• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you imagine a Smash Bros. game directed by anyone but Sakurai?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think someone else could perhaps do a better job.

Sakurai's done a great job but theres a few things that bother me, I don't think the menu's are great, im often clicking back and fourth to find what i wantand where i want to go. It could be more straight forward.

Stock matches online.
Stock matches were each stock you play asa different character or something, that would have been better then smash tour.

Sakurai's tired, he should write a 10 commandments for smash and when he passes on the torch just tell him not tobreak these rules.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Yes.

Sakurai has done a ****ing fantastic job with the series, and the games would most definitely not be as good as they are right now if it wasn't for his involvement throug all four games.

But I think the "peak" of what Sakurai can do for Smash has already been reached. I can only see a change of director bringing good, new things to the table.

I approve of most decisions Sakurai has made in the past (though there have been some very questionable ones) but what we're looking at right now is likely Sakurai's perfect ideal of what Smash should ever be. The fact that the gameplay changes were far less extreme between Brawl and 3DS/Wii U than they were between Melee and Brawl, or 64 and Melee just proves that point. The truth is that there's not much Sakurai can do at this point to move this series forward, and that's something you can see both by looking at the last game, and his own words when reading interviews. I don't doubt that a fifth Smash directed by Sakurai would still be a great game, and that it would most likely still manage to surpass the newest one. But it's very easy to tell that Sakurai has already done everything he's ever wanted to do with Smash, and the only way he knows when it comes to moving on from now would be adding more to what he's already done.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Nintendo knows that this game is their best seller. I don't think we'll see it die out. Kirby was Sakurai's baby and he left the franchise because of it becoming too sequel-ized, yet Nintendo still makes Kirby games.

Not every game, movie or thing needs the same director to make a franchise successful. Take Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Empire and Jedi weren't directed by Lucas himself, and Empire is considered the best in the whole franchise.

If there's a demand or a way to print money off a franchise a corporation would be absolutely ******** not to keep cranking stuff out to continue that franchise. Is Nintendo a corporation that's known on cranking out sequels in a franchise just to make money? Oh heck yes! (poor Mario, they milk you dry like a prized heifer, pump you with steroids, and repeat)

Would I want anyone but Sakurai making smash, a small part of me says maybe not, but a big part of me wants this franchise to live on beyond one man's ambition, to go on for decades.

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Hard to say,on one hand a different director would mean a different approach with the series (more frequent updates and balance patches but one can wish) on the other hand not having smash directed by sakurai would feel really off,sure the game would be good but it wouldn't feel right not having the original director behind it.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I can see it but I don't want it to happen.I don't think the new director will be as passionate as Sakurai. Sakurai works so hard on these games without taking breaks, this time around he give use 48 characters out the gate without DLC, and he's always trying new things no matter what people think. I don't think a new director will top that, I really don't anyone that take over to play is safe. thank to Sakurai We was introduce to so many great franchises, Fire emblem, Xenoblade, Mother and so many more. I don't want these franchises to be forgotten over the big 4, and if that the direction the new director is going then just like Sakurai this will be my last game.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
It would be different yes, Sakurai always some has brilliant ideas when making smash. But Sakurai is also extremely stubborn and wants everyone to play the game his way.

So if Sakurai isnt around for smash anymore we might lose his great ideas and character choices but, we might just gain a smash that will completely satisfy the competitive community as well as the casual community.

I love smash 4 and its my favorite one but I feel things could've been added competitively.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Yes, Sakurai established the formula, and i think its possible. Look at Eiji Aonuma... the first Zelda game he was the main director for was Majora's Mask, and ever since then, he's been making great Zelda games. The Zelda formula was established with A Link to the Past.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Yes, I can. The only thing I'd be concerned about was the balance between the characters. Sakurai seems to have OSD when it comes to balance, which is good of course.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
Yes, Sakurai established the formula, and i think its possible. Look at Eiji Aonuma... the first Zelda game he was the main director for was Majora's Mask, and ever since then, he's been making great Zelda games. The Zelda formula was established with A Link to the Past.
I didn't think of that. My answer was still yes, but that does give more clarity to the point. They won't just give anyone the part, they have to be competent at what they do. All of us out here throw ideas around about features we want in the game, why can't this director do the same? Perhaps a coalition of directors would be better for the game. And we're talking about director here, whose to say Sakurai won't continue to be involved with development? My man Shigi still sticks around y'know. The context that we're thinking, is he will either be director or leave, but these aren't mutually exclusive. Most of the critically acclaimed games today are produced by people we have never heard of; Sakurai sort of falls under the category of a "celebrity" developer. What it all comes down to though, is that there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
One thing I fear is that if a director other than Sakurai leads the game development, it won't live up to fan expectations. I have no doubt that a non-Sakurai Smash Bros would still be a great game but will it be able to be better than Melee or Smash 4? It could potentially end up like Batman: Arkham Origins.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I think Sak should retire, shouldn't he?

BTW, you can call him Sak for short if you wanna?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The Smash Bros. series will likely continue for a long time. As long as the franchise does last, it will need a new director at some point. There's no questioning that.

The issue lies within what the director's mindset and directional plan are like. A different director could very easily do amazing justice to the series, or could screw it up terribly. We just have to hope it ends up in capable hands once again, when that time comes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Imo, instead of looking at every little detail in the game, he should now take a backseat and just be a supervisor and movesetter. He should continue to do what he's best at, and allow others to take care of the rest.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
yeah. Just expand the roster, include adventure mode and Melee fast pace and I'll be a happy camper but for the love of the gods, don't include any non game characters.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think Sak should retire, shouldn't he?

BTW, you can call him Sak for short if you wanna?
No, cause if you do; his legion of highly trained Nintenja will ambush you at dark, carry you off, and that will be the end. Sakurai is actually a fairy with the ability to sense when people say his name. It just makes him stronger.

I think Sakurai should serve in a creative director capacity and give the reigns to a competent lackey.

Reggie Amiibo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpadgerBadger
3DS FC
5472-6503-9144
He probably should retire if the directing and developing strains him too much, but who could direct in his stead?

He could hand the series to Miyamoto or perhaps Kojima, they both make quality games, and Kojima messes with his fans almost as much as (or maybe even more than) Sakurai.

And if Kojima directed, we'd most likely get Snake back.

But I really can't imagine anyone but Sakurai, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am concerned that if a new director takes over Smash, would he or she include retro characters like Sakurai did?
:4gaw::4duckhunt::popo::4rob::4pit:

Would he or she include obscure characters like Sakurai did?
:4drmario::4sheik::4zss::4pit::4palutena:
:4darkpit::4ness::lucas::4marth::4myfriends:
:4robinm::4lucina::roypm::4falco::wolf:
:ivysaur::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4gaw::popo:
:4rob::4falcon::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk:

Would he or she include non-combatant characters like Sakurai did?
:4peach::rosalina::4drmario::4zelda::4sheik::4palutena:
:4fox::4falco::wolf::4gaw::4duckhunt::popo:
:4rob::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4mii:

Would he or she be able to come up with creative movesets like Sakurai did?
:4peach::rosalina::4bowserjr::4zelda::4sheik::4zss:
:4pit::4palutena::4ness::4robinm::4fox::pt:
:4greninja::4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::popo::4rob:
:4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4pacman::4megaman:

Would he or she endanger his or her life and health to make sure the game is perfect (or close to perfection) like Sakurai did?

The people who don't want Sakurai back are usually butthurt over characters cuts, the salty Ridley/K. Rool fanboys, and the Melee competitive players... and the ones (bless their hearts) who are concerned over Sakurai's self-inflicted heath issues.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I was going to say this question is like asking if you can imagine a Star Wars movie made without George Lucas, but that's not really a fair comparison. Sakura would have to make 3 Smash games that were utter **** first.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was going to say this question is like asking if you can imagine a Star Wars movie made without George Lucas, but that's not really a fair comparison. Sakura would have to make 3 Smash games that were utter **** first.
To be fair, people did get mad when Melee first came out... and people did get mad when Brawl first came out... and people did get mad when SSB4 first came out.... that's 3 Smash games that were utter ****. :troll:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
No, cause if you do; his legion of highly trained Nintenja will ambush you at dark, carry you off, and that will be the end. Sakurai is actually a fairy with the ability to sense when people say his name. It just makes him stronger.

I think Sakurai should serve in a creative director capacity and give the reigns to a competent lackey.
May you please call him Sak for short?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
May you please call him Sak for short?
I doesnt actually matter what you call him. But the entire Smash community calls him Sakurai and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But if you want to call him Sak, go ahead and go crazy with it. I just don't think its going to catch on.

Last edited:

KopAlex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kopalex
Not sure if he's up for the task anymore. Feel like he's gonna move onto to other things and I'd be fine with that. I'm curious to see what other people would do with it.

Galacta Knight

Smash Rookie
Ever since Sakurai stopped working on Kirby stuff, the series lost its 'edge'. (Okay Kirby never had a REAL edge, but you know, it had a real Crap-Saccharine vibe with stuff like Kirby's Dreamland 2/3 and the freaky villains whereas recently it's felt more like all sunshine and rainbows. The only post-Sakurai game that even came close was Kirby 64.)

While I don't want the poor guy to work himself to death, and if he's not "feeling it" he should definitely take a break or retire altogether, I have a bad feeling the Smash series would take a serious downturn out of his hands.

Last edited:

Pusha

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be hard to totally screw up the smash series, so i think a smash game without sakurai's involvement would be just fine, in fact, beneficial. I think the for glory mode in smash 4 and the omega stages are signs that there are people on the smash team that care about or at least want to cater to competitive play. I think if sakurai was no longer in the picture this could be done with fewer road blocks. Sakurai has made it clear he doesn't look at the smash games as competitive games, he doesn't even really understand them competitively, at this point it just feels like he's fighting against what the game could be. What's brilliant about smash is that it can be both competitive and a crazy party game simultaneously, theres no reason to push one of those out of the picture.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It'd have a very different feel to it with someone else at the helm, but it can definitely be done.

@ Pusha Pusha
Your silhouettes are cramping my silhouettes' style!

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I think it's probably time. There's no denying that Sakurai works extremely hard, and he's done some great things for Smash. That said, I think the transition from Brawl to 4 shows that there's not a lot left he can add to the series.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I think it could potentially work but I'd also be more than a bit concerned about the series considering how many things could go wrong. Sakurai's attention to detail made him perfect to handle this series IMO so I hope someone different could match him on that front.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it's probably time. There's no denying that Sakurai works extremely hard, and he's done some great things for Smash. That said, I think the transition from Brawl to 4 shows that there's not a lot left he can add to the series.
There's not much to add to the series except characters, stages, and mini-games. I think it is time to start fixing the solo modes and the record keeping.

Classic Wii U was awful, repetitive, and tedious. Classic 3DS is guilty too but at least it doesn't have 8-Player matches like Classic Wii U does... and it doesn't have Master Fortress. It's so stupid how we are limited to two stocks per match. I'd like to be able to select how many stocks I want per match. I wish they would stop making Classic Mode a boring chore and make it fun like they used to do in Melee.

Master Orders is lame, Crazy Orders is where it's at. They need to get rid of Master Orders and make Crazy Orders its own mode where players don't have to pay coins to play.

They also need to stop making difficult challenges. The challenges are getting more and more sadistic and frustrating in addition to being tedious and repetitive. Beat All-Star on Hard with all characters? Defeat 8 enemies in Cruel Smash? Screw that!

Smash Tour is the worst mode because it's so boring. They need to just take the final battles from Smash Tour and turn it into a new Vs. mode where players can select multiple characters as stocks. Smash Run is where it's at. It's the best since Melee's Adventure Mode.

I just want solo modes to be fun and not feel like a chore. I have more fun in Stadium mini-games than I do with Classic, All-Star, and Events.

I wish they would get rid of recordss and milestones. Why do we need to know all that? Why do I want to know the time and date I unlocked something? Why do I want to be constantly reminded of the order of trophies I obtained? Why do I want to be constantly reminded that I don't play certain characters as often as the characters I always pick? Why do I want to know how many times I turned on the game? It's all pointless waste of development time programming the game to keep track of literally almost everything when they could have used that development time to balance the characters and making sure the stage hazards aren't obtrusive.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I wish they would get rid of recordss and milestones. Why do we need to know all that? Why do I want to know the time and date I unlocked something? Why do I want to be constantly reminded of the order of trophies I obtained? Why do I want to be constantly reminded that I don't play certain characters as often as the characters I always pick? Why do I want to know how many times I turned on the game? It's all pointless waste of development time programming the game to keep track of literally almost everything when they could have used that development time to balance the characters and making sure the stage hazards aren't obtrusive.
These things have to take almost zero time to program in (especially since they have been included in previous versions of Smash. They take nothing away from other aspects of the game.

I honestly don't understand why so many people spend so much time complaining about this game. It's a masterpiece. It's not perfect, but holy ****, the amount of content we have been given is amazing. People need to stop whining about everything.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
These things have to take almost zero time to program in (especially since they have been included in previous versions of Smash. They take nothing away from other aspects of the game.

I honestly don't understand why so many people spend so much time complaining about this game. It's a masterpiece. It's not perfect, but holy ****, the amount of content we have been given is amazing. People need to stop whining about everything.
This. Just, this.

I've got my fair share of issues with Smash 4 but at the same time it's very easily the best in the series. The only things I feel that are truly worthy of complaining about are cut characters but even then...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

About the red part, there is a difference between the amount of content and the quality of content. How about this for an analogy... would you be satisfied with 100 boxes with nothing but rocks or with only one box with nothing but gemstones?

Top Bottom