• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
Why is "Infinite Pikmin" even a problem. Peach's Turnips were never infinite in Mario 2, and she can pull out as many as she wants in SSBM, so why should Oli's Pikmin have to run out. I think he should just be able to pull pikmin out of the ground anywhere he goes, as long as he's on the ground and as long as not too many pikmin are already on the field (I still go by my steadfast 20 Pikmin maximum, with a 100 Pikmin super move.)

Also, about the balance issues.

The only reason it wouldn't be balanced is if the devs said, "Hey, lets make this unbalanced." I happen to think that because Pikmin are so fragile, and because a good portion of Olimar's game is going to be spent picking new ones, it's only fair that they be so damaging in large swarms. This makes the objective of Olimar's opponent very clear, and actually leaves Olimar at a severe disadvantage against players and characters who can abuse his weakness(Pikmin die too quickly), like Cap. Falcon, Sheik, Ganondorf, or Fox, or anyone else with a long-range, low to the ground move.

Also, if you couple that with the fact that hes bound to have some pretty weak-sauce A moves (Owing to his small frame, and the effectiveness of the "Olimar punch" in the Pikmin games), his Pikmin skills would be almost a necessity, because of his reliance on the attack bonuses and B-moves.

I do like tossing Items (I play Peach f'Crissake, it's all I ever do) but I think it would be more interesting and indeed, truer to the original game to have the Pikmin as an army whose size is directly preportional to it's power, but is utterly fragile to balance it out. It would be utterly unique to the Smash experience, and make Olimar very fun to play.
i agree it would be fun, thats b.c. ur probaly kicking ur opponents a$$. besides i took down huge beasts with olimar and louie's punch. once u got the combo u could take the 2 guys and kill big enemies easily so u dont have to risk pikmin. and no, it will be unbalanced no matter what. even if u lost ur pikmin u could use ur A moves to make some distance and pluck some pikmin and then toss them at him to keep even more distance. also i think if u had pikmin covereing the stage and u had another olimar on the stage with pikmin everywhere ull wont know whos pikmin they r and it will be very confusing. i think if they didnt swarm like u say u want them too, itll be more balanced, much less confusing, and overall better. i think the thing i said about getting confused whos pikmin is whos is good enough to take that idea away.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
i agree it would be fun, thats b.c. ur probaly kicking ur opponents a$$. besides i took down huge beasts with olimar and louie's punch. once u got the combo u could take the 2 guys and kill big enemies easily so u dont have to risk pikmin. and no, it will be unbalanced no matter what. even if u lost ur pikmin u could use ur A moves to make some distance and pluck some pikmin and then toss them at him to keep even more distance. also i think if u had pikmin covereing the stage and u had another olimar on the stage with pikmin everywhere ull wont know whos pikmin they r and it will be very confusing. i think if they didnt swarm like u say u want them too, itll be more balanced, much less confusing, and overall better. i think the thing i said about getting confused whos pikmin is whos is good enough to take that idea away.
But thats only if Olimar's moves have the capacity to make acceptible distance, and the Pikmin don't have any knockback, and would be very easy to knock off of you. it would be very easy to approach Olimar with a jump-in, since Pikmin won't jump at you, You could damage him quite easily if Olimar is relying on his Pikmin too much. and also, Oli has to be extremely careful of his Pikmin, or any well-timed attack will decimate his entire population. Nearly every character has some kind of attack that can be used as a Pikmin Killer. Your problem is you keep looking at his strengths without considering his glaring weaknesses and I keep repeating myself.

Strengths - Pikmin do a bunch of damage in their full swarm. Pikmin will attack independantly of Olimar if enemies approach them in their "Idle" mode. Opponents must divide their attention between multiple targets.

Weaknesses - Olimar has relatively weak A moves with few "KO" moves, thus he relies on the big damage the Pikmin do. Pikmin die in one hit from anything. Pikmin can be shaken off with something as simple as rolling or air-dodging. singularly and Alone, Pikmin are useless, they must be swarmed, and they must be picked, thats at least 5 Peach Turnip picks of time before Olimar becomes even sortof useful.

Also, I think the Olimar Vs. Olimar fight would be extremely fun to play. If you're the sort of person who can keep track of 10+ Pikmin, then it would be fun to see two armies of Pikmin go at eachother (Remember, Pikmin would probably go after the other Pikmin first, before they can even get to the other Olimar). It would be easy to tell the two armies abart, just put a little hat on one army or something, or make one Olimar costume produce Buds and flowers, but with no real attack bonus. this all leaves the two Olimars open to wail on eachother normally. Olimar players (Or at least I) would absolutely love to fight other Olimars. I still stand by my moveset, and I stand by it more and more everytime I defend it.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I can't wait to play as Olimar in Brawl. He looks like such a fun character to play, with the pulling up Pikmin and all. I guess Nintendo will have to make him bigger, though, cuz in reality he's only like an inch tall.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
He should pick them as fast as peach's turnips. If pikmin die in one hit, imagine how bad it would be with sheik or fox's B move! Wait, if pikmin are so easy to kill, then in groups they would be pretty easy. Olimar shouldn't rely on his pikmin too much or his pikmin army would be quickly decimated. A very skilled Olimar could leave pikmin in places for traps, could aim just right to hurt an opponent coming back to the stage, and can do most things without his pikmin. BTW, if Olimar had no pikmin and he used a B move that involved pikmin, what would happen?

EDIT: It would probably be hard to get to the maximum of 20. Pikmin should be weak by themselves.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
But thats only if Olimar's moves have the capacity to make acceptible distance, and the Pikmin don't have any knockback, and would be very easy to knock off of you. it would be very easy to approach Olimar with a jump-in, since Pikmin won't jump at you, You could damage him quite easily if Olimar is relying on his Pikmin too much. and also, Oli has to be extremely careful of his Pikmin, or any well-timed attack will decimate his entire population. Nearly every character has some kind of attack that can be used as a Pikmin Killer. Your problem is you keep looking at his strengths without considering his glaring weaknesses and I keep repeating myself.

Strengths - Pikmin do a bunch of damage in their full swarm. Pikmin will attack independantly of Olimar if enemies approach them in their "Idle" mode. Opponents must divide their attention between multiple targets.

Weaknesses - Olimar has relatively weak A moves with few "KO" moves, thus he relies on the big damage the Pikmin do. Pikmin die in one hit from anything. Pikmin can be shaken off with something as simple as rolling or air-dodging. singularly and Alone, Pikmin are useless, they must be swarmed, and they must be picked, thats at least 5 Peach Turnip picks of time before Olimar becomes even sortof useful.

Also, I think the Olimar Vs. Olimar fight would be extremely fun to play. If you're the sort of person who can keep track of 10+ Pikmin, then it would be fun to see two armies of Pikmin go at eachother (Remember, Pikmin would probably go after the other Pikmin first, before they can even get to the other Olimar). It would be easy to tell the two armies abart, just put a little hat on one army or something, or make one Olimar costume produce Buds and flowers, but with no real attack bonus. this all leaves the two Olimars open to wail on eachother normally. Olimar players (Or at least I) would absolutely love to fight other Olimars. I still stand by my moveset, and I stand by it more and more everytime I defend it.
why would it be fun to lose ur pikmin b.c. the other pikmin r killing it?
oh and i think his A moves r good in pikmin 2, and apparently u want to stand true to the game so his A moves would be relatively good.
and the hat thing...no... and having buds and flowers but no attack bonus is even worse bc. it would be confusing b.c. u dont know if its got a bonus or not. and even if pikmin r easy to kill some r BOUND to get on u, and then after that... ur deadmeat b.. ur pikmin system is way too unbalanced.
and u dwelling on his weaknesses all the time actually makes u sound as if he would be fun but a horrible character, so uh... stop being so negtive!!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
how would olimar's a moves work anyway? all we know is olimar does this 3 punch attack in pikmin 2. would he have them revolve around pikmin or have his own attacks? maybe pikmin should take a few hits to knock out rather than 1 so olimar won't be powered down when his attacks use the pikmin. otherwise, someone like fox can knock them all out in one hit.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
oh and i think his A moves r good in pikmin 2, and apparently u want to stand true to the game so his A moves would be relatively good.
and the hat thing...no... and having buds and flowers but no attack bonus is even worse bc. it would be confusing b.c. u dont know if its got a bonus or not. and even if pikmin r easy to kill some r BOUND to get on u, and then after that... ur deadmeat b.. ur pikmin system is way too unbalanced.
and u dwelling on his weaknesses all the time actually makes u sound as if he would be fun but a horrible character, so uh... stop being so negtive!!
What? I don't even know what your talking about anymore.
In Oli Vs. Oli, At the same time his Pikmin are killing your Pikmin, your Pikmin are conversely killing his Pikmin, so it evens out and makes for an interesting matchup.
Having Buds and flowers would only be confusing to easily confused idiots if it's only a cosmetic thing.
His A moves in Pikmin 2 are better than his A moves in Pikmin 1, but thats only because there are two captains attacking at once. they are still quite weak.
Yes Pikmin ARE bound to get on opponents, but what are one or two Pikmin going to do?

I'm only dwelling on his weaknesses because you keep harping on how unbalanced my system is. You say that, and I refute with some ways that it in fact is NOT unbalanced, and in fact balances out very well, and now you try to call me on being too negative about my own character.

Jeeze, the character I made up is a concept that I would enjoy playing, would enjoy becoming familiar with the ins and outs of, and would just love to have around because of some things it genuinely gives it's player, genuine Pliable strategy, and honest to god unique playstyle. There are so many things you could do with the 20-Pikmin Swarm, and with the 10, 5, and even 1 pikmin swarm, and the best part is that there are also just as many ways that those strategies could go wrong. Playing as Olimar means you can't just charge head-on into the path of a well-aimed B move, you have to be tricky. Fighting an Olimar would amount to fighting a sort of Multi-headed monster, It's easy to cut off some heads, but if you're not careful you'll be consumed by the beast.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
YOU HAVE REALLY PISSED ME OFF! YOU MAKE IT SOUND AS IF GETTING SOME PIKMIN ON YOU IS THE END OF THE WORLD! HERE ARE YOUR FAULTS:
1) This is flaming.
2) Pikmin are not unbalanced by the fact that killing them is so easy. The 20 Pikmin maximum would be hard to get to, as long as your opponent keeps an eye on your pikmin level. The only way you could be massacred from a bunch of silly Pikmin would be if you wiggled the control stick like a sloth.
3) Use correct grammar, you look like an idiot doing that gibberish.
4) WTF!? Negative?! You are the one being pessimistic! I'll subtract your rep for all of this! I have no idea what it does but it sounds bad.

Olimar would be my fun character, not for winning, but annoying! Throwing a bunch of Pikmin on someone and having them bonk him would make anyone with a sense of pride go haywire!

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Yes I agree with you gigayoshi. Olimar himself was stronger in Pikmin 2 than 1 without Louie, he had that triple punch that you could get and it inflicted a good deal of damage actually if you got it off right. Olimar has several move possibilities and is very unique don't dis Olimar.
Olimar could use the sprays that he gets from the berries or they could be creative with the whistle and do something new with that.

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:

Nailed it right there, good job. I think that plus my probabilities would be awesome. I dont like the idea of using bud and flowers for differentiation, but I DO love the idea of hats or something. I should give you rep for that, lmao, well, nonetheless, great collection of ideas dot.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
What? I don't even know what your talking about anymore.
In Oli Vs. Oli, At the same time his Pikmin are killing your Pikmin, your Pikmin are conversely killing his Pikmin, so it evens out and makes for an interesting matchup.
Having Buds and flowers would only be confusing to easily confused idiots if it's only a cosmetic thing.
His A moves in Pikmin 2 are better than his A moves in Pikmin 1, but thats only because there are two captains attacking at once. they are still quite weak.
Yes Pikmin ARE bound to get on opponents, but what are one or two Pikmin going to do?

I'm only dwelling on his weaknesses because you keep harping on how unbalanced my system is. You say that, and I refute with some ways that it in fact is NOT unbalanced, and in fact balances out very well, and now you try to call me on being too negative about my own character.

Jeeze, the character I made up is a concept that I would enjoy playing, would enjoy becoming familiar with the ins and outs of, and would just love to have around because of some things it genuinely gives it's player, genuine Pliable strategy, and honest to god unique playstyle. There are so many things you could do with the 20-Pikmin Swarm, and with the 10, 5, and even 1 pikmin swarm, and the best part is that there are also just as many ways that those strategies could go wrong. Playing as Olimar means you can't just charge head-on into the path of a well-aimed B move, you have to be tricky. Fighting an Olimar would amount to fighting a sort of Multi-headed monster, It's easy to cut off some heads, but if you're not careful you'll be consumed by the beast.
uh... thats the thing though, once u got some pikmin on u ur dmg percentage will go high fast and if u get an A move in no matter how weak his punches r ull go flying
oh and giayoshi... DAAAAAAAAMMMMNNN!! im typing like this b.c. its just a forum its like icq and its alright to type shorter versions of words so like saying wtf in the short version which i just did is similair to that.
oh no!! not my rep!!! oh my gosh!! my WHOLE life is ruined!!! dude u got problems. and the negative thing, it was a joke, and ur acting like a little ***** srry to say (srry for language) and no matter how much they watch ur pikm in lvl as long as u keep them away with ur punches its alright to pluck
SO GO AHEAD AND DEDUCT FROM MY REP B.C. THIS IS JUST A BOARD THAT U SAY OPINIONS ON, NOT GO CRYING LIKE A ***** B.C. I MADE U MAD B.C. I DPNT AGREE WITH WAT U SAY dam... im arguing with dotdotdot here and ur not involved in it and expecially when ur acting like a baby so stfu

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
uh... thats the thing though, once u got some pikmin on u ur dmg percentage will go high fast and if u get an A move in no matter how weak his punches r ull go flying
oh and giayoshi... DAAAAAAAAMMMMNNN!! im typing like this b.c. its just a forum its like icq and its alright to type shorter versions of words so like saying wtf in the short version which i just did is similair to that.
oh no!! not my rep!!! oh my gosh!! my WHOLE life is ruined!!! dude u got problems. and the negative thing, it was a joke, and ur acting like a little ***** srry to say (srry for language) and no matter how much they watch ur pikm in lvl as long as u keep them away with ur punches its alright to pluck
SO GO AHEAD AND DEDUCT FROM MY REP B.C. THIS IS JUST A BOARD THAT U SAY OPINIONS ON, NOT GO CRYING LIKE A ***** B.C. I MADE U MAD B.C. I DPNT AGREE WITH WAT U SAY dam... im arguing with dotdotdot here and ur not involved in it and expecially when ur acting like a baby so stfu
A little Internet lesson here:

Sarcasm and little zingers don't work on the internet. I can't read the inflections of your voice nor can I understand how the joke should be read. It's just words on a screen.

Also, the Pikmin on you would be able to be shaken off easily. It's not like Olimar is infallible. Lets play a game. How about whenever you think that my Olimar (Or any character concept)is somehow broken, you think of a constructive way in which it could be fixed that doesn't fly against the basic concept.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
A little Internet lesson here:

Sarcasm and little zingers don't work on the internet. I can't read the inflections of your voice nor can I understand how the joke should be read. It's just words on a screen.

Also, the Pikmin on you would be able to be shaken off easily. It's not like Olimar is infallible. Lets play a game. How about whenever you think that my Olimar (Or any character concept)is somehow broken, you think of a constructive way in which it could be fixed that doesn't fly against the basic concept.
yes but to shake them off will leave u wide open a little bit and could get hit again. and the dmg will build up quite fast. much faster then my concept and why doesnt it have to be basic concept, ur concept is not even close to basic. i picture ur moveset on a match (for some reason against captain falcon) and with a combination of punches and pikmn u wuped his a$$. i pictured mine and it seemed a little more familiar and even though i picture olimar winning, it wasnt as much as an a$$ wupin like urs was. even with captain falcons spped if u pluck one or two before he gets to u just fend him off with ur punc hes so u get time to get more pikmin and ur just ended up building up a lot of dmg even as weak as u say his punches should be they could knock the oppoenent away easily oh well lets not fill this thread of arguments and flames, lets just discuss him b.c. its noticeble were stuborn enough to keep doing this for ever.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom said:
yes but to shake them off will leave u wide open a little bit and could get hit again. and the dmg will build up quite fast. much faster then my concept and why doesnt it have to be basic concept, ur concept is not even close to basic. i picture ur moveset on a match (for some reason against captain falcon) and with a combination of punches and pikmn u wuped his a$$. i pictured mine and it seemed a little more familiar and even though i picture olimar winning, it wasnt as much as an a$$ wupin like urs was. even with captain falcons spped if u pluck one or two before he gets to u just fend him off with ur punc hes so u get time to get more pikmin and ur just ended up building up a lot of dmg even as weak as u say his punches should be they could knock the oppoenent away easily oh well lets not fill this thread of arguments and flames, lets just discuss him b.c. its noticeble were stuborn enough to keep doing this for ever.
Okay, I got what you were saying towards the beginning, but towards the middle your message got a little jumbled. I'm starting to think that this isn't worth my time.

What did your Captain Falcon do? do nothing but walk around trying to jab Olimar into submission? Why didn't Falcon Blow Olimar away with his Air superiority? Why didn't he take advantage of Olimar's relatively weak recovery (A recovery that basically kills all of the pikmin currently not in 'Idle' mode)? Did Falcon just sit back and let Olimar build up his full army, and if so, why didn't he try keeping Oli from picking Pikmin and forcing him to fight him straight? What stage were they on? Was it Final Destination? If it was, then Olimar has a clear disadvantage in very little room to manuver his Pikmin to get them out of danger. Please don't think that I haven't though of what can and cannot go wrong with My Olimar Concept.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
dotdotdot! said:
Okay, I got what you were saying towards the beginning, but towards the middle your message got a little jumbled. I'm starting to think that this isn't worth my time.

What did your Captain Falcon do? do nothing but walk around trying to jab Olimar into submission? Why didn't Falcon Blow Olimar away with his Air superiority? Why didn't he take advantage of Olimar's relatively weak recovery (A recovery that basically kills all of the pikmin currently not in 'Idle' mode)? Did Falcon just sit back and let Olimar build up his full army, and if so, why didn't he try keeping Oli from picking Pikmin and forcing him to fight him straight? What stage were they on? Was it Final Destination? If it was, then Olimar has a clear disadvantage in very little room to manuver his Pikmin to get them out of danger. Please don't think that I haven't though of what can and cannot go wrong with My Olimar Concept.
i think im smart enough to have falcon not be like a lvl 5 cpu lol i c him charging olimar constantly and not like a stupid cpu. and it was the N64 yoshi stage

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
I think of after you shake off pikmin they would take as long to get up again as in Pikmin 2 and the lag from shaking them off would be nonexistant. That way you could easily kill almost all of the Pikmin before they could attack you again. It would also making use of Pikmin riskier since a lot of Pikmin would be lost attacking people. Try going up on an Empress Bulbax's side and throw Pikmin on it. By the time your Pikmin got up all of them would be flattened. Unless of course you whistle-cancel, which should not be in Brawl and anyway only most of your Pikmin would die. By the way, how much more rep do I have to spread around before I can subtract from your rep again? :chuckle:

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
gigayoshi said:
I think of after you shake off pikmin they would take as long to get up again as in Pikmin 2 and the lag from shaking them off would be nonexistant. That way you could easily kill almost all of the Pikmin before they could attack you again. It would also making use of Pikmin riskier since a lot of Pikmin would be lost attacking people. Try going up on an Empress Bulbax's side and throw Pikmin on it. By the time your Pikmin got up all of them would be flattened. Unless of course you whistle-cancel, which should not be in Brawl and anyway only most of your Pikmin would die. By the way, how much more rep do I have to spread around before I can subtract from your rep again? :chuckle:
all the aliens on pikmin games shake them off, but they have to shake first, so... yes. and when u say there should be no whistle, it cancels out dotdotdot!'s moveset b.c. his is about calling and raiding foes with pikmin. and ur last sentence PUH-lease! im just a smash bros fan that wants to kill some time discussing it, i dont care about my rep

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
:bigthumbu Yeah sounds great! I want as many characters as possible. I don't care who they are. (Except any Fox characters :ouch: ) But what do you have against 3rd party characters!?

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
I said there would be no whistle CANCEL. I think that dotdotdot's moveset is perfect. Totally balanced and thought out.

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
LilNess said:
I say add Olimar, his B-moves could invole pikmin and stuff
Really late on that comment... multiple movesets have been made using Pikmin, and many discussions about the Pikmin have already taken place in here. Though what you say is true...

Dr.Ice_Falco

Smash Rookie
Captain Olimar would be a fantastic idea for this game, but are you not forgetting something... he is about the size of a quarter according to the Pikmin Instruction booklet

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dr.Ice_Falco said:
Captain Olimar would be a fantastic idea for this game, but are you not forgetting something... he is about the size of a quarter according to the Pikmin Instruction booklet
Actually, we did remember this little detail. And we talked about it. Also we think it is a moot point since the same general principle is true of Kirby(Something like 6 inches to a foot tall).

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Wouldn't he be cooler if he was tiny? He could have hundreds of little pikmin mob one character with him being difficult to see and attack. Like little parasites...

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
Wouldn't he be cooler if he was tiny? He could have hundreds of little pikmin mob one character with him being difficult to see and attack. Like little parasites...
No, I do not want Olimar really small.

By the way, Meta, I think you are being so annoying because you keep insisting Olimar is bad and keep bringing up problems we have already solved. Oh yeah, and I guess you ARE allowed to type like an idiot. :psycho:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
That would be completely ignoring the concept of a B move-an original attack based off of the character and/or his game.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
gigayoshi said:
I thought of something, what if he had no pikmin but did a B move anyway?
Either he does nothing, or he tries to do the move anyway and lags a bit without causing any damage.

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Is this thread becoming dead? Hey! That rhymes! We should find something to talk about, like how Olimar would be fun!

P.S. Look at my profile picture!

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
i was wondering where this thread went... and im too lazy to search for it... anyways, ive permanantly narrowed my list for character wants down to Geno and Olimar as a top priorty. I also had the idea that maybe Olimar could use those berry sprays from Pikmin 2. he could suepr charge his pikmin, or turn some1 into stone temporarily. i dunno if that has alrdy been mentionaed though.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
This would ruin the game completely nobody likes Pikmin there pikminish.
Pikminish?

Well its an ok game and I know its popular but Captain Olimer seems like a bad choice to me. He really doesnt have any attacks other then the Pikmin. The pikmin would be annoying even if they are yours.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Yeah Pikminish you got a problem with my adjetives, but your right it wasn't the worse gae ever and still no to Olimar and Pikmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom