• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Ha, I sorta expected jahkzheng to come in totalk about Krystal stuff.

That post halfly in full caps might be the biggest reaction I've seen so far, but I can assure you there had been more of these negative opinions.

Maybe the situation had improved since then, but I can still tell there are salty comments around the thread.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The treehouse footage of Star Fox Zero looked really cool, though I wish they'd just confirm Wolf already so we'd stop worrying about him. Who are your guy's top 3 most wanted characters after Wolf?
For me its
Krool

Pious

and Sami

So the DLC looks like this,
1.:4mewtwo:
2.:4lucas:
3.:4feroy:
4.:4ryu:
5.:wolf:
6.Krool
7.Pious
8.Sami
It's hard for me to pick new characters I actually want. For the most part I'm more focused on veterans, some of which we got already(Wolf is pretty much one of the last few veterans remaining that anyone truly cares about). But if I had to pick:

1: Dark Samus. Yeah I know, but some characters have dual roles even if they aren't playable, which might make the idea less far-fetched.
2: The Belmonts. Still bugs me that Snake, of all Konami characters, was the one chosen to be their rep in SSBB when we've got a very famous family that has seen much success, on Nintendo's many platforms no less.
3: Paper Mario. He may be another Mario, but at the same time he isn't. He comes from one of my favorite series ever and the things he can do are unlike anything else.

Who the hell is that skeleton dude?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It's hard for me to pick new characters I actually want. For the most part I'm more focused on veterans, some of which we got already(Wolf is pretty much one of the last few veterans remaining that anyone truly cares about). But if I had to pick:

1: Dark Samus. Yeah I know, but some characters have dual roles even if they aren't playable, which might make the idea less far-fetched.
2: The Belmonts. Still bugs me that Snake, of all Konami characters, was the one chosen to be their rep in SSBB when we've got a very famous family that has seen much success, on Nintendo's many platforms no less.
3: Paper Mario. He may be another Mario, but at the same time he isn't. He comes from one of my favorite series ever and the things he can do are unlike anything else.

Who the hell is that skeleton dude?
Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
This is his theme,

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say that of ALL the multi game franchises that have been in Nintendo for So many years, I have no idea why a belmont is not in the cast.
edit: Though it woudl be cool to see Soma Show up instead, or maybe Dracula [ignoring all the sun shiney stages and AH BURNING logic. Drac would be a cool character XD]
But like I said before Im sure wolf and Snake will both be around soon enough. Just gotta be patient.

Honestly id be surprised to see Krystal in Star fox Zero. Since Star fox Zero seems to be a prequal title and Krystal hasn't been part of the team that lon canonically right? Its not that shes being left out its that shes busy on the dinosaur world being AWESOME!!

though I will admit I had a sadistic trolling thought come to my mind whre instead of Krystal, peppy, or Wolf
We got Slippy.
Ofcourse my mind could not handle that so I had wolf Charge in and 'steal Slippy's spot' Litterally.
"Cant let you do that Toad." -Slippy owned- "We got a Score to settle fox."

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
The only DLC characters I want are Wolf and to a lesser extant, King K. Rool.

I only need Wolf, but it would be nice to have K. Rool too.

Anyone else is a bonus.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
On an unrelated note,how likely do you think Inkling is?
They will come. Maybe not in Smash 4 as DLC but they will be there in Smash 5 for sure. Nintendo was already struggling to come up with new legitimate characters to bring back with characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario. If they put Inkling in now, thats one less new character to reveal in an already short list of new potential character for Smash 5.

I wouldn't say that. Link has an outfit and he's in the game. Plus, Splatoon is a new staple IP for Nintendo. If they're not DLC, they'll be in the next game for sure. Though I'm biased. They're me second most wanted newcomer after Reyn.
Link was in the game before the Mii outfit was released. From the wording around the rest of the Mii outfits like the Tekken dude and stuff being the "rep" it suggests characters and series put in as Mii outfits without an existing character from that series to rep them already heavily reduces their chances of a character from that series actually being added in.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
They will come. Maybe not in Smash 4 as DLC but they will be there in Smash 5 for sure. Nintendo was already struggling to come up with new legitimate characters to bring back with characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario. If they put Inkling in now, thats one less new character to reveal in an already short list of new potential character for Smash 5.

Link was in the game before the Mii outfit was released. From the wording around the rest of the Mii outfits like the Tekken dude and stuff being the "rep" it suggests characters and series put in as Mii outfits without an existing character from that series to rep them already heavily reduces their chances of a character from that series actually being added in.

Thanks for the image, will put it in the first post immediately. Go check it out!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Nintendo was already struggling to come up with new legitimate characters to bring back with characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario.
Nintendo wasn't struggling with coming up with characters for Smash. Dark Pit and Doctor Mario were literally added in because they had a little bit of time left and they could add them. They couldn't make a fully-fledged new character. Its like in Melee, how Ganondorf was added as a clone of Captain Falcon (WHY?) because they had a little extra time and wanted to fill the roster more.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Interestingly, when I made this, I realized all these characters are from 1997 or earlier.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Nintendo wasn't struggling with coming up with characters for Smash. Dark Pit and Doctor Mario were literally added in because they had a little bit of time left and they could add them. They couldn't make a fully-fledged new character. Its like in Melee, how Ganondorf was added as a clone of Captain Falcon (WHY?) because they had a little extra time and wanted to fill the roster more.
True clones are non-sense and could have just been skins (and sakurai himself stated most of them started as skins), leaving more spaces for DLC characters down the line. They will not keep adding DLC characters until the end of time they will stop at some point, whether its because they cant fit in anymore or whether its because the next game has started development it will happen.

When that time comes, We could of have lots of unique and interesting characters but instead we get Dark Pit and Doctor Mario. I think people would prefer some effort going into characters. It's an insult to characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario to be essentially the same instead of getting the Luigi/Wolf treatment. If Sakurai has no intention of making them unique then they should be skins. Their special moves can just become custom.

Nintendo doesn't exactly create lot's of new IP or characters within existing IP. Out of the few new characters in smash while some are good additions others are very questionable. Compare the number of new characters in Brawl to Melee and Brawl to Smash4 and you can see they are starting to hit the point where the number of exciting and non-novelty/clone characters that join a new smash is thinning out.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
True clones are non-sense and could have just been skins (and sakurai himself stated most of them started as skins), leaving more spaces for DLC characters down the line. They will not keep adding DLC characters until the end of time they will stop at some point, whether its because they cant fit in anymore or whether its because the next game has started development it will happen.

When that time comes, We could of have lots of unique and interesting characters but instead we get Dark Pit and Doctor Mario. I think people would prefer some effort going into characters. It's an insult to characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario to be essentially the same instead of getting the Luigi/Wolf treatment. If Sakurai has no intention of making them unique then they should be skins. Their special moves can just become custom.

Nintendo doesn't exactly create lot's of new IP or characters within existing IP. Out of the few new characters in smash while some are good additions others are very questionable. Compare the number of new characters in Brawl to Melee and Brawl to Smash4 and you can see they are starting to hit the point where the number of exciting and non-novelty/clone characters that join a new smash is thinning out.
Sakurai literally added them to make the roster look bigger. I also don't think they should have been added (at least not a clone (Dark Pit), but at that point when he was finished developing the game, he didn't know if Mewtwo would be the only DLC character.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I would more see Cpt Toad as an Assist Trophy in Smash 5 rather than a newcomer.

The newcomers I see locked in for Smash 5 are the Inkling, Azura (from FE14, I can easily see her getting in over Kamui and it'll be nice to have a Fire Emblem character that wields a spear, especially since people have been asking for Ephraim), a possible 7th gen Pokémon and a Code Name S.T.E.A.M rep.

Then again it's just my opinion and doesn't even reflect my own wishes.

StormC

Smash Hero
Keep in mind when Brawl came out, characters like Robin and Shulk didn't even exist.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I agree with all all your points, but...
- Mature rated characters won't appear. (Snake deconfirmed from ballot?) Wolf isn't M-rated char.
this confuses me. There wasn't anything that stated this to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong of course.
The treehouse footage of Star Fox Zero looked really cool, though I wish they'd just confirm Wolf already so we'd stop worrying about him. Who are your guy's top 3 most wanted characters after Wolf?
For me its
Krool

Pious

and Sami

So the DLC looks like this,
1.:4mewtwo:
2.:4lucas:
3.:4feroy:
4.:4ryu:
5.:wolf:
6.Krool
7.Pious
8.Sami
God, I love Eternal Darkness. I'm curious, though. Why Pious? I would prefer Alexandria myself.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I would more see Cpt Toad as an Assist Trophy in Smash 5 rather than a newcomer.

The newcomers I see locked in for Smash 5 are the Inkling, Azura (from FE14, I can easily see her getting in over Kamui and it'll be nice to have a Fire Emblem character that wields a spear, especially since people have been asking for Ephraim), a possible 7th gen Pokémon and a Code Name S.T.E.A.M rep.

Then again it's just my opinion and doesn't even reflect my own wishes.
Unless Intelligent Systems wants to carry on the S.T.E.A.M. series, I reckon it's just a flash in the pan. A character would be very likely without a definitive sequel.

And this is coming from the original owner of the Henry Fleming support thread~

Lucina bothers me since Roy was a Marth clone and he's been decloned so now Lucina sucks. Dark Pit was a disappointment. I hate Dr. Mario.
No need to be harsh, friend.

Every character has their fans.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I agree with all all your points, but... this confuses me. There wasn't anything that stated this to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong of course.

God, I love Eternal Darkness. I'm curious, though. Why Pious? I would prefer Alexandria myself.
He works better for representing the game, while Alex is the main protagonist, she doesn't have as much screen time as Pious, due to the multiple protagonists. That and Pious is pretty much the face of Eternal Darkness, and was also in the advertising campaign alot.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Which version of Wolf do we think is coming to the new Star Fox game and to Wii U? So far characters have had visual upgrades (Samus, Ganondorf, Roy etc...) but I dont think any character has had a overhaul to the point where the character itself looks really different. However if Wolf in the new star fox game is either 64 Wolf or 64 Wolf but with assault colours and that wolf gets put into the game I hope they still retain the same playstyle with buffs. The new star fox is a reimagining so perhaps wolfs assault style could be in. Project M has showed Wolf could be similar to his older style but still make sense with the brawl moveset (with assault colours).

I did find this in Melee:

I might get tons of hate for this,but:4drmario:&:4lucina:don't bother me too much.
:4darkpit:could've just stayed an alt for all I care.
"They Don't bother me" isn't exactly the most glowing recommendation for characters.

Last edited:

StormshockNightbringer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stormshock
I agree with all all your points, but... this confuses me. There wasn't anything that stated this to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong of course.
I think that's more of how ESRB ratings work. Adding in a character from a game with a higher rating might skew the game's actual rating or something.

カワシさん

I might get tons of hate for this,but:4drmario:&:4lucina:don't bother me too much.
:4darkpit:could've just stayed an alt for all I care.
I'm in the same boat here bud.

Dr. Mario works really good for me compared to Mario and I use Doc occasionally. His style (Trading Speed for Power) fits my playstyle, at least for the Mario Bros. On the subject of Lucina, Marth works better for me than Lucina, but she's still pretty decent for me. Also, I would of liked DP to be an alt also mainly because I work Pit way better mainly due to the arrows... I swear, I hate not being able to control DP's arrows.

That aside, I think Wolf should be back not because of that I loved him (I have Brawl but never played Wolf, so I'm not a part of ghe pack) but because so many fans want him back. It would mainly benefit Nintendo a lot. Also, we need more villians in Smash. Just my opinion. I'm for Wolf although personally I think the roster is fine as it is except that they removed Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Wait till you get a load of the Gamecube English voice acting, you'll see the problem then xD

Fox sounds like a whiny teenager, even his Smash 4 interation. Its too late for them to use the 64 or SFZ voice acting. Wolf as I mentioned previously is the only character at the moment I can think of whose voice acting is good in all games.
WTF? Star Fox Assault voice acting was AMAZING, best part of the game. Sm4sh Fox has his original 64 voice actor, that's why he sounds so bad, but in Brawl he had his Assault voice actor which was amazing.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think that's more of how ESRB ratings work. Adding in a character from a game with a higher rating might skew the game's actual rating or something.
No, the ESRB explicitly states that DLC is absolutely not, in any way rated by the ESRB.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
WTF? Star Fox Assault voice acting was AMAZING, best part of the game. Sm4sh Fox has his original 64 voice actor, that's why he sounds so bad, but in Brawl he had his Assault voice actor which was amazing.
I don't know who the voice actor is for Fox Smash4 but he's talking in the whiny Post 64 era not the 64 style. Peppy is just whiny, Leon even worse, Falco I can take either version he's alright. Panther is essentially Leon from the 64 days. Slippy is whiny also.

There is a reason why they keep remaking and going back to the original 64 style, because it was the best and most popular.

カワシさん

No, the ESRB explicitly states that DLC is absolutely not, in any way rated by the ESRB.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl was rated T for what seems to be two reasons:

-The fact that a character from an M-rated game (Snake) is in the game
-In the scene where Master Hand revolts against Tabuu after beig released from his chains, there are what appears to be tiny splots of blood on the back of his hand and fingers

It also might have something to do with Snake's codecs although the most weirdest thing I remember is where Snake suggests he should capture a Yoshi to eat it.

So apparently if what you're saying is true, characters originally in the game affect rating but DLC doesn't. That's weird to me, but then again they wouldn't be able to change it. :/

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
"They Don't bother me" isn't exactly the most glowing recommendation for characters.
Rather than explain it all,I'll reply somebody else.
I'm in the same boat here bud.

Dr. Mario works really good for me compared to Mario and I use Doc occasionally. His style (Trading Speed for Power) fits my playstyle, at least for the Mario Bros. On the subject of Lucina, Marth works better for me than Lucina, but she's still pretty decent for me. Also, I would of liked DP to be an alt also mainly because I work Pit way better mainly due to the arrows... I swear, I hate not being able to control DP's arrows.
I don't pay Pit much,if ever,becuase I'm not much of a KI fan,(Please don't h8 m8)so for this series' size,Pit & Palutena made sense,we all knew Palutena was coming.Dark Pit should've not been added.
No 3rd clone would've been best.If we HAD to have one-Alph.They could've given him the rock pikmin...maybe,not sure.
Still would've been more unique than DP.
WHO CARES if he uses the three sacred treasures.Sakurai just can't screw with Kid Icarus canon,oh,but he has no problem screwing with Mario and other canon!Since when could the Koopalings go Shadow Mario?Never.How does Robin use Nosferatu?He doesn't.All of Ness and Captain Falcon's moves?Either not their's or completely made up.Can you explain what Dedede Burst is or why Falco's in a Landmaster?Thought not.
Oh,but Dark Pit uses 3 sacred treasures and Upperdash Arm?UNACCEPTABLE!!!WE MUST SEPERATE HIM FROM PIT AT ONCE!
...Seriously,what a load of horse crap.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I don't know who the voice actor is for Fox Smash4 but he's talking in the whiny Post 64 era not the 64 style. Peppy is just whiny, Leon even worse, Falco I can take either version he's alright. Panther is essentially Leon from the 64 days. Slippy is whiny also.

There is a reason why they keep remaking and going back to the original 64 style, because it was the best and most popular.
Fox's voice actor for Sm4sh is the original voice actor for Fox in Star Fox 64. The only reason Star Fox 64 voice acting sounded "ok" was because of the heavy modifiers. Now with Sm4sh we can see how bad that voice actor is.
I've seriously never run into anyone that hasn't liked Assault's voice acting. You can hate that game all you want, but the voice acting was top notch and perfect for every single character.

Last edited:

カワシさん

Rather than explain it all,I'll reply somebody else.

I don't pay Pit much,if ever,becuase I'm not much of a KI fan,(Please don't h8 m8)so for this series' size,Pit & Palutena made sense,we all knew Palutena was coming.Dark Pit should've not been added.
No 3rd clone would've been best.If we HAD to have one-Alph.They could've given him the rock pikmin...maybe,not sure.
Still would've been more unique than DP.
WHO CARES if he uses the three sacred treasures.Sakurai just can't screw with Kid Icarus canon,oh,but he has no problem screwing with Mario and other canon!Since when could the Koopalings go Shadow Mario?Never.How does Robin use Nosferatu?He doesn't.All of Ness and Captain Falcon's moves?Either not their's or completely made up.Can you explain what Dedede Burst is or why Falco's in a Landmaster?Thought not.
Oh,but Dark Pit uses 3 sacred treasures and Upperdash Arm?UNACCEPTABLE!!!WE MUST SEPERATE HIM FROM PIT AT ONCE!
...Seriously,what a load of horse crap.
Sakurai is trying to brag on about KI, basically his creation. Enough said (DP seems like Smash material but again he should of been an alt).

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Super Smash Bros. Brawl was rated T for what seems to be two reasons:

-The fact that a character from an M-rated game (Snake) is in the game
-In the scene where Master Hand revolts against Tabuu after beig released from his chains, there are what appears to be tiny splots of blood on the back of his hand and fingers

It also might have something to do with Snake's codecs although the most weirdest thing I remember is where Snake suggests he should capture a Yoshi to eat it.

So apparently if what you're saying is true, characters originally in the game affect rating but DLC doesn't. That's weird to me, but then again they wouldn't be able to change it. :/
Also, characters don't change ratings as long as they aren't sexually explicit or do something in Smash to warrant the rating rise. The reason for a Teen rating in Brawl, as well as Melee, is because of (Brawl) "Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor" and (Melee) "Comic Mischief and Mild Violence" (notice no "blood" or "animated blood" in Master Hand's case). So Snake wouldn't have had anything to do with the rating. Which is, agreeably, confusing. The only explanation for the recent two being rated E10+ would be because the ESRB has become more lenient recently. All in all the reason Brawl is rated T is because of Wario's farts... Yes I'm serious, and Melee was rated Teen simply because E10+ didn't exist.

And yes the ESRB always explicitly states that they do not rate DLC.

Last edited:

カワシさん

Also, characters don't change ratings as long as they aren't sexually explicit or do something in Smash to warrant the rating rise. The reason for a Teen rating in Brawl, as well as Melee, is because of (Brawl) "Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor" and (Melee) "Comic Mischief and Mild Violence" (notice no "blood" or "animated blood" in Master Hand's case). So Snake wouldn't have had anything to do with the rating. Which is, agreeably, confusing. The only explanation for the recent two being rated E10+ would be because the ESRB has become more lenient recently. All in all the reason Brawl is rated T is because of Wario's farts... Yes I'm serious, and Melee was rated Teen simply because E10+ didn't exist.

And yes the ESRB always explicitly states that they do not rate DLC.
Wario's farts.. Well, that does make a bit of sense. Also, the Crude Humor would apparently tie in with the codecs, maybe. I'd have to view all of them to find something.

I feel Brawl was more adult-targeted because of several reasons. First off, the word "Brawl" sounds more like something you'd find in a Mortal Kombat game. Secondly, the amount of detail going into the characters. For example, pretty much all 3D-graphic Mario games have simple-flat overalls that Mario is wearing. The new Smash has this too. Most kid games have simple graphics like described, while a lot of adult games have extensive detail. Mario in Brawl has very detailed overalls. Also, the clothes of characters like Wario and Link are more detailed than usual. Finally, the fact that Snake is in the game nails the coffin. Not very many youngsters know that much about Snake, maybe.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Fox's voice actor for Sm4sh is the original voice actor for Fox in Star Fox 64. The only reason Star Fox 64 voice acting sounded "ok" was because of the heavy modifiers. Now with Sm4sh we can see how bad that voice actor is.
I've seriously never run into anyone that hasn't liked Assault's voice acting. You can hate that game all you want, but the voice acting was top notch and perfect for every single character.
Nintendo thinks otherwise. The constant going back to 64 says otherwise but whatever. It speaks for itself.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nintendo thinks otherwise. The constant going back to 64 says otherwise but whatever. It speaks for itself.
Sadly, @ Serell Serell is right. 64's voice acting is astoundingly terrible. Assault's was leagues better. The reason Nintendo keeps coming back is because that game was masterful in it's gameplay, it's characters were quirky and fun, and the arcade feel with multiple routes allows for replayability. The voice acting has nothing to contribute. The only reason it was present in 64 3D was for nostalgia, the only reason it was in Smash 4 was for relevancy.
Wario's farts.. Well, that does make a bit of sense. Also, the Crude Humor would apparently tie in with the codecs, maybe. I'd have to view all of them to find something.

I feel Brawl was more adult-targeted because of several reasons. First off, the word "Brawl" sounds more like something you'd find in a Mortal Kombat game. Secondly, the amount of detail going into the characters. For example, pretty much all 3D-graphic Mario games have simple-flat overalls that Mario is wearing. The new Smash has this too. Most kid games have simple graphics like described, while a lot of adult games have extensive detail. Mario in Brawl has very detailed overalls. Also, the clothes of characters like Wario and Link are more detailed than usual. Finally, the fact that Snake is in the game nails the coffin. Not very many youngsters know that much about Snake, maybe.
I agree with your entire statement, and, yes, the codecs could contribute to the Crude Humor, but Snake himself, the character, did not.

It was definitely more mature but it was that way simply because that was the general store back then gross, bland, and "griddy". Like everything needed to be realistic to be fun. Blegh.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Sadly, @ Serell Serell is right. 64's voice acting is astoundingly terrible. Assault's was leagues better. The reason Nintendo keeps coming back is because that game was masterful in it's gameplay, it's characters were quirky and fun, and the arcade feel with multiple routes allows for replayability. The voice acting has nothing to contribute. The only reason it was present in 64 3D was for nostalgia, the only reason it was in Smash 4 was for relevancy.
He isn't but the VO in SFZ is much better because they toned down the whinyness of Peppy, Slippy and Fox. 64 didn't have any whiny to it while the others did. Cant really judge the rest of the SFZ cast until we hear them but I hope leon goes back to 64 days and not his super whiny version of assault.

Top Bottom