• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you do the rising tornado?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Can you do the rising tornado WITHOUT the usage of the second jump? Like mashing the button
as fast as you can like Melee style and get the whole vertical height? Because I know I can't .__.
Can anyone else do it? I only seen Boss's videos doing it. :/

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
I have seen boss do it irl and i know its possible since i have gained a little height doing it before but yea its hard to do.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
It seems impossible to do if you're falling because the momentum affects it a lot more than how fast you mash B.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I can do it, but its not practical to set the controller down and mash B with my index in the middle of a match lol.

Gea

Smash Master
It seems impossible to do if you're falling because the momentum affects it a lot more than how fast you mash B.
Uhhh no. You won't get as much height but you can still gain quite a bit. Goto training mode and try it.

I can do it easily. I could almost perfect it in melee...

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
I can do it, but its not practical to set the controller down and mash B with my index in the middle of a match lol.
Well when your off the stage its a good form of recovery because u can save your jump, so its good to just switch fingers real quick.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
yeah it takes thumb speed but lets face it its a lot more convienet to just tak advantage of the momentum provided by the jump

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I disagree

Any1 can just back kick you after your second jump then u have side b than nado...

Good to mix it up, always better to recover in brawl high anyways.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I can do it, it's an invaluable tool if you can do it without having to use your second jump into it.

If it was easier to do I guarantee Luigi would be higher on that Tier List I bet.

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
Yeah I can do it, it's an invaluable tool if you can do it without having to use your second jump into it.

If it was easier to do I guarantee Luigi would be higher on that Tier List I bet.
Well good thing it isnt, leave it to the skilled :laugh:

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sadly, that was one of the worst thing of using the Wiimote+Nunchuck. You can imagine how hard it was to press the B trigger as fast as possible with an index finger. Now I'm using the Classic, and I still can't get it most of the time without that upward momentum.

Has anyone been able to rise with a Cyclone during a fast fall?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I can get some rise out of it, but after the cooldown of the attack, all i've successfully done is stall in the air, which i suppose has it's uses. Although since PolMex has shown me the practicability of learning this (in this thread) I'll be improving myself in this area.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
So, how is this practiced? Just rocket off the edge and downb?

Those of you that can do it well, what's the secret? What is the wrong way to do it? Tips tips tips. Even obvious ones, please.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Zap Jump a Green Missile (charge to get more height), then try to get some rise out of the Cyclone before you land. That's how I'm practicing.

You have to have a thumb like a friggin' woodpecker.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
As soon as you get knocked off pretty bad...

DI untill you stop going away from the edge an preform the Nado, its more of timing then mashing, a steady beat, then do whatever you want.

In Brawl, Recovering High to Low is the way to go

Gea

Smash Master
As soon as you get knocked off pretty bad...

DI untill you stop going away from the edge an preform the Nado, its more of timing then mashing, a steady beat, then do whatever you want.

In Brawl, Recovering High to Low is the way to go
Not exactly true. Most of the time I'd agree, but there are certain matchups where recovering low and close to the edge is VERY valuable.

The greatest asset to doing it without jumping is so you still have your second jump. Which is amazingly useful.

I suggest just tensing your arm and vibrating on the button.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Hmm, I just suck at button mashing. I couldn't beat Star Fox Adventures past the 50% mark (the one where you have to do a kind of tug of war against someone, while mashing A). I eventually punked out and bought a turbo controller. Anyone who played the game knows what i mean xD.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
lol alias you really did? today i was thinking about that you people could just get a turbo gc controller i think it would probably work.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
lol alias you really did? your a freakin ***** man today i was thinking about that you people could just get a turbo gc controller i think it would probably work, probably even better.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I do know what you mean. I was barely able to pass that part myself. There was a nifty trick that involved laying a pen or pencil flat over the button and then shaking the pen/pencil side to side. But that's not very practical in smash.

Vibrating the arm works wonders, but I can't do that either without putting the controller on my lap.

I don't see the forced Cyclone rise as such a great thing anyway. Since you can only rise with it once in the air, you're basicly trading a large Cyclone rise later on for a smaller Cyclone rise earlier on. I see the forced Cyclone rise as more of a last-ditch effort if you purposely/accidently already used your second jump for something else (like a WoP). And for that, I need to practice.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Gea your right, but most high tier chars you wanna recover high to low.

Chars that have really hard hitting Up airs or any strong aerial than maybe, but for the most part high is better.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
arent controllers using turbo banned? :confused: or am i thinking of a different game?
Oh i know they are, i am just say i got one so i could beat starfox adventures xD. I literally only use it when my button mashing skills fail me. It doesn't even have a control stick, because I used that for something else, lol.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the forced Cyclone rise as such a great thing anyway. Since you can only rise with it once in the air, you're basicly trading a large Cyclone rise later on for a smaller Cyclone rise earlier on. I see the forced Cyclone rise as more of a last-ditch effort if you purposely/accidently already used your second jump for something else (like a WoP). And for that, I need to practice.
If you can't do it, don't try to downtalk it. It's incredible and makes any Luigi drastically better if they learn how to do it effectively. Being able to use BOTH your jumps chasing someone off the ledge with Fair until they're offscreen and still make it back thanks to tornado is ridiculous.

I've gotten many kills from fair chains, or if they dodge an Fair, they can even get gimped by the Tornado you use just trying to survive.

It's so fun.

As for how I do it, I hold my pointer finger over the B button and flex my forearm so it triggers a muscle spasm and makes my finger hit the button incredibly fast. It's effortless and allows you to focus on whats going on instead of having to consciously mash the button.

Yeah, I know it SOUNDS pretty **** ridiculous, but it works. Do what you gotta do to be pro I've always said. It's likely some people won't be able to do it, but those who can will realize it owns.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I'm not downtalking it because I can't do it. I'm practicing it, and I'll keep doing it till I can nail it 90% of the time. I downtalked it because I haven't really had much of a need for it. There's already so many ways to recover with Luigi, that I only reason see myself forcing a Cyclone rise when it's the only way to get back on stage. I don't see it as a tactical option, with the exception of the WoP that we both mentioned.

Yes, I did downtalk it. Perhaps I'm wrong and when I can perform it consistently I'll be doing it instead of a regular jump to Cyclone more often, as you insist. Or perhaps when I can perform it consistently, I'll only use it as a last ditch effort to survive, like I expect. But I'll get there; and I won't take it back until I prove myself wrong.

With that said, I do appreciate all the input aaron.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Sorry for the doublepost, but I've got it down now. maximumaaron method works really well, and it's how I do it now. During the Green Missile, you get plenty of time to put your index finger over the B button. For whatever reason, vibrating the button with the index finger is easier and faster than with the thumb.

And on a side note, after I experimented a little, I came to these conclusions about jump-less Cyclones:
  • The amount of lift you can get with and without the aid of upward momentum is nearly the same; the biggest difference is that with upward momentum, the game lets you tap the button slower.
  • By "nearly the same", I mean "NEARLY THE SAME".
  • There is no secret rhythm you should be tapping, it's all about speed.
  • Human fingers are not fast enough for max lift.
  • If your finger is a jackhammer (super-human), you can reach the ledge of FD without the aid of any jumps in a fast-fall from below the screen.
  • If your finger is a hummingbird's wing (again, super-human), the lift you can get from a fast-fallen Cyclone is the same as a mid-air jump and Super Jump Punch combined.
  • Slow-fall, fast-fall; it doesn't matter. You can get the same amount of lift.
  • Human fingers are not fast enough for max lift!
For reference, I tested this out using 1/4th speed in training mode. You have to do it. Your jaw will drop. It's God-like how much height you get without any help from jumps.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Im surprised how on this thread is turning out. Positive =/= negative >.< Honestly, if you can do it in melee style you can do it in brawl like cakewalk. i've seen samuelson's videos he can do at least 3/4s of it which is still valuable to me ;D

Top Bottom