• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Calling stupid edits in 4Kids 5D's dub.

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1173]Calling stupid edits in 4Kids 5D's dub.[/drupal]

Hi, I was bored, and I wanted to write something. I felt like ranting, and 4kids is easy enough rant about. No one likes them, and they just over all suck. Anyway, I was watching an episode of the second season of the original Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's. Then I thought that because 4kids is still on season one, it would be interesting to call a few of their stupid inevitable edits to the second season. Here we go...

Oh, and this is going to be loaded with 5D's spoilers, so heads up for anyone who is watching the real version.

-- Rally won't die, he'll just be sent to the Shadow Realm.

-- Kiryu's name will be changed to something along the lines of Kenny.

-- Carly won't die and then be resurrected as a Dark Signer. Instead, the Dark Signers will "take control" of her.

-- The whole "Kiryu brutally murders a cop" thing will be taken out, he will have stole something instead.

-- The Earthbound Gods will have their names changed to something more kid-friendly and less baddass.

-- Crow won't die, he'll be sent to the Shadow Realm.

-- Divine will be a really nice guy to Lua when seeing if he has psychic powers, rather than being a heartless *******.

-- Carly will have a really, really annoying voice actor.

-- Yusei will get amnesia that he didn't have originally for some reason.

-- They'll completely kill the atmosphere when Rally dies.

-- Carly won't be thrown out a window, they'll find a way to make their plot work even after cutting out that crucial moment.

Well, that's all I could think off. Anyone else?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well, saw this comming on Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's when 4Kids made it. OMG, Kirby of the Stars, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh GX wasn't enough. Well, I'm use to watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's in Japanese, it's much more epic to watch than the 4Kids dub. I wish that Fundamentals Funimation, (stupied internet spell check), dubed it and not 4Kids. =/

Mith_

Smash Champion
I know, right? How dare 4Kids take a show about a children's card game and make it appropriate for American child audiences.
This is why people rave about japanese stuff so much. It's way better.

I haven't even watched 5D's and I can belive everything you've said because they did the same with all of the previous seasons.

**** 4Kids imo.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I know, right? How dare 4Kids take a show about a children's card game and make it appropriate for American child audiences.
Except, they don't.

a lot of the edits they make aren't really about that, just bad assumptions and political correctness.
Most extreme example is music: It actually costs less to just license the BGM score than to write a completely new one, 4kids just does it for the lulz. One Piece's Gomu Gomu no storm/gum gum storm scene is a perfect example of how bad music can ruin a once-epic scene. See, not only does 4kids think children are stupid, they also want to raise a generation of tone-deaf freaks.

2nd most extreme is removal of all Japanese culture. They're getting better with this, but dear god, with the way they used to take it, I seriously think Al Khan believes Japanese culture gives kids AIDS or something. See, not only does 4kids think children are stupid, they also want to raise a generation of Xenophobes.

3rd most extreme is just random stupid **** that makes no sense, like this, this, this, this, and this, just to name a few.
See, not only does 4kids think children are stupid, they also want to raise a generation of Lawyers.

Mith_

Smash Champion
wow i watched those vids tikaro and i feel disapointed that ive spend years of my life watching that crappy dub. the originals seem much much more interesting.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't bother me. The show is aimed at 6-12 year old boys and they made it more kid friendly.

Sonic Phantom

Smash Cadet
Made for the sole purpose of enriching a children's card game. Something tells me that you watch Yu-gi-oh the abridged series. ;)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Nobody has any idea how AWESOME it was in Japanese then. You just say "children's card game". No, it's far deeper and awesome. How many other Yu-Gi-Oh protagonists were actually as dark and awesome as Yusei? How many other times did they duel on motorcycles? How many other times are wardens as crude as they are? How many times has anyone in Yu-Gi-Oh actually tried to kill someone with a giant rotating spike? This is much different, better, and cooler than all the other Yu-Gi-Oh's. You'll see how they ruined the show if you watch the Japanese version. But seriously the writing it off as "a more appropriate children's card game" gets annoying.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Nobody has any idea how AWESOME it was in Japanese then. You just say "children's card game". No, it's far deeper and awesome. How many other Yu-Gi-Oh protagonists were actually as dark and awesome as Yusei? How many other times did they duel on motorcycles? How many other times are wardens as crude as they are? How many times has anyone in Yu-Gi-Oh actually tried to kill someone with a giant rotating spike? This is much different, better, and cooler than all the other Yu-Gi-Oh's. You'll see how they ruined the show if you watch the Japanese version. But seriously the writing it off as "a more appropriate children's card game" gets annoying.
It doesn't matter how 'AWSOME it was in Japan.' In America, Yu-Gi-Oh is primarily a children's card game. If they were to market it towards anime-loving teenagers, who would enjoy an unabridged English dub, do you think they would make nearly as much money as they would otherwise? Would anime-loving teenagers buy Yu-Gi-Oh toys and get their parents to take them to McDonalds so they can get Yu-Gi-Oh cards with their Happy Meals?

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter how 'AWSOME it was in Japan.' In America, Yu-Gi-Oh is primarily a children's card game. If they were to market it towards anime-loving teenagers, who would enjoy an unabridged English dub, do you think they would make nearly as much money as they would otherwise? Would anime-loving teenagers buy Yu-Gi-Oh toys and get their parents to take them to McDonalds so they can get Yu-Gi-Oh cards with their Happy Meals?
Yes.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Were not talking about Yu-Gi-Oh first series right now because that show wasn't dubed by 4Kids, were talking about Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. Looking at One Piece, it would still show in the US if 4Kids didn't dub it, One Piece didn't even go beyond the Skypiea Arc, they just stopped showing it because it doesn't have as much popularty, and everyone and their mother was watching the Japnese one instead of the English one that 4Kids made, even when Cartoon Network was showing One Piece it still didn't get enought popularity. Looking at some of the episodes of 5D's that 4Kids made, I don't think it's the worst dub that 4Kids made, even looking at Yu-Gi-Oh GX made me realize that, I'm saying this will not bring the popularty that the first seires Yu-Gi-Oh had served, and thanks to that, the rep of the series will slowly disappear when no one watch's it like how One Piece did from the US.

finalark

SNORLAX
If the Yu-Gi-Oh dub was targeted at teens, I doubt that there would be YGO toys (figurines and stuff like that doesn't count) nor would Mc Donalds put the cards in their happy meals.

The one thing that bugs me the most is that most people don't even realize the reason why they play a TCG in the series rather then fighting through other means.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If the fans don't like the show and see that it's been dubbed bad, then money would be are less, right?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
If the fans don't like the show and see that it's been dubbed bad, then money would be are less, right?

No. With shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, which has a large children fanbase, they won't lose any money if a few nerds (for lack of a better word, no offense) stop watching.

Children = enomous amounts of money, teenagers = some money.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Most kids don't know that shows have been dubbed differently from their Japanese counterparts. I had no idea until yesterday what 4kids had don't to YGO. I thought it was a neat show, and I spent my money on cards on what not. (Not cards from the show of course :laugh:)

Lovely

Smash Lord
I blame the economy for some anime shows being censored. I'm saying if Japan have the same age watching the anime uncensored then why can't some of the anime that show in some area's of TV in the US? ♥

Oh and you guy's arn't the only one's thinking that 4Kids should stop. ♥

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ban4kids

Mallie1988

Smash Rookie
I blame the economy for some anime shows being censored. I'm saying if Japan have the same age watching the anime uncensored then why can't some of the anime that show in some area's of TV in the US? ♥

Oh and you guy's arn't the only one's thinking that 4Kids should stop. ♥

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ban4kids
This has notihing with the economy.
I blame the FCC and TV Company Censorship rules of the United States.

The singeporean of yugioh duel monsters and was unedited and had Japanese music and English voice overs.
In the singaporean version of one piece it had few edits and still was uncut.

finalark

SNORLAX
This has notihing with the economy.
I blame the FCC and TV Company Censorship rules of the United States.

The singeporean of yugioh duel monsters and was unedited and had Japanese music and English voice overs.
In the singaporean version of one piece it had few edits and still was uncut.
That's an oxymoron. And we're getting completely uncut One Piece episodes from Funimation, so the damage that 4kids has done has been fixed.

EDIT: Hold on, didn't I create this thread months ago?

Top Bottom