• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You could have WD'd early and set up Dtilt, gotten closer and WD'd back to hold down punish DA, jumped after getting a bit closer to go over it and threaten everything else, probably could have RC'd Dtilt too, could've waited then grabbed/dash in grabbed if he started to come forward after pushing in too I suppose. Then there's other possibilities like jab and especially Fsmash but I don't think you like those types of options so much.

Uma

Smash Cadet
What is your go to reliable way of killing a puff when she's at high percent and in neutral? I'm guessing its to not get antsy /throw out a laggy move and just chip her away with fair/upair? I have a hard time beating Bair with fair unless I shield it and fair oos

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can Bthrow FH Uair and kill on most levels including DL at times iirc. Dtilt and weak, very close and late Fair could maybe combo into pivot Fsmash but it depends. Obviously side B Utilt can be an option too. I just hit her away then try to Uair/Utilt/Ftilt kill depending on where she goes.

Beating Bair with Fair is possible, but is probably too risky afaik. You can pivot grab her Bair unless she fully fades away, and you can also chase her some as she retreats with Dtilt or Fair/Nair to challenge her landing.

Uma

Smash Cadet
You can Bthrow FH Uair and kill on most levels including DL at times iirc. Dtilt and weak, very close and late Fair could maybe combo into pivot Fsmash but it depends. Obviously side B Utilt can be an option too. I just hit her away then try to Uair/Utilt/Ftilt kill depending on where she goes.

Beating Bair with Fair is possible, but is probably too risky afaik. You can pivot grab her Bair unless she fully fades away, and you can also chase her some as she retreats with Dtilt or Fair/Nair to challenge her landing.
Have never tried bthrow upair, very cool thanks. Also a lot of the time when I try to side b uptilt I either get another hit of side b or the uptilt just doesn't come out at all, am I doing it too fast?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you get a second hit then you're doing it too fast yeah. It only works when you hit her when she's closer to you and certain percents so you'll want to test it out I'd think.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
You can also mix up bthrow > Uair with fthrow > Uair instead, because if Puff tries to DI away from the bthrow, fthrow > Uair combos instead. It creates a 50/50.

Edit: Just decided to quickly lab this: bthrow > Uair kills starting at 115%, and fthrow > Uair kills starting at 120% (this is versus good but not necessarily perfect DI).

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I won my college town's arcadian!!!!!! I felt myself playing a bit cleaner and being less afraid of being hit. It felt amazing to go the whole way through, mentally and physically, and I proved that my work was paying off. Thank you to everyone in this thread for being such productive members, you guys are great. AAAAAAHHH I WON A TOURNAMENT! I'm excited to keep bettering myself and my play!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, you could have aerialed or Dtilted or grabbed that particular landing. Or fsmashed it I guess. He could also have gotten under on reaction to the DJ and Fair'd I imagine.

You beat that by late grabbing, WD'ing OOS, SH'ing OOS. I'm decently confident you can react to dash back with any of these options, especially grab, but it takes practice since it's a jarring Sheik action.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Vs Fox, even if you're hitting with dtilt, is it possible to be using it too much? In the neutral when you could be moving/waiting instead, and when you think the Fox will be retreating but where dtilt may only give a stage position reward whereas grab or fsmash may give a bigger reward for not that much increased risk?

I recently had a set with a Fox where I hit him with dtilt a ton and to a lesser extent, overshoot grab, over the course of the set and barely lost. It seemed like I was hitting him so much where even if I got the spacing advantage I wasn't able to properly capitalize. This especially happened on FD where I lost twice. I've been trying to theory my way through a ground based neutral vs Fox, at least until 50%+ where nair starts knocking you down. It is still a work in progress unfortunately :(

There's an important tournament coming up here in two weeks that Mew2King is coming to, and I'll probably be second seed. So I really want to understand as much as I can before then if that's cool. PP, do you think you tend to do better in the ditto because you understand the neutral situations and what characters are unable to do in certain situations? Ex: If Fox or Marth is dashing backwards and they are far enough to where they can't reverse direction without wavedashing, do you recognize this immediately and attempt to gain space since what they can hit you with is very low? Do you recognize this with wavedash spacings in front of you? Like in the ditto, how Marth can only attack with dtilt at certain spacings in front of him which cause him to move forward first if he doesn't do a standing dtilt?

And knowing these things and being able to play precisely around them makes you good at the floatier matchups specifically? This is just guessing cause I'm really wondering why you are so good at the ditto specifically but even Marth v. Peach and the one game v. Hungrybox you played years ago it seemed like you were good at that and careful not to overextend but still attack once in awhile.

IDK I may try to get some opinions on my set cause playing too low risk but then overextending seems like it may have been an issue for me but I don't understand enough to be able to make that decision, I think.

Hope all is well.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Been awhile, got some fresh questions to ask:

How exactly would you define sharking? Tbh, I kind of don't really know the exact definition of it, but how I see sharking is something I would closely relate to guaranteed setups for keeping the opponent up in the air forever. Example could be Marth doing a falling up air in a certain position vs Peach without float and that covers literally all her options due to up-air covering her slow fall speed, outranges her hitboxes, and the low end-lag allows Marth to do whatever to cover airdodge. Where does this fit within juggling?

Against puff, how do you determine when to zone and when to grab? There's some puffs where for some reason they stay really grounded, and I d-tilt them a lot but I'm less inclined to grab since of their potential setups that I don't want to succumb to. I know I can dash grab crouching puff, but to be honest I'm not a fan of the RNG chance of potentially missing and eating a fat punish because of it. Do you personally think it's worth going for running grab?

Regarding juggling puff, there's some scenarios I'm unfamiliar and unsure how to further expand my juggle game against her.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=25s
-After my fair strings, I'm not sure what I really accomplish by pushing puff in the corner. This might be noob play for me because I respect pound way too much, but I really just don't want to get gimped by puff.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=36s
-Here, I didn't realize in the moment that puff used two jumps, and that with my fade back FH that discouraged her to push in further with her jumps. Was that my cue to drift in fair instead of up-air?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=1m51s
-I'm not really sure how to go about this after I hit my fair. I feel like puff has so many available options with her drifts and jumps, so some words of advice would be appreciated.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=1m59s
-Pretty much the same problem I've outlined above.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=2m29s
-Here, puff used a lot of jumps, Should I have drifted back FH and maintained my threat of fair?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=2m42s
-This isn't really strictly related to juggling, but what do I do against this. I know I could technically WD d-tilt to punish that bair, but I'm respecting the space in the first place because of pound.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m25s
-I feel like I kind of screwed myself over by getting the weak hit of up-air. I really do feel like puff just has too many options to compensate. However, I did manage to catch puff with a side-B, but it didn't end up doing anything. Would you perhaps recommend WD up-tilt instead?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m42s
-How can I better capitalize off this? Upon further rewatch, I realize I took many of his jumps so he was in a rough spot. Should I perhaps go out there and neutral b? Although I feel like with puff's aerial mobility, she can still travel pretty far with airdodge. Best way to go about this?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m46s
-I think my mistake here was FH when puff still had many of her jumps. My question here is should I SH to affect her drift/jumps or stay grounded? Or whatever is the best way to go about it.

I'm posting a lot of clips vs my juggle game vs puff because I feel like she's a whole different beast compared to other characters, and that improving my juggle game will give me the highest returns in improving this mu. There's more examples I can cite, but I think this is enough for now.

Also, standing/walk d-tilts are godlike vs. ICs. I've been using this tool a lot to stuff out IC's approaches and force them to commit hard in the air if they choose to, which creates big opportunities for me to strike them in the air. However, I find that this loses to blizzard desync setup since I'm not really approaching. I realize that this is my cue to perhaps strike before they can fully setup. I know one common setup is for them to do an iceblock then blizzard, which is my cue to go out there and dash fair or something. Do you know of other setups I should be looking out for?

I have a lot of trouble covering FH side-B edge-cancel top platform, especially when they fade back their FH back. This is when I'm within SH dair distance. I've practiced the reaction and it's hard for me to get it consistently.
https://youtu.be/GtzZ4OJUQlM?t=24s
https://youtu.be/GtzZ4OJUQlM?t=2m33s
The above clips is a special case where I'm respawning before I hit the ground, it seems like Squid reactively goes for the top platform edge cancel to evade my invincibility frames and I'm not too sure what to do against that.

HolidayMaker

Smash Cadet
This is something I've really only encountered on the occasion that I've played top level Foxes who I wouldn't beat anyway (Druggedfox and AbsentPage are the two I'm thinking of, so way above my level) but do you have any preferred counterplay to running shine->aerial? My favorite counterplay to running shine is normally pivot grab, but when they adapt their running shine aerial around it I get overshot really badly and just lose neutral. Should I give them more space? Less space and pivot grab earlier? Rising/pivot fair instead? It's only a matter of time before Foxes closer to my level make this adaptation/I advance enough to see it more, but I"m kinda stuck on this one.

Socrates

Smash Cadet
Do you have any examples of pivot grabbing Bair? I’ve heard you mention it a few times but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in action.

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
I played a marth player who would rc double dtilt at low percents and then when I used nair to beat the second dtilt he would cc grab. I know fsmash and grab can beat this option but to me it seems like taking space with dtilt and holding down is really strong and let’s you take space for free. What are you thoughts on abusing this option in neutral?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Vs Fox, even if you're hitting with dtilt, is it possible to be using it too much? In the neutral when you could be moving/waiting instead, and when you think the Fox will be retreating but where dtilt may only give a stage position reward whereas grab or fsmash may give a bigger reward for not that much increased risk?

I recently had a set with a Fox where I hit him with dtilt a ton and to a lesser extent, overshoot grab, over the course of the set and barely lost. It seemed like I was hitting him so much where even if I got the spacing advantage I wasn't able to properly capitalize. This especially happened on FD where I lost twice. I've been trying to theory my way through a ground based neutral vs Fox, at least until 50%+ where nair starts knocking you down. It is still a work in progress unfortunately :(

There's an important tournament coming up here in two weeks that Mew2King is coming to, and I'll probably be second seed. So I really want to understand as much as I can before then if that's cool. PP, do you think you tend to do better in the ditto because you understand the neutral situations and what characters are unable to do in certain situations? Ex: If Fox or Marth is dashing backwards and they are far enough to where they can't reverse direction without wavedashing, do you recognize this immediately and attempt to gain space since what they can hit you with is very low? Do you recognize this with wavedash spacings in front of you? Like in the ditto, how Marth can only attack with dtilt at certain spacings in front of him which cause him to move forward first if he doesn't do a standing dtilt?

And knowing these things and being able to play precisely around them makes you good at the floatier matchups specifically? This is just guessing cause I'm really wondering why you are so good at the ditto specifically but even Marth v. Peach and the one game v. Hungrybox you played years ago it seemed like you were good at that and careful not to overextend but still attack once in awhile.

IDK I may try to get some opinions on my set cause playing too low risk but then overextending seems like it may have been an issue for me but I don't understand enough to be able to make that decision, I think.

Hope all is well.
It sounds like your Dtilt problem is coming more from your inability to abuse stage advantage, but yes if you'd like to mix up your risk-reward with Dtilt then that's totally fine.

It's a combination of knowing habits, knowing positions, and also setting myself up to manipulate positions. Also some metagame knowledge of what's common or likely. I just tell people to learn positions and not to do excess movement since that gives them the highest chance of awareness if they're also practicing.

Been awhile, got some fresh questions to ask:

How exactly would you define sharking? Tbh, I kind of don't really know the exact definition of it, but how I see sharking is something I would closely relate to guaranteed setups for keeping the opponent up in the air forever. Example could be Marth doing a falling up air in a certain position vs Peach without float and that covers literally all her options due to up-air covering her slow fall speed, outranges her hitboxes, and the low end-lag allows Marth to do whatever to cover airdodge. Where does this fit within juggling?

Against puff, how do you determine when to zone and when to grab? There's some puffs where for some reason they stay really grounded, and I d-tilt them a lot but I'm less inclined to grab since of their potential setups that I don't want to succumb to. I know I can dash grab crouching puff, but to be honest I'm not a fan of the RNG chance of potentially missing and eating a fat punish because of it. Do you personally think it's worth going for running grab?

Regarding juggling puff, there's some scenarios I'm unfamiliar and unsure how to further expand my juggle game against her.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=25s
-After my fair strings, I'm not sure what I really accomplish by pushing puff in the corner. This might be noob play for me because I respect pound way too much, but I really just don't want to get gimped by puff.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=36s
-Here, I didn't realize in the moment that puff used two jumps, and that with my fade back FH that discouraged her to push in further with her jumps. Was that my cue to drift in fair instead of up-air?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=1m51s
-I'm not really sure how to go about this after I hit my fair. I feel like puff has so many available options with her drifts and jumps, so some words of advice would be appreciated.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=1m59s
-Pretty much the same problem I've outlined above.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=2m29s
-Here, puff used a lot of jumps, Should I have drifted back FH and maintained my threat of fair?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=2m42s
-This isn't really strictly related to juggling, but what do I do against this. I know I could technically WD d-tilt to punish that bair, but I'm respecting the space in the first place because of pound.
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m25s
-I feel like I kind of screwed myself over by getting the weak hit of up-air. I really do feel like puff just has too many options to compensate. However, I did manage to catch puff with a side-B, but it didn't end up doing anything. Would you perhaps recommend WD up-tilt instead?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m42s
-How can I better capitalize off this? Upon further rewatch, I realize I took many of his jumps so he was in a rough spot. Should I perhaps go out there and neutral b? Although I feel like with puff's aerial mobility, she can still travel pretty far with airdodge. Best way to go about this?
https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=3m46s
-I think my mistake here was FH when puff still had many of her jumps. My question here is should I SH to affect her drift/jumps or stay grounded? Or whatever is the best way to go about it.

I'm posting a lot of clips vs my juggle game vs puff because I feel like she's a whole different beast compared to other characters, and that improving my juggle game will give me the highest returns in improving this mu. There's more examples I can cite, but I think this is enough for now.

Also, standing/walk d-tilts are godlike vs. ICs. I've been using this tool a lot to stuff out IC's approaches and force them to commit hard in the air if they choose to, which creates big opportunities for me to strike them in the air. However, I find that this loses to blizzard desync setup since I'm not really approaching. I realize that this is my cue to perhaps strike before they can fully setup. I know one common setup is for them to do an iceblock then blizzard, which is my cue to go out there and dash fair or something. Do you know of other setups I should be looking out for?

I have a lot of trouble covering FH side-B edge-cancel top platform, especially when they fade back their FH back. This is when I'm within SH dair distance. I've practiced the reaction and it's hard for me to get it consistently.
https://youtu.be/GtzZ4OJUQlM?t=24s
https://youtu.be/GtzZ4OJUQlM?t=2m33s
The above clips is a special case where I'm respawning before I hit the ground, it seems like Squid reactively goes for the top platform edge cancel to evade my invincibility frames and I'm not too sure what to do against that.
Sharking is abusing advantageous ground position. It's abusing Marth's large range and disjoint and mobility advantage over airborne opponents. It often involves burning floaty options like Peach float or a couple Puff jumps. The Uair that covers everything would normally only occur at the end of sharking or if an opponent decided not to use an option and commit to coming down early.

Yeah I feel you on the Puff thing. I tend to skew towards taking stage against Puff and occasionally grabbing, so she isn't really ready to counter it even if I do whiff. Also, I like grabbing when I can get a kill or major damage or I think I can trip up her DI for an early kill. So it's not all of the time and that helps me grab less as well. There may be a way to mix Dtilt/Fsmash/grab but I don't know/remember how I'd do it atm.

Your mistake was you immediately FH'd in place. That lets Puff drift away to the edge for free since you can no longer cover drift away. Mayyybe if you FF'd asap you could have gotten down and Dtilted/Fsmashed or at least threatened those at the edge, so it's not a totally bad play since you still cornered Puff and she didn't get to mix up going over your head, but the immediate FH and close to the ground Fair were your problems here.

That's right.

Not sure if you could have hit DJ Uair or not, but either way swinging or not is its own mixup here since swinging forces jumps and falling gets a potentially separate mixup/manipulation situation. Anyway what I'd do is move right immediately to force Puff to the side so I'd have less ambiguity to deal with. You ended up pushing toward center and then could've DJ Faired Puff or waiting for a bigger Fsmash/grab payoff.

Around 2:01 you could have FH'd to threaten DJ if Puff didn't burn mad jumps or fall to the side, but staying grounded is fine too. You let Puff get right over you as you walk and then stand still, which is what ends up getting you mixed up some. Try to stay at a diagonal between Puff and center if you can. SHs and dashes/WDs can help and you don't need to move excessively since Puff is slow. You moved kind of slow as Puff begins to descend(she's used many jumps at this point) and the Ftilt was well placed but it's pretty easy for Puff to see coming. Getting there earlier lets you use Fair or fake Fair and then grab/Utilt or whatever. You could also just wait and let Puff land because now she's cornered and just be sure to push her farther in without attacking/attacking her landing, or hit her if she does what she did here.

Yep. Alternately, you can do some SH fakes to ensure she goes high and then she has to come down into your grab/Utilt/Fsmash.

SH'ing in place repeatedly makes you slower than Puff, and therefore very abusable by her. You can run in and Fair some of these Bairs since she gets a little high or does them at an odd timing and you can run in and hit her for just doing it since your run is a low profile. I could react to Pound kinda reliably and I also usually saw Puffs drift in facing forward before using it so it was pretty telegraphed, but if you're worried about Pound then just go in and if they Bair you can hit them or threaten and if not you can retreating aerial or back up or something. I feel that's an alright compromise. Might be something you just need to play around with where you just run neutral over and over with a Puff without worrying about punish.

Yeah weak hit Uair made it harder. Fair instead or go for some jump read. Your main problem was after landing you lunged with Uair. You could have reacted with DJ Bair and taken a jump and hit Puff to the side while giving more depth to your FH. It's not like this Puff ever comes into you with aerials and this would force that more. The side B was alright but you should have dashed in and either attacked the landing or the jump away since Puff is in a pretty contained space then(and if she jumps and drifts full away, she's now used a bunch of jumps so it's still good for you).

Correct, he had used 4 jumps before using his final jump into airdodge. This should've been great for you, especially after confirming he went up with his airdodge which gives even more time to punish without landing. When he jumped in using his fourth jump, you could neutral B that maybe, or runoff DJ Fair, or wait to hit him with late Fair or Dtilt or Fsmash or whatever as he gets closer to the stage. As he airdodges, you have to watch for the drift in slightly then move away as that is common for floaties to do to push people back. Airdodge in doesn't mean they will drift in and we have to get past that weird brain conclusion that seems to happen there. Even if you just got under it and Utilted Puff can't do anything at all besides airdodge or like Dair into you lol. But yeah you can Fsmash or Dtilt the drift away on relatively easy reaction depending on your goals and spacing etc etc.

You did SH and DJ lol, but the DJ is what screwed you. Also, you're just always too far away from Puff when you try to commit and she can easily weave around you. Consider her perspective, why would she ever be in DJ aerial range when she has jumps and stage to drift to? You also immediately SH'd as she got off the edge to counter her flying into you, which hasn't happened and no Puff ever does. This kept you from punishing edge jump. Then you just stayed too far away/didn't shift your horizontal position with any dashes to make yourself more threatening.

Yeah Dtilt destroys ICs lol. When they roll you should also get them since they desync out of that.

You just need to remember that Falco sucks when cornered, so if he's cornered even slightly just prime yourself for it. If he FHs, go with him.

Land without Fair, then dash DJ Fair and that should work.

This is something I've really only encountered on the occasion that I've played top level Foxes who I wouldn't beat anyway (Druggedfox and AbsentPage are the two I'm thinking of, so way above my level) but do you have any preferred counterplay to running shine->aerial? My favorite counterplay to running shine is normally pivot grab, but when they adapt their running shine aerial around it I get overshot really badly and just lose neutral. Should I give them more space? Less space and pivot grab earlier? Rising/pivot fair instead? It's only a matter of time before Foxes closer to my level make this adaptation/I advance enough to see it more, but I"m kinda stuck on this one.
Run in and grab, Dtilt/Fair/Nair them as they shine(Dtilt seems best for this), or retreating aerial like you mentioned will work pretty well. You can also just back up a little and CC if they Nair, or just dash/WD through them to cross them up. You could even Fsmash if you were sure they'd commit, and they'd be holding down which is pretty good.

I played a marth player who would rc double dtilt at low percents and then when I used nair to beat the second dtilt he would cc grab. I know fsmash and grab can beat this option but to me it seems like taking space with dtilt and holding down is really strong and let’s you take space for free. What are you thoughts on abusing this option in neutral?
CC grab in place or running grab? I don't...think you can CC grab in place this? I'd grind this out if I were you and maybe make sure you AC the Nair and space it. If that does really lose to CC (run) grab, then I'd say you can Dtilt between their Dtilts or just Fsmash'ing. You can grab between too like you said. Honestly, double Dtilt is super good in the ditto because people usually want to punish dash back after the first Dtilt and they need to be grounded and move in to do it. It's also generally pretty hard to punish, meaning if you ever do any Dtilt they need to respect it more if you switch between double Dtilt and do nothing/dash back for example.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee There's some neutral game questions/observations I'd like to go over with you to see if I'm making sense or not.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255944815?t=01h27m54s
It looks like I'm guessing wildly with some dtilts and grabs as he spaces just out of it.
So I had time to see that the dtilt did not connect. So I was observing, because if I wasn't, I don't think I would have been aware to even make the choice to go for a dash in grab after. A few moments later on the left side of the stage I do a long dash in, but I didn't make a decision. I just kept moving in...

It looks like simple moves like this do give you time and your opponent time. Is it how you use that time to make quality decisions in neutral? If I don't go crazy on the APM making sure I don't mess up a flurry of inputs and keep things simple, I could give myself more focus on my plays and my opponents plays/responses. I was thinking for a bit "well, a dash or wavedash is only so long, could the amount of time it takes for a dash/wavedash to happen be long enough to make any sort of decision?" Throughout this set I can see that I'm moving less excessively than I was at last years evo, and I think now I'm at a different stage where I need help maybe 'trusting' in these deeper ideas behind my tools. Would I be wrong to think that a benefit of Marths dash length is that it gives you the luxury of having more time to observe and make decisions while being less taxing on the execution side, just by sheer nature of how the character works at a basic level? Maybe I'm restating facts here but if I read this sort of stuff in 2016/2015 it would have gone over my head or I'd think it sounded good intellectually but didn't understand it internally.

I'll leave it at that because even writing all that seemed confusing to me and I'd like to clear this up.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255944815?t=01h27m36s There's also this moment where I dashed back after dtilting, then did an extra wavedash in that direction and -then- moved back in to try and grab him after his drill but then the shine hit me. Is that a moment where I should be thinking "wait, I had time to react to that in my long dash after the dtilt, I didn't need to wavedash again afterward"? Am I not giving my characters tools enough credit?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think it'd be good to test this. Can you dash back and react to an approach at a close spacing before the dash back? What about WD? If you can't react, what is the closest spacing where you can? I think you'll surprise yourself since Marth's actions go prettttyyy far, especially the WD. Also keep in mind that you're usually at least somewhat spaced when doing these backing up movements. Backing up when closer does give you more time, and since the opponent can't be sure you'd do that, you get to see what they wanted to do as you back up. It's somewhat similar when you move in from TR.

The WD back is okay sometimes, but you could have reacted out of dash back with pivot Fair or just Bair or maybe even another dash into grab. Let your dashes stall out and just watch them sometimes instead of feeling the need to move, which will tie into the training I suggested above. Eventually it won't feel like stalling out anymore since you'll be used to reacting out of it. Also, you could have still gotten that grab after WD away if you didn't lose frames trying to shield etc first I believe.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
So it's seeing what distance I could be able to react to an approach before I choose the input(dash back) in the first place? I never thought of it like that. So is it like refining and testing myself first and then my execution/decisions become more clean?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yes, and also seeing what you can react to from this new space. Of course they can move when you do, but there may still be pauses on their end from uncertainty. It is worth knowing.

You need to be aware of the positions and possible options. If a Fox can hit you in one space if you dash back, but not if you're just a tiny step farther away, you NEED to know that difference. If you can beat immediate Nair or immediate RC Dtilt then you know about where you need to be. Most people don't change their timings much, and even if they did, you'd still have certain options already covered from your training and awareness. Does this make more sense?

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Yes, and also seeing what you can react to from this new space. Of course they can move when you do, but there may still be pauses on their end from uncertainty. It is worth knowing.

You need to be aware of the positions and possible options. If a Fox can hit you in one space if you dash back, but not if you're just a tiny step farther away, you NEED to know that difference. If you can beat immediate Nair or immediate RC Dtilt then you know about where you need to be. Most people don't change their timings much, and even if they did, you'd still have certain options already covered from your training and awareness. Does this make more sense?
Does this also tie into say, understanding when or why I would want to go for certain lengths of dashes? Going "ok, I need to be sure to dash/wd this sort of length because I know that'll give me the time I need to be able to react here"

It does make more sense. So "ok, I did a longer dash here I know I can react to this and this from this new space created"

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yes it also ties in to dash lengths. Or wavedash lengths. Or jump drifts.

Also, as you practice reacting to the base option, you will find your reaction times may vary in matches. This is due to uncertainty. If you make it a priority to practice basic responses to counters when you do create space then that lowers your reaction time overall, and opens you up to seeing more they do as a result as they slow down to become more complicated, or just stop approaching mostly altogether.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
By counters do you mean practice responses to counters like jabbing or shining or spot dodging either in place or after moving into the space I created?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I should have just said actions, such as initial Nair or immediate RC Dtilt I mentioned before. Counters would be the next step of things like running farther before doing either of those actions, or running in FH in place to beat you intercepting. But anyway, practice basic ways to beat options from your new space created, and keep building from there.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
"You need to be aware of the positions and possible options. If a Fox can hit you in one space if you dash back, but not if you're just a tiny step farther away, you NEED to know that difference. If you can beat immediate Nair or immediate RC Dtilt then you know about where you need to be. " This I'm getting. The rest I need to practice but I think I get it.

Birdsnest

Smash Rookie
What should I do when I'm in the corner vs falco? Specifically when he is approaching with lasers. Also, what are some good options to get out of the corner in general?

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
I should have just said actions, such as initial Nair or immediate RC Dtilt I mentioned before. Counters would be the next step of things like running farther before doing either of those actions, or running in FH in place to beat you intercepting. But anyway, practice basic ways to beat options from your new space created, and keep building from there.
I've shortened and lengthened dashes and drifts but I never really understood why that would be a thing to optimize on the human level (The part about seeing how close I can be and still be able to react to an action). I've mostly just done it because "Oh, it's good to mix it up or just because 'it's good lol'" I've never really had a concrete explanation as to why and how it could be practiced. I think this is why your play when you're really on your game looks so well coordinated and even choreographed. I don't want to always put you on some pedestal or put other players down but frankly I rarely if ever see those sorts of qualities from even top 50 marths. If you can practice it than anyone can if they're willing to put in the work it seems.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
What should I do when I'm in the corner vs falco? Specifically when he is approaching with lasers. Also, what are some good options to get out of the corner in general?
If he's approaching, you can make PS work more in your favor. Also dash side B to intercept laser or take laser jab can be pretty good at stuffing what he wants to do. You can also get on side platform depending on how much space and time you have and work your Fair game there. Some Falcos complain about AC Nair over lasers, so you could try that too. It's a pretty bad spot in general for Marth so there's only so much you can do. WD/running past people, taking space incrementally with dashes/moving in WD back or some zoning are some options you can use in other matchups to pull yourself out of the corner.

I've shortened and lengthened dashes and drifts but I never really understood why that would be a thing to optimize on the human level (The part about seeing how close I can be and still be able to react to an action). I've mostly just done it because "Oh, it's good to mix it up or just because 'it's good lol'" I've never really had a concrete explanation as to why and how it could be practiced. I think this is why your play when you're really on your game looks so well coordinated and even choreographed. I don't want to always put you on some pedestal or put other players down but frankly I rarely if ever see those sorts of qualities from even top 50 marths. If you can practice it than anyone can if they're willing to put in the work it seems.
Yeah it's really just about doing the work once you know the principles. Mixups are good because they make one action into many actions and one position into many positions. They're not good because it's more stuff, they're good because you make it so everything is impossible to cover. If you do them well, they're also good because they give you a way to know more than your opponent in a position, which is very strong.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's really just about doing the work once you know the principles. Mixups are good because they make one action into many actions and one position into many positions. They're not good because it's more stuff, they're good because you make it so everything is impossible to cover. If you do them well, they're also good because they give you a way to know more than your opponent in a position, which is very strong.
Yeah right now we've talked about the principles, now I think it's time I keep grinding it out. I've been practicing and seeing how it's been leading my play and it's definitely made a difference. Mistakes make more sense and things that work make more sense.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
So you would define sharking primarily has exhausting escaping tools your opponent has, due to Marth threatening such advantageous position on the ground, so it makes juggling easier? That makes sense. I've noticed that big juggling payoffs occur when the opponent has little options left coming down.

For the puff clips

First clip, instead of FH in place, do you think I should've SH then? Or possibly FF FH'd in place like you said.

Fourth clip, "Try to stay at a diagonal between Puff and center if you can." I would like clarification if I'm interpreting this correctly.
https://imgur.com/a/7bxV1Br - Am I visualizing this correctly when you mean staying diagonal between puff and center, where I would FH there to cover/shark options with the least likely to get mixed up on?

For Falco FH side-B, do you mean dash DJ fair before the side-B starts up or intercepting at top platform?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
SH isn't so threatening when Puff is so high, and then when she drops farther away horizontally SH doesn't do much either so I wouldn't recommend it in that exact position.

Staying at a diagonal is not just for jumping, it is also for dashing. Do not DD, just slow dashes will work perfectly fine. They are slow in the air so you only need a dash to have mobility advantage. That said, for FH, that's roughly the right spot. There and a bit closer is about the range you want to be in. I can't say one spot is perfect since you'll both be shifting a lot and other variables such as kill setups can change depending on platform availability and such.

As it starts up, but I guess you could just go the other way and hit him as he hits the platform if you want.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
So for the first puff clip, do you think I should've FH slightly later then?

As for the diagonal concept, it should look more like this then? https://imgur.com/a/PilhqGe (just added the dash range)

https://youtu.be/HRS1QRteVP8?t=15s
Also, what could I do to beat drift in nair when I'm trying to DD pivot grab? It kinda seems like nair makes it really strict on the pivot grab timing. Should I rising fair instead?

I also had the opportunity to play a top level Fox player in which I managed to take a game off of because my punish game was on point. He thought that it was a bo5 when it's a bo3, and then muttered that he would've played differently game 1. For one, I call johns lol. But I also cant help think there's some truth to it, as Game 2 he played a lot faster to overwhelm me. He ended up winning because i failed to convert off of important edgeguards Game 3, but I just want to know if I should I guess think differently with bo3 and bo5. Either way currently, I just only think about the match in hand and play on point, but I don't really think about anything different when it's a bo5.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That, or FF earlier and don't do Fair.

And yeah more like that.

In that situation I'm not sure pivot grab would have worked but pivot Fair would have.

Thinking differently in bo3 vs bo5 is mostly about preference. Some top players may be lazier or spend a little more time figuring out how someone plays before going hard. There are other things you can do like spend time gathering responses to certain actions for later quick stocks or playing a certain tempo you intend to change later, or a certain style etc. It's really not common though.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Executing the basics (inputs, dashes wavedashes etc) after having practiced them so execution is clean and developed deeply so there's less hesitation with a practiced understanding of the principles (Not sure I have one or two word descriptions but basically what we've been talking about this last page). More 'complicated' inputs look like just different ways you're executing the basics with this understanding of the principles. Advanced tip of the top play doesn't look like 1 frame pivot shield stop backwards sticky walk rising fair late up air to turn around uptilt, to me it looks like very well practiced basics with a deep understanding of underlying principles backed up by self-testing/confidence (the testing of how close/far one would be to react to counters). (At least when I watch you or m2k play this character).

There's no question in here but I want to practice understanding complicated stuff in shorter explanations as it's being internalized. What do you think?

Last edited:

Beat!

Smash Master
I think that's definitely the right idea. Top players have historically never been the ones at the forefront of introducing/pushing super-optimized techs/sequences which are hard to execute consistently. Rather, as you said, they have a (relatively) basic gameplan which they've honed to near-perfection, and which allows them to also focus on making judgment calls and being flexible. Melee's going to place a high demand on your execution no matter what, and so the players who settle for overall strong options which they can reliably execute (and can therefore also place a lot of focus on general decision making, observing habits etc) are going to be better off than the ones who obsessively grind highly specific solutions to highly specific situations and who at the end of the day usually never reach a "recommended" level of consistency, despite grinding for countless amounts of hours.

There's obviously a balance, and possibly a discussion to be had about whether top players tend to get a little too complacent with their gameplan (Leffen's meteoric rise to the top was essentially based on that premise), but the main point still holds true: top players did not get to where they are today by pushing the technical boundaries of the game, but rather by developing a gameplan which allowed them to become amazing at the game as a whole.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Executing the basics (inputs, dashes wavedashes etc) after having practiced them so execution is clean and developed deeply so there's less hesitation with a practiced understanding of the principles (Not sure I have one or two word descriptions but basically what we've been talking about this last page). More 'complicated' inputs look like just different ways you're executing the basics with this understanding of the principles. Advanced tip of the top play doesn't look like 1 frame pivot shield stop backwards sticky walk rising fair late up air to turn around uptilt, to me it looks like very well practiced basics with a deep understanding of underlying principles backed up by self-testing/confidence (the testing of how close/far one would be to react to counters). (At least when I watch you or m2k play this character).

There's no question in here but I want to practice understanding complicated stuff in shorter explanations as it's being internalized. What do you think?
Yeah people make the game too complicated with all of the tech. This is why discussing shield dropping and ucf endlessly drives me up a wall since it misses everything you can do to be good regardless.

Really if you're willing to continually break actions and positions down into their most basic parts, that's where you get info. Trying to take things in a massive form is just confusing. As you practice more and learn more, you'll build complexity naturally.

Socrates

Smash Cadet
Really if you're willing to continually break actions and positions down into their most basic parts, that's where you get info. Trying to take things in a massive form is just confusing. As you practice more and learn more, you'll build complexity naturally.
I’m wondering. When breaking down moves in the ways that you’ve talked about in the past (do a movement, think about possible paths of action before/after, focus on distance in relation to time and reactions) it often feels.... boring? It feels repetitive, much of it seems obvious, and it doesn’t really feel like there’s a lot of congitive dissonance happening.

Maybe I’m not at the level of noticing results yet, but does it sound like I might be doing something wrong? Is it supposed to feel like I’m just pointing out obvious, matter of fact things about my movement and options?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, you may want to think of how these things impact the opponent. Or maybe stop thinking about those things so often and just focus more on doing the inputs well.

The truth is that this stuff is much more boring on the surface than how most people practice. I think of it like what I've read and experienced a little with martial art. Some people may find practicing the same punch over and over boring, but eventually they surprise themselves and do really powerful ones as their training progresses. This would happen even when they might not understand the point of doing the punch over and over. That metaphor always helped me enjoy practicing since I knew I'd get somewhere better eventually, and I was right, but I don't know how else to explain it to someone else.

Top Bottom