• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone show me some techniques with Mario?

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
I am a long time Mario user. I have been playing with him since SSB. I also have about 5,000 hours of gameplay on Mario in Melee. I am quite good with him too since he is the only character I play seriously with. I want to learn some new techniques and combos with him that do not use the game's physics to my advantage though. If you ask why, I'll tell you that it's because I believe in playing the game rather than "working" the game. The moves I am against are: wave dashing, dash dancing, fast-falling short jumps, and that move that involves quickly running back and fourth to confuse opponnents. You may say "Oh, this guy just doesn't like these moves because he can't do them" but that is false. I use to play that way, but I just relized I wasn't having fun anymore. Games are meant to be enjoyed and not to be worked.

So, is there anyone who could please show me or tell me about a new combo or technique that I may not know, but still follows my request? I thank you for your help.

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Fast falling is ok. Fast falling short jumps are not. I made this topic to get help. If you cannot help me with any type of relevant advice, then I suggest you not post.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Heres a Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sm7iXZMNq0
:chuckle:
(No disrespect to KPLD, he's probably better now)

In all seriousness though, you probably aren't going to find a lot of non-competitive play advice here. Most players on the boards favor competitive play ("taking advantage of physics" as you call it).

My Advice: 1. Examine why you are against competitive play, and decide if it could be worth while to play competitively.

2. Post videos of game play so we can accurately advise you.

Also, why/how do you consider dash dancing and short hop fast falling to be illegitimate moves? I can understand why people don't believe in wave dashing, but short hopping and sprinting side to side?

Oh well, that's all the advice I have for you =)

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry to say it, but that mario in the video you posted was kind of a noob. I have already said that I use to fight competitively but I loathed it. I have also said why I am against techniques like dashdancing and the sort. I believe that it is not actually playing the game, but working it instead. I do thank you for your advice though. But I just want to say that when SSBB comes out, many people are going to be in trouble when they don't have their little tricks that mess with the game's physics to rely on.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
You thought I put that video up to seriously help you out?

That was a joke... and in terms of comboing, it's extremely beneficial to short hop fast fall/use advanced techniques.

Some basic combos you could use though is d-throw -> d-smash (on fast fallers) or d-throw/u-throw -> u-smash/u-tilt -> u-air (possibly chain)... from there, just try to read your opponent, and react appropriately. Also, you could try chain-grabbing to lengthen these combos a bit.

Up-air approaches, although risky, can help to set up a combo as well.

I really don't know too many non-advanced technique combos... sorry =(

By the way, are you against L-canceling too, because that can help a lot.

Edit: Understand that there are no "guaranteed" combos... different scenarios call for different maneuvers (and DI can throw off a combo).

Also... observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0HYEkEp3gE

Or... Watch any other Eggz, Green Mario, Boss8, or Cape videos if you feel you want to get back into comptative play =)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Playing advanced and playing competitvely are two totally different things... you know that right?

Most fun-having to be had in Smash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc6I4jevT-8

This will probably remain my favorite video from Melee.
looks like the most fun ever had right?
---
as for you being against working the game...don't do it...no one really cares as long as you do what is fun however...don't expect to get much non-technical/advanced/competitive combo advice

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
You say that no one cares as long as I have fun, right? Well, as I have already said, I feel that playing without messing with the physics is more fun. So...why do you tell me not to be against it? It's just like taking advantage of an old friend.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
...I didn't say anything...I'm just showing you that it is possible to have fun playing advanced.

I honestly don't care what you do if you want a combo that doesn't take any advanced skill at all D-throw to f-smash if they DI (U-smash if they don't)

also...it's like taking advantage of an old friend? ...you are looking way to deep into it but whatever that's your view point I stopped caring about bugs and glitches ever since Gunz: The Duel was released(game is based around fighting using glitches).

simplicityho

Smash Journeyman
Fast falling is ok. Fast falling short jumps are not. I made this topic to get help. If you cannot help me with any type of relevant advice, then I suggest you not post.
I am giving you help, by helping you overcome whatever OCD peculiarity or moral barrier you have.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you are playing non-technically, Fireball spam, and abuse Mario's tilts and B-air. Don't forget to Cape recoveries often.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I am quite good with him too since he is the only character I play seriously with. I want to learn some new techniques and combos with him that do not use the game's physics to my advantage though. If you ask why, I'll tell you that it's because I believe in playing the game rather than "working" the game. The moves I am against are: wave dashing, dash dancing, fast-falling short jumps, and that move that involves quickly running back and fourth to confuse opponnents. You may say "Oh, this guy just doesn't like these moves because he can't do them" but that is false. I use to play that way, but I just relized I wasn't having fun anymore. Games are meant to be enjoyed and not to be worked.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

more specifically

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/introducing-the-scrub/

(no that's not a slam, that's actually a good read)

If you read that, and still think your way is good (which i hate to tell you, it's not).

Then have fun with
d.air -> u.air
and
b.air -> b.air

non-lcancelled, mind you.
that's ALL you have. XD

---
edit, just read something that made me laugh

But I just want to say that when SSBB comes out, many people are going to be in trouble when they don't have their little tricks that mess with the game's physics to rely on.
/me falls out of his chair laughing.

http://www.shoryuken.com/

Learn the competitive gaming community, please.

if brawl is worth a ****, which most people (excluding me) are swearing up and down right now; then there will always be "cheap tricks and tactics" that scrubs wont do.

Does matter if its wavedashing, l canceling, or as old as tickthrowing and crossups.

So you're right, brawl may not have all the fine details that made the game as competitive as it is today; but i hope you understand that if that's the case, you'll be in the minority still playing it down the road.

Jx31

Smash Ace
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

more specifically

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/introducing-the-scrub/

(no that's not a slam, that's actually a good read)

If you read that, and still think your way is good (which i hate to tell you, it's not).

Then have fun with
d.air -> u.air
and
b.air -> b.air

non-lcancelled, mind you.
that's ALL you have. XD

I second this, no matter how you play that guide as a whole has VERY good advice. It's so relevant to smash bros. that it hurts.....so good.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
haha, read the guide...LOVED IT! haha that was the greatest most thorough definition of scrub i have ever heard...thanks!

mario-man

Smash Lord
umm, you're not going to pull off ANY combos unless you "work" the game. Dude, why do you even want advice on this if you don't really care that much to be very good. (which is very obvious)

I'm just confused about your logic on all counts here. You have like double standards and don't even realize it. You will not perform any combos that are worthwhile unless you use advanced moves. Sorry to OBLITERATE your bubble here. lol

EDIT: wait, are you against l-canceling?? if not then you can pull off SOME combos, but without the other techs, your combos will not 1) be very good. 2) be of any reasonable length. 3) and thus not be very damage causing (which defeats the whole purpose of combos. Are you understanding why I'm confused here? lol)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
EDIT: wait, are you against l-canceling?? if not then you can pull off SOME combos, but without the other techs, your combos will not 1) be very good. 2) be of any reasonable length. 3) and thus not be very damage causing (which defeats the whole purpose of combos. Are you understanding why I'm confused here? lol)
according to his statement, he has to be, because it "uses the games physics to his advantage' (although it's a tech brought back from smash 64. XD)

Eggz

Smash Hero
short hopping is pretty cheesy, all programmed into the game and stuff. >=[ why'd the developers have to program that cheap hax into the first, second, and third installment of the series? ****ing douchebags >=[

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Well Moustachio if youre saying Brawl is going to eliminate the Skills of Pros and wont have any Advance Techs...
Then just forget Melee because knowing youre not willing to do ANY advance techs dont think youre gonna get good combos done...
Maybe good for you but.. whatever I dont really think that the place where you live is active in Smash so
Play as you do now.
Do the advance techs or play Melee noobish. Its quite true. I mean I cant think of any ''pro'' who doesnt use ANY
not even Fast Falling Short Hops techs in the Game Aniki uses everything mind that and WD is the only thing he doesnt do.

So yeah just wait for Brawl and you can start new with the upcoming advance techs. AND BE SURE there will be new Advance Techs in Brawl.
So dont say anything like ''Soon the pros ''Skill'' will be eliminated by the new Game Physics of Brawl muahahaha''
Just... play and have fun but no Mario here doesnt use Advance Techs.

MagiMaster

Smash Apprentice
I am a long time Mario user. I have been playing with him since SSB. I also have about 5,000 hours of gameplay on Mario in Melee. I am quite good with him too since he is the only character I play seriously with. I want to learn some new techniques and combos with him that do not use the game's physics to my advantage though. If you ask why, I'll tell you that it's because I believe in playing the game rather than "working" the game. The moves I am against are: wave dashing, dash dancing, fast-falling short jumps, and that move that involves quickly running back and fourth to confuse opponnents. You may say "Oh, this guy just doesn't like these moves because he can't do them" but that is false. I use to play that way, but I just relized I wasn't having fun anymore. Games are meant to be enjoyed and not to be worked.

So, is there anyone who could please show me or tell me about a new combo or technique that I may not know, but still follows my request? I thank you for your help.
You speak as if you were a old knowledgeable veteran, but think about it... EVEN WITH the "breaking of the game physics" almost every aspect of smash has been discovered. Don't ask impossible question like show me a new letter in the alphabet... We do not know what you do. Therefore, we can't tell you something you don't know. Just read the guides and etc.

I'm sorry to say it, but that mario in the video you posted was kind of a noob. I have already said that I use to fight competitively but I loathed it. I have also said why I am against techniques like dashdancing and the sort. I believe that it is not actually playing the game, but working it instead. I do thank you for your advice though. But I just want to say that when SSBB comes out, many people are going to be in trouble when they don't have their little tricks that mess with the game's physics to rely on.
Good players are good players for a REASON. They have determination to get better. It's not because some move won't be in brawl that the better player won't be better (DUH). You think that it is a coincidence that ALL the pros "break the physics of the game"

Just picture yourself as a very fast walker. Then someone challenges you and run. WTFXXHAX00R CHEAT? no..

Is there anyone who can give me a new combo out there?
If you don't "break the physics of the game I don't even see how you can do "combo" Dash atk and up smash? I guess things like that could be called combo...

You say that no one cares as long as I have fun, right? Well, as I have already said, I feel that playing without messing with the physics is more fun. So...why do you tell me not to be against it? It's just like taking advantage of an old friend.
Your theory of FUN is not the same as ours that's all. If playing smash at a very high level wasn't fun, nobody would play.

PWtCB

Smash Cadet

O..K.. you say that you dont have fun doing harder moves to get better in the game and the point of playing is having fun. THEN, you say you want to learn some combos and techniques? WTF. Make up your mind. The point of fast-falling and short jumps is to facilitate hits and to be able give your opponent less opportunities. They aren't even flaws in the games that someone takes advantage of (like wavedashing). Those are consciously implemented in the game by the makers to permit more control. If you want to get better, you have to work for it and to use the whole potential of the game. I respect the fact that you find those things boring and that you want to simply have fun, but those techniques are nessessary to becoming better.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The main problem here is... even if someone could show you a new combo that worked with your requests, you won't be able to use it, because combos require you to actually hit your opponent first. But with Mario's limited range and your decision to ignore basically all his movement options, you will need to be VERY lucky to actually land a hit on a competent opponent.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
He already said he doesnt want to learn FastFalledAirials, Phanna =(
Well then just wait for Brawl and start new.

Yeah like I said wait for Brawl and kick dem Professional Smashers' ***** coz ''they will be doomed'' without their Advance Techs =D LOL
Come on^^

EDIT : ZOMFG I actually even KNOW why you stopped playing ''with all Advance Techs''
Because you had nof cukin Idea how to use em!' Its normal for a beginner to do something like that.
Like you probably used it like all useless oh god I just hate that. Dont judge the Advance Techs if you dont have any Idea about it please^^
Btw Brawl will have advance Techs and professional will still Rule the game.

Oh and btw :
Why do you think Smash is so popular now... because we're all playing the noobish way you prefer? NOOO
because we ****in like to kick *** with combos and mindgames.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
lol you guys all just started to flame him a bit. Like this started out sorta nice on the first page with people sorta trying to help him, then the second page was just flame. haha oh wells I dont see why he was on smashboards anyway... Anyways If he is still reading this I started to learn the advanced stuff when I was getting bored of the game the noobish way and actaully saw on the internet what all this crap was and then thought wow I'd never be able to play that fast and I was officially stoked when I saw like the capes combo video and then watched a match of silentwolf and eggz playing in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgEx5OUQldM&feature=related

It's still like my favorite video to watch and the musics tight lol. All in all your way of fun is confusing duder whoever made this thread and learning advanced techs is still fun for me and i usually get bored of games in like a week and i've been playing this for i think like 2 years now.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
I am a Mario/C. Falcon player, and without Advanced Techs, I probably wouldn't main Mario, because I incorporate the techs at a subconscious-like level. I find myself trying to tech roll whenever I'm hit, it's automatic for me now. Playing advanced might be a bit scaring at first, but it will grow onto you.

Even with the statement above, all of my friends still like to play Smash with me, even though I am technically the most advanced person in our group of friends. So it's not about "having fun". It's about being afraid to try something that your friends might call "cheap".

Moustachio

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, I left this topic assuming that no one would actually give me advice I could use, and I suppose I was right. I have read most of your comments and you all fail to relize one key point. I mean, it's almost as if you guys are trying to avoid touching this particular subject. In SSBB there are very little "advanced techniques" from SSBM. I'm sure we'll all find some kind of technique in the distant future, but if it was something major, someone who has already played the demo version for only a few days would probably be able to find it. All I'm trying to do is prepare just a little bit for SSBB, which means I only want to use moves which we KNOW are going to be in SSBB. I mean, you all preach to me about using your "advanced techniques", but it's not like we have much more time to use them. Come on everybody, let's stop living in the past and let's all move on to a more obvious future. And again, sure there MAY be some technique that we MAY find in SSBB, so you can flame me when that time comes and not so ignorently attack someone else's most respectful request.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Short Hopping is confirmed in Brawl
Dash-dancing is confirmed in brawl
L-cancelling is confirmed in brawl (though by a different method)

etcetera, etcetera.

Basically, most of the things that can be done in melee seem to be doable in brawl. Except wavedashing, but that isn't too much of a biggie.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone, I left this topic assuming that no one would actually give me advice I could use, and I suppose I was right. I have read most of your comments and you all fail to relize one key point. I mean, it's almost as if you guys are trying to avoid touching this particular subject. In SSBB there are very little "advanced techniques" from SSBM. I'm sure we'll all find some kind of technique in the distant future, but if it was something major, someone who has already played the demo version for only a few days would probably be able to find it. All I'm trying to do is prepare just a little bit for SSBB, which means I only want to use moves which we KNOW are going to be in SSBB. I mean, you all preach to me about using your "advanced techniques", but it's not like we have much more time to use them. Come on everybody, let's stop living in the past and let's all move on to a more obvious future. And again, sure there MAY be some technique that we MAY find in SSBB, so you can flame me when that time comes and not so ignorently attack someone else's most respectful request.
But Mario's changed in Brawl. We can't know any combos now, since most of us haven't played Brawl. And it was a demo too.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
HIn SSBB there are very little "advanced techniques" from SSBM. I'm sure we'll all find some kind of technique in the distant future, but if it was something major, someone who has already played the demo version for only a few days would probably be able to find it.
I started to type a nice long rant that might be able to help out; but i dont feel the need to help out a scrub (yes a scrub), who; not only thinks he can predict the life of a future game from a demo that he himself has not played; but also has no obvious knowledge about games in general.

I will do you a favor and save you the trouble from reading, i cant imagine you do it too often. I will say however, that you need to get a clue.

____
I'll give you a tidbit of advice though. I know this wont happen, cause Nintendo hopefully isnt THIS stupid, but i really, really hope you get your game. I hope you get your party game versin of brawl; so that the masses ravage through it like pop culture and it dies. Maybe the community with be smart enough to go to maybe they'll go to other games. I sure would love to pick up GG:AC right now.

And, again, you live under a rock, so i have to spell it out for you.

It's happened before. There's a reason why people SFIIT, KoF98M, and CvS2 are played competitively.

Hell, there's a reason why CS1.5 and SC are still played competitively.

___

So maybe you need to get off Miss Cleo's nuts and check reality again.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
I think its a shame.

You come here asking for advice not wanting to hear the advance techs. Why? I mean... I hate noobs that really have some crazy thoughts about Advance Techs.

Why not use it? Its MUCH more fun than just hoppin around like a ****in NOOB. Advance techs are awesome. You do way better combos and... its just undescribable....

And not understandable for people like you! So just GTFO! And wait for Brawl because the ''Pros'' will be ELIMINATED right???
Thats what you think right??? Pros are gonna be DOOMED?? yeah? Seriously ... gtfo

EDIT : I just read DogySamichs post and all I can say is im HAPPY that Im not alone =D
GO DOGYSAMICH!!!

-PM-

Smash Ace
quit smash your going nowhere just go play a sport or something >.>

this whole thread upsets me greatly

smashking06

Smash Rookie
I have been playing with mario since ssb64 and he is my main character. I dont see how "fast falling", L canceling takes advantage of the games physics. YOU ARE WRONG WHEN YOU SAY THAT THE PPL THAT USE "GLITCHES" ARE GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE WHEN BRAWL COMES OUT.

THE PPL THAT USE GLITCHES HAVE PROBABLY PLAYED SMASH BROTHERS FOR A LONG TIME AND HAVE GOT THE BASIC SKILLS DOWN. JUST BECAUSE THEY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO USE ALL OF THEIR TRICKS AS YOU CALL THEM, DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL SUCK.

Top Bottom