• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event CEO 2019 Discussion Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Puppeh's comeback on Samsora was wild. LOL
Really good character variety in the whole of the top 16! Most of the sets have been very exciting as well. The ledge play has been particularly tense.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Mod edit: Cinnpie's tweet not really appropriate here

Looks like Cinnpie's a bit too excited for WaDi... XD

In all seriousness, though, major props to WaDi and Puppeh both; seeing a R.O.B. and PT in top 8 in a tournament as big as CEO is both surreal and welcome at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya Shaya - tbh I think Proto had Leo’s number, again. He lost game 1 convincingly, yes, but he also commandingly won game 2. Essentially, he lost game 3 due to luck (an accidental footstool out of a airborne scramble) and a tech error (out of hitstun, expecting a tech situation and/or a higher angle).
He was able to capitalize on Leo in disadvantage amazingly well (off stage).
He brought back stocks after "SDs" but was generally at a large % deficit when they happened.

I see Marcina as having a generally good match up with Joker - one of the only characters in the game who can still play defense/neutral successfully during Arsene up time (bless dolphin slash).
The closest set we've seen with Leo's Joker?

I hope it was understood I was being facetious though ;_;

Watched Marss vs ESAM.
Happy to see that the combination of a rising aerial option, and that zoning with landing nair/zair (as opposed to approaching/overly aggressive ones) were reliable for walling him out. Zair's hitbox buff between games really helps with the shorties shielding, bless.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Glutonny :ultwario: 2-1 vs Wadi :ultrob:

From game 2 and on Gluto ran a train on Wadi

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
And Puppeh is out at 5th after losing to Marss 2-0 in an unfortuatlely rough fashion. Still ALL of the props to him for a truly incredible run this tournament taking sets of Nairo, Abadango, ESAM and Samsora. Hooefully we can see more of him in the future

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's kinda painful for me to watch a character who's so ludicrously safe and option rich in every game state as Joker. But seeing Leo do it is beautiful, nevertheless.

Haven't seen a player/character get away with short hop approaching rising aerials on block into mid-range dash grab at top level so much... ever? Maybe since the late 2000s in Melee?
The game with + on block aerials/options.

Like, that type of pressure ISN'T REAL. It cannot be real. What am I even watching?

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marss is so sick holy crap! Game 4 and 5 were so so tense and hype.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
CEO 2019

1st: MkLeo:ultjoker:
2nd: Marss:ultzss:
3rd: Ally:ultsnake::ultmario:
4th: Dabuz:ultolimar::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:
5th: Puppeh:ultpokemontrainerf:
5th: Glutonny:ultwario:
7th: Nairo:ultpalutena::ultzss:
7th: WaDi:ultrob:
9th: Wishes:ultjoker::ultpokemontrainerf:
9th: ESAM:ultpikachu:
9th: Samsora:ultpeach:
9th: Cosmos:ultinkling:
13th: ProtoBanham:ultlucina::ultinkling:
13th: Salem:ultsnake::ultshulk:
13th: Mr E:ultlucina:
13th: Prodigy:ultmario:
17th: Peabnut:ultmegaman:
17th: Light:ultfox:
17th: Sonido:ultsonic:
17th: Vinny G:ultsnake:
17th: Sparg0:ultcloud:
17th: MVD:ultsnake:
17th: MuteAce:ultpeach:
17th: Fatality:ultfalcon:
25th: Goblin:ultroy:
25th: Sinji:ultpacman:
25th: Captain L:ultpikachu:
25th: Abadango:ultinkling::ultpalutena::ultmetaknight:
25th: Epic_Gabriel:ultrob:
25th: Mr.R:ultsnake::ultchrom:
25th: 8BitMan:ultrob:
25th: Raito:ultduckhunt:
33rd: Ryuga:ultike:
33rd: Larry Lurr:ultfalco::ultwolf:
33rd: ScAtt:ultmegaman::ultsnake:
33rd: LingLing:ultpeach:
33rd: king_chris:ultzss::ultjoker:
33rd: ven:ultzelda:
33rd: CaptainZack:ultbayonetta1::ultpeach:
33rd: Wrath:ultjoker::ultsonic:
33rd: UtopianRay:ultpalutena:
33rd: SaltOne:ultcloud::ultroy:
33rd: Zurak:ultfox:
33rd: Umeki:ultdaisy:
33rd: Uncivil Ninja:ultshulk:
33rd: Dynax:ulticeclimbers:
33rd: Dark Wizzy:ultmario:
33rd: ZD:ultwolf::ultfox:
49th: Blacktwins:ultpichu:
49th: RFang:ultpichu:
49th: Zenyou:ultmario:
49th: Daybreak:ultwolf:
49th: Myran:ultolimar:
49th: ANTi:ultmario::ultlucario:
49th: Eon:ultfox:
49th: Frozen:ultpalutena:
49th: Tremendo Dude:ultshulk:
49th: Benny&TheJets:ultrob:
65th: Charliedaking:ultwolf:
65th: saj.:ultdaisy:
65th: Player-1:ultdiddy:
65th: Morpheus:ultmegaman:
65th: Donquavious:ultgreninja:
65th: Blank:ultchrom:
65th: Dath:ultrobin:
65th: Lui$:ultfox::ultdoc:
97th: Mr.II:ultrobinf:
97th: Magister:ultincineroar:
97th: cookieslayer:ultyounglink:
97th: Kiwi:ultpacman:
97th: Tachyon:ultpichu:
128th: Jayy:ultmetaknight::ultbayonetta:
128th: Promaelia:ultcorrin:
128th: Sol:ultlittlemac:
128th: Mr. Bones:ultbowser:
128th: SuperGirlKels:ultsonic::ultkirby:
128th: Jw:ultgreninja:
128th: iTheta:ultgunner::ultbrawler:

I might've missed a few in the last section. I know that Rideae drowned in pools at some point, but I am too lazy to find where he is.

That last two sets were insane. The Marss Falcon counterpick on Leo almost worked and he doesn't even main the character.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some notable placements in terms of characters:

:ultwario: We already know that Glutonny is a world-class player, being #2 in all of Europe with SSB4 Wario, and is currently the dominant #1 of Europe. However, this 5th placing today shows that Wario doesn't entirely need Tweek in order to place very high at a big event.

:ultsonic: Impressive run today, thanks to Sonido, getting 17th while beating players like Mr E, CaptainZack, and Mr.R, only losing to Glutonny and ESAM. The dude is advancing the Sonic metagame one impressive placing after another.

:ultcloud: Sparg0 momentum after that impressive run in WNF 2.6 continues into CEO 2019, getting 17th while beating Myran and Sinji, only losing to Marss and WaDi.

:ultrob: WaDi holds the fort of the R.O.B. metagame, placing 7th place with the character. Combined with 8BitMan's 25th placing here, this is a good weekend for R.O.B.

:ultpokemontrainer: Just as some players are beginning to doubt Pokemon Trainer's longevity in the metagame, Puppeh came out with the run of his lifetime. He defeated Nairo, Abadango, ESAM, and Samsora, as well as coming relatively close against MkLeo. I feel PkMn Trainer does relatively well against Joker, especially in the abusing Arsene up B department. Although Marss did kind of body Puppeh afterwards, still an impressive 5th placement at the end. Puppeh still has some room to grow, but that is the advantage of being a young player. Wishes also got a nice 9th place finish as well, but he used mostly Joker. Speaking of which......

:ultjoker: MkLeo is back and looking unstoppable. Protobanham, Puppeh, and Marss' Falcon did give him a run for his money, but MkLeo is in a whole another level. It should be noted that this event has summoned some of the best of other Joker players as well, namely Wishes with a 9th placement and Wrath with a 33rd placement. Granted that both uses other characters as well, but seems like MkLeo isn't entirely lonely in the decent placing Joker department.

:ultzss: Speaking of looking unstoppable, Marss body-bagged everyone that isn't Ally or MkLeo. Marss is starting to get more consistent success with ZSS in Ultimate more than Nairo did with ZSS towards the end of SSB4. ZSS potentially top tier? Some people has already said yes to that answer, but it is quite decisive.

:ultolimar: Olimar got a mixed bag today. Myran underperformed with a 49th placement. On the other hand, towards the end of his run, Dabuz began to gravitate towards him towards the end of his run, getting good wins and games with him.

:ultpichu: This was not a good tournament for Pichu whatsoever. The character had top Pichu talent such as RFang, Blacktwins, and Tachyon participate in the tournament, but none of them broke top 48. Granted that VoiD didn't participate at the tournament at all, but this is something notable that I noticed.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Im just going to imagine in my head that Marss vs Ally in LF was actullay Grand Finals. Because that was the most epic, intense set I have seen in this game so far.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
That was a fun tournament

If Evo's even a fraction of as hype... we'll be in for a good time

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
:ultzss: Speaking of looking unstoppable, Marss body-bagged everyone that isn't Ally or MkLeo. Marss is starting to get more consistent success with ZSS in Ultimate more than Nairo did with ZSS towards the end of SSB4. ZSS potentially top tier? Some people has already said yes to that answer, but it is quite decisive
Heck even Marss is getting more consistent success with ZSS now than he did in SSB4. Ummm yeah. Did someone tell Marss that ZSS got "nerfed" in this game, because he did not seem to get that message.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Ugh. The Bof3 format until Finals really robbed us of some potentially great gameplay.

They really gotta start capping entrants at majors.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Did Salem's Shulk take any games? I didn't catch much of the tournament, only him getting 2-0'd by ESAM, and according to the listings from this thread he was only Snake up to top 48. So that leaves Samsora and one other set for me to look for.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Grand finals was very hype.

MKLeo’s Joker just barely beat Marss Captain Falcon. Such close games.

Yet funnily enough some people are saying Joker wins too easily and needs nerfs.

Now that he’s won again, the smash devs are actually going to nerf him unfortunately... it’s why I was split between wanting him to win, yet not at the same time.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Just wait. I don't think they will do anything big to him but they might slow down the Arsene gauge by either nerfing downB, not having 20% after each stock or it will deplete faster. Last one would probably hurt him the most, but Nintendo is rather soft with nerfs this time around (except for Olimar's shield).

Good thing Zelda will probably remain untouched yet again or at least won't get nerfed. Only one appearance in Top 198 but a fairly good one.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Just wait. I don't think they will do anything big to him but they might slow down the Arsene gauge by either nerfing downB, not having 20% after each stock or it will deplete faster. Last one would probably hurt him the most, but Nintendo is rather soft with nerfs this time around (except for Olimar's shield).

Good thing Zelda will probably remain untouched yet again or at least won't get nerfed. Only one appearance in Top 198 but a fairly good one.
If they’re going to nerf him, just make the gauge deplete faster when he’s hit as Arsene. So punishing the player for playing bad when Arsene is out.

That alone should be enough.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have nothing against Leo but I was hoping someone would take him down. People need to figure out his Joker. Of course Tweek being absent didn't help.

Top Bottom