• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Big announcement.

Ridley confirmed:troll:

Was this post today/after ryu and roy and lucas got released?
You mean the article? No, this was before then.

Still, while I am willing to accept that the next Direct will be when we get a reveal, it doesn't always have to be a Direct to see one happen. Remember the trailer with Lucina, Robin and Captain Falcon that was released in July last year? That was not shown in a Direct.

Not saying there will be a character reveal at CEO, for I just wanted to bring that up.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't know what to expect on that "big announcement" of theirs at CEO. I don't think it'll be anything related to new content.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Actually, after actually watching the CEO 2015 trailer video...Nintendo isn't listed as a sponsor. Which you'd think they would if there was going to be new or important content Smash U-related. I very much doubt we'll get a Wolf reveal there at this point.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
You mean the article? No, this was before then.

Still, while I am willing to accept that the next Direct will be when we get a reveal, it doesn't always have to be a Direct to see one happen. Remember the trailer with Lucina, Robin and Captain Falcon that was released in July last year? That was not shown in a Direct.

Not saying there will be a character reveal at CEO, for I just wanted to bring that up.
This was also pre-release information. They always advertise characters like that before the game comes out. DLC is far too big for a random out of the blue announcement.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This was also pre-release information. They always advertise characters like that before the game comes out. DLC is far too big for a random out of the blue announcement.
And I mentioned the whole thing because I knew there was a difference between the characters revealed before the release and DLC characters. Now I know. Still, anything is possible. It may happen or now, but we'll see.

BTW, shane, have the dataminers not completed the datamining of the latest update yet?

shane3x

Saint of Swords
And I mentioned the whole thing because I knew there was a difference between the characters revealed before the release and DLC characters. Now I know. Still, anything is possible. It may happen or now, but we'll see.

BTW, shane, have the dataminers not completed the datamining of the latest update yet?
I don't know, I was just asking it as a question. It's not like there are news articles everywhere going "Datamining for Patch 1.0.8 is complete".

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know, I was just asking it as a question. It's not like there are news articles everywhere going "Datamining for Patch 1.0.8 is complete".
Really? So, can anyone else confirm if the datamining has been finished or not?

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Really? So, can anyone else confirm if the datamining has been finished or not?
Just checked the community patch thread is still being updated since the patch originally dropped so maybe not quite yet but there are some data dumps available it seems.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I suppose that they can just be made more rectangular, like the Wii U version
I dunno, let's try out some maths.

Assuming they shrink the full roster vertically, but keep the aspect ratio, the size would be:
(6/7)^2=73.4%
Extra space given would be 6+9+1= 16 Slots, but we probably don't need this much.

If they do it horizontally:
(9/10)^2=81%
Extra space given would be just 6+1=7 Slots, but assuming the number of DLCs won't exceed 10 (>20% of the original roster), this is still too much*#.

Also, if we do it horizontally, there will be an awkward space on the bottom. Stretching horizontally again may make the roster look a bit weird*.

Now, throw ratio out of the window, let's do it more rectangular like Wii U.

Assuming we just need 2 more slots (2 Marios), there would be 56 (including random button).
It just so happens that if we change the size of roster from 9*6 to 8*7, we will get 56:
(6/7)*(9/8)=96.4%
The size change at this point actually don't matter anymore, since the shape isn't the same. Assuming the size of the slot IS 1:1, the final size would be... uh... 9/8:6/7. or 21:16.

But what if we needed more slots afterwards?

We can just shrink vertically, but the 9 slots we get might be an excess#. Any other ways will either leave too much slot, or make the image already too flat* or too tall*.

----

Idk, not sure whichever you'll see more likely, so I'll just drop a Wolframalpha input of the slot size/shape for reference:

Aspect ratio (size difference):
+16 char:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1x1 rectangle, 6/7x6/7 rectangle
+7 char:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1x1 rectangle, 9/10x9/10 rectangle

Stretching in 1 dimension:
Vertically (+9 char):
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1x1 rectangle, 1x6/7 rectangle
Horizontally (+6 char)
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1x1 rectangle, 9/10x1 rectangle

7x8 slots:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1x1 rectangle, 9/8x6/7 rectangle

----

In the end, I might just be overthinking.

*: Personal Opinion
#: You know, we can just go back with the brick layout and use up some extra slots. Just saying.

----

@all those datamining questions

IIRC didn't the leakers get info about Roy and Ryu basically because of the 1.0.8 released early in Japan? If there is nothing revealed along with them, I don't think we need further datamining. :/

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just checked the community patch thread is still being updated since the patch originally dropped so maybe not quite yet but there are some data dumps available it seems.
You mean there hasn't been anything found about even the DLC characters yet?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, where is the community patch thread? I know this is a bit off topic, but I hope you all don't mind if I ask once.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

Assuming they shrink the full roster vertically, but keep the aspect ratio, the size would be:
(6/7)^2=73.4%
Extra space given would be 6+9+1= 16 Slots, but we probably don't need this much.

(9/10)^2=81%
Extra space given would be just 6+1=7 Slots, but assuming the number of DLCs won't exceed 10 (>20% of the original roster), this is still too much*#.

Also, if we do it horizontally, there will be an awkward space on the bottom. Stretching horizontally again may make the roster look a bit weird*.

Assuming we just need 2 more slots (2 Marios), there would be 56 (including random button).
It just so happens that if we change the size of roster from 9*6 to 8*7, we will get 56:
(6/7)*(9/8)=96.4%
The size change at this point actually don't matter anymore, since the shape isn't the same. Assuming the size of the slot IS 1:1, the final size would be... uh... 9/8:6/7. or 21:16.

We can just shrink vertically, but the 9 slots we get might be an excess#. Any other ways will either leave too much slot, or make the image already too flat* or too tall*.

----

Idk, not sure whichever you'll see more likely, so I'll just drop a Wolframalpha input of the slot size/shape for reference:

+16 char:
+7 char:

Vertically (+9 char):
Horizontally (+6 char)

7x8 slots:

----

#: You know, we can just go back with the brick layout and use up some extra slots. Just saying.

----

IIRC didn't the leakers get info about Roy and Ryu basically because of the 1.0.8 released early in Japan? If there is nothing revealed along with them, I don't think we need further datamining. :/

shane3x

Saint of Swords
By the way, where is the community patch thread? I know this is a bit off topic, but I hope you all don't mind if I ask once.
http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-roy-ryu-1-0-8-community-patch-notes-19th-20-00.406319/

You mean there hasn't been anything found about even the DLC characters yet?
I think one dataminer said since itsa a changelog the patch doesnt have so much before obviously these are new characters and there wouldnt be any changes since they didn't exist then.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok and as for the big announcement

Unless sakurai is there

Get that hype out of your head now.

Its never happening of more dlc getting announced

It won't be till august direct that we see wave 3 (which by the way is when the next patch comes out.)

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101

Unless sakurai is there

It won't be till august direct that we see wave 3 (which by the way is when the next patch comes out.)
If this is like the Japan vs USA 2v2,then we could get an announcement,or if it isnt then I can think of an August direct

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Unless sakurai is there

My hype was already low, but I guess I shall empty it completely out of my head now. Still, DLC or not, I am interested to see what this annuncement.

http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-roy-ryu-1-0-8-community-patch-notes-19th-20-00.406319/

I think one dataminer said since itsa a changelog the patch doesnt have so much before obviously these are new characters and there wouldnt be any changes since they didn't exist then.
I see. Anyhow, thanks for the link.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo and Lucas were not found via patch. We did not know they were coming until they were revealed. I think Wolf will be the same way. I think some idiot on the team accidentally left the Royu files in there, and that is why they were leaked. I don't think it is likely to find more info on these characters until they are revealed, especially after the leaks, Sakurai's team will be extra careful.

Tl;DR: Wolf probably will never be found via datamining.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Mewtwo and Lucas were not found via patch. We did not know they were coming until they were revealed. I think Wolf will be the same way. I think some idiot on the team accidentally left the Royu files in there, and that is why they were leaked. I don't think it is likely to find more info on these characters until they are revealed, especially after the leaks, Sakurai's team will be extra careful.

Tl;DR: Wolf probably will never be found via datamining.
Thank heavens too

Because those leakers are ruining the hype

I mean could you have imagine the hype for roy and ryu.

Plus there would have ben so many WHAT THES..... On duck hunts reveal.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Thank heavens too

Because those leakers are ruining the hype

I mean could you have imagine the hype for roy and ryu.

Plus there would have ben so many WHAT THES..... On duck hunts reveal.
I hate to say I agree here. I'm one of those people who looks to be spoiled on characters, but I would love to have seen the hype if Royu were successfully hidden.

I wonder if Sakurai's team is going to be more careful about purging unused data from patches from here on. Seems there are no hints of what is to come beyond Tourneys/Hyrule Castle/Peach's Castle, and I kinda like it - I just need to wait until August which is hard.

Imagine if they successfully manage to hide the next patch and set it up as a 3-sharacter set as the last one, and throw Wolf as the 'Obvious veteran,' K.Rool as the 'Popular request,' and Ridley as the 'Surprise, MF'ers!' at the end. Smashboards would crash. Not to mention the eShop would be down for days...

Please can this happen?:lol:

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633

(6/7)^2=73.4%

(9/10)^2=81%

(6/7)*(9/8)=96.4%

----

+16 char:
+7 char:

Vertically (+9 char):
Horizontally (+6 char)

7x8 slots:

----

----

I can't quite understand because I suck at math.Why are we even bringing that up in the :wolf:DLC thread?I know character slots on screen and all,but math?
I DON'T GET IT.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
For new characters in an ideal world they would be presented as intended and not leaked, for cut veterans not so much I'd rather find out asap. Although with everything we know (aka my signature) plus the fact of all the cut veterans he hasn't mentioned anything about Wolf until at least SFZ we have a strong shot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For new characters in an ideal world they would be presented as intended and not leaked, for cut veterans not so much I'd rather find out asap. Although with everything we know (aka my signature) plus the fact of all the cut veterans he hasn't mentioned anything about Wolf until at least SFZ we have a strong shot.
Pardon me, but what does SFZ stand for? And what is it?

Logo12

Smash Lord
I can't quite understand because I suck at math.Why are we even bringing that up in the :wolf:DLC thread?I know character slots on screen and all,but math?
I DON'T GET IT.
Erm... Just some problem about 3ds's screen is already full at this point.

I personally like to run into problems and confuse the heck out of myself and everyone else. So don't mind meh

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Didn't the original datamined files also show 'Next/Prev page' icons for the character screen as well? The stages have the page buttons there that were mined a while ago, so I assume the same will happen to the character select screen on the 3DS. After all, if more than one person is playing, each person has his own 3DS anyway so switching pages is not an issue.

The WiiU version is another matter - I don't think you can switch pages when all 4(8) characters are on the same screen, so they may need to be resized. I think it happens a bit already: I have no Miis, so I've got room, but going to the custom menu also removes the 'Random' button, and then it's a perfect rectangle.

I would like to see a patch that reorganizes the CSS though. The fact that Link is now on the top row at the far end next to Mac, while Zelda and co. are still at the beginning of the second row weirds me out a bit. Took me a while to find him. Besides, the clones should never have been separated from their parent characters in the first place. It'd be nice if the game tried to run an algorithm to keep characters with the same series symbol in the same relative location.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Wolf is going to return and I want him to. He will be in the next wave. Probably in August. He is highly wanted and already has a design/moveset. It makes sense for his return.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Didn't the original datamined files also show 'Next/Prev page' icons for the character screen as well? The stages have the page buttons there that were mined a while ago, so I assume the same will happen to the character select screen on the 3DS. After all, if more than one person is playing, each person has his own 3DS anyway so switching pages is not an issue.

The WiiU version is another matter - I don't think you can switch pages when all 4(8) characters are on the same screen, so they may need to be resized. I think it happens a bit already: I have no Miis, so I've got room, but going to the custom menu also removes the 'Random' button, and then it's a perfect rectangle.

I would like to see a patch that reorganizes the CSS though. The fact that Link is now on the top row at the far end next to Mac, while Zelda and co. are still at the beginning of the second row weirds me out a bit. Took me a while to find him. Besides, the clones should never have been separated from their parent characters in the first place. It'd be nice if the game tried to run an algorithm to keep characters with the same series symbol in the same relative location.
Well:
  1. The screen in 3ds is basically full, so where should that arrow be?
  2. Assume we have given an arrow, and have one character pushed to the next page. On the next page we have 1 character, 1 random button and one arrow. what are we gonna do with the 51 extra spaces?
  3. Also, this doesn't seems to be a good idea; having to get 4 char selections on 2 different pages. This might work for stages, but not characters.
For the selection stuff, since the 3 clones are not planned as a separate character but as an alternate costume, and when they wanted to split them it's already too late, so they're pushed out to the last. Same goes for DLCs (not planned beforehand).

A rearrangement is possible -- albeit extremely troublesome. For one we have to get rid of our old muscle memory to find your character once again after the update, and while they CAN run an algorithm (it's time-wasting tho, either every time you get a new fighter or do it beforehand), it's not always possible (especially when there are a few franchises with MANY reps), and if you do it beforehand, it's even worse. Assuming we have 6 DLCs, it would be 2^6=64 permutations of arrangements. And if we have 10? 1024. You can imagine how annoying that is.

Also for most other systems that rely on references to the main roster; if you change it, you've to rewire everything and doing that every time there is a new fighter is again, troublesome and unnecessary.

Just saying.

Top Bottom