don't care too much. Still, I'd chose that region's brawl over PM. To many random uncommon characters down south.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Brawl from a spectator's point of view is uh, not fun to watch. That's probably why it isn't supported.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
melee+pm only tournaments are dumb because it's basically melee+inferior mod and not enough people play pm exclusively. if brawl was there though pm would get more entrants since some brawl players do play pm. doesn't florida still has a healthy brawl scene? drop injustice for brawl imo

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
They can't, tarextherex. They are a Road to Evo stop, most likely, and as such, they have to run the EVO games. Though I do find it ironic that Mr. Wizard didn't make CEO run Melee last year when EVO had it, only to turn around and say that there are legal obstacles that is keeping Melee out of EVO, yet CEO is Melee (though through a third party).

NWRL

Smash Ace
And believe it or not Project M (inferior mod amirite) was added because of the extreme demand for it at CEO Winterfest. Sorry you're so salty about it.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
As I keep telling you on All is Brawl, tarextherex, although I still like and play Brawl, NOTHING you do or say will make people scrap Project M. So learn to get over it already.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Makes me wish they'd ban MK already. Brawl tournaments would be 1000 times better with him gone.
We did. Then everyone cried because the japanese came over, and he got unbanned.

Hope the community's happy now.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I'm surprised that surprises you, what with all the Brawl hate.
Really just from the Melee fanbase. Honestly, there are things that were streamlined, but it doesn't mean it is the worst game out there. I like it.
Brawl from a spectator's point of view is uh, not fun to watch. That's probably why it isn't supported.
I always compare checkers (melee) to chess (brawl).
Makes me wish they'd ban MK already. Brawl tournaments would be 1000 times better with him gone.
MK needs to stay around as a pillar of what Smash should and used to be (fast and cheap).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Really just from the Melee fanbase. Honestly, there are things that were streamlined, but it doesn't mean it is the worst game out there. I like it.

I always compare checkers (melee) to chess (brawl).

MK needs to stay around as a pillar of what Smash should and used to be (fast and cheap).
What? It'd be best if we cleaned up Brawl's metagame in case something happenes to 4.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
What? It'd be best if we cleaned up Brawl's metagame in case something happenes to 4.
Que? As far as I am concerned, the Melee metagame is actually the worst then is Brawl. I know I am going to get a lot of flack from Melee fans so as protection:

Nightmare™

Smash Ace
Most people do not enjoy or want to watch brawl simple as that. It's a horrible game to spectate (and play) imo. You guys should be happy melee and PM are there.. and lol at the dude asking for injustice to be dropped for brawl. Hilarious.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Most people do not enjoy or want to watch brawl simple as that. It's a horrible game to spectate (and play) imo. You guys should be happy melee and PM are there.. and lol at the dude asking for injustice to be dropped for brawl. Hilarious.
No. Most Melee fanboys, not most people. Brawl players can bite their tongue when their game gets shamed upon, but Melee/PM fans cannot show respect for the other? Man the petty fighting in this community is beyond me.

Nightmare™

Smash Ace
No. Most Melee fanboys, not most people. Brawl players can bite their tongue when their game gets shamed upon, but Melee/PM fans cannot show respect for the other? Man the petty fighting in this community is beyond me.
Dude I am from both smash community and fgc community. No one likes watching it even from the fgc community they know brawl is boring to watch and play.. they would way rather stick with melee and so would the majority of the smash community sooo yeah forget brawl.

Nightmare™

Smash Ace
Also thats the fgc not every game can survive. Just how it is. If a game is boring to watch it's pretty much done.. and especially if it looks campy and not interesting at all.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Also thats the fgc not every game can survive. Just how it is. If a game is boring to watch it's pretty much done.. and especially if it looks campy and not interesting at all.
There are numerous games I consider boring to watch, but do you know what I do? I don't complain about it, and just ignore it. I am also from the FGC. I have been part of the VF, KOF, and SC. Brawl is like chess as you cannot keep pounding your opponents with the same tactics in a rinse and repeat manner. Also, it depends if you like a defensive game over an offensive game. I myself have always preferred defense (in sports and RPGs and pretty much most of life).

NWRL

Smash Ace
There are numerous games I consider boring to watch, but do you know what I do? I don't complain about it, and just ignore it. I am also from the FGC. I have been part of the VF, KOF, and SC. Brawl is like chess as you cannot keep pounding your opponents with the same tactics in a rinse and repeat manner. Also, it depends if you like a defensive game over an offensive game. I myself have always preferred defense (in sports and RPGs and pretty much most of life).
You're just a single person though, he's not really lying, Brawl is just a game that's not well liked. Sucks that it's that way but it is, and we can't really do anything about it. Luckily there's P:M to keep Brawl around in some form.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
You're just a single person though, he's not really lying, Brawl is just a game that's not well liked. Sucks that it's that way but it is, and we can't really do anything about it. Luckily there's P:M to keep Brawl around in some form.
Never said he was lying >_>. Anyway, though I don't think PM is bad (it is the best Melee emulator around), it just does not need/deserve all this love. The Brawl community is alive and well, but for some reason they are being ignored or regarded as whelps or not a playing a true Smash game. There are enough people who watch and play Brawl that it is an insult that Brawl got cut, but PM made it.

Zone

Smash Champion
Pretty sure that guy is trolling, he tries to slide a melee jab saying it's fast but not as deep as brawl with his chess vs checkers comparison. Melee has more nuetral game tools, brawl just lands the nuetral game more often.

But then he turns around and says only melee fanboys attack brawl. As he attacks melee.

Whatever, popularity will win in the end, and if brawl was as popular as you say. It would've been chosen over project M.

NWRL

Smash Ace
^ This guy understands. Project M is more popular than Brawl, and it's catching up to Melee pretty quick, there's a reason it's in CEO.

Nightmare™

Smash Ace
That's cool and all but they care about what games are good from a viewers point and how they are doing community wise

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Pretty sure that guy is trolling, he tries to slide a melee jab saying it's fast but not as deep as brawl with his chess vs checkers comparison. Melee has more nuetral game tools (it has one tool, WD), brawl just lands the nuetral game more often.

But then he turns around and says only melee fanboys attack brawl. As he attacks melee.
Not really attacking, more of a retaliation as this is EXACTLY what the Brawl fans have been facing since the inception. I played Melee (wasn't that good), but I left feeling that the community was cohesive, but when Brawl came out, the immaturity and stubbornness left me flabbergasted. As a kid who played 64 to Melee to Brawl semi to competitive realized that adaptation is the best way to go. I mean 64 had the best combo game (KOF), Melee is the fastest (UMvC), then Brawl is a slower, thinking man's game (VF). Melee fans to me though just don't want to accept that there are people who like watching Brawl matches. I watch all three since I really like the varying play styles.

Zone

Smash Champion
Not really attacking, more of a retaliation as this is EXACTLY what the Brawl fans have been facing since the inception. I played Melee (wasn't that good), but I left feeling that the community was cohesive, but when Brawl came out, the immaturity and stubbornness left me flabbergasted. As a kid who played 64 to Melee to Brawl semi to competitive realized that adaptation is the best way to go. I mean 64 had the best combo game (KOF), Melee is the fastest (UMvC), then Brawl is a slower, thinking man's game (VF). Melee fans to me though just don't want to accept that there are people who like watching Brawl matches. I watch all three since I really like the varying play styles.

If you think wavedash is the only extra tool melee has over brawl in the nuetral game, you clearly don't know enough about melee to even comment on it.

Someone liking to watch brawl is of course subjective, but let's say a movie that isn't popular and sells only 100,000 tickets. Yes, 100,000 might like viewing that movie, but don't act like it's popular when there are movies bringing in millions of tickets.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Actually, L-canceling, CC, Light/heavy shields, foxtrot, DDing;etc. The neutral game in the Smash series has always been weak. CC and L-cancel are the only ones that outright seem advantageous while the other listed are character dependent really.

You know there are names for that thing: a cult status movie. In fact, Melee went through the darkness of being a cult for a while.

Zone

Smash Champion
You gave zero examples of how that stuff is weak.

Reason you can't is because it's not weak.

Jab me to protect yourself and I'll show you why crouch cancelling is good.

Maybe if brawl had something called pressure you'd understand the light shield utility use outside of just covering your exposed areas.

You're a troll. Done debating here. Trolls tend to use arguments the way you choose to use them.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
CC= crouch canceling. Apparently lost in translation. Light shield really benefits Yoshi as it can lead to a true parry (something the Smash games are missing). MK pressures like hell and so does ZSS. The bias you have is barely justifiable as there are many things in Brawl that people do not take advantage of. Only the top tiers in the respective games of Melee and Brawl provide pressure. Are you trying to argue that Bowser really provides a lot of pressure? Call me a troll (a seasoned troll if that is the case) since my play style preference differs from yourself.

I could go into explanation how L/H shields, foxtrot, and DDing are almost always insufficient in the long run of the battle.

Top Bottom