• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can the launching in this game please get a buff?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Y' know i actually said a lot but, knowing the mods here any sort of criticism is considered a rant and, their infract fingers get excited. So im just gonna ask in simple terms - Can the launch power be stronger in this game since, it takes too long to kill in this game, especially heavies? Or can the heavies weight just get nerfed so that they can die fairly so a 120% upsmash will kill them from kirby, falcon, etc. Meanwhile their smash attacks kill at 70%.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Edited the title. Please do not open threads with inappropriate titles.

You are also welcome to edit your message to be more constructive if you don't want this to be considered a rant thread.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
There's many other ways to take stocks from opponents other than just raw smashes. Try edge-guarding or depending on who you are playing- some good combo tools (so you can rack up that %)

EDIT: I think nerfing heavy weight factors would just be counterintuitive since they're supposed to be 'heavies' after all.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
User was warned for this post
There's many other ways to take stocks from opponents other than just raw smashes. Try edge-guarding or depending on who you are playing- some good combo tools (so you can rack up that %)

EDIT: I think nerfing heavy weight factors would just be counterintuitive since they're supposed to be 'heavies' after all.
It aint counterintuituve, they kill easily and break shields. Its more "counterintuituve" to kirby whos a lightweight and cant launch them for ****. Neither can falcon smash attacks. Do you fight against heavies? Please tell me how you win without cheesing like "kirby inhale suicide" ... and edgeguarding is subjective..you probably use toonlink so you can spam everything that shoots at them.

Edited the title. Please do not open threads with inappropriate titles.

You are also welcome to edit your message to be more constructive if you don't want this to be considered a rant thread.
Your first edit, thats cute. How does it feel to own every post on these threads.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I always thought it was easier to kill in this game and stocks end quicker (at least thats the reason why the new for glory rule most have agreed on is 3 stock instead of 2).

The balance between heavy characters and light ones seems to be alright or maybe even in the favor of the light ones as they are more frequenly used by casuals and especially by pros. The big pros rarely use heavy chars. Therefore i think they aren’t too powerful. Because powerful chars will always be more represented in the playerbase.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I agree that the new launching can be annoying sometimes but really nobody dies that sooner or later than they did in Smash 4. I think we're ignoring the real issue, which is when people get launched to the blast zone, are on the blast zone line, and just hand there for three or four seconds but don't die. That is BS.

Besides, heavies are meant to live longer.....that's why they're called heavies. They would all be bottom tier if they died earlier.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The size of the blast zones can also affect how quickly you can KO your opponents. If they're too big, fighters can potentially get back on-stage if their recoveries cover enough distance; those without good recoveries, however, could face inevitable TKOs.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Your difficulty killing heavies probably stems from the character(s) you're using.

When I play Lucina or Palutena, heavies are no issue at all. But when I play Wolf, heavies give me significant problems.

I haven't played Ness so I can't really advise how you might kill heavies more easily with him, but doesn't he have some solid kill confirms? Kill confirms are independent of character weight and other factors like the opponent's DI so knowing your kill confirms would probably help a lot.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I've always felt like characters take longer to KO in this game than Smash 4, and I attribute that to the momentum in this game. Momentum is lost much faster when sent flying in Ultimate, so characters survive near the blast zones much more often it seems.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Heavies are some of Ness' best matchups. They struggle to escape PK Fire, their recoveries are exploitable by your disjointed dair and you have a yoyo that camps the ledge for you. Not to mention they can't do anything about your PK thunder spam except air dodge (which you can still follow...). You can backthrow them at the ledge at 100% and they'll die! Stop using upsmash as a kill move and use it as an edge guard tool and you'll have more luck.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Or can the heavies weight just get nerfed so that they can die fairly so a 120% upsmash will kill them from kirby, falcon, etc.
Kirby, a character great at edgeguarding, should kill a heavy faster via up smash? How about you just take their stock by edgeguarding at 50 %?

Do you see Ganandorfs complaining that enemy puffs can return to the stage too easily when launched; and should therefore get their additional jumps cut down to 2 and their fall speed increased?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do need to take into consideration the hitbox data, as an attack's hitboxes may not be favorable at making KOs if the base damage, BKB, and KBG values aren't strong enough. Also, stale-move negation is another factor to keep in mind.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I don't personally see any need to increase the knockback in-game. Smashes start killing anywhere from 50 to 100% depending on character matchup. Tilts / kill grabs start KO'ing around 100-150 depending on character.

Matches usually last a few minutes.

Why would they need to speed this up? It already seems fine.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
*checks identity of original poster*

Scrub post, nothing to see here, move along.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
I've always felt like characters take longer to KO in this game than Smash 4, and I attribute that to the momentum in this game. Momentum is lost much faster when sent flying in Ultimate, so characters survive near the blast zones much more often it seems.
You actually fly the same distance, regardless of momentum. In ultimate it's just the balloon knockback, which sends you flying extremely quickly, then slows you down quickly to keep the matches fast paced. It's why you might look back at smash 4 gameplay and they are typically flying in the air for much longer and still being KO'd.

Top Bottom