• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
Count me in as a supporter. 2 years ago, I wasn't a fan of Incineroar. In fact, I didn't like any of the Alolan starters back then, but the heel tiger's grown on me through his various appearances in the anime and some cool art. I also imagine Sakurai is going to do so much justice to him if gets in.
Calling it now, Ganondorf echo. Honestly, it just seems like a fitting moveset. Sakurai will probably give him a cool different move, and his final smash will probably be his Z-Move.
Not exactly “Justice”, but it works.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Moving away from all that and to a more positive topic...

We know newcomers get Amiibos, should Incineroar get in, what kind of pose would you like the Amiibo to have? Something that suits its smug/threatening nature, or maybe a certain wrestling pose?
In t-pose/Darkest Lariat form, with a special spin able amiibo base. :p

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Calling it now, Ganondorf echo. Honestly, it just seems like a fitting moveset. Sakurai will probably give him a cool different move, and his final smash will probably be his Z-Move.
That ain't happening. If Incineroar gets in, he'll be given a whole bunch of wrestling moves. Also, why Ganondorf? Bowser fits more as a character for Incineroar to echo off of, and even that's not happening.

StormC

Smash Hero
Incineroar doesn’t have remotely the same build as Ganondorf.

I also doubt echoes will be from different series due to stacking.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
One thing that bugs me with the typical anti-Incineroar crowd is condemning the Pokemon cause he ended up on two feet and not four. Is the trend of Fire Starters going that route over done? Arguably yes. BUT that doesn't give a free pass to hate Incineroar. If it is, then every single Fire Starter should be hated for that reason as the order of release shouldn't matter more than the designs. Typholsion is pretty boring when it's flames are down, Emboar is probably one of the least liked starters, Blaziken loss most of it's homage to Torchic, and Delphox isn't a huge hit even for being a humanoid fox (big with furries) showcases how lackluster it's design was. Obviously people's opinions on the final evolution will vary, but when the most common complaint is 2 feet and not four which is shared among every fire starter but used only against some... it loses it's point fast.

It also spawns some awesome fanart.
Torracat Evolving.gif

I think the ghost typing was given to Decidueye with how owls are usually associated with night time and how they mysteriously act.
As someone who has done teams and played through the story with all Ghost teams (Dusknoir, Froslass, Gengar, Mismagius, Banette, Drifblim and/or Rotom) back in Gen 4... I can say Decidueye stands out like a sore thumb and had Ghost tacked onto him more than anything else. Grass/Flying would of made more sense.

The Ghost type has always been more focused on the spooky ghouls you find in the dark that are playful but dangerous. Decidueye is more edgy robin owl in the forest. Hoothoot and Noctowl even fit better as Ghosts.
Litwick Candle Party.gif

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
One thing that bugs me with the typical anti-Incineroar crowd is condemning the Pokemon cause he ended up on two feet and not four. Is the trend of Fire Starters going that route over done? Arguably yes. BUT that doesn't give a free pass to hate Incineroar. If it is, then every single Fire Starter should be hated for that reason as the order of release shouldn't matter more than the designs. Typholsion is pretty boring when it's flames are down, Emboar is probably one of the least liked starters, Blaziken loss most of it's homage to Torchic, and Delphox isn't a huge hit even for being a humanoid fox (big with furries) showcases how lackluster it's design was. Obviously people's opinions on the final evolution will vary, but when the most common complaint is 2 feet and not four which is shared among every fire starter but used only against some... it loses it's point fast.

It also spawns some awesome fanart.
View attachment 162601

As someone who has done teams and played through the story with all Ghost teams (Dusknoir, Froslass, Gengar, Mismagius, Banette, Drifblim and/or Rotom) back in Gen 4... I can say Decidueye stands out like a sore thumb and had Ghost tacked onto him more than anything else. Grass/Flying would of made more sense.

The Ghost type has always been more focused on the spooky ghouls you find in the dark that are playful but dangerous. Decidueye is more edgy robin owl in the forest. Hoothoot and Noctowl even fit better as Ghosts.
View attachment 162602
You have to understand that Incineroar is the 7th fire starter to stand on 2 legs. The reason it gets the brunt of criticism is for being the latest in that trend. Not that I agree with them, but I get the dislike for it.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
People need to stop going back to how things were done in Melee. Smash games are given more time and money to work on now. Ganondorf was just a case of trying to squeeze a character last minute before release. That doesn't happen now, considering the roster is largely planned before development.

UserKev

Smash Champion

View attachment 162602
I totally get you, dude. Don't let your frustration for it consume you like it did me. Grass type has a lot of weakness so it must have been given part Ghost type to sort of balance out. A Flying/Grass is weak to how many types? Haha I feel like Decidueye should have been Flying/Dark.

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
People need to stop going back to how things were done in Melee. Smash games are given more time and money to work on now. Ganondorf was just a case of trying to squeeze a character last minute before release. That doesn't happen now, considering the roster is largely planned before development.
You seriously think I love Melee? Brawl’s my favorite pre-Sm4sh game. Fight me.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Hooray, 10 pages!

I totally get you, dude. Don't let your frustration for it consume you like it did me. Grass type has a lot of weakness so it must have been given part Ghost type to sort of balance out. A Flying/Grass is weak to how many types? Haha I feel like Decidueye should have been Flying/Dark.
I think the Ghost typing is due to it being mysterious and stealthy, although I admit, it is a bit of a stretch. Dark type wouldn't work since Dark=Evil, or more accurately Dark=Jerk/Bully, with its moves revolving around underhanded and/or dishonorable tactics. Dark fits Incineroar being a heel, but it doesn't really work with Decidueye unless it's supposed to be an assassin rather than a Robin Hood-esq archer.

I'd say something like this:

That's actually a very good pose to convey its personality across. Kinda funny how it's from another famous gaming feline-themed wrestler.

In t-pose/Darkest Lariat form, with a special spin able amiibo base. :p
I would unironically buy this even if Incineroar wasn't my favorite Pokemon.

StormC

Smash Hero
Decidueye is probably a Ghost type since the owl species it’s based on is extinct.

EDIT: from Bulbapedia:

“Decidueye is based on an owl.[2] It is most similar to the pueo owl in particular, which is a common physical form of the aumakua, ancestral spirits in Hawaiian culture. This may account for its Ghost typing. Additionally, it has some traits similar to the common barn owl - which in some territories is also known as the "ghost owl" - and the extinct stilt-owl. In general, an association between the supernatural and owls was once a very common motif, as they were seen as both bearers of death and disturbed spirits throughout history. Decidueye also shares elements with an archerand common depictions of the English folk hero Robin Hood.”

Last edited:

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
I personally have no beef with Decidueye; like many others I like its design, typing and the lore behind both, and the fact that the Arrow Quill Pokemon got into Pokken Tournament DX should tell you about its popularity. I'm just a total sucker for Fire-types and I had always wanted a badass cat-like fire starter and Incineroar delivered in every way, and wholeheartedly believe it has a solid chance to enter the ring this time around.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
What are some Pokemon Moves you hope to see in his moveset? Darkest Lariat I could see as his side B. What are you guys thinking for his up/down B. I kind of envision standard B to be Overheat, where he charges his flame belt and once you hit Max you store it like DKs punch. Then when you press it again it unleashes a blast of flames on both sides of him.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
What are some Pokemon Moves you hope to see in his moveset? Darkest Lariat I could see as his side B. What are you guys thinking for his up/down B. I kind of envision standard B to be Overheat, where he charges his flame belt and once you hit Max you store it like DKs punch. Then when you press it again it unleashes a blast of flames on both sides of him.
Might as well share part of my Incineroar moveset I threw together while I was growing on the idea of Incineroar for Smash.
Neutral Special: Brutal Swing: A command grab where it rushes forward and attempts to grab an opponent. If it succeeds, Incineroar will grab the opponent and can finish the move similar to a standard throw.
  • Forward Brutal Swing: Incineroar takes the opponent by the leg and slams them into the floor back first.
  • Backward Brutal Swing: Incineroar takes the opponent by the leg and swings them overhead, before throwing them behind it.
  • Upward Brutal Swing: Incineroar jumps up and spins the opponent in its hand like a basketball, then throws them back to the floor.
  • Downwards Brutal Swing: Incineroar slams the opponent on its knee with a backbreaker, then throws them behind it.
  • Aerial Brutal Swing: Incineroar plummets to the ground with the opponent. Can inflict self-destructs if performed over an abyss, similar to Ganondorf’s Aerial Flame Choke or other Command Grab Specials.
Side Special: Darkest Lariat:
Incineroar lowers its body and charges up energy in its hands for a moment, before moving forwards in a flaming tornado. Incineroar travels further the longer it is charged up, and it allows Incineroar a great amount of horizontal recovery.

Up Special: Flame Charge:
Incineroar cloaks itself in flames and tackles upwards or diagonally. Incineroar travels a decent amount of distance forwards, but is left helpless after its ascent. The attack itself deals multiple flaming hits as Incineroar ascends.

Down Special: Overheat
Incineroar’s body starts to heat up for a moment and after a second and a half, lets out an explosion of fire around it that deals a large amount of damage to opponents. However, Incineroar also takes an equal amount of recoil damage from the explosion and suffers from a large amount of ending lag afterwards. This attack cannot be used again for another 10 seconds to recharge. (Sorta like an extreme version of Ridley's Tail Stab)

Also yeah, consider me on-board for Incineroar in Smash. My first preference for a Sun/Moon Pokémon is admittedly Decidueye, but I've definitely had time to think "Yeah, I guess it wouldn't bother me too much if we got Incineroar instead." So yeah, I wouldn't object to being called a supporter of Incineroar.

StormC

Smash Hero
By the way, I’d love to be on the support list. I’ve come around on the wrestling tiger and would be just as happy with his inclusion as the arching owl.

I’d hope he’s another heavyweight to accompany K. Rool after that fighter type got ignored in Smash 4.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Put me on the Supporters List as well please~
As long as Incineroar is a grappler type character like Zangeif and not just another Charizard or Greninja, I'd like to see that type of fighter playable ^^

D

Deleted member

Really hard to be another Greninja when the two share nothing in common. :V

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Well I mentioned the dark typing before and my wishes to see new pokey types represented in Pokemon, but like y'all have reminded me the ninja don't even have any dark moves does he? He actually has a ghost move instead lol
But i get now how the typing doesnt effect the character fighter archetype, or the unique wrestling personality that Incineroar could bring to Smash. Let's just hope Zangeif isn't the 3rd Capcom rep brought to Smash lul

Or... How would y'all feel about both Incineroar and Zangeif being in the game? Do you think it would take away from some of Incineroar's uniqueness? yay or nay on both of them in Smash?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Well I mentioned the dark typing before and my wishes to see new pokey types represented in Pokemon, but like y'all have reminded me the ninja don't even have any dark moves does he? He actually has a ghost move instead lol
But i get now how the typing doesnt effect the character fighter archetype, or the unique wrestling personality that Incineroar could bring to Smash. Let's just hope Zangeif isn't the 3rd Capcom rep brought to Smash lul

Or... How would y'all feel about both Incineroar and Zangeif being in the game? Do you think it would take away from some of Incineroar's uniqueness? yay or nay on both of them in Smash?
I couldn't "Yay" any more if my life depended on it.

As a 'Geif player, I'd be overjoyed to have him in alongside Incineroar. Of course the chance of that happening is so tiny that i can safely say that won't happen.

The two could have different takes on wrestling, with Zangeif being more up front and honorable while Incineroar would play dirty. Plus, Zangeif can't shoot out fire, so that's on difference.

Still, even as Echos of each other, I'd be plenty satisfied.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Anyone here consider Litten or Torracat could also make it in? I was looking up Pokemon a decent amount and saw quite a bit of Litten gifs and anime cuts. Maybe we could even end up with a Litten and Rockruff tag team.

KingTorra

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to defend our favorite tiger since the second Ultimate was teased, i'm surprised it took me so long to make an account. Regardless, Incineroar is my #1 pick for Smash and I'd love to be a supporter!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I couldn't "Yay" any more if my life depended on it.

As a 'Geif player, I'd be overjoyed to have him in alongside Incineroar. Of course the chance of that happening is so tiny that i can safely say that won't happen.

The two could have different takes on wrestling, with Zangeif being more up front and honorable while Incineroar would play dirty. Plus, Zangeif can't shoot out fire, so that's on difference.

Still, even as Echos of each other, I'd be plenty satisfied.
Well I would rather have Zangeif too over someone like Ken; Zangeif is much more unique~
At the end of the day I guess that's what I really want for Smash, I'm not against any character ever making into Smash be it for any reason people like to come with, but I do want those included to be fun and unique! ^^

Dejime

Smash Apprentice
Well, my prediction for the upcoming Direct (I hope Nintendo announces the new date soon):

Newcomer: Incineroar
Stage: Battle Royale Stadium
Music:: Battle/Masked Royale Theme. (It will be posted on the official page)

It's not very original but it's the situation I see more feasible. The fact that there is not a Pokemon track on the page yet is the biggest "flag" for me that there will be a Pokemon newcomer and Incineroar is the only one I can associate a specific music theme with it.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey you Fire Tigers, wishing you all luck for tomorrow! Personally, I am Golisopod kind of guy, but Incineroar would be kind of neat too.

Top Bottom