• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Burn With Passion!! -- Incineroar General Discussion (Formerly the Support Thread)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Aside from the obvious "he's gonna have command grabs", there's a few things that need to be considered for how a true grappler like Incineroar would work.

For starters, Incineroar's mobility would take a hit for the sake of balance. Not saying he'd be the slowest, just slow enough so that moving around the stage becomes a problem. Because if a grappler ends up as mobile as Diddy or Sheik, it's gonna be horribly unbalanced. Alternatively, his frame data would take the hit while his mobility gets to be decent due to movement mattering so much in a platform fighter. Either way, you can't use him as a rushdown.

Then, his combo game would be minimal. Some bread and butter stuff, maybe a few things that can be followed up by a grab to showcase that grapplers are all about grabs too? Though with a lower combo ability comes the ability to hit like a truck to compensate, especially the grabs. This, much like the above, is to avoid having a grappler used aggressively since this archetype is usually more about patience.

And also, the grabs themselves. Basically, Incineroar could have a few command grabs in his specials. He would probably lack a combo throw (and if he does have one, it's going to be a very basic "bread and butter" thing), but his throws, including the normal ones, would deal a good chunk of damage and knockback. They would likely be his most reliable kill moves and ways to rack up damage too since grabs are the best thing for a grappler.

tl;dr a grappler would likely have these things in Smash
  • Either low mobility or poor frame data to avoid aggressive playstyles and encourage a more patient, bait-and-punish approach.
  • Poor combo ability, but high damage output in general to once again discourage an aggressive playstyle.
  • A set of powerful, highly-damaging throws and command grabs as his most reliable ways to rack up damage and get KOs.
Basically, this entire post is just me trying to say that people with a good combo game off of a grab doesn't mean they're "grapplers", which is a thing I legit heard in the past.

Regular grabs aren't exactly the same thing in platform fighters than they are in traditional fighters. They're more like combo starters on the former, which in itself is more suited to rushdowns.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
What is the reason people want Incineroar? For me it was his personality, charm, pelvic thrusts and his wrestling moves... sounded better in my head *clears throat* moving on. What was the reason for everyone else? Are they the same as mine?
It's my favorite Pokemon. As soon as the concept art leaked, I loved it. A big goofy WWF tiger that slams it's opponents into the floor? You don't have to ask me twice. Malicious Moonsault was the icing on the cake of perfection.

As far as a Smash fighter, aside from the personal interest in the character, it bringing a Wrestling style to Smash and potential to be the missing grapple fighter gives it a chance to stand out over other possible Pokemon.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap. You have all my support. I will scream if Incineroar makes it into smash, just for the sake of having a sick wrestler.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Incineroar is thrown in the argument with Decidueye's arrows to the current grapplers of Smash when at least Incineroar is full of personality. I'm gonna say it, arrows are still seriously way overdone, Decidueye using them in a fancy format.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Please add me to supporter list. As soon as the anime artwork leaked on 4chan I knew Incineroar was going to be the final form of Litten. He's got so much personality, a great typing and an awesome ability. Definitely is my #1 Fire type starter of choice. I hope he gets in

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I will admit, I'd be a bit disappointed at first if Incineroar is the Gen VII Pokemon newcomer, as I much prefer Decidueye and Lycanroc. I just see much more promise with what they bring to the table, and feel that they have little to no risk of falling flat, whereas Incineroar could be an over-the-top fun grappler, or a generic wrestler that falls flat. In the end, it just depends on how Sakurai and the development team create him in Smash, assuming they chose him in the first place.

But I won't lie, I am starting to warm up to the idea of Incineroar getting in, partially in thanks to his redeemable qualities. Incineroar could have plenty of ridiculous and fun moves in his kit. Plus, both the games and the show give him plenty of material and personality to work with. Hell, I never saw his Z-Move until recently, but I laughed my ass off because how hilariously over-the-top is was. It's that kind of over-the-top fun that could make Incineroar one of my favorite characters in Smash history if executed well enough. The image of slinging your opponents around like the ragdolls they are is very appealing.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that although I don't exactly support Incineroar for Smash, I'm not strongly opposed to the idea, either. It really just comes down to how well he is implemented. Anyways, I made some recolors for Incineroar, and after plenty of scrapped recolors and ideas, these are the ones I went with. Even though Incineroar is fire/dark type, the palette swaps are all based off existing fighting type Pokemon. Some alts much more loosely compared to others. Try to guess them all!

Incineroar Recolors.png

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I will admit, I'd be a bit disappointed at first if Incineroar is the Gen VII Pokemon newcomer, as I much prefer Decidueye and Lycanroc. I just see much more promise with what they bring to the table, and feel that they have little to no risk of falling flat, whereas Incineroar could be an over-the-top fun grappler, or a generic wrestler that falls flat. In the end, it just depends on how Sakurai and the development team create him in Smash, assuming they chose him in the first place.

But I won't lie, I am starting to warm up to the idea of Incineroar getting in, partially in thanks to his redeemable qualities. Incineroar could have plenty of ridiculous and fun moves in his kit. Plus, both the games and the show give him plenty of material and personality to work with. Hell, I never saw his Z-Move until recently, but I laughed my *** off because how hilariously over-the-top is was. It's that kind of over-the-top fun that could make Incineroar one of my favorite characters in Smash history if executed well enough. The image of slinging your opponents around like the ragdolls they are is very appealing.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that although I don't exactly support Incineroar for Smash, I'm not strongly opposed to the idea, either. It really just comes down to how well he is implemented. Anyways, I made some recolors for Incineroar, and after plenty of scrapped recolors and ideas, these are the ones I went with. Even though Incineroar is fire/dark type, the palette swaps are all based off existing fighting type Pokemon. Some alts much more loosely compared to others. Try to guess them all!

View attachment 161579
Fair enough, I can understand the concern over a generic fighter (oddly enough, Decidueye and Lycanrock are the two I can see falling flat, so it's kinda funny we share mirrored concerns) so here's hoping for a fun, unique playable character.

I love those pallets. I would totally main in the blue one on the bottom. I'd honestly be very happy if the didn't include the shiny variant as an alternate coloration.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Fair enough, I can understand the concern over a generic fighter (oddly enough, Decidueye and Lycanrock are the two I can see falling flat, so it's kinda funny we share mirrored concerns) so here's hoping for a fun, unique playable character.

I love those pallets. I would totally main in the blue one on the bottom. I'd honestly be very happy if the didn't include the shiny variant as an alternate coloration.
Yeah, regardless of who gets selected, I just want them to be fun. All of them, taking all of their potential into account, can make for excellent newcomers. Just a matter of which one actually ends up getting selected.

As for the palette swaps, I'm glad you like them. I'd probably main the top right. I don't think we'll have to worry about Incineroar's shiny variation, though, seeing as Smash has never really included them 1:1.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Sure, I'll bite.

Default - Incineroar
Orange - Emboar
Tan - Mienfoo
Gray - Terrakion
Light Blue - Machop
Green - Breloom
Dark Blue - Sawk
White - Crabominable
You got four out of eight.

Tan is not Mienfoo
Light Blue is not quite Machop
Green is not Breloom
Dark Blue is not Sawk

Handy Man

Smash Ace
You got four out of eight.

Tan is not Mienfoo
Light Blue is not quite Machop
Green is not Breloom
Dark Blue is not Sawk
Alright, I'll take one more guess:

Tan - Makuhita
Light Blue - Machamp
Green - Chesnaught
Dark Blue - Poliwrath

These recolors are really good btw, if they were his actual recolors in the game instead of tints of red then I would be really happy.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Alright, I'll take one more guess:

Tan - Makuhita
Light Blue - Machamp
Green - Chesnaught
Dark Blue - Poliwrath

These recolors are really good btw, if they were his actual recolors in the game instead of tints of red then I would be really happy.
You got three out of those four. Dark Blue isn't Poliwrath, either.

And thank-you. I knew I wanted to make the recolors based on fighting type Pokemon, and wanted the alts to be diverse enough so that you can easily tell them apart at a glance, but Incineroar isn't an easy Pokemon to work with. Went through a lot of scrapped recolors based off other various Pokemon because things just didn't look quite right.

Though the same can be said for the other Pokemon I did recolors for, being Sceptile, Decidueye, and Dusk Lycanroc. The first two had several scrapped recolors, especially Sceptile, though Dusk Lycanroc only had one scrapped recolor. Still have the files for all four in case I decide to make more recolors, or if someone requests a specific one.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
Toss my name in with the supporters; Incineroar quickly became one of my favorite Pokemon of all time (second only to Chandelure) after its release and is my #1 pick for Ultimate. He just OOZES personality and its design is more than silly but colorful enough to fit right in with the rest of the Smash lineup, plus he has a Final Smash all lined up with Malicious Moonsault.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I'd like to be added to the supporters list. Back during Smash 4 speculation I was supporting Hawlucha as the grappler type newcomer, but unfortunately it never happened (and most likely never will). But seeing the more relevant Wrestler Pokemon Incineroar looks like he has a better chance to make it into Smash. It took me some time to warm up to his design (pun intended) but on character alone I love how over the top he is, which as a wrestler should come naturally.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Ey, just wanted to hop in here from the Isaac thread and show my support. Incineroar is a criminally underrated 'mon, and I wish you guys good luck tomorrow.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I saw a post on 4chan yesterday "leaking" a Nintendo Direct for tomorrow. I brushed it off as "too good to be true" with announcements for new courses for Mario Kart 8 and an Incineroar, and later Isaac, reveal. I still am skeptical of it, but calling Final Fantasy XV Pocket's on the console and getting the correct date for tomorrow before Nintendo announced it themselves at least gives me a little hope.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Coming over from the Isaac thread to wish you all good luck on getting your Pokemon tomorrow. All the cards seem to be in Incineroar's favor, and why not reveal him in a general direct where most Pokemon fans will be watching?

I saw a post on 4chan yesterday "leaking" a Nintendo Direct for tomorrow. I brushed it off as "too good to be true" with announcements for new courses for Mario Kart 8 and an Incineroar, and later Isaac, reveal. I still am skeptical of it, but calling Final Fantasy XV Pocket's on the console and getting the correct date for tomorrow before Nintendo announced it themselves at least gives me a little hope.
I believe that's the one that said it was at 10 AM ET air time and it was going to be 27 minutes long, which are unfortunately both false.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Coming over from the Isaac thread to wish you all good luck on getting your Pokemon tomorrow. All the cards seem to be in Incineroar's favor, and why not reveal him in a general direct where most Pokemon fans will be watching?

I believe that's the one that said it was at 10 AM ET air time and it was going to be 27 minutes long, which are unfortunately both false.
I didn't catch that part, but I'm guessing that's the same one. It was too good to be true anyway (really, is it too much to ask for more tracks in MK8?).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I didn't catch that part, but I'm guessing that's the same one. It was too good to be true anyway (really, is it too much to ask for more tracks in MK8?).
Agreed on that. Still surprised that Deluxe didn't add at least another cup or two when it was released. It was the perfect time to.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Agreed on that. Still surprised that Deluxe didn't add at least another cup or two when it was released. It was the perfect time to.
Totally, it held the top seller spot for a good while and currently is second only to Odyssey (which should have content in MK8 if you ask me).

Anyhoo, I look forward to the direct but will keep expectations low. I'm thinking we may get a Smash-centric one next month, which would be perfect for Incineroar since its official reveal was during that month.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well my money's on a Pokemon reveal tomorrow if any at all so the next question is who?

Let's see if Sakurai agreed with the anime team for a second time.

D

Deleted member

Oh jeez. How haven't I seen this thread yet? Incineroar is my fav starter from this region and my most wanted Pokemon(With a realistic chance). Love this feline. And there's a good chance we see a Pokemon tomorrow at the direct. Keep those eyes open. HYPE.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Incineroar is one of the most likely candidates for a reveal tomorrow. He's a good choice for a more general appeal and would be a bit of a breather after the insane Simon/K. Rool dual reveal.

I'm personally hoping for Banjo but I think Incineroar would be great for Smash. Good luck! Hope to meet you in the ring with K. Rool in December. :ultkrool:

D

Deleted member

I think Incineroar is one of the most likely candidates for a reveal tomorrow. He's a good choice for a more general appeal and would be a bit of a breather after the insane Simon/K. Rool dual reveal.

I'm personally hoping for Banjo but I think Incineroar would be great for Smash. Good luck! Hope to meet you in the ring with K. Rool in December. :ultkrool:
I'll take a character reveal as a breather everyday of the week :laugh: especially when its a good Pokemon

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

But I won't lie, I am starting to warm up to the idea of Incineroar getting in, partially in thanks to his redeemable qualities. Incineroar could have plenty of ridiculous and fun moves in his kit. Plus, both the games and the show give him plenty of material and personality to work with. Hell, I never saw his Z-Move until recently, but I laughed my *** off because how hilariously over-the-top is was. It's that kind of over-the-top fun that could make Incineroar one of my favorite characters in Smash history if executed well enough. The image of slinging your opponents around like the ragdolls they are is very appealing.

View attachment 161579
Those are some sick designs! I'm gonna do the orange and green ones if this turns out to happen

I do wonder if you shall make a Lucario colored alt

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Those are some sick designs! I'm gonna do the orange and green ones if this turns out to happen

I do wonder if you shall make a Lucario colored alt
Thank-you! Glad you like them.

Funny enough, one of Incineroar's scrapped palette swaps was based off Luxray, but once it was done, it ended up looking too much like Lucario, ha.

I made recolors for Decidueye, Lycanroc, and Incineroar. Should one of those three end up being revealed for Smash, I'll make another batch of palette swaps for them. If anyone here has any ideas for palette swaps they'd like to see for Incineroar, preferably based off another Pokemon, let me know.

D

Deleted member

Incinerator chances are still good let’s hope for the best. And see if he comes.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
What leak?
Someone gave a leak that claimed Isaac and Incineroar would be revealed in the now delayed Nintendo Direct. Said leak also said FFXV Pocket Edition would come to the Switch. With that said, forget the leak. It got several details wrong, like the run time and the original time the Direct would air.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 161579
I actually really dig a few of these. The Yellow, Green, and pale blue in particular. So nice work dude.

D

Deleted member

It's only recently that I've been giving the idea of Incineroar being playable much thought. Mainly because I just thought Decidueye and Lycanroc were more likely. But Vergeben has been calling a lot of stuff right and he claims that neither Decidueye or Lycanroc will be playable. Plus, my confidence in Decidueye's chances is not as high as it once was anyway.

Outside of Decidueye and Lycanroc I do think Incineroar is viable possibility and I think he'd be a great character to play as. Tag me in as a supporter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom