• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancelled: FAU Melee tournament

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Well, I know there's still another week, but this doesn't seem to interest a lot of people. I was just recently assigned another humongous project, so I won't be able to do this tournament any more anyway (I was going to ask someone else, but then looked at the replies this thread has...most are just posts from me :laugh:). I was planning on having a guy there to run SF IV, CoD5, and Halo 3 tournaments on multiple 360's, but that didn't seem to help get this tournament going either.

Take care. Hopefully more people will be interested this summer.

Hey guys. I'm having a Melee tournament at the Boca Raton campus of FAU. It will be in the Grand Palm room in the Student Union.

APRIL 4TH (first Saturday in April)

Standard MLG rules.
And all the other rules and whatnot that are always posted up.

Double Elimination? Sure, why not.

I'm hoping that people will be nice enough to bring some cubes and t.v's.

I'm hoping for at least 6 cubes, and 6 t.v's. More are always welcome though.

$2.50 off for bringing a cube, 5$ off for bringing the t.v. *May change. We may have enough tubes. I'll have to check.

Registration starts at 10 in the morning, with doubles starting at 11 a.m, and singles starting A.S.A.P after doubles.

Cubes:
1)Opus_IX
2)Opus_IX
3)spider sense
4)
5)
6)

Tubes:

**EDIT: I believe a friend of mine is working as operations manager that day in the Student Union, so I might be able to get some t.v's for us. I'll edit this again later to let you know. And yes, they are still tube tubes.

(1) S.U.
(2) S.U.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Attendence:
0) Opus_IX
1) PolMex23 + car full from Tampa
2) spider sense
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

So to summarize:

Who: Opus_IX (President of the College Gaming League - FAU chapter) hosting

What: Melee Tournament

When: April 4th, 10 a.m - 11 p.m.

Where: FAU, Boca Raton Campus

Directions: Take I-95 to Glades Road. I'm assuming you know your north from south. Head east (towards the beaches) and the FAU main entrance is Broward Avenue / NW 10th Avenue. It will be on the left. Follow the road (do NOT make the first right, but be in the lane on the right) and it will do a little S-bend, and the Student Union is the small building just to the left of the large building with lots of glass windows. Park, come inside, and the Grand Palm Room will be off to the left (inside the building) across from Coyote Jacks. I'll have signs posted up. :)

It'd be useful to have an FAU parking decal (i.e you already go to an FAU campus somewhere), but if that's not possible, there's a parking garage if you keep going past the Student Union building on Broward Avenue.

If there can be extra tubes and cubes for friendlies, that'd be great. I'll bring a laptop and gamebridge some matches (most notably the semi-finals and finals).

Why: To revive Melee

***thinking about expanding the games at the tournament to SF IV, Halo 3, and GH3 too. If this happens, price would be lowered

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
I'll come to this. :) I'll bring my cube, but the T.V thing may be a hassle.

How much is singles and doubles exactly? :)
Singles and doubles cost 10$ each. Bringing a cube makes one of the tournaments $7.50 (for both is $17.50), bringing a t.v makes one of the tournaments 5$ (for both is $15.00). Bring both, it'll only cost you $2.50 for one tournament ($12.50 for both).

It might turn into a free tournament if not enough people come, or we can turn it into a smashfest and we can order pizza for food or something instead.

I may have secured at least one t.v., there's also another in the lobby that we can drag over to the room we're in, so that makes two (kind of). I'm also going to try garnering interest around campus, and maybe there will be enough people.

There may be enough t.v's, I need to check out the rooms and the scheduling for that day when the time draws near (i.e about 3 days before the tournament). I will edit my first post with the number of tubes I have secured. Until then, if you can bring a tube, please plan for it and I highly appreciate it.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Does anyone even play Melee at FAU anymore?

-Kye
I'm just too busy to think about playing on a day that's NOT Friday. And even then, Friday's aren't even guaranteed.

But just because I don't play Melee during the week doesn't mean you and Dwayne can't.

You know, if you just say, "F*** you, I'm taking the t.v, B****S" they won't argue.

lol

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Hey, I know a guy who runs 360 tournaments as well. If I lower the price of the Melee tournament to 5$ each, and we had SF IV, Halo 3, and/or Guitar Hero tournaments as well, would you guys like that?

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
It's pretty hard to estimate. I'll be advertising this whole tournament on the FAU campus, and hopefully it turns out alright. I'm probably going to head down to ZP and Nexus with a handful of fliers to generate some interest (hopefully they'll be alright with it -_- )

But as of right now it doesn't seem like more than a car full of people from Tampa, lol.

I'll have a better estimate soon enough.

MnM

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. Although, I could only book Saturday, so there won't be any Brawl. But if you want to bring Brawl and there's extra tubes, be my guest.
Thanks but there probably won't be anyone willing to play. Plus everyone will laugh at me for bringing brawl.

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Sorry guys, had to cancel. Half of these posts are ME! lol. Hopefully next time it'll have a better turn out.

Top Bottom