• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

LKratos

Smash Cadet
I thiink there's an importance of establishing a comprehensive gameplan first because typically any adaptation to an opponent should be applied in the context of your gameplan. Rather than trying to think "what are my opponents habits", it then becomes "what are the ways my opponent is trying to interfere with my gameplan" and then "what adjustments do I need to make to my gameplan to account for this?"

You are then able to build upon your gameplan based on your experience, adding to your repertoire of adjustments. So while you end up having a baseline fundamental gameplan against a particular character, you might end up with gameplan 1a against one type of opponent, gameplan 1b against another, and so on. Often it feels like a lot of different "types" of player habits can come bundled together with certain types of players. And so you learn which "packages" of adjustments need to be applied against certain players.

Last edited:

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
PP, I'd like to hear your thoughts, as well as other people's thoughts on this quote from streetfighter player Daigo Umehara:

"By 'reading' an opponent (memorizing their habits, tells, and methods), you take your focus off of yourself and what you are doing. While knowing an opponent's habits can vastly improve one's odds in a match, to rely on this knowledge leads to very selective methods that will rarely work on multiple opponents. It also does not allow the player to grow. 'True strength is achieved when you can read your opponent, but defeat them without exploiting their weaknesses.'"
My interpretation of this is that it's Daigo saying that while you can have room for adaptation in your gameplan, you shouldn't make your gameplan fully built around habits you notice your opponent has. I think that it's correct, and brings up interesting ideas about player vs player and player vs character mentality.

Do you agree/disagree with this statement or my interpretation of it? To what extent can this thought process be applied to Melee, an admittedly different game from Street Fighter? What kind of balance should a Marth player ideally strike between PvP philosophy and PvC philosophy?
Regardless of character, PvC is the ideal mindset. You need a framework for neutral and punish, especially when you're playing a better player. The framework you have includes different situations and their expected values. PvC means that you're playing to reach the next level. A PvP mindset assumes that your opponent is going to mess up, while PvC means that you're outplaying them.

Suppose Falco is playing against Marth. Falco is still new, he's learning shield pressure (baiting grabs with double jumps, nair shine, retreating backair). Marth has been playing for about the same time. Each stock, Falco pressures Marth at the ledge. Falco flubs his pressure though, and Marth sees that Falco doesn't have good shield pressure. Therefore, Marth shieldgrabs every single time at the ledge into dthrow-dtilt to win the game.

In this situation, Falco had the PvC mindset, and Marth had the PvP mindset. Falco eventually learns how he wants to approach Marth in shield at the ledge (wait it out, bait the grab, or go ham with shine nair). Marth continues through the bracket, where he loses 2-0 to someone who doesn't get dthrow-dtilted because it's just not a high level gameplan.

To reverse the roles, Marth is working on his tech chasing. He's not there yet, sometimes he doesn't space quite right. He does some down-throws at low percent, but is a frame or two slow against Falco. Falco buffers spot dodge-shine whenever he gets grabbed, and so off of a lot of followups Marth gets spotdodge shined. Falco learns that this Marth's punish game needs some work, and stops worrying about getting grabbed because he's getting free combos.

Falco has the PvP mindset because he's thinking - this guy can't punish, I'll just shoot lasers and if he grabs me I'll shine him. He plays M2K next. No, actually he plays someone with a good enough punish game to capitalize off grabs. The Marth on the other hand slowly gets better at learning the situations where he needs to wait for spot dodges, and gets faster at following up on tech chases.

Lets say Fox is dash dancing right outside Marth's forward smash range. The last few stocks, forward smashing paid off. It's the last stock, and a similar situation to the last time. If Fox gets forward smashed here, it's because Fox messed up. If Marth forward smashes, then he just threw the game to a better player.

Ultimately, you will find the most growth as a player if you play it like a negotiation. Given where we are, what can I do and what can my opponent do, and how do we get to a situation where I still win even if my opponent executes properly?

Last edited:

Syaith

Smash Cadet
Can anyone explain how m2k got the tipper here? Usually on dreamland the platform is too high for fsmash to even hit. Slowing it down, it looks like the fsmash caught fox's foot as it went through the platform before fox even hit the platform. Is this reliable at certain percents?
https://youtu.be/kqhYcEZh-F4?t=7m33s

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Basically, the hurtbox of fox was slightly below the platform, but fox's collision size wasn't low enough to consider him to have landed on the platform. M2K hit a very small timing window to make that connect.

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Hi Mr. Nanney

Congrats on going back to the Falco boards! How are you going to manage your time?! Speaking of Falco, I have ?'s about him.

How does laser SDI impact the matchup for both characters? That is, what are the most important attributes that SDI gives to Marth when he is hinstun or when Falco is in hitstun?

Do you see any aerial potential for Marth as a result of SDI?

You've mentioned that Marth should be using attacks and dashing away/forward after being hit by lasers. Do you think that it is worth the risk to try to establish a ground wall, for example, right before a laser hits you (using F-Tilt/D-smash/F-smash/d-tilt to cancel the attack hitlag and repeating the process)?

Thanks, Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hi Mr. Nanney

Congrats on going back to the Falco boards! How are you going to manage your time?! Speaking of Falco, I have ?'s about him.

How does laser SDI impact the matchup for both characters? That is, what are the most important attributes that SDI gives to Marth when he is hinstun or when Falco is in hitstun?

Do you see any aerial potential for Marth as a result of SDI?

You've mentioned that Marth should be using attacks and dashing away/forward after being hit by lasers. Do you think that it is worth the risk to try to establish a ground wall, for example, right before a laser hits you (using F-Tilt/D-smash/F-smash/d-tilt to cancel the attack hitlag and repeating the process)?

Thanks, Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
It's fine for now but after my health is better it'll be a lot harder lol.

Marth benefits a lot from hitstun by pushing himself up and/or away from Falco when he's Dair'ing and usually away in some form when he's Nair'ing and of course away on shine too. I don't think I can explain it much better without getting into specifics that wouldn't cover everything. Falco's SDI really helps him reposition in more places after getting hit by Marth's sword, particularly out of Uthrow and this can cause Marth to hit inappropriately with his sword or just miss out altogether. An example of this is SDI'ing up on Uair after Uthrow combos in order to escape the string and DJ out.

I don't understand your second question.

Yeah that's something I think can be good too, but I think you get more reward for hitting Falco farther away.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee The more I aim to restore a beginners mentality to myself, the more resistance I still feel..and the more respect I have for someone whos' at the top of their game to be able to do such a thing >_<

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The key in dealing with these things is accepting the resistance and also deciding what you want instead and cultivating that. There can often be other psychological barriers outside of the game limiting you from doing this, or at least that seemed to be the case for me. This was not an overnight process for me at all and it probably took at least two years of intense self reflection and challenging myself before I overcame those obstacles. Just don't be hard on yourself and keep changing your approach until you figure it out.

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Hi Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

I've been watching a lot of Tai, and I noticed that when he is in the corner vs Axe, Tai likes to NIL on the platform and use D-air to force knockdowns on Pikachu. Do you think that this is a viable strategy vs Pikachu (not Axe) because you could also shield drop punish Pikachu's up air? Thanks.

What should Marth do when Pikachu has his back with his very slight overshoot? Thanks

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't understand your first question.

For the second, you can crouch under the Nair or get hit by the weak part and CC grab it sometimes. You can also just shield if you confirm Pika will cross up and grab. I guess if you have a little more space you can Bair or WD away or something too.

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Sorry Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

I'm wondering if you think that no impact land on the side platform to down air is viable against a Pikachu that is trying to n-air you when Marth is in the corner.

For the Falco question, my ?'s revolved around laser SDI and not SDI in general vs Falco. My second question was just wondering if you saw any benefits to SDI'ing the lasers in order to space yourself vs Falco when Marth is airborne using f-air.

Sorry for the edits :(((

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't think the NIL is good much at all. Maybe getting on a platform and then going to the middle of the level can be, but not the Dair usually.

Yeah SDI'ing lasers is an underused tactic but it can be pretty good. I don't know how often it sets up Fairs but it sets up better jabs and/or DD grabs which work great vs Falco approaches.

Wall Of SPain

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Been a while I have needed your aid :D, thanks for the previous aid I am able to set short term goal to achieve my long term goal, and I beat one of the prs in my city the last tourney I attended :D. But I have been analyzing a lot, but my question is, imagine you have cornered your enemy, maybe from a neutral situation you ended up winning or you ate his space, now here is what i am ambiguous about, imagine its fox v falco, fox has stage control, what dictates what is the best option of either waiting and dash dancing/ baiting, or putting pressure on shield (well spaced and timed) because Fox is broken af? I could understand that vs falcon you would rather want to put pressure because of limited out of shield options and vs marth you would almost want to dash dance a bit farther so the grab doesnt reach you, but in a regular no advantage situation is my approach in the ledge a read or is it my main option? Should I mix them up randomly? Or know they are going to throw out a move?

Sorry for being so long with such a simple question, its just that the neutral is too abstract of a term for me to explain what i am refering well, I came seeking your help because I believe you have one of the best stage controls in the game, as in when the opponent is in the corner they are not coming back.

Love you a lot, Guy with a weird accent.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Getting them or not getting them are great options as standalone choices, as is slowly going to get them or faking getting them. Personal preference/experimentation will help you figure out which you like to do more. But it's all in balance, so if you end up preferring to go in hard and pressure, then they can always expect it so you have to mix in some defense/slower pacing sometimes. Without more specifics I'm not sure I could say more, but I hope this helps.

Wall Of SPain

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee So basically the most important thing is that I have the advantage, so just like in neutral I should observe and see if they act really quick to get out, or if they dashdance and wait, and act properly, kind of like another neutral where I can play Rock Paper Scissors and see what they throw out to throw what beats them?

That really helped, it cant be more specific because im trying to tackle this whole part at once which is a mistake, but meh mistakes are sometimes good.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee What do you think...is a fundamental, specifically in Melee, (though maybe the answer won't be specific to Melee) that can help any player improve? Something that someone would say "Oh I used to only do this when I was a beginner, I don't need to practice it any more" but yet, if they sit down and practice it, they'll find that they really aren't quite good at it as they thought they were.

I thought about this myself and thought, what if it was Dash Dance? Well...what if you play a character who doesn't rely much on dash dance at all like Ice Climbers. Could it be spacing certain key moves that you want to use to accomplish small wins within a game? Spacing? Maybe there isn't just one answer.

Right now I'm thinking the answer could be something like: You have the bread and butter moves your character has, and you practice those out of certain movement options which are good for your character. Which could tie into the awareness thing. You'd practice to dash dance with just an extra dash and then grab.

Anyone else please do feel free to chip in thoughts as well. I'm still thinking about this lol

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The biggest reward for the least effort pretty much any player should be working on is punish game. Namely comboing and edgeguarding.

In terms of what they will see they need working on when sitting down, everyone playing this game could stand working on basic techniques such as wavedash.

Fundamentals is a broad category and I believe there are many of them it takes to succeed. I haven't fully organized my list yet so I don't put them out there often.

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Hi, Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

I have been studying Marth vs Falcon recently, and I would like to here your experiences about punishing Falcon.

1. A lot of the time when I watch Marth vs Falcon, Marth players tend to drop lots of tech chases and seem to struggle punishing Falcon off of up throw. In addition, they also struggle with edgeguarding. My question is this: Is Falcon really the escape artist that I see, or are the Marths that I watch not fully confident in their punishes and edgeguarding?
  2. Do you have any suggestions about who I should watch for punishes? Dart! is often hailed as the gold standard in the match-up, but I've heard S2J comment on his Twitch channel that Dart! has a lot of unpredictable and unexpected nuances in his game.
  3. What do you think of Dart! overall in the matchup (neutral, DI, punishes, and edgeguarding)?
I'm pretty sure that this question has already been asked: What do you think it will take for M2K to branch out his Marth to the more unfamiliar matchups?
Thank you! :p

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
1. The Marths are bad at punishing Falcon. Tech chasing him is pretty easy and you just need to learn uthrow percents.

2. Yeah you can watch Dart.

3. Has some good ideas but his inefficiencies hold him back greatly.

It would take nerfing the unfamiliar characters rofl

Kebin

Smash Rookie
Hey PP, first off I'd like to thank you for all the knowledge you've been assisting us with. I've been following this thread for a long time now and most of the things you've said have struck a chord in me and have made the game much clearer. However, there's been one thing that I can't seem to come to find an answer for no matter how many hours I spend thinking on it. I've found one of my biggest areas where I'm failing to punish my opponents (generally vs Fox/Falco/Sheik) as Marth are when they're using full hop/top platform approaches and spacing back airs.

Once my opponent see's that they usually continue to use that option to keep me on the corners of the stage, using top platforms to their advantage and I have a hard time taking stage control. I've tried running to them, shielding the aerial, and then trying to grab, but I'm generally getting out-spaced and they're just right out of grab range. Maybe I need to be closer, but at that point they could just fall behind my shield and I'd whiff punish. Marth excels when his opponents are above him, especially in the Sheik match-up since that's where I want her, but her hurtbox distortion with bair always makes me end up whiffing fair and taking the hit to the face.

I want my opponents to respect my ability to keep them above me and not seeing the air as their free pass to push me back. I've been thinking maybe running to where I think they'll fall to and doing sh uair/nair and then holding center? Even after that, I'm not too sure since I may end up having my back to them again. From there it's throw out another move in case they try to come down or dash away to avoid their attempt on punishing the aerial but then I let them back down. As you can see I'm at a loss for how to regain my advantage without forcing it and taking unnecessary percentage. Any guidance with how to start tackling this problem would help out a ton. Thanks so much in advance!

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Hey PP, first off I'd like to thank you for all the knowledge you've been assisting us with. I've been following this thread for a long time now and most of the things you've said have struck a chord in me and have made the game much clearer. However, there's been one thing that I can't seem to come to find an answer for no matter how many hours I spend thinking on it. I've found one of my biggest areas where I'm failing to punish my opponents (generally vs Fox/Falco/Sheik) as Marth are when they're using full hop/top platform approaches and spacing back airs.

Once my opponent see's that they usually continue to use that option to keep me on the corners of the stage, using top platforms to their advantage and I have a hard time taking stage control. I've tried running to them, shielding the aerial, and then trying to grab, but I'm generally getting out-spaced and they're just right out of grab range. Maybe I need to be closer, but at that point they could just fall behind my shield and I'd whiff punish. Marth excels when his opponents are above him, especially in the Sheik match-up since that's where I want her, but her hurtbox distortion with bair always makes me end up whiffing fair and taking the hit to the face.

I want my opponents to respect my ability to keep them above me and not seeing the air as their free pass to push me back. I've been thinking maybe running to where I think they'll fall to and doing sh uair/nair and then holding center? Even after that, I'm not too sure since I may end up having my back to them again. From there it's throw out another move in case they try to come down or dash away to avoid their attempt on punishing the aerial but then I let them back down. As you can see I'm at a loss for how to regain my advantage without forcing it and taking unnecessary percentage. Any guidance with how to start tackling this problem would help out a ton. Thanks so much in advance!
PP may have some better advice for you but i can give you some ideas.

for just full hop approaches, you should be spaced so that you can react to the full hop without being hit by an early rising aerial. after that its about getting under them. i like using utilt to catch them before their hitbox can reach me in this scenario. specifically i like spacing myself so that id be hitting them with tipper utilt at about a 50 degree angle from the direction marth's facing, this allows a little room horizontally as well as vertically.

If you're worried about them double jumping and punishing (spacies might be able to) then i think the best answer is to DD as close to where theyre going to land as you can and still have their aerial whiff. this doesnt leave you stuck in shield and puts them on the defensive because theyll be in landing lag as you dash in to punish. if you wont make it to punish their landing (i.e. they dont use an aerial) then theyre still at a disadvantage and will be susceptible to your tipper moves and will likely have to give up space in order to avoid getting hit. you can use this to corner them.

for top platform camping you again need to make sure youre spaced in such a way that youre not close enough to get hit with an aerial as they drop from the platform but not far enough away that you cant punish them for it. its a neutral interaction that they have plenty of mixups for when coming down, but its important that youre not giving up center stage since its the better of the two positions, especially for marth. personally i like to space myself so that im half a platform length from where theyre standing on the top platform. if theyre on the left edge of the top platform then i'll DD on the ground from the absolute center of the stage to about the right edge of the top platform. while DDing there im watching for them to drop down so i can move in further to pressure the space theyre trying to secure on the ground. this will allow you to either fair them as they fall or dtilt them when they land.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee ive also got a question for you PP. i remember you telling me that i need to use more compound approaches when i asked how to improve my approach game. ive been giving it a lot of thought and still find myself having trouble getting in on campy players. generally people i play with will tell me that i need to work on mixing up my approach when i ask for advice. this has led me to realize that compound approaches makes sense to me in an abstract way, but feels too vague in my mind in terms of application. Im unsure if this is just something that must be learned over time, but if theres any thoughts you could give me in expanding on what a compound approach might look like to you id very much appreciate it.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You have to look at what you're getting beaten by to use compound approaches. Do you get beaten after running straight in? What about after backing up then running in? Maybe it's your final option choice like approaching Nair that is the problem. I can't know based on this.

What I can tell you is about intention theory. You only need to worry about three levels of intent.

For the first level, it's running straight at the guy, let's say with Dtilt. If he's also on first intent then he beats your Dtilt by jumping over and hitting you or something like that.

For the second, it's faking as if you were going to run in, and then moving back and then running in with Dtilt/Fair. They will be trying to punish your first approach if you had them think you would be on first intent and then you would hit them.

For the third intent, we start with moving in again, then moving back. This time however if we move forward again like in second intent only slightly or stop in place so that the whiff of the second intent punish happens, then we can move forward with the third intent.

You won't always see them swing but they may move back to dodge your incoming attack, or move in if it looks like you're presenting an opening. The most important thing is you understand what they're confirming to make their decision.

I imagine this explanation will need some clarifying so if anyone has questions about it let me know.

AirFair

Marth tho
You have to look at what you're getting beaten by to use compound approaches. Do you get beaten after running straight in? What about after backing up then running in? Maybe it's your final option choice like approaching Nair that is the problem. I can't know based on this.

What I can tell you is about intention theory. You only need to worry about three levels of intent.

For the first level, it's running straight at the guy, let's say with Dtilt. If he's also on first intent then he beats your Dtilt by jumping over and hitting you or something like that.

For the second, it's faking as if you were going to run in, and then moving back and then running in with Dtilt/Fair. They will be trying to punish your first approach if you had them think you would be on first intent and then you would hit them.

For the third intent, we start with moving in again, then moving back. This time however if we move forward again like in second intent only slightly or stop in place so that the whiff of the second intent punish happens, then we can move forward with the third intent.

You won't always see them swing but they may move back to dodge your incoming attack, or move in if it looks like you're presenting an opening. The most important thing is you understand what they're confirming to make their decision.

I imagine this explanation will need some clarifying so if anyone has questions about it let me know.
I can see how this might tie into strings of movement that could build on intent.
A string I like to use is short dash forward, short dash back, long dash forward (this can become a rc dtilt or wd dtilt)

Based on the intention theory, I think that the short dash forward could fulfill the first level, as it can be used to get within an opponents threatening zone, and threaten a fair/grab maybe?
The short/long dash back depending on their reaction to the forward dash can be used to fulfill the second level, because it leads into the longer dash forward most likely followed by a dtilt.
The third level of intent can come with establishing your threats, and when you do go for that long dash forward, you can interrupt it in order to punish them.

Have I interpreted it correctly? I feel like I could make some changes to the string above as well, but it's seemed to be working pretty well for me, I just need to work more on spacing.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah that's more or less right. Combining intent and compound movement is how you play the game but that intersection takes a lot of time to understand. I would say focusing on intent theory and fundamentals of the character would be a better start than worrying too much about compound movement.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Is this what you may be getting at when you say that you're pretty much always effecting your opponent? Because I think what I was having trouble with understanding was something like..."They're not swinging, so I think my intentions aren't having any effect on them!" But then I read you say "You understand what they're confirming to make their decision". Yeah, this is something that's definitely opening my eyes a bit wider. Because I seemed to think that they had to swing for me to feel like I'm effecting them. Which probably isn't always the case. If Fox decides to come in at me with a Nair and I get hit by it, well, I must have given them confirmation that somewhere in my neutral, I had given them what they were looking for...

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah absolutely, waiting is even a response to some actions. But yeah you should assume that when you're doing actions that your opponent is responding to them as much as possible. When I say I'm always influencing my opponent, this means that even my small actions have large consequences(even if they look small) as a result of very internalized fundamentals.

Kebin

Smash Rookie

This totally makes sense. I'm guessing as of right now I'm not actively trying put each puzzle piece together and just blindly picking an option hoping that it'll work. It'll be hard but I'm going to try and be more aware of different interactions that happen with my opponent. Right now the big take away from all of this is exercising patience. Much appreciated everyone.

Taytertot

Smash Ace

this is actually awesome thank you. i had never thought of it as being so structured and figured it was more of an abstract idea where you'd get a feel for an opponent just because youve had enough experience to know how their playstyle might react though im sure there are some things one might be able to infer based on one's playstyle but that seems like thered be a lot of potential error there.

so as far as intention theory goes, im curious where testing opponents comes in? what i mean is doing things like dash in dtilt to see if their DD camping is honest enough to react to the approach or if its become a little mindless or other things of that nature. maybe better examples being how they like to get out of the corner or what type of pressure makes them roll, etc.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You see how they respond and what their intent level is when they do so. So if they jump over your dash in Dtilt, then you just need to dash back after your dash in next time since they are on level one for that response and you'll get an easy grab or counterattack by going to level two.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Yeah absolutely, waiting is even a response to some actions. But yeah you should assume that when you're doing actions that your opponent is responding to them as much as possible. When I say I'm always influencing my opponent, this means that even my small actions have large consequences(even if they look small) as a result of very internalized fundamentals.
So now I'm thinking about some approaches to take while learning this. I'm thinking about the process that one can take when practicing execution, for example practicing Falco short hop laser wavedash back, taking it slow at first then gradually building speed, getting it consciously then eventually subconsciously. Because, correct me if I'm wrong, I think if someone just goes in to a game and is playing their opponent very quickly, maybe they are having some success (depending on the opponent), but they could be glossing over very fine details or not seeing habits that they have because they're playing at a speed that it just becomes lost in the flurry of inputs. (This is coming from something someone pointed out to me about my own play). However, if an individual takes the time to build up speed when practicing to understand how their move choices are in some way effecting their opponent, maybe realizing, "Oh, I have the speed but every time I do a neutral air from this specific spacing I tend to always down tilt right after I land. That's why they aren't falling for it, even though I'm going fast. That sort of move just isn't efficient here most likely". Then you could build up speed with a new found understanding of these minor details.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is exactly right. This is why going slowly in training is the best thing to do to build confidence and connection with the game and techniques. If you do this then you'll understand more and be able to react quickly while moving quickly. Failure to practice will just leave you going fast and blindly hoping as you said.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly right. This is why going slowly in training is the best thing to do to build confidence and connection with the game and techniques. If you do this then you'll understand more and be able to react quickly while moving quickly. Failure to practice will just leave you going fast and blindly hoping as you said.
So..to tie this into respect or come full circle with all of this...You couldn't have compound approaches without aiming to understand intention theory. You then couldn't have respect of the opponent without having both of these (?). For some players, focus is lost when they're hit by something in neutral by an opponent they think is worse than they are. But the whole point of all this would be, instead of falling back on, well, nothing, which could lead to frustration and therefor dropped focus, when the hit happens, you immediately fall back on this foundation you've built based on what you've learned or are learning, whether its currently conscious or subconscious (To really see the point of the moves you were picking). It gives you something to fall back on when learning, and in tournament. And it really isn't just "something". It's there, all the time, right in front of your very eyes. Real investment is required in those moments to get the most out of them, instead of trying to find some easy way out or gimmick (example: maybe I'll just play faster (Could have its exceptions, but any sort of thought that could distract from the point of this could work), if improvement is the goal.

And as its been said, it seems very impossible to immediately go and do all this very very very fast, much like, well, anything.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Respect of the opponent is based on many things but those are certainly some big ones for the reasons you listed.

Having a framework is the structure any player needs to feed into when facing adversity. What do I adjust instead of oh no I'm scared of losing. There's more going on here than just the game knowledge but that knowledge itself is really helpful.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Again, thank you for giving us all here something to think about. It's hard to express the gratitude I feel here at times with words like this, I just really appreciate it!

AirFair

Marth tho
^^ Agree with the above.
I feel like I might have gotten bogged down trying to make my movement a lot more efficient without actually understanding it very well first. On the bright side, it has taught me a lot about how I can use my dashes.

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
alright well i had a local yesterday, and although i went 2-1 in bracket and probably should have won both of the sets i lost, i was keeping it together much more then i usually do. i made my first 3 stock comeback and it was against a samus player. my mindset was so much better then its been. much thanks to everyone who has given me advice here.

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

When discussing Fox and stage picks, you remark that Yoshi's and DreamLand are Marth's worst stages in the match-up.
However, why do you think Fountain is not equally bad as both Yoshi's and DreamLand?
Do you think Marth's should use more ledge cancel aerials and down-tilt from platform to keep Fox at bay? If not, what do you think they should be doing? Do you think Marth can punish harder on FoD because FoD's platform allow for a higher # of tippers? Thanks.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm admittedly not very sure about FoD but it does seem better than the other two just from playing on it a lot. You're pretty much always under attack on the stage so advantage shifts really quickly and if Marth gets even a slight advantage Fox has nowhere to go usually and it magnifies. As for the neutral and how to get to that position, I'm less sure of it but you get help from there not being super long or high platforms and sometimes one or both of the platforms are gone which is always great for Marth. Edge canceling and platform dtilts are good but not something to overfocus on. Marth punishes way harder on FoD than DL and sometimes harder than YS I guess. The low platform tippers where Fsmash covers the whole platform are pretty helpful in this way, but also just Fox not being able to land on platforms during hitstun easily and then being offstage quickly sets up a good flow for Marth punish.

lokt

Smash Cadet
Yo Dr. PP,

I was watching your marth vs hungrybox and I realized that you never go for dash/boost grabs to catch puff crouching.

Do you think it's not worth the risk when you could just dtilt puff? Would you consider grabbing more if you had consistent pivot tippers?

thanks!

Top Bottom