• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Again, hardly any trailer was shown on Japan Expo in July or on Gamescom earlier this month other than a few Nindies trailers, so why would PAX be an exception?

If I recall, the latest kind of new info that Nintendo unveiled at Japan Expo was the reveal of that Gen 6 Sword-Pokémon thing in 2013. What about PAX?

There's still the Tokyo Game Show and the Paris Games Week (but that one's on October 28th and I think we'd already know the Ballot results by then).

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
I keep obsessively checking Smashboards and my Twitter feed in hopes of Smash news. I'm on a boat right now to relax, but I need Smash news now! I hope that this maintenance patch isn't just a run-of-the-mill ordeal.
Scuse me,boat
Dahek u doin on a bo-at
Its only going to take 1 hour to finished the maintence

Not sure if thats significant or not.
So,maybe DLC confirmed at PAX

I can see it

WAVE 4:Wolf,Isaac,Saffron City 64,Fourside or Mute City,Voice Change Option(included for Fan Demand)

At the end of the trailers
A new trailer approaches
*smash ball logo*
We see Mewtwo,Roy and Doctor Mario fighting on Fourside or Mute City
Pikachu and Jigglypuff fighting on Saffron City 64
Mr.Game and Watch,R.O.B and Duck Hunt fighting on Flat Zone X,and then...

*Balloon Fighter flys high*
Sakurai says"You may not have noticed but Villager's UP-B hinted Balloon Fighter was planned as an unlockable character,but we decided on the Duck Hunt Dog instead
Though now we have time to create this fighter,we completed him""Also,another hint was that Mario's blue costume didn't return and was replaced with Wario's blue and Pink one,we hope you enjoy this fighter as a tribute to Iwata and an enjoyable fighter"

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Scuse me,boat
Dahek u doin on a bo-at

So,maybe DLC confirmed at PAX

I can see it

WAVE 4:Wolf,Isaac,Saffron City 64,Fourside or Mute City,Voice Change Option(included for Fan Demand)

At the end of the trailers
A new trailer approaches
*smash ball logo*
We see Mewtwo,Roy and Doctor Mario fighting on Fourside or Mute City
Pikachu and Jigglypuff fighting on Saffron City 64
Mr.Game and Watch,R.O.B and Duck Hunt fighting on Flat Zone X,and then...

Sakurai says"You may not have noticed but Villager's UP-B hinted Balloon Fighter was planned as an unlockable character,but we decided on the Duck Hunt Dog instead
Though now we have time to create this fighter,we completed him""Also,another hint was that Mario's blue costume didn't return and was replaced with Wario's blue and Pink one,we hope you enjoy this fighter as a tribute to Iwata and an enjoyable fighter"
I would give so much for this to be real.

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
Scuse me,boat
Dahek u doin on a bo-at
Oh boy,bo-at.
Mo-at anybody?:troll:
Props to anybody who recognizes this joke.
Wolf yes.That's why we're here.Not so keen on Isaac(Never have been.),Mute City would be great.While they were nice for hectic battles,not sure why everyone cries about Saffron City 64 and Fourside so dang much.
Voice change,though?While appreciative for Fox,why not,I dunno,BOSS TOGGLE?Maybe I actually want to play Wily Castle!Nope.Boss time.
OOOOOOOOO Noice,Ballon Fighter!A retro rep I wouldn't mind and a nice tribute to Iwata.Win-win.
Though now we have time to create this fighter,we completed him.
Uhh...you DO realize the roster was decided in like,early 2012 right?The only later additions were Dr. Mario and Lucina.
No,I don't count that Blank Space.Useless as I'll get out.It's an empty space between Doc and Lucina.What's so special?Yeah,if we could get a patch on this,that'd be greeeaaaat...

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
If there's a new stage, hopefully it's from Melee (one of the Melee stages that was in Brawl but didn't make it to Smash 4, most likely)--either Big Blue, Pokemon Stadium 1, or both.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Oh boy,bo-at.
Mo-at anybody?:troll:
Props to anybody who recognizes this joke.

Wolf yes.That's why we're here.Not so keen on Isaac(Never have been.),Mute City would be great.While they were nice for hectic battles,not sure why everyone cries about Saffron City 64 and Fourside so dang much.
Voice change,though?While appreciative for Fox,why not,I dunno,BOSS TOGGLE?Maybe I actually want to play Wily Castle!Nope.Boss time.

OOOOOOOOO Noice,Ballon Fighter!A retro rep I wouldn't mind and a nice tribute to Iwata.Win-win.

Uhh...you DO realize the roster was decided in like,early 2012 right?The only later additions were Dr. Mario and Lucina.
No,I don't count that Blank Space.Useless as I'll get out.It's an empty space between Doc and Lucina.What's so special?Yeah,if we could get a patch on this,that'd be greeeaaaat...
CAUTION WALL OF TEXT:
Saffron City was from Gen 1,and was replaced with 2 variations of the Pokémon Stadium and PokeFloats
They kept PokéStadium 2 and cut Saffron City,Poké Floats,and Spear Pillar(sure they weren't tournament legal)
imagine the memories of playing 64 unlocking the characters and Mushroom Kingdom,so maybe it was nostalgia
Boss toggle was apperently deconfirmed becuase"It would make SM4SH look like the rest"
About Balloon Fighter,I'm saying that Balloon Fighter was cut around E3 2014 and replaced with the Duck Hunt Dog(yes,I should have put that in there)instead(so maybe he could be DLC,becuase all the characters+Mewtwo were planned(but alas,his downfall in Brawl struck him again)and so Balloon Fighter's data was copied over from the dev copies to the Retail copies

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
CAUTION WALL OF TEXT:
Saffron City was from Gen 1,and was replaced with 2 variations of the Pokémon Stadium and PokeFloats
They kept PokéStadium 2 and cut Saffron City,Poké Floats,and Spear Pillar(sure they weren't tournament legal)
imagine the memories of playing 64 unlocking the characters and Mushroom Kingdom,so maybe it was nostalgia
Boss toggle was apperently deconfirmed becuase"It would make SM4SH look like the rest"
About Balloon Fighter,I'm saying that Balloon Fighter was cut around E3 2014 and replaced with the Duck Hunt Dog(yes,I should have put that in there)instead(so maybe he could be DLC,becuase all the characters+Mewtwo were planned(but alas,his downfall in Brawl struck him again)and so Balloon Fighter's data was copied over from the dev copies to the Retail copies
But duck hunt was in Sakurai's presentation for smash 4 before the game even started development along with Rosalina and Robin

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/english-smash4-project-proposal-slides/

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
CAUTION WALL OF TEXT:
There was official word about boss toggle?

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Not yet, at least. I wouldn't be surprised of we got nothing, but this is just the first day of the event.
I'm not really familiar with gaming events other than e3. Is Nintendo's thing done or do they have more planned for the next couple of days?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not really familiar with gaming events other than e3. Is Nintendo's thing done or do they have more planned for the next couple of days?
I think they may have some things, but I am not sure if it will be DLC related.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I think they may have some things, but I am not sure if it will be DLC related.
Lets hope so. In the very least I'm hoping for Wolf's reveal in zero.

Also here's something to ponder, if wolf is revealed will he be one of the ballot characters, or will he be the last pre-ballot character?

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Also here's something to ponder, if wolf is revealed will he be one of the ballot characters, or will he be the last pre-ballot character?
Either or. He is an obvious pick for a pre-ballot character, but at the same time, if he was not a pre-ballot character, he is one of the top 5 on most polls I see, and I think it would be an insult if he was not in the ballot at that point.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Either or. He is an obvious pick for a pre-ballot character, but at the same time, if he was not a pre-ballot character, he is one of the top 5 on most polls I see, and I think it would be an insult if he was not in the ballot at that point.
I'm kinda hopin he's pre-ballot. The sooner the better. Plus i'd be kind of a bummer if they waited all the way till October then started making characters. Hopin they release wolf (or anyone) in September so it can hold us off while the results are being determined.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
If Sakurai "had a grasp" on Lucas's and Roy's popularity and demand, certainly he would have a grasp on Wolf's as well. I guess it really depends on how many vets he wants to focus on regarding DLC

Edit: (just had a thought, complete utter speculation) When the Roy and Ryu data mine occurred, they apparently found five spaces after Mewtwo in the Character Data. Lucas, Roy, Ryu take up three of those, leaving two. Now keep in mind, before the leaks, only Lucas was known to come out--Roy and Ryu were meant as complete surprises. When the three finally released, that's when Sakurai had done the interview. From a developer's perspective mixed with the Wolf-biased thinking of a Smash rookie, I cam to a thought that "from here on out, it's fan service" translated as "After these two wonderful characters come to fruition, we'll focus on fan service!"
Of course, one could say that these two spots were reserved for ballot characters and that I'm just overly optimistic! I just want some Smash announcements that don't revolve around Mii Outfits.... :wolf:

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If Sakurai "had a grasp" on Lucas's and Roy's popularity and demand, certainly he would have a grasp on Wolf's as well. I guess it really depends on how many vets he wants to focus on regarding DLC
Well did say how he hates cutting vets. Plus i vaguely remember something along the lines of focusing dlc on vets for fans who lost there mains or something like that. Don't quote me on that tho.

Plus, wolf was low priority during development, so Sakurai's definitely considered him.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Not yet, at least. I wouldn't be surprised of we got nothing, but this is just the first day of the event.
We're on day 2 now so we shouldn't lose hope yet. A DLC announcement today would be the greatest birthday present ever for me.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
We're on day 2 now so we shouldn't lose hope yet. A DLC announcement today would be the greatest birthday present ever for me.
dunno, but the release of Star Fox Zero around a week before my birthday is a good enough present for meh.

I don't think there are more to see for the PAX thing, since the first announcement was just Xenoblade and the other showcases include a playable Zoness in SF0, and some Smash tournament involving Bill.

Let's dream that the 31 Aug update will bring us anything.... :|

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai once stated confirmations about what happened to the Ice Climbers, Ridley... but we're concerned he hadn't said a word about Lucas, Roy(our boy) and Wolf not being in Sm4sh. Bingo! Lucas and Roy are both back but, Wolf? No excuse from his part yet. We're waiting for a good reason, or maybe he's just hiding he's going to be back, just like those I mentioned.
If he has no excuse for Wolf, then he could be back without any single problem.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You guys read that interesting article about Wolf's inclusion in Brawl? I believe it was mentioned that Wolf was added due to the convenience of having Falco and Fox to work with, molding his character from them. It is no secret that Wolf has some derivatives from Fox, but I like how the end result was a character with his own uniqueness and playstyle.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Sakurai once stated confirmations about what happened to the Ice Climbers, Ridley... but we're concerned he hadn't said a word about Lucas, Roy(our boy) and Wolf not being in Sm4sh. Bingo! Lucas and Roy are both back but, Wolf? No excuse from his part yet. We're waiting for a good reason, or maybe he's just hiding he's going to be back, just like those I mentioned.
If he has no excuse for Wolf, then he could be back without any single problem.
Precisely! And now is the more than ever the best time to explain why Wolf isn't in the game (or will be ;) ) again with the new Star Fox coming you'd think the question of "hey, Sakurai, why don't we bring Wolf back into the fold?" would come up.
And at the same time, if Wolf wasn't going to be in the game, Sakurai should've already shot us down. Unfortunately, with your point about the Ice Climbers, I take it as him shooting their DLC potential down (same with Ridley) but in a way, this helps Wolf's case.

EDIT: Also, happy birthday, Yoshisaurus Rex!

Last edited:

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Happy berfdaye

Edit: (just had a thought, complete utter speculation) When the Roy and Ryu data mine occurred, they apparently found five spaces after Mewtwo in the Character Data. Lucas, Roy, Ryu take up three of those, leaving two. Now keep in mind, before the leaks, only Lucas was known to come out--Roy and Ryu were meant as complete surprises. When the three finally released, that's when Sakurai had done the interview. From a developer's perspective mixed with the Wolf-biased thinking of a Smash rookie, I cam to a thought that "from here on out, it's fan service" translated as "After these two wonderful characters come to fruition, we'll focus on fan service!"
Of course, one could say that these two spots were reserved for ballot characters and that I'm just overly optimistic! I just want some Smash announcements that don't revolve around Mii Outfits.... :wolf:
Those spots mean nothing,all we know this could be the end of the DLC,but it's not becuase we still have the ballot

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I always thought it was weird they portrayed Wolf fighting more like an animal (even though he is one) when Fox and Falco do not. I thought the idle pose and the running was very flaily and odd compared to his fellows of his IP. Might as well have the guy lope around on all fours while you're at it (seriously don't).

Either way I'd gladly have him back.

Edit: I have fond memories of Wolf. In Brawl after completing the Subspace Emissary (one of the first things I did) and thereby unlocking all the characters except 3, I quickly unlocked Young Link and Jigglypuff and I knew I had only one more character to go.

Having to fight Boss Battle mode with Fox was actually incredibly cinematic in my eyes. Fighting huge Smash and Nintendo related bosses before the TRUE final fight with Fox's very own rival, Wolf. I lost twice but the third time I managed to beat him and got greeted with "You unlocked Wolf as a playable fighter!" "You have unlocked all fighters! Try out All Star mode!". Wolf was a very worthy final-character unlock to me, one I had to get in a more traditional way instead of just getting him and the other two in Subspace Emissary like everyone else.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
@ Yoshisaurus Rex Yoshisaurus Rex Happy Birthday!

As for the talk on Wolf's stance, as I've said before, would like to see a pose or taunt that showed off his height. His idle pose shows him to be shorter than a lot of the cast because he's breaking his knees bending down really low. His stance is a minor thing in my opinion though, I'd have no qualms if he came back with the same animations.

Top Bottom