• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

Desdar300

Smash Rookie
I distinctly see the name "Tiger Swing" (タイがースイング) for the bottom right corner, which was also used for the TCG in both English and Japanese. With the table smash and the backbreaker right above it both starting with "Tiger" as well. Kanji has never been my strong suit, but it irks me that I can't translate the backbreaker since it's in Katakana.

Can you help me out here? I'd love to be able to finally have "official" names for Incineroar's "Tiger" special techniques.
I think the moves he's using are based on Tiger Mask's two signature moves- The Tiger Swing and Tiger Bomb

Last edited:

Desdar300

Smash Rookie
And the table smash on Pikachu? That starts with "Tiger" too.
Unless my eyes deceive me that says Tiger Slam but the writing is pretty blurry.
Also you can count in the support group for Incineroar too.
The guy was the Starter I used in my Moon play-through .
Though I love all the Alola Starters.

D

Deleted member

More merchandise with the tiger and wolf. Including something that implies the Legendary Beasts are showing up as well.

D

Deleted member

SourceGaming Interview with Suda51[/quote said:
PushDustIn: You’ve also been quite vocal about Travis Touchdown in Smash. If he was to get in, how do you think he would play? What kind of character do you think he would be comparable to?

There are a lot of characters in Smash that already use things like swords, so I think Travis would be a character that uses pro-wrestling moves. There aren’t really any characters in Smash right now who use those kinds of moves, so that’s something I really want to see happen if Travis gets in.
So, the fact that a wrestling-based fighter is missing is recognized by someone in the industry?

Do we know any possible newcomer that could help fill that gap? :troll:

D

Deleted member

They're pushing Incineroar as the main selling point of this upcoming Moncolle-GET figurine set. In previous ones that I've seen, all of the Pokémon in the set were given equal exposure with maybe one or two being the "main" one in the overall theme.

This one? It's basically "Featuring Incineroar! .....and these other guys."

It's surreal. Despite the broken base it has, Incineroar is being promoted the most heavily of the fully evolved Starters from Sun & Moon.

Whenever people said they wanted Inciniroar in smash, people would always just say "nah, he can be in pokken" like table scraps.

Can we get a role reversal now? No? okay :(
swear to god if Lucha Pikachu means no Incinroar in pokken as well that would suck.

D

Deleted member

Whenever people said they wanted Inciniroar in smash, people would always just say "nah, he can be in pokken" like table scraps.

swear to god if Lucha Pikachu means no Incinroar in pokken as well that would suck.

Fortunately, Decidueye being added in Pokken doesn't mean Incineroar's chances for Smash are null.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally, I think they went for Decidueye in Pokken as they already have a Lariat/Grappler type in game in the form of the OG Fighting type, Machamp.

Though I'd be excited to see what they could do with Primarina in a fighting game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I think they went for Decidueye in Pokken as they already have a Lariat/Grappler type in game in the form of the OG Fighting type, Machamp.

Though I'd be excited to see what they could do with Primarina in a fighting game.
What about Pikachu Libre?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I was talking playstyle and moveset rather than aesthetics.
I think Arcadenik's point still stands though as Machamp and P. Libre are both grapplers who play differently. It's perfectly plausible that another grappler could still make it into the game. Plenty of fighting games have multiple characters of the same archetype that still have unique fighting styles. Street Fighter for example has several with the likes Zangief, R. Mika, Alex, Birdie, etc.

Granted I do agree with your point that given the current roster, they likely went with Dedicueye who offers a new style, on top of being immensely popular. That said, I do hope they continue to support Pokken and add a few more characters in the future.

EDIT: First half of the post is somewhat unnecessary, I misinterpreted what you meant. My bad. :p

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Hope that wasn't a jab at me since I mentioned the Pokken idea for Incineroar earlier in this thread. =p I'm not against him in Smash though, just brought it up as an alternative for him in the event that it doesn't happen. And Pokken's an awesome fighter series; wouldn't liken it to 'table scraps' even compared to Smash.

D

Deleted member

I tempted fate by asking for a legitimate reason why Decidueye is the "most likely" when there was a lack of promotional push.

I got a smug owl being the literal center of attention in Pokken DX as a result.

But while this puts Decidueye higher on my list of probable Smash newcomers than yesterday, I'm not going to believe that Decidueye is the most likely as a result of today's reveal. Just that Decidueye has a more reasonable chance than I previously thought.

Incineroar, Lycanroc Midnight and Marshadow still have movie status, and Tapu Koko and Mimikyu still have their higher promotional push overall, meaning there's still six highly probable options (including Decidueye). So let's not give up hope, as the battle ain't over yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Plus, Decidueye in Pokken might be a result of popularity whereas Smash has different criteria, possibly because the Smash DX newcomers might've been decided before the release and thus before popularity was a possible factor, leaving Sakurai to pick based on his gut and the advice of The Powers That Be

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have the feeling Pokken has different criteria from Pokemon's other things. I think the only impositions on them was there has to be one mon from each gen and there must be Pikachu, after that the team went nuts with the "cool Pokemon".

Smash on the other hand is almost entirely at teh whims of Sakurai. Who knows what he'll do?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Pokken playable status should mean anything, so should Hyrule Warriors playable status.

I did not see the direct, just red the last couple of posts. And am actually surprised Decidueye was chosen in Pokken. It's a good choice, but now am wondering when they gonna do something with the Water type starters? Regarding the owl, yes I do think he's more likely for Smash now.

But in all actuality, Greninja is not yet playable in Pokken either. But the Fire starter of his gen was, forgot the fox witch's name. So in that case, Incineroar could be chosen in Smash instead. It seems logical to me at least. I still favor the Wrester Not-Fighting Type Fire Tiger over Ghost Not-Actually-Flying-But-Still-Flying-lol Grass Owl Archer.

What more did I miss?

D

Deleted member

If Pokken playable status should mean anything, so should Hyrule Warriors playable status.

That's not exactly the point that's being made, as the case is not that "because Pokken, Decidueye gets in Smash" (though, don't get me wrong, a lot of the Decidueye supporters are unfortunately treating it like that).
It's saying one of two probabilities:

A. They chose Decidueye for Pokken since The Pokémon Company has plans to promote it with Pokken just being the first step, which would lead to it joining Smash as well by proxy due to said promotions.

B. Decidueye being in Pokken provides enough of a promotional push needed to give consideration for Smash inclusion just as Movie 20 does for Incineroar and Lycanroc Midnight, since out of all possible options for an Alola fighter, they chose Decidueye.

Both of which are rather fair assessments, even if Incineroar is the superior choice. :V

I did not see the direct, just red the last couple of posts. And am actually surprised Decidueye was chosen in Pokken. It's a good choice, but now am wondering when they gonna do something with the Water type starters? Regarding the owl, yes I do think he's more likely for Smash now.
What about Empoleon? :V

But in all actuality, Greninja is not yet playable in Pokken either. But the Fire starter of his gen was, forgot the fox witch's name. So in that case, Incineroar could be chosen in Smash instead. It seems logical to me at least. I still favor the Wrester Not-Fighting Type Fire Tiger over Ghost Not-Actually-Flying-But-Still-Flying-lol Grass Owl Archer.
I really wouldn't make a comparison since Greninja and Braixen were two different situations than what's being implied here, but you do raise an important point that people really need to understand regardless of who they support; Smash's and Pokken's rosters are NOT reflective of each other; what happens with one doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with the other.

What more did I miss?
Black/White 2-esque sequels to Sun/Moon, with the main draw being Solgaleo/Lunala having formes with armor that resembles Necrozma.

D

Deleted member

Bumping this thread for one reason and one reason only.

Incineroar has an attack that's literally "Goddamn Punch".

If I wasn't already on the boat that Incineroar was one of the best Starters of all time, this would've convinced me. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Ok, how Incineroar uses Fire Fang?

FROM THE ****ING BELT.

And it looks to be a good KO move, don't you think? :p

D

Deleted member

After seeing this...

I'm more convinced we need someone who has this overall style in the official Smash.

The fact Smash has yet to have a true Grappler archetype, one of the staple fighting game archetypes, after almost two decades is crazy.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
YES.

I'm all for the Tony the Tiger Wrestler Expo. He's practically my favorite Alolan Pokemon by far, and quite possibly my second favorite starter Pokemon (before Charizard obv) period.

I would love to see Incineroar playable.

Oh yeah, I also made this in support of the guy just recently.

incineroar-character-ui-8player.png

I gotta say, Incineroar's aesthetic appearance would fit really well in Smash, and I'm glad with how this turned out.

D

Deleted member

YES.

I'm all for the Tony the Tiger Wrestler Expo. He's practically my favorite Alolan Pokemon by far, and quite possibly my second favorite starter Pokemon (before Charizard obv) period.

I would love to see Incineroar playable.

Oh yeah, I also made this in support of the guy just recently.

View attachment 132367

I gotta say, Incineroar's aesthetic appearance would fit really well in Smash, and I'm glad with how this turned out.
Ooh, that looks great.

Though that reminds me...we should probably talk about potential palettes.

Unfortunately, it would seem Smash is not allowed to use official Shiny palettes for Pokémon fighters for whatever reason, so we have to factor Incineroar's out.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ooh, that looks great.

Though that reminds me...we should probably talk about potential palettes.

Unfortunately, it would seem Smash is not allowed to use official Shiny palettes for Pokémon fighters for whatever reason, so we have to factor Incineroar's out.
IIRC, didn't they use Charizard's original Shiny palette for one of its alts? Yeah, it's not the current Shiny palette, but I would think it still counts.

D

Deleted member

IIRC, didn't they use Charizard's original Shiny palette for one of its alts? Yeah, it's not the current Shiny palette, but I would think it still counts.

Honestly, it may just be coincidence.

We've never had an exact 1:1 replica of an official shiny.
And even back in 2001, Charizard's official color was the black/red.

PF9

Smash Lord
I got another Amiibo name for Incineroar for you college football fans out there - Dabo. This one is in tribute to the coach of Clemson, who is called the Tigers.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Incineroar has the most appropriate Evolution from looking super cute, to a complete dork, to totally badass. It still throws me off that he's not fire fighting. I'm glad he's not though we already got the best one, Blaziken.

D

Deleted member

Incineroar has the most appropriate Evolution from looking super cute, to a complete dork, to totally badass. It still throws me off that he's not fire fighting. I'm glad he's not though we already got the best one, Blaziken.
Do you support for Smash?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Do you support for Smash?
I mean, yeah, sure thing. I'd have no qualms with he or Decidueye getting in as the next Pokemon rep. They're both pretty awesome and probably the best things about their generation. So, hell yeah, I'll support Incineroar.

D

Deleted member

Bumped with semi-related news.

Quite a bit of upcoming merchandise that relates to the anime features Torracat, which heavily implies that Ash's Litten is going to take the first step in becoming an Incineroar very soon.

D

Deleted member

I will be seeing the 20th movie tonight with friends, so I'll be keeping an eye out in how Incineroar is portrayed to get a good idea in how he would hypothetically be handled in Smash.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I think the white one would be my color especially if the flame color was changed to blue

edit: was referring to the color pallet picture but the quote part got deleted by accident

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the white one would be my color especially if the flame color was changed to blue

edit: was referring to the color pallet picture but the quote part got deleted by accident
I would love blue flames for the white tiger too, but I feel that the fire belt would be one thing that's completely untouched for palettes.

Top Bottom