• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CCSC Power Rankings - MOVED

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Great. Now, how about hearing from Joel, " =] " and nYo?
Whenever Randall says something, he gets flamed. So I can see why he might be less willing to post here, and risk damaging his intelligence from reading the replies.
Joel is on holidays, nyo is dead and =] is a fictional characature

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
according to the list, Levi. lol. but i'm just going by the first post.
Fudge Joel and his bad decisions and timing. i'm bitter about my signature.
nYo should revive himself, fricking steal a life from his partner or something. No johns. he's a panelist.

MAYBE I SHOULD BE A PANELIST.

I played.. most people who went to CT3. I played lots of friendlies with yall instead of playing with mike, carl, and shawn, who i knew i'd play later.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL SO OUTGOING. DON'T CLASH. YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN OKAY. ...

WHAT? YOU THINK I SHOULD CALM DOWN? I AMMM CALM. STFU NOOB KTHXBAI THATS WHY I BEAT YOU WITH PIKACHU [PROBABLY].

YOUR FOX IS GARBAGE BY THE WAY, IF YOU AREN'T CARL AND YOU LIVE IN ALBERTA.

*smirk.*

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
PIKACHU AVATARS

but seriously there's no need to get so worked up about changing them right before a tournament. like, it's a week away...

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
It's not about changing them.

It's the way you guys are going about making your "points". Some of this stuff is just absurd. Like.. everyone is disagreeing with everyone. It's unnerving. and you guys seem to have "cliques" that you stay loyal to. That's not how it works, boys. Again, the panelists should REALLY reconsider making a 25 person PR.

That borders stupidity.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
I almost didn't want to read the rest of your list because it is ridiculously flawed. My problem with you posting that is that you're off on a tangent. Specifically it is said that your list is your own thing, ignoring the panel's set criteria. That is not what this thread is for.
Of course it's ridiculously flawed. That's why I want opinions and actual discussion. This discussion right now is better then the spamfest that was happening before, amiright?

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
I almost didn't want to read the rest of your list because it is ridiculously flawed. My problem with you posting that is that you're off on a tangent. Specifically it is said that your list is your own thing, ignoring the panel's set criteria.That is not what this thread is for.
Of course it's ridiculously flawed. That's why I want opinions and actual discussion. This discussion right now is better then the spamfest that was happening before, amiright?
'Fraid not. The opinions and discussion coming from this thread are not productive through posts like this. The criteria, mission statement, and panelists, are all there so that we can build an informed ranking of who the top players in the region are, and use that to help in building/strengthening the competitive smash scene here. By not following said criteria you are creating off topic discussion and wasting space in the thread as much as someone posting "I am teh 1337zor. U R all nubs." There were a couple of good points you made (which I already commented on), but don't overshadow them with ignorance to what this thread is about.

Sidenote 1: Why the hell is someone from BC one of the most useful and informed people on this thread?

Sidenote 2: Randall, this thread was started by you, and it needs some of your love and guidance to come to fruition.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Sidenote: Why the hell is someone from BC one of the most useful and informed people on this thread?
It's because I play Fox and Pikachu.

Either that, or it's because almost not very many people on this thread are very useful or informed.

Thank you for that post, by the way.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
I could make a big epic randall post trying to defend myself, everything and all that I said, but how about I just DELETE MY LIST, we all gtfo with the parker hate because it's REALLY not necessary, get some discussion going, and look forward to Brawl? That's honestly all I wanted with that post, I didn't expect this.

GTFO WITH THIS DRAMA SHIZ

Also, Brad and Fox Machine and Levi and Manuel and Randall now have Ken status. Sid too. I love your Pikachu, and low tiers. Never forget that. Didn't mean to insult anyone at all.

Now can we go and play some 4 stock FFA on Hyrule with items on? =]

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I have with supporting the movement towards an Alberta only ranking is that it discourages competition with outside provinces by means of exclusion. BC has a very strong smash community, as does Alberta. Unless there is a strong leader to boost the competition level in Sask. and Manitoba, there will be little progress in terms of raising the bar for skill. Distance seems to be the inhibiting factor here, as regular play against Sask. and Manitoba smashers is near impossible to achieve. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those provinces don't have a solid, organized smash community. By making this a central Canada ranking, we could possibly be jumpstarting their own communities.

So to summarize:

For now, we should keep this ranking as Central Canada, but perhaps in the future, we should consider separating into an Alberta ranking.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Unless there is a strong leader to boost the competition level in Sask. and Manitoba, there will be little progress in terms of raising the bar for skill. Distance seems to be the inhibiting factor here, as regular play against Sask. and Manitoba smashers is near impossible to achieve. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those provinces don't have a solid, organized smash community.
Joel is on holidays, nyo is dead and =] is a fictional characature
So yeah, I haven't seen or heard anything from this nyo guy. Maybe it's because he's too busy rallying the smash community over in Winnipeg... or maybe there is an issue with him as the liason to Manitoba. Perhaps someone can correct me?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
*stomp, stomp*

Sidenote 2: Randall, this thread was started by you, and it needs some of your love and guidance to come to fruition.
Well, it's now gotten to the point where people are beginning to take things personally, so it's high time I make some sort of comment, but I can't guarantee how much it will help in the ways of fruition.

I posted this and sat back to watch it ferment for a few days. It is with resigned amusement that I was able to observe how it stewed for a half a day and then everyone was okay with the list. Then, the next day there were a few problems. Then there were a few more. Now, a week and a bit down the road, it's a full-blown controversy.

For a second there, I thought it was all going to go smoothly, but coming into this thread has been nothing but a headache for me. I appreciate that something that I post could incite such a reaction, but I was hoping that of all my "too long to read" threads, this one would actually get read. Drifting away from the criteria was a slippery slope, and then proposing to drop Saskatchewan and Manitoba right out of the running is completely counter-productive to everything I've been trying to accomplish. There are a few things that are being overlooked:

• I had an elaborate discussion with a few different Winnipeg players in an attempt to get the networking going over there. nYo is actually not a panelist for these power rankings any longer as he is primarily a tournament director, not so much a competitive smasher; that role is more likely to go to Rex, but he's proven difficult to get ahold of during the summer. Which is fine.
  • This is the first draft of the list and this list AND the criteria were approved by the panelists (excepting nYo) as well as a few other smashers from all THREE Central Canada provinces BEFORE I even posted it. What gives these panelists the right to decide? Well, I do, because it wouldn't get done otherwise. This is the first draft or there would be no list at all.
  • Finally, yes, I know that there are problems with the list, but I had no way of knowing that until I could get a feel for the community's reaction. It was hard enough to come up with something that didn't overlook certain players and I didn't even succeed on that front (sorry Beeble, you're like a shoe-in for draft #2).

And hey, that's another thing, guess what? There's gonna be a second draft! O. M. G. What. A. Concept. (Sorry to be so glib, but impatience and selfishness frustrates me more than anything.)

But there a few things that I must put to rest:

• This is a Central Canada Smash Circuit Power Rankings list. Three provinces: Alberta, Saskatchewa, Manitoba.
  • Therefore, this will be a Top 25 list.

Sid! Thank you for addressing my first point!

The only problem I have with supporting the movement towards an Alberta only ranking is that it discourages competition with outside provinces by means of exclusion. BC has a very strong smash community, as does Alberta. Unless there is a strong leader to boost the competition level in Sask. and Manitoba, there will be little progress in terms of raising the bar for skill. Distance seems to be the inhibiting factor here, as regular play against Sask. and Manitoba smashers is near impossible to achieve. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those provinces don't have a solid, organized smash community. By making this a central Canada ranking, we could possibly be jumpstarting their own communities.
Your last sentence is particularly potent and you've hit the nail on the head. The reason that I'm doing all of this to spread a global interest in the game. There is no doubt in my mind that it would be easier to do a strictly provincial power rankings, but I'm thinking ahead. Every growing special interest community that I have been a part of suffers extreme problems when the interest gets too big for the infrastructure to support. When you begin to draw in more and more people, you have to have the blocks in place to support them and make them feel welcome in the community.

By doing all of this interprovincial networking, I'm building a "community template" that is far larger than it needs to be....for now. There is going to be an inevitable influx of Brawl players and there will be times in a few years when Brawl will be at the height of its popularity. That could mean a lot of things and we don't have any way of really foreseeing how popular the competitive game will be. However, it's better to think big and have low interest than to completely buckle under way too many people. If we don't have the blocks in place for A LOT of competitive smashers for Brawl, people won't even try and get involved. On the other hand, if the structure is set up like I hope it will be by December, we could conceivably have three bi-weeklies each in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and a monthly tournament with 80 smashers. You just never know. But it's not going to happen if we're not ready for it.

For further discussion: Please, when you are reading this discussion, read the posts and assume that the speaker means well and is honestly trying to improve the list, whether they be right or wrong. This is not a place for any personal attacks, nor is it a place to explain in abrasive detail how much somebody sucks compare to somebody else. The root of ALL ******** flame wars on the internet comes down to one of two things: people taking things personally when it really wasn't meant that way, or some dillhole intentionally insulting someone to incite that very same reaction. I can only hope that we have none of the latter in this thread.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
okay so I have a question. Since I cant make it to Cast3, am I gonna be booted down in the list? >_>
If I'm not mistaken, people can only be moved up the list (and thus others are moved down, not because of poor performance or lack of attendance as is the case here). I couldn't find it in the mission statement but I recall hearing that and am 99% sure that's how it works.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
That's correct, so long as you don't drop off the smash radar completely and retire, your position can only go up.

In fact, I suspect you might even go up once I chat with Carl and company up in Red Deer.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Chad might give you a ride. Levi might as well.The P-ImP's are going to Edmonton after.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I said nothing of value, ever, never use my word.

but I think Levi's going with chad, as am I. dunno how much room he has or his willingness to give you a ride, you can talk to him.

aswell, I heard gary and jeremy were going, dont know how they are getting there.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
This is kinda the wrong thread to be talking about it...

Chad's vehicle has Himself, Myself, Riley, Gary, Jeremy, Brad... if there Isn't enough room we throw brad out the window. The other seats are for equipment if I'm not mistaken. Allan [I think]will have to talk to like... Randall for a carpool, or perhaps start his own one with other people

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
dunno how much room he has or his willingness to give you a ride, you can talk to him.
There is no lack of willingness to drive people, don't worry.

There is lack, however, of space.

If you're desperate and don't mind spending the entire trip with a TV on your lap, we might be able to shoehorn you in... but I don't want to promise anything.

I would try and contact the Pro-Impact crew and see what their situation is... it might be a lot better than mine.

And yes... the is exactly the wrong thread for this conversation.

On topic:

I think the large number of people on the list is a good thing. Sure, it's difficult and nearly meaningless to try and rank people who have never played each other on such a large list, but simply being on the list is highly encouraging and motivation to improve.
Sure, it's a larger grey area in the lower rankings, but simply knowing who's on the radar is very helpful.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
A list that Sid & I compiled waiting for the bus.

1. Carl
2. Mike
3. Shwn
4. Fastfox
5. Steve
6. Fox Machine
7. SuPeRbOoM (sorry if I messed up the caps)
8. Lemonlau
9. Tyson
10. M
11. xspiritflare
12. =]
13. MagnuM
14. DJT
15. Henry
16. Beeble
17. MICH
18. BackItch
19. Kithkin
20. RJM
21. Riley
22. Alphicans

$2.50 - Victor
666 - Waitress @ BPs

This is only we have played between the two of us. Interpret as you will.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
We aren't even "panelists," this is just our interpretation of the power rankings. That's how it works right? People put their opinions out there for the panelists to compile and amalgamate into THE LIST. :p

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
So when do these life altering CCSC Power Rankings (TM) come out so I can decide whether I should pay my tuition or just shoot myself?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i personally dont really like these power rankings.

but w/e, im probably not gonna look at this often anyway.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Umm, I think it's basically a group decision right now. Me and Carl have already talked about the first six or so people on the current list, but we've yet to determine people who are out of the province and those who've attended Carl's tournament but aren't yet on the list.

However I think individual lists would be a good idea, too. Just for a solid understanding of someone elses ideas.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
You should become a BC panelist.

Or something. Out of state wouldn't work, and right now the panelists are pretty much the founding fathers of the Central Canada thread.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Yes, that makes sense. I've had quite a few people vouch for me, but they don't really seem to care. Oh well. The founding fathers thing makes sense too, that's a good panel. I just want the inside information before the PR gets posted, lol. :chuckle:

lol, I use my 1500th on this thread! Vive le smash Albertan!

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
If they do, we'll have a crew battle. 5v5, BC vs AB feat Manli.

BC: John, Ryab, Eric, Tiep, Adam.
AB: Mike, Carl, Shawn, Fastfox, Manli

Send me in first. I'll destroy john and eric, Shawn can take out Ryab, Mike can Falcon Tiep's Samus, and you can Fox your lover Adam Brown.

Carl can be our cheerleader.

Top Bottom