• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
I wasn't born at the time his game came out. None of my friends or my family members never mentioned him, which is why I wasn't familiar with who Duck Hunt is?
I mean,I knew about him since an old YouTube video,did you never bother to look up NES titles?Understandable.
Another character it's understandable for you all not know is:4lucas:Who in America got to play Mother 3 before Brawl's release in 2008?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Yay, another 2 month wait.

Don't disappoint me this time.

----

Also, to those who hopes datamining can help, isn't the leak of Roy and Ryu confirmed by further leaking the 1.0.8 update released? If they don't mention about Wolf there, I don't think one can find anything more than just the Royu in this update.
That's because Sakurai and his team learned their lesson xD

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Just an unrealistic wish, but I had a dream(not the sleeping kind) that Wolf got in with an Okami Amateratsu and Wolf Link skin. That would be cool :upsidedown:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I mean,I knew about him since an old YouTube video,did you never bother to look up NES titles?Understandable.
Another character it's understandable for you all not know is:4lucas:Who in America got to play Mother 3 before Brawl's release in 2008?
No, I never bothered to do any of that ****, unfortunately.

AZMerkh64

Smash Rookie
I'm a bit late to the party, but I fully support this cause. But honestly, i think they should do what they did with Lucas with Wolf, which is keep him the same from Brawl, moveset wise, although makes his throws comboable and all that. Or maybe make his moves like P:M Wolf, but that might be asking too much. Regardless, I would love to see him return.

Oh yeah, and make his Side B like Fox and Falco's where it doesn't put them in the helpless state.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
In a way a reimaging for Star Fox 64 benefits quite a few characters. The voice acting for Fox, Slippy, Leon and many more were really bad in the Gamecube era. 64 had great voice acting, I'd say Wolf is one of the few characters whose voice acting I like just as much in either the 64 or Gamecube era.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
In a way a reimaging for Star Fox 64 benefits quite a few characters. The voice acting for Fox, Slippy, Leon and many more were really bad in the Gamecube era. 64 had great voice acting, I'd say Wolf is one of the few characters whose voice acting I like just as much in either the 64 or Gamecube era.
Idk, played only the Japanese version, I don't feel there's too much of a problem about their voice.

Well, at least it makes Slippy more relevant than Krystal :troll:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Idk, played only the Japanese version, I don't feel there's too much of a problem about their voice.

Well, at least it makes Slippy more relevant than Krystal :troll:
Wait till you get a load of the Gamecube English voice acting, you'll see the problem then xD

Fox sounds like a whiny teenager, even his Smash 4 interation. Its too late for them to use the 64 or SFZ voice acting. Wolf as I mentioned previously is the only character at the moment I can think of whose voice acting is good in all games.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
You know, I wouldn't mind if Peppy were brought in being playable along side Wolf.

I think that would be pretty neat. Especially since he was one of the three in the Digital Event.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It seems Krystal is no longer canon though. So I highly doubt they would at this point.
Star Fox Zero seems to be more of a re imagining of Star Fox 64 and there's still room for sequels. If Krystal were added to Smash (which could happen thanks to the ballot) there's still a lot of room for her to be adapted into possible sequels

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Star Fox Zero seems to be more of a re imagining of Star Fox 64 and there's still room for sequels. If Krystal were added to Smash (which could happen thanks to the ballot) there's still a lot of room for her to be adapted into possible sequels
I don't think the ballot is exactly a free pass on the standard filters and criteria for Smash character selection. More just to see out of anyone who does pass basic checks (Anyone thinking Goku and Shrek would ever be in smash are kidding themselves) who would the community want in earlier.

Not saying Kystal doesn't pass the very basic criteria in which she does, however there would be quite a few other characters above her not to mention the more advanced criteria, and I don't think we are exactly going to be getting another 20 characters as DLC.

Wolf is the main focus, once we get any kind of official confirmation whether its some files found in a patch or Ninty saying he's in exploring other characters from within Star Fox would be nice. Wolf did get cut after all for whatever reason (I assume its more a promotional tool as opposed to he didnt make the cut).

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Meh, idk.

What I see is that Krystal supporters are currently heavily dissing the game, threatening to start a protest, and force Nintendo to have Krystal back in the game (franchise).

Chances are, the possibility of Krystal depends solely on the support now. Other characters has got its relevancy (New games with character in, Mention of character in E3, etc), so Krystal fan's gonna have some trouble getting their beloved characters into Smash now. Not to mention how the thread is basically falling apart with SF0 rants and "her chances are gone. moving ahead to others" stuff, only to be calmed down by like 1 or 2 users there.

Or just that I'm really biased against Krystal.

I recall one of them saying "no people cared about Krystal not being in the game", but seeing different video predictions about "Star Fox coming with Krystal gone" (which they are ofc right by now), I think people are either not too surprised, or just hyped too much about the game, that seeing whoever's in or not is not important anymore (Or Krystal is really this forgettable?)

To be really honest, I may be the only one non-person as they implied, being happy about Krystal not being in this game. (Check out my first post here after the direct)

So yeah. :/ Don't keel meh on the opinions, just stating stuff.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Meh, idk.

What I see is that Krystal supporters are currently heavily dissing the game, threatening to start a protest, and force Nintendo to have Krystal back in the game (franchise).

Chances are, the possibility of Krystal depends solely on the support now. Other characters has got its relevancy (New games with character in, Mention of character in E3, etc), so Krystal fan's gonna have some trouble getting their beloved characters into Smash now. Not to mention how the thread is basically falling apart with SF0 rants and "her chances are gone. moving ahead to others" stuff, only to be calmed down by like 1 or 2 users there.

Or just that I'm really biased against Krystal.

I recall one of them saying "no people cared about Krystal not being in the game", but seeing different video predictions about "Star Fox coming with Krystal gone" (which they are ofc right by now), I think people are either not too surprised, or just hyped too much about the game, that seeing whoever's in or not is not important anymore (Or Krystal is really this forgettable?)

To be really honest, I may be the only one non-person as they implied, being happy about Krystal not being in this game. (Check out my first post here after the direct)

So yeah. :/ Don't keel meh on the opinions, just stating stuff.
That's not really true, most people in the Krystal thread are disappointed but most aren't angry save for a few

Logo12

Smash Lord
Idk, I see salt everywhere in the thread.

Because I really see at least 5 of them saying like "This is the worst Star Fox game ever", "Let's start a campaign at Nintendo until they bring Krystal back", "Why should they listen to the whiny 64 fans and ignoring the majority" and stuff, starting from page 213.

At least I can say, people who love 64 isn't a minority. At least more than the people who love Adventures.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I'm not brave enough to bet my account, but I'm like 99.9% sure Wolf is coming back. Come on now. We know why he's being held back. I take solace in the fact that he's coming back. I hope he's bundled alongside K. Rool in a "villains" pack or something.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
I'm not brave enough to bet my account, but I'm like 99.9% sure Wolf is coming back. Come on now. We know why he's being held back. I take solace in the fact that he's coming back. I hope he's bundled alongside K. Rool in a "villains" pack or something.
Yes.Wolf & K. Rool all the way!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That's not really true, most people in the Krystal thread are disappointed but most aren't angry save for a few
This. It's mostly Ian that's the loud angry poster you're likely seeing, and he's just that way kind of. There's a couple others but most got their vent out and moved on. Can you really blame us for being shaken though? If you loved a character and their own franchise said, "nah, not this time", it would be hard to just swallow that. Tropical Freeze was a great game and yet I see plenty of Rool fans that still have a grudge against it. Not all of them thankfully, but they're out there. Heck, even Wolf fans know this feeling from Smash, although the impact of that isn't as big as a snub in a character's own franchise. I think it's still fresh for us so we're allowed a bit of anger at this point. As time passes we'll see more about this Star Fox Zero game and chances are we'll like it if it's good. So far, there's not a lot that appeals to me or seems special, but I'm hoping that I just haven't seen much is all. As a Krystal fan though, it kind of did nothing for us.

I'm a huge Wolf supporter too of course, but have dedicated more of my time to Krystal because I believe she needs the support more. I expect Wolf. The fact that he didn't get revealed disappointed me as a fan of both characters. I know Wolf needs to get in Smash again before Krystal is the heir apparent. The sooner it happens the better. Star Fox Zero barely even hinted at Wolf.

There's more reasons than "Krystal's not in" to make me feel unsure about Star Fox Zero. I'll do a little explanation in a spoiler below... well, maybe not so little, heh.
Firstly, it seems like it's a near remake of 64, but that could just be the demoware making the missions that were played at E3 look so much like the same old thing. Level layout and dialogue all seem to be completely throwback. We just had 64 3D. I don't see the appeal of this, at least not yet. I'm hoping there's way more to the setting than just a prettified 64 with new vehicle and control gimmicks.

And that's the other thing, the depth and innovation of the game seems entirely tied up in control gimmicks and new vehicles. Like with many control gimmicks, people will often prefer a simpler option if given the choice. With the vehicles, I'm not sure yet what's special about them. The Arwing walker provides a quick alternative to Landmaster travel on ground, but other than being able to take to the air with a transformation, I'm not sure what it does that the Landmaster couldn't. So far, it's just an alternative way to walk around the level... which we could do before in previous games with actual characters. Likewise with the probe device. It removes the need to have characters on-foot or really, seen at all.

And that's the last major thing, and it ties into the previous two points...

With the first point, it feels like this game has done what it could to remove character from the game. The apparent regression of the setting is one thing. What ever happened to the development of character the series has been working on? Not that I believe it was strong development necessarily, but tossing it out and starting with blank slates seems like a bad move. There is much to be discovered in this respect though and so far it's only an impression based on what could just be demoware and the implications of Miyamoto. So far it seems like the characters are just voices in an Arwing repeating things they've all said before.

With the second point, I know some people never liked "on-foot" missions for Star Fox, and I agree they could've been done better. But totally removing them rather than trying to improve them seemed like the wrong choice. The walker Arwing and the probe/robot device provide gameplay that could've been done more uniquely with a face. Instead we see a tool or a vehicle. We don't get to see Slippy standing there trying to decrypt something by hand or Falco running around shooting enemies with a confident expression. We are detached from the characters. Assault gave us a taste of great potential and instead Nintendo moved away from the next evolution. That evolution was to create immersive on-foot gameplay and unique gameplay between characters. Allow us to take all the Star Fox characters for a spin. Utilize unique abilities in special situations. Instead it appears we're just piloting Fox in his completely hands off approach. I wonder if we'll even get the benefit of character models outside cinematics. Again, this is something that can change in the future. Maybe Star Fox Zero will end up having a robust and unique on-foot gameplay like Assault attempted and showed the potential of. So far, however, it seems they've taken the characters away from us in this respect.

Oh, and a special shoutout to no online play. That's one that just about everyone thinks is dumb. I'm not going to get into that since it's something many more people have simple complaints about. I was more focusing on the details I'm missing from this game that maybe you won't hear from everyone.

Again, there's much to yet learn about this game, but my first impressions aren't great. Graphically, it looks great even though I've heard many people complain mainly about that too. It could use more detail I'll admit, but the throwback approach seems to have been applied to level design too. The control gimmick could be really fun and intuitive and I might decide that I love it so much that I can't imagine Star Fox without it... but I doubt that. So far, this game is selling itself on a control gimmick, a throwback setting, and new vehicles. That's not enough to sell me. None of it is stuff I needed or wanted with the exception of new vehicles perhaps, but the new vehicles don't seem that interesting. I was more interested in unique vehicles for each team member to use and the ability to play as any team member. Perhaps I'm more interested in the characters than most Star Fox fans however. Much of what I feel is missing and what's making me less interested in this game is the lack of character respect when I really think about it. I'll just wait and hope to see that my first impressions are wrong and this game is better than it looks so far to me.

Last edited:

themasterofcircuits

Smash Journeyman
NNID
professorfargo
Considering we just got Inkling Mii outfits, I'd say 0%
I wouldn't say that. Link has an outfit and he's in the game. Plus, Splatoon is a new staple IP for Nintendo. If they're not DLC, they'll be in the next game for sure. Though I'm biased. They're me second most wanted newcomer after Reyn.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
My reasons why he's most likely to appear in Sm4sh:

- Mewtwo and Roy from Melee did.
- Lucas, and why not a second one returning from Brawl too?
- They worked on new brand Mii costumes, Roy and Ryu to literally shut their fans up before ballot finishes (and that made some characters like Inkling, Heihachi, etc. pretty much deconfirmed), but still nothing about Wolf.
- Sakurai hasn't said a word about Wolf being cut from game yet. However he said about Ridley and Ice Climbers excuses.
- New Star Fox Zero game arriving soon. Wolf is a thing again.
- Even if it's similar to my second point, he was in Brawl. This point is the most obvious reason he has to arrive to Sm4sh.
- They have developed the new Star Fox stage for an entire year, it's likely that for that period, Wolf was in Sakurai's head.
- Fox's "Wolf" recolor doesn't mean he's totally out of the game, considering Mario has the recolor of Wario's outfit, Pit has Dark Pit's... = Sakurai had Wolf again around his head.
- The new remix they've made for Star Wolf's theme, so again Sakurai was ought to think of him.
- Mature rated characters won't appear. (Snake deconfirmed from ballot?) Wolf isn't M-rated char.
- Newer updates are pretty much likely to arrive before the ballot results, and people voting for Wolf in such an high percent would lead to Sakurai again having it on his mind.

Last edited:

SmashFighter64

Smash Cadet

- They worked on new brand Mii costumes, Roy and Ryu to literally shut their fans up before ballot finishes (and that made some characters like Inkling, Heihachi, etc. pretty much deconfirmed), but still nothing about Wolf.
- Sakurai hasn't said a word about Wolf being cut from game yet. However he said about Ridley and Ice Climbers excuses.
- Even if it's similar to my second point, he was in Brawl. This point is the most obvious reason he has to arrive to Sm4sh.
- They have developed the new Star Fox stage for an entire year, it's likely that for that period, Wolf was in Sakurai's head.
- Fox's "Wolf" recolor doesn't mean he's totally out of the game, considering Mario has the recolor of Wario's outfit, Pit has Dark Pit's... = Sakurai had Wolf again around his head.
- The new remix they've made for Star Wolf's theme, so again Sakurai was ought to think of him.
- Mature rated characters won't appear. (Snake deconfirmed from ballot?) Wolf isn't M-rated char.
- Newer updates are pretty much likely to arrive before the ballot results, and people voting for Wolf in such an high percent would lead to Sakurai again having it on his mind.
I agree with your reasons. There's a high chance that Sakurai might be developing Wolf right now and announce him sometime in between June-August.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm on the other side of the spectrum. To me, all of the characters had their best voices in the GCN era, most of which were featured in Assault(Fox is the odd one out, I like his Adventures voice a bit more than his Assault voice). I won't say that the 64 era voices are bad, just some of them seemed out of place, most notably Wolf. That's just my preference though.

Because I really see at least 5 of them saying like "This is the worst Star Fox game ever", "Let's start a campaign at Nintendo until they bring Krystal back", "Why should they listen to the whiny 64 fans and ignoring the majority" and stuff, starting from page 213.

At least I can say, people who love 64 isn't a minority. At least more than the people who love Adventures.
I don't understand how this can be "the worst Star Fox game ever" when we've barely scratched the surface. And as much as I like Krystal, she shouldn't be a selling point of the game. I still want her to be a part of the Star Fox team, no question there, but I'll be more or less forgiving of Nintendo if it doesn't come to that. My more immediate priority is getting to play a SF game once again.

This all seems like sound reasoning, but there's still one obstacle to overcome.

Sakurai.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The treehouse footage of Star Fox Zero looked really cool, though I wish they'd just confirm Wolf already so we'd stop worrying about him. Who are your guy's top 3 most wanted characters after Wolf?
For me its
Krool

Pious

and Sami

So the DLC looks like this,
1.:4mewtwo:
2.:4lucas:
3.:4feroy:
4.:4ryu:
5.:wolf:
6.Krool
7.Pious
8.Sami

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

You act like we're the only ones saying it looks bad, even with Krystal out of the equation it still looks bad with less action than 64 and forced motion controls. Not to mention it pretty much being a 64 rip-off only a couple years after the 3DS version came out

Wanting to campaign for a character isn't salty at all, others are doing it, notably the K Rool fans

And No-one is saying that 64 fans are the minority (Although it is true that 64 elitists are extremely whiny)
The treehouse footage of Star Fox Zero looked really cool, though I wish they'd just confirm Wolf already so we'd stop worrying about him. Who are your guy's top 3 most wanted characters after Wolf?
For me its
Krool

Pious

and Sami

So the DLC looks like this,
1.:4mewtwo:
2.:4lucas:
3.:4feroy:
4.:4ryu:
5.:wolf:
6.Krool
7.Pious
8.Sami
First Wolf of course, then Impa, Dixie and Krystal (Cries forever)

Last edited:
Top Bottom