• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Olimar *****es.

Rocann

Smash Lord
My first reaction to playing Olimar:

Killer combos. Nair/utilt/uair are like interchangeable, and then if you just bait an airdodge, you get it all over again.

More fun to play. You can no longer just run about shieldgrabbing because of all the shieldstun, and with the hitstun, you can get gimped even more easily. It's rough to start a combo, and you've got to be absolutely explosive when you hit someone and not let them out.

No more deteriorating moves. Hello, usmash usmash usmash ad nauseum/infinitum.

His bad matchups got way easier (except Marth.) Someone like Peach who runs him over with dair now has to look out for the utilt. It beats dair, but in normal brawl that's it. Not a big deal. Now you can give them like 70% after that.

This will turn into more of a guide, I'm sure. Just get talking. In short:

shanus

Smash Hero
In the latest Beta nightly build I made a little bit of tweaks to olimar in the latest set.

1. I made his DACUS useful. Seriously, you'll probably splooge all over the wall when you see how good it is.

2. I differentiated his pikmin on his upB a bit. It overall hits a little harder, but each has a bit of a specialty now which is a nice change.

Metatitan

Smash Master
In the latest Beta nightly build I made a little bit of tweaks to olimar in the latest set.

1. I made his DACUS useful. Seriously, you'll probably splooge all over the wall when you see how good it is.

2. I differentiated his pikmin on his upB a bit. It overall hits a little harder, but each has a bit of a specialty now which is a nice change.
nice way to describe their reaction shanus

RoboTek

Smash Rookie
First reaction is that is he worse off overall because of how easy he is to murder. Realistically he is very poor at dealing with combo-attacks, and the easy in which many opponents can defend the edge now makes his already poor recovery horrifying.

Strategy now revolves around preventing them from comboing you off the edge and focusing upon racking up the damage and killing them with the up-smash.

Does anyone have any way at all to deal with how fragile he is in this version? It is not unusual from what I have seen to kill him after one combo sends him off the edge.

shanus

Smash Hero
First reaction is that is he worse off overall because of how easy he is to murder. Realistically he is very poor at dealing with combo-attacks, and the easy in which many opponents can defend the edge now makes his already poor recovery horrifying.

Strategy now revolves around preventing them from comboing you off the edge and focusing upon racking up the damage and killing them with the up-smash.

Does anyone have any way at all to deal with how fragile he is in this version? It is not unusual from what I have seen to kill him after one combo sends him off the edge.
Step 1. Pluck Pikmin

Step 2. Abuse dthrow / uthrow at low percent dependent on opponent gravity

Steo 3. Abuse all classic combos such as dthrow upsmash (or now the sexy DACUS upsmash) into uairs to upB dependent on color type

Play it smart, nairs have more versatility now, etc etc.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

Olimar makes up for whatever recovery issues he has by being an absolute tank on stage.

His grab game is amazing, and so is his actual grab, he has a great combo game, a great camping game, he kills early, and his recovery is fairly easy to work around especially with the super armor on his whistle which allows him to freely pass through a lot of gimp attempts. He also can just throw a Purple to free up the edge or attack the edge hogger and then Up B to gimp them instead.

He is pretty hard to combo with his tiny frame and floatiness and again he can whistle his way out of tight situations at the cost of whatever percent he takes during super armor which is totally worth it considering your opponent won't be able to follow up anymore.

He has a great defensive game with his crazy pivot grab and Purple Pikmin, he has an amazing camping game, a powerful offensive game, and a plethora of killing options. (and I did splooge when I saw his new DACUS)

And if you are getting stuck in combos and sent off the stage immediately, DI better >_>

V-K

Smash Ace
Common, lag after Smash needed.
People can just keep hitting the C Stick to throw Pikmin and make hard dmg thats gay. :ohwell:

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
People can just keep hitting the C Stick to throw Pikmin and make hard dmg thats gay. :ohwell:
Exactly. Olimar has ridiculous range, let alone for his size. And you know how most characters can't attack opponents at an angle without including a simple jump? Olimar is one of the few who can via Pikmin Chain. Whoever made sure Olimar is/needs to be a Cheap Wimp needs to be strung up and shot. Period.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Dear this thread,

I hate Olimar and am VERY biased against how he fights. No other character scares the **** out of me when I play him like this ****** does. This is mostly do to his running away from you to camp with his obnoxious Side-B, or to pivet grab you out of most of your aerials.

Thankfully, I'm mostly too pro for Olimar, therefore I win.

Signed, the guy who hates you. =]

V-K

Smash Ace
Olimar is ridiculous.
I don´t understand why people don´t fix that stupid fsmash. What about a bit lag?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You must've never played a Luigi or other high-priority character. A lot of aerials outright beat Oli's low-priority smashes. Sometimes you have to pivot-grab, THEN C-stick :)

shanus

Smash Hero
Anyone who complains about olimar and the c-stick clearly has no experience against olimar.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
TSON, that made no sense. I have mentioned a few times that I played the only Olimar in Vegas in tourney quite a few times. I played him back in the day of vBrawl and beat his Olimar with Dedede. My current record against him in Brawl+ is like 2-2, even. It hasn't changed recently because I stopped going to Game World for tournaments because I'm really tired of only 6-7 entrants in Brawl+.

Sometimes I fight him and I ***** bad. I don't even know what he did sometimes because it feels like he bull****ted me too fast. Other times I **** him fast and he doesn't know what hit him.

Fighting Olimar isn't fun, and I don't like it. He scares, probably the most, when I'm Wario. I've beaten the Olimar player with Wario, but it's really close and scary.

Veril

Frame Savant
Anyone who complains about c-stick clearly has no experience against the c-stick.
This thread should be renamed something that reflects the true source of Olimar's terrible power.

He's mad cute though, and his combos are sexy. He still has the same flaws and strengths now as he pretty much always has, amazing camper, amazing on-stage game, golden c-stick, comically bad recovery. I could go on.

Olimar+ is really good, but has little representation. I'm not exactly losing any sleep over the little ****er being underplayed.

Go easy on the spam k guys. :mad:

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Olimar has a hard time with a few characters tho. Marth, Luigi, Diddy(imo), MK, Fox(maybe, probably even), Yoshi, Wolf(a campy wolf is a *****), and Pikachu(imo) just to name a few.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Olimar has a hard time with a few characters tho. Marth, Luigi, Diddy(imo), MK, Fox(maybe, probably even), Yoshi, Wolf(a campy wolf is a *****), and Pikachu(imo) just to name a few.
Thank god, since there are many characters that hate Olimar.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Olimar is one of those characters with highly polarized matchups, like G&W. He shuts down a lot of characters but also gets ***** by a few.

Top Bottom