• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Celica hears Smash's Call!

Nahric

Smash Rookie
Well now we get our chance to have her in Smash again don't we?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have yet to play Echoes, but I am assuming that if the next FE game does not come, Celica or Alm could be the next frontrunner, assuming Sakurai doesn't mind more representation.

What unique things does Celica generally offer in the game that would make her more interesting like Robin's tactician powers or Corrin's dragon form? Someone more eye-opening than Chrom basically. I would like a brief, yet a sufficable description of her characterization if possible. I don't mind being spoiled if it has to go that far, I'm not that interested in playing FE anymore personally.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I have yet to play Echoes, but I am assuming that if the next FE game does not come, Celica or Alm could be the next frontrunner, assuming Sakurai doesn't mind more representation.
Was just about to say this.

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt Celica's inclusion, given the upcoming Fire Emblem for the Switch. If we do get a Fire Emblem newcomer, I'm willing to bet it will be someone from the Switch game--if nothing else, for promotion's sake.

What unique things does Celica generally offer in the game that would make her more interesting like Robin's tactician powers or Corrin's dragon form? I would like a brief, yet a sufficable description of her characterization if possible. I don't mind being spoiled if it has to go that far, I'm not that interested in playing FE anymore personally.
Magick works very differently in Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes. Unlike in most Fire Emblem games, where tomes break, in Fire Emblem Gaiden, the caster instead sacrifices HP for each cast. The amount of HP they lose depends on the level of the spell. And there are some spells that will absorb enemy HP.

I one moveset I wrote, Celica uses magick for her specials, just like Robin. However, unlike Robin, whom throws away his tomes, Celica instead takes damage with each cast. Once again, the damage varies depending on the spell's power. And she has one special that can heal damage.

So in a nutshell, Celica would not just be another plain sword user. Despite this, however, I don't see her getting in before the hero of Fire Emblem Switch. Like Micaiah, she just had bad timing.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So Celica is basically an FE Pichu I guess. Not sure if that sounds like a gameplay style I would have fun with, unless the reward is powerful damage, that it outweighs the risks of self-infliction. Thank you for the specification. :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

What unique things does Celica generally offer in the game that would make her more interesting like Robin's tactician powers or Corrin's dragon form? Someone more eye-opening than Chrom basically. I would like a brief, yet a sufficable description of her characterization if possible. I don't mind being spoiled if it has to go that far, I'm not that interested in playing FE anymore personally.
Most of that is covered in my Moveset for her on the previous page, actually. :p

Basically, magic works much differently in Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. Instead of utilizing a tome to cast spells, magic users can cast on their own, but take recoil damage as a result of not having a conduit. The higher power the spell is, the more recoil damage you take. A simple Fire spell costs one health, while the much more devastating Ragnarok does well over ten damage to the user.

Celica herself can utilize Fire, Excalibur (wind magic with high critical hit odds), Seraphim (holy light magic that's good against Terrors, like the traditional Blessed weapons), Recover (to heal her teammates), and Ragnarok (when you really want something dead). Additionally, her unique sword, the Beloved Zofia, gives her access to Ragnarok Omega, which is exclusive to her. That's basically a nuke, but Celica herself takes hefty damage.

As for Celica herself, she's one of my favorite characters in the series. She's dutybound as Zofia's Princess, supportive of her friends, but is also self-sacrificial to a fault, whether it's hiding her own feelings to not worry others, or
sacrificing her soul to Duma when she had no other alternative
. She's also wholly devoted to Mila, the Earth Mother and patron dragon goddess of Valentia.

In Smash, her Moveset would mostly focus on her use of spells, though her forward smash, jab, and side tilt would likely use her Beloved Zofia for offense if my Moveset was anything to go by. Her spells would be more powerful the more they're charged, but also cause more recoil damage to her. Basically, an improved version of Pichu's poorly-executed concept. It also fits her character to a tee since self-sacrifice for the greater good is a huge part of her character.

As far as her odds, I'm slightly more optimistic. FE16 may not have been in development long enough for Sakurai to get the heads up, if what he said about Robin is anything to go by. Robin almost missed the boat, and would have had Awakening not released when it did. Meanwhile SoV had been in development since 2015, so while not a guarantee, I don't think she completely missed her chance.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess the best-case scenario for Celica is to be a last-minute semi-clone of Robin I suppose, when you put it that way.
That...honestly wouldn't fit her at all. Not only is their style of swordplay completely different, but Celica literally can't be a Robin clone because she doesn't use tomes. It'd be like making Ike a Marth clone.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to make a longer input for Celica, but I'm afraid I'm lacking the time right now...

However, I will drop in to say that Celica has my support for a new FE rep (if it gets one). Count me in! :)

Nahric

Smash Rookie
Most of that is covered in my Moveset for her on the previous page, actually. :p

Basically, magic works much differently in Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. Instead of utilizing a tome to cast spells, magic users can cast on their own, but take recoil damage as a result of not having a conduit. The higher power the spell is, the more recoil damage you take. A simple Fire spell costs one health, while the much more devastating Ragnarok does well over ten damage to the user.

Celica herself can utilize Fire, Excalibur (wind magic with high critical hit odds), Seraphim (holy light magic that's good against Terrors, like the traditional Blessed weapons), Recover (to heal her teammates), and Ragnarok (when you really want something dead). Additionally, her unique sword, the Beloved Zofia, gives her access to Ragnarok Omega, which is exclusive to her. That's basically a nuke, but Celica herself takes hefty damage.

As for Celica herself, she's one of my favorite characters in the series. She's dutybound as Zofia's Princess, supportive of her friends, but is also self-sacrificial to a fault, whether it's hiding her own feelings to not worry others, or
sacrificing her soul to Duma when she had no other alternative
. She's also wholly devoted to Mila, the Earth Mother and patron dragon goddess of Valentia.

In Smash, her Moveset would mostly focus on her use of spells, though her forward smash, jab, and side tilt would likely use her Beloved Zofia for offense if my Moveset was anything to go by. Her spells would be more powerful the more they're charged, but also cause more recoil damage to her. Basically, an improved version of Pichu's poorly-executed concept. It also fits her character to a tee since self-sacrifice for the greater good is a huge part of her character.

As far as her odds, I'm slightly more optimistic. FE16 may not have been in development long enough for Sakurai to get the heads up, if what he said about Robin is anything to go by. Robin almost missed the boat, and would have had Awakening not released when it did. Meanwhile SoV had been in development since 2015, so while not a guarantee, I don't think she completely missed her chance.
If I had to offer a criticism to your move set design, it would be that I think you've under powered Her Down Special. I think a much better design would be that it heals all damage that she has done to herself via magic usage (while having a second or two interruptible cast time)

If you execute a few decent length combo with her as describe. I could imagine racking some decent damage up on yourself. If an enemy were to turn things around you could be at a dangerous percent do to your own aggression. This would also let you use some critical thinking about if you want to go for a ledge guard or if you want to play it safe and undo you self harm and fight to get them off again.

Thats just my 2¢, your idea for Mila's turnwheel just seemed too gimmicky and out of place because of the limited usage per stock.

Troykv

Smash Master
I guess the best-case scenario for Celica is to be a last-minute semi-clone of Robin I suppose, when you put it that way.
That...honestly wouldn't fit her at all. Not only is their style of swordplay completely different, but Celica literally can't be a Robin clone because she doesn't use tomes. It'd be like making Ike a Marth clone.
I guess he specific "semi-clone" because some mechanics would change (like removing the weapon break for a self-damage gimmick if you start abusing moves) and some moves would be changed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to offer a criticism to your move set design, it would be that I think you've under powered Her Down Special. I think a much better design would be that it heals all damage that she has done to herself via magic usage (while having a second or two interruptible cast time)

If you execute a few decent length combo with her as describe. I could imagine racking some decent damage up on yourself. If an enemy were to turn things around you could be at a dangerous percent do to your own aggression. This would also let you use some critical thinking about if you want to go for a ledge guard or if you want to play it safe and undo you self harm and fight to get them off again.

Thats just my 2¢, your idea for Mila's turnwheel just seemed too gimmicky and out of place because of the limited usage per stock.
It's funny you mentioned that. I shared it on reddit yesterday and got a similar comment, haha. Basically when I originally made the move people said it was too overpowered so I kept adding restrictions until it seemed okay...and I think I overdid it. :p

The original version didn't have the inability to be performed in the air or the limited usage. Honestly I'm just gonna revert it to that, i think. Your idea does sound really neat though!

Last edited:

Nahric

Smash Rookie
It's funny you mentioned that. I shared it on reddit yesterday and got a similar comment, haha. Basically when I originally made the move people said it was too overpowered so I kept adding restrictions until it seemed okay...and I think I overdid it. :p

The original version didn't have the inability to be performed in the air or the limited usage. Honestly I'm just gonna revert it to that, i think. Your idea does sound really neat though!
You've good ideas, dont let people who dont get good and fun design get in the way. Characters need to have strengths and strong points, counter play to them will lie in the areas that they don't excel at without the need for crippling built-in flaws. People will realize that one day hopefully.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I researched a bit of gameplay of Fire Emblem: Echoes. I ended up becoming more interested in playing the games than I initially expected, especially with Echoes apparently focusing more on character exploration. I initially stopped playing FE: Fates a long time ago because I thought strategy games were not my cup of tea, but maybe Echoes will be for me when the reward of playing is character insight.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think Celica is THE Fire Emblem character for Smash 5. Especially how Fates already has Corrin and I really don't want a rep from a game that isn't even out yet. Plus Celica quickly became my fave FE character overall so I really support her!
Moveset wise, I see her as some kind of really Luigified Robin (her Down B could be Seraphim instead of Nosferatu), that is more nimble and instead of the limited uses mechanic, she could pull from Echoes and have unlimited use, but with recoil damage. To balance her I guess they could make her attacks really strong? That's the only thing I can think of

Troykv

Smash Master
How come Celica is more popular than Alm?

More unique design, characterisation that stands out more, easy-to-make unique Smash mechanic with the recoil magic, stuff like that.
Celica vs. Alm is basically Robin vs. Chrom.
Imagine a Celica trailer with Twilight of the Gods playing in the background. :eek:
Yeah, Celica already has the advantage of previous game favouring the more original of a FE pair... even if in Fire Emblem Echoes sometimes Celica feels like the lesser lord compared to Alm's dickriding in-universe.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately as much as I love echoes, the chances of getting any sort of Echoes representation with Alm or Celica in smash is pretty slim. With FE switch on its way shortly and the fact Sakurai this time around most likely won't want an over abundance of FE characters like before. I hope I'm wrong however. Also Echoes sold poorly compared to awakening and fates.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfortunately as much as I love echoes, the chances of getting any sort of Echoes representation with Alm or Celica in smash is pretty slim. With FE switch on its way shortly and the fact Sakurai this time around most likely won't want an over abundance of FE characters like before. I hope I'm wrong however. Also Echoes sold poorly compared to awakening and fates.
Poorly isn't really the right word, IMO. Nintendo considered it a financial success and Intellgent Systems is still doing things with it (there's a new art book for it coming this year, for example), which I don't think they'd do if it was a flop or something. That, and for an unconventional Fire Emblem game releasing on the 3DS in a post-Switch world, with Awakening and Fates already on the system, honestly I'm glad it did as well as it did. It had a lot going against it and was still deemed a success.

That and honestly I think FE 16 came too late to even be a Greninja situation. Considering the roster was likely decided sometime in 2016, Celica herself seems more like a Greninja situation, especially since SoV had been in development since 2015.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
Poorly isn't really the right word, IMO. Nintendo considered it a financial success and Intellgent Systems is still doing things with it (there's a new art book for it coming this year, for example), which I don't think they'd do if it was a flop or something. That, and for an unconventional Fire Emblem game releasing on the 3DS in a post-Switch world, with Awakening and Fates already on the system, honestly I'm glad it did as well as it did. It had a lot going against it and was still deemed a success.

That and honestly I think FE 16 came too late to even be a Greninja situation. Considering the roster was likely decided sometime in 2016, Celica herself seems more like a Greninja situation, especially since SoV had been in development since 2015.
You're right. perhaps poorly was an incorrect choice of words. It just sold worse compared to them. We'll see though. I hope they do get in (especially Celica).

Last edited:

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
In any case it'll be interesting to see how they implement Celica (or alm's) moveset if they do get in. I can Imagine she'll play similarly like Marth but utilize projectiles and maybe even be able to heal herself using her cleric abilities.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am really enjoying Fire Emblem Echoes so far, being pretty engaged by the characters and narrative, even though the plot feels a bit typical. Honestly, I think I found the reason why I quit Fates a long time ago, and that was of my own self-doing. I started Fire Emblem Fates putting the difficulty on hard classic on Conquest 2 years ago, thinking more about bragging rights than actually considering how my enjoyment of the game would be affected overall.

Hard Classic Conquest lowered my enjoyment immensely because of pressure and time it took for me to actually beat one chapter. At the least, I put Echoes on Normal Classic Difficulty, and now I am hooked to FE again. I am hoping to see how good of a character Celica is.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You'll enjoy the game bro. Am sure of it. Echoes was my first Fire Emblem game on the 3DS, afterwards I got Fates Conquest as well. But quickly purchased both Birthright and Revelation afterwards cause I didn't quite feel the story of Conquest honestly. Brought Awakening close afterwards. Still gotta finish both Awakening and Revelation honestly. But great games all the same.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Celica seems more likely then Alm if they were going to go with them simply because Celica seems to be the the more popular of the two and probably has a bit more to have her be different from the other Fire Emblems characters compared to Alm.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would like a source of Celica’s popularity in the FE series, just to make sure.
The second Choose Your Legends poll for Heroes had her as the most popular female character choice (Lyn and Lucina were excluded since they won the first time).

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The second Choose Your Legends poll for Heroes had her as the most popular female character choice (Lyn and Lucina were excluded since they won the first time).
I'm assuming it comes from this right?

https://serenesforest.net/2018/02/01/heroes-choose-your-legends-round-2-results/

I see. I wonder if Sakurai would consider that popularity if he chose to add Celica. Given the poll's results date, it would be too late to factor it in? Any notable things regarding Celica's fanbase from 2017 maybe?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm assuming it comes from this right?

https://serenesforest.net/2018/02/01/heroes-choose-your-legends-round-2-results/

I see. I wonder if Sakurai would consider that popularity if he chose to add Celica. Given the poll's results date, it would be too late to factor it in? Any notable things regarding Celica's fanbase from 2017 maybe?
The best source we'd have in 2017 would be going by the orb sales on her banner in Heroes. But at the same time that's not data the public would have access to.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am really enjoying FE:Echoes thus far, my favorite challenge in the game so far has to be the Dragon that requires the use of Seraphim magic. I ended up using the illusion soldiers from Genny to beat the dragon bit by bit instead, with the archer pulling the final blow. Extremely fun fight that rewards creativity. Celica is an ok character so far though, I kinda wanna see her do something out of the ordinary. Maybe fan-service or something wacky. I kinda like that the story has avoided fan-service thus far and it kept the narrative pretty interesting. The fan-service stuff is probably DLC.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do people here support Alm as well? I know he's not that popular around here, but I really think he's a great character honestly. His moveset potential is not as unique as Celica's, but he translates into Smash really, really well! Just look at the way he moves in the battle cutscenes. Could be used for at least 70% of his basic moveset.

Just putting it out here, cause, y'know both characters hail from the same game and all.

Been exclusively playing Fates as of late, but Echoes is my favorite game of the 3DS Fire Emblems. Echoes convinced me to go buy both Awakening and Fates honestly. As both games wheren't AS appealing to me innitially because of the new battle mechanics. Felt kinda alientated by them at first. However, playing them in a reverse order REALLY helped me embrace the new style.

Really hope there'll be more Fire Emblem Echoes titles in the future. Am pretty sure they wanna remake FE4 and FE5 as well. KINDA hoping they also won't skip over FE3 cause we never got the full game out in the West cause FE12 was Japan-only. Am keeping my fingers crossed for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do people here support Alm as well? I know he's not that popular around here, but I really think he's a great character honestly. His moveset potential is not as unique as Celica's, but he translates into Smash really, really well! Just look at the way he moves in the battle cutscenes. Could be used for at least 70% of his basic moveset.

Just putting it out here, cause, y'know both characters hail from the same game and all.

Been exclusively playing Fates as of late, but Echoes is my favorite game of the 3DS Fire Emblems. Echoes convinced me to go buy both Awakening and Fates honestly. As both games wheren't AS appealing to me innitially because of the new battle mechanics. Felt kinda alientated by them at first. However, playing them in a reverse order REALLY helped me embrace the new style.

Really hope there'll be more Fire Emblem Echoes titles in the future. Am pretty sure they wanna remake FE4 and FE5 as well. KINDA hoping they also won't skip over FE3 cause we never got the full game out in the West cause FE12 was Japan-only. Am keeping my fingers crossed for it.
While everyone's hoping for a localization for Mother 3, here I am hoping for one for New Mystery. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Could Celica be the Greninja of Smash Switch in the sense that there could be a placeholder for a FE Echoes character similar to Pokemon X and Y in Smash 4?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While everyone's hoping for a localization for Mother 3, here I am hoping for one for New Mystery. :p
Well, truth to be told, both are pipedreams for me! But I do think it's a good possibility that it could happen.

Marth is starting to get a little behind in character development compared to the rest of the main characters of Fire Emblem. Was this also a reason he was included in Warriors? I think it could be.

However, any Echoes remake would be welcome with me. Kinda anxious for FE4 however, as the concept of parent-children units was really adding imbalance to Awakening and Fates and it already was hilariously broken in OG FE4, but yeah FE4 Echoes would also be more than welcome. I do prefer a remake for FE3 first however.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys, Celica's up next in Rate Their Chances. Be sure to head over and give her a high want score. :p

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
At least she'd have the chance to be the first FE female to not be a an alternate for a guy, and as far as newer FE designs go she's far from the biggest 'waifu bait' that has infested the latest games. But please, give us new classes. We already have Robin for the 'red mage' concept. There's so many classes and weapon types in FE that we just don't have yet.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least she'd have the chance to be the first FE female to not be a an alternate for a guy, and as far as newer FE designs go she's far from the biggest 'waifu bait' that has infested the latest games. But please, give us new classes. We already have Robin for the 'red mage' concept. There's so many classes and weapon types in FE that we just don't have yet.
Even then I think she definitely sets herself apart compared to Robin. Robin only uses his tomes in five of his attacks, while I think Celica would utilize her spells for the majority of her moves, since she's not weighed down by tomes.

Kinda like how Marth and Ike are completely different despite being sword locked. I'd hate to see magic in Smash be used only by Robin when he barely even uses it.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Even then I think she definitely sets herself apart compared to Robin. Robin only uses his tomes in five of his attacks, while I think Celica would utilize her spells for the majority of her moves, since she's not weighed down by tomes.

Kinda like how Marth and Ike are completely different despite being sword locked. I'd hate to see magic in Smash be used only by Robin when he barely even uses it.
I don't have an issue with more magic, and obviously there's plenty of ways for things to be done even if they have similar elements. I'm mostly just hoping for 'very different'. There's still no axes, there's kinda a lance user in Corrin but that's mostly just smashes and a special. There's no thieves, and no 'pure magic' either.

I'm not really so against her, in another thread I listed her among possible options for a new FE character that I wouldn't mind so much, I guess the ones I'd prefer.

Top Bottom