• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Cancel projectiles with WoI. [Up-B/Wingdash]

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
And do you think that you are somebody reliable to my intrests? Lol, **** no.
I mean, i don't know you, i hope I can do it someday but that's not a goal of my life ô_o'

I'm pretty much known in my country and thats enough for me ;T

And my counterstrike is:
Pit can be playerd with sooo many ways, and if i want to ride my bike (with no handlebars? lol) showing off to achieve my intrest, God screw your style. If i want to play mine you should at least respect it. And I can tell you that a lot of pit's think that using AT's is some sort of basis of it's gameplay.

I'm playing pit for that reason and i won't change my player style just because you told me to do so.
If there's no one here that thinks at my way you should warn me oO'' Thal would tell me that i'm not on the right place.

kown

Smash Lord
uh is that it? I thought he could do it to almost every move....Theres gotta be some rule to what pit can and cannot cancel....right?

You can cancel out olimar's upsmash.

EDIT: lol@thebrazilplayer. tooo funny.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I admit, wingdashing is helpful.
It can cancel dashes quicker than sheilding, and cancels many projectiles/attacks
It's prbly pit's most useful AT.

but it shouldn't be focused on. Pit must learn how to use his metagame to its full potential.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
Im not gonna bother reading if this was already mentioned, but I would just like to add that a good reason too learn this list is Because if gimps. Not that you will always be in the ideal situation when recovering but knowing what projectiles you can cancel out can be usefull if you learn to time it so you can cancel out projectiles with WoI instead of getting hit (and gimped) by them.

Ive saved myself in a quite a few friendlies by Canceling out that rotten PK thunder of ness's

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
It's not useful at all, that's right. Shieldng is obv better. No one is using projectiles at close range, so it has no use.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
It's not useful at all, that's right. Shieldng is obv better. No one is using projectiles at close range, so it has no use.
You can dash-cancel with WoI faster than with a sheild.

but thats the only thing I really find useful about it,
the projectile cancel is just an added bonus.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
@Dotcom

Finally someone with an IQ that is better than Britney's.
Thank you ;]

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Shield + Shield Drop is how many frames again? *needs to go looking for that now*

Also need to check it out assuming not powershielding a projectile....

Invincibility: 1 - 4 - (5) body can be hit but technically invincible. (ground only)
Wind Box: 5 only
Duration: 195
Ground WoI: 29 Before Canceling
Aerial WoI: 17 Before Canceling
Fatigued Land: 40

A Wing Dash is actually only 27 frames.
Start up: Jump 1 - 6
WoI: 7- 24
Cancel WoI: 25 - 27
Based off this, I'm assuming an already airborne WoI Cancel would be faster than 27 frames, I'm just going to assume you take off the 6 frames from the jump and it becomes 21 frames.

Now I just need to compare powershield, shield, airdodging and WoI Cancel and determine which is best for what situations...

Weeeee for theorycraft... I should turn my wii on and do some fake situations..

SuSa

Banned via Administration
My wii is a brick now. =| Over the time I was getting my haircut, I pondered to remember why WoI is better, I then realized it.

1) Shielding leaves you with the following offensive options:
Grab
Up Smash
OoS Attacks

Grabbing is additional frames and would be your best option at close quarters against a projectile.
Up Smash would depend how close the enemy is + how much lag they are suffering.
OoS attacks would require jumping frames + attack startup frames, and likely wouldn't be used to stop projectiles.

WoIC leaves the following offensive options:
Everything and Anything
You can Fsmash if you're close enough.
You can Side-B if middish distance.
You can ftilt (probably your best reaching often)
You can buffer a dash attack (probably best option overall)

Summary of shielding:
Overall, except the OoS (not counting Usmash OoS), it happens quicker, you have better defensive options (faster roll away/spot dodge)

Summary of WoIC:
More methods to counter opponent, takes longer (especially if you were grounded), slower defensive options (have to endure your cancel lag before you can roll away/spot dodge). Small amount of wind might just make your opponent miss their attack [assuming they had otherwise perfect spacing]

I'll have to find a way to fix my Wii and play around with WoIC a lot ingame to see if theres any good distances/projectiles it can be used against, etc.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
wind has 1 frame hit box on 5 on air or ground. So if you time it right from the ground, the soonest is frame 12.

A bit of prediction needed but might be telegraphed on some characters like toonlink arrow on 18+ or boomerang 27+

Top Bottom