• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin- get it now!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Published by: Konami
Developed by: Konami
Genre: Action Adventure
Number of Players: 1

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin gives the player control of two different characters. The pair – vampire hunter Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Orlean, a young girl with magical abilities – must work to thwart a plan to resurrect Dracula's Castle and unleash a reign of evil upon the unsuspecting world, all within a new World War II setting.

The new setting captures the chaos and suffering the era, with thousands of lost souls wandering the world in search of salvation. Desperate to escape the limbo within their exist, the misguided spirits seek to rebuild Dracula's Castle from its ruins, and are lead by a pair of evil Vampire sisters out to resurrect their master's home for their own nefarious plans. Thrown together, Jonathan and Charlotte must combine their unusual skill sets to defeat the plans and restore harmony.

Retaining the same 2D platform realms for which the series is famed, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin uses a side-on view to oversee the scrolling stages. Players can switch freely between Jonathan and Charlotte as they progress through the levels, using their skills when appropriate. In addition to Jonathan's weapon expertise and Charlotte's spell-casting, both characters can utilise all-new 'Summon' attacks to raise demons to assist them against the Vampire sisters' army. Similarly, more conventional weapons can also be found on route, and saved for use against the hardier monsters that await in the shadows.

Featuring all-new locations and a cast of over 100 different adversaries, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin marks a welcome return to the DS for the series.

if images dont work on ur browser, go here:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/774/774649/imgs_1.html

Videos:
E3 trailer- http://media.ds.ign.com/media/774/774649/vids_1.html

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yea, this has been out for a while.

and i think they said something about wifi or at least some kind of multiplayer.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Even with MPH, MKDS, Meteos, and ACWW, Dawn of Sorrows is still my favorite DS game yet; I would love for this to replace it. I hope the two person system works better than Julius mode in DoS, though; it felt slightly thrown together compared to the rest of the games perfection.

Nite

Smash Champion
I know they won't fail me. All of the Castlevania's I have played were awesome. I still love the side scrollers the best though. I went and bought the double pack for the GBA the other day so I can play HoD again. You gotta love the AoS too, DoS was a great prequel as well. I still think that Circle of the Moon was the best one on GBA yet, so hopefully this DS title can top it.

Why is it releasing so motherf***ing late?

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Wow. this game is really fun. for the first half hour I was thinking Man, this is kinda easy, but maybe its just for beggininers. and it is, as it gets quite harder past the
soup
boss.

Also the free gift items that came with it, if you preordered, RULE.

Peaches

Smash Lord
OH SH-- I forgot to pick up my preorder, hopefully they'll still have bonus items left over.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Actually Ender, I thought that the first boss was really tough, though the next two (the
rampaging bull
and
soup
boss) were pretty easy. But all in all, this game is pretty entertaining. I'm not convinced that the whole 2-character thing works out, but it seems alright so far. I still think that Aria of Sorrow is the best handheld Castlevania out there, though.

Unfortunately, I can't open my preorder bonus because I'm planning on giving it as a Christmas present to my older brother, who's a Castlevania freak. It's driving me nuts, because I really want to see the artbook and the CD and whatever else is in there. Meh.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
OH SNAP, I actually forgot about this game. I LOVE Castlevania: I've beaten all of them (I think).

Question: Is this Castlevania better than the Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow Series? It would be great to play something better than Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
i really want to try it...
btw, i read a small article about it in a gaming magazine (forgot which one) and it showed a boss you play after you beat the game...looked like it had a hangover:)

Peaches

Smash Lord
Yes, I gots my pre order package. It's really nice.

Haven't actually played the game though.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
NJzFinest said:
Question: Is this Castlevania better than the Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow Series? It would be great to play something better than Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.
In some ways, this game is way better than Dawn of Sorrow. I personally like the music more. Whips are back. Combat is better.

On the other hand, there aren't any souls. If you liked souls, you may be disappointed. I've found every boss so far to be easy (I just beat
Stella

This game is definitely going to have some serious replay value, though. Once you beat the game,
you can start a new game as Richter Belmont and Maria and/or the Vampire Sisters, Stella and Loretta. In the Nintendo Power article, Iga said that one of these characters attacks with the stylus. Sounds cool to me

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
ya,
loretta and Stella just fly around and own everything.
they are really awesome.
Also the richiter/maria team is really fun.
plus im still working on mastering every secondary weapon and getting all of charlotte's spells. You can also apparently
play as Old Axe Armor if you kill 1000
of them, but I havnt done that yet. :/

This game is definitly good. It is different from the Sorrow series but has some of the same fun features, plus some
old bosses
make comebacks in
the game.

Nite

Smash Champion
Yea, I just love the Castlevania series. It was no suprise that this is a great game. Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite DS game as well. I am sad to say that I didn't get my preorder package because I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough money for the Wii, so I didn't preorder it. Well, my friend has the preorder package and it's very sexy. I'm so jealous. I said the hell with my money today because I had to have it and it is definitely a great game. There are a few things that I miss from the Sorrow series, but there are certain things that I like about every Castlevania game. They all can't be the same, so this game brings a couple new things that I like a lot. I just love the masteries. It gives me an excuse to play it even longer.

I do agree that the first boss wasn't the easiest first boss that I've ever fought, but he's definitely beatable once you study it's movements and patterns.

The game just keeps getting better. I've fallen in love with it already.

saud

Smash Lord
I preordered mine from gamestop.com....

For some reason it didn't come with the bonus...although it showed that it was supposed to in the order and all....

EDIT: I'm kinda stuck in the game...
i purified the priest...killed the sisters again but still didn't unlock the rest of the caste or whatever, could someone please tel me what to do?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Holy crap.

Stella and Loretta are amazing. You just fly around with the control pad; then you slash with the stylus for Stella. For Loretta, you just hold the stylus on an enemy for a ridiculous ice beam. In boss rush, I killed Death in less than 30 seconds with Loretta's ice beam. Basically, the strategy is either A) slash the enemy as fast as you can or B) hold the stylus on them until they die. Do either A or B while dodging.

Richter and Maria are cool too. Richter is amazingly agile. His slide is good (if you click A again during it, he does this crazy spin jump). He runs really fast, too. Maria is small (she can go through "small places") Her slide and backdash are ridiculous too. And don't get me started on her birds. It's like an infinite flurry!! This game has the best unlockables...ever.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Richter and Maria
are really, really broken. I thought that DoS's Julius/Yoko/Alucard mode was incredible, but I have to admit that playing as
Richter
is actually much more satisfying. I'm sorry Alucard and Julius--I still love you guys.

Saud, to answer your question: to advance further in the game, you need to get the
sanctuary spell that's located in the 1st Egyptian level (that had the female boss that used charm on Jonathan). In the room where there was the falling/rolling boulders a la Indiana Jones style, use the Transform Frog spell that Charlotte has to enter the tiny crack. Once you've retrieved the spell, go back to fight the Sisters. You have to make Charlotte start reciting the spell and use Jonathan the distract the Sisters; you can use Taunt to distract them, or use Stonewall to soak up the damage and hope Charlotte finishes the spell in time.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
You can also unlock Old axe armor if you kill 1000 of them. Loretta is a lot more broken than richter I think. Maria is quite awesome as well. Also, paper airplane doesnt have a limit on the amount you can use, so you can infinite airplane/backdash.
Also aftermath has already found a broken weapon with jump cancels but i didnt understand when he told me, so ill tell him to explain it better in this topic.

Nite

Smash Champion
There is also a trick that I found where you can cancel attack animations. Yiy can cancel and attack with a dash, then you can cancel the dash with a crouch.

Here's the steps
1. Attack
2. Dash
3. Crouch
4. Repeat

It can be used for weapons, subweapons, pretty much any attack except for Dual Crushes.
I find it to work the best with quicker weapons. So you find a quick and strong weapon and you're set.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I agree with
Stella and Loretta being completely broken. They're still fun to play, although their "ending" is disappointing, even though you know what's going to happen after being the normal game.

Also, for people getting annoyed by all the grinding you have to do to upgrade subweapons, I found a quick place/tactic for it. The room under
the sisters and the four paintings
has a Final Guard, which takes 50 hits to kill but gives you 15 sp, more if you have a Master Ring or 2. To beat it really quickly, have Charlotte as your cpu character cast Nightmare, and throw your subweapon as she casts it, then attack with a whip. Her ball of energy, your subweapon, and your whip all being onscreen at once causes the game to lag, and the FG will take about 40-50 hits from your whip in a split second. Run out/run in and repeat. Equip whichever speed-enhancing boots you have when you do this to make the process go faster.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Needless to say, this game pwns.

Here's a quick duplication cheat if you completed one of Wind's quests.

1. Press up to talk to him.
2. Select the quest beaten.
3. He says some gibberish.
4. Screen shows you getting your reward.
5. Press start during this screen. You've recieved the reward, but it hasn't been crossed off his list. Repeat. I just upped my MP a bit.
^_^

Edit: Added spoilers just in case you dont want the temptation of cheating hanging over you. :( Do it! Cheat!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
woot, I finally got this game for my b day :)
Imma start playing tomorrow >.>

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
So far, I've only beaten 2 boss and I already thing this game > Castlevania: DoS

The story is better, you're able to use the same weapons, you're finally able to keep skills rather than having one and losing it when you get another (as in some of the previous Castlevania games) and some of the skills you learn are pretty sick.

Oh, and the intro is cooler too :)

<3 this game, my favorite of the series so far...well, unless when I play more throughout the game and it gets worst >.>

Nite

Smash Champion
To sell items through shop mode you have to go to Vincent in 1p mode and go to "Item Display" Set the items that you want to sell up for display and you can start a shop in Wireless mode or Wi-fi mode. You are only allowed to display 4 different items at the same time though.

saud

Smash Lord
Hmmm, i managed to beat the game lvl 25 cap hard mode.....but am not able to beat Nest of Evil at lvl 25 cap, lol....

So.....is the game really beatable at lvl 1 cap....damage I deal is too low....and....Ancient Armor is a life saver....

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Hmmm, i managed to beat the game lvl 25 cap hard mode.....but am not able to beat Nest of Evil at lvl 25 cap, lol....

So.....is the game really beatable at lvl 1 cap....damage I deal is too low....and....Ancient Armor is a life saver....
Get the Miser ring fully powered up. It's still near-impossible, but the bonus for it is worth it.

Edit: Oh, and the Quest glitch the one guy is talking about is pausing right after getting your reward for Wind's Quests. If you do that, you'll get the item, but the game won't remember giving it to you. If you do this with the Dodo Quest that gives you the Thief Ring, you can sell it over and over again for 50,000 gold each.

saud

Smash Lord
Lol......did it the normal way just now.....

Anyway, I completed 1,000% of the map, beat the game, beat nest of evil, did all the quests wind gave me, fully mastered everything, got every drop from every enemy.....

still no chaos/magus ring (the one that gives infinite/near infinite mana)

EDIT:

I never completed all quests on normal mode, I only did that on hard mode but didnt find the ring.....you think i should beat the game again on normal mode, or start a new file on normal mode :/

Top Bottom