• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
True enough. Whenever I see a comic of them talking I imagine what their voices would actually be. It's quite amusing at times. I like to think of the ICies as a duo that has a small rivalry with one another, like they always need to out-do the other, yet if the other needs help in any way, they'll be right there to help them. Kinda like a "What've we got to lose?" mentality, but at the same time always being sure that they won't hurt themselves too much. Almost like a Tom and Jerry like thing, but with none of that chasing stuff. It's really fun to imagine just what the ICies would be like if they were real. Lol.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
True enough. Whenever I see a comic of them talking I imagine what their voices would actually be. It's quite amusing at times. I like to think of the ICies as a duo that has a small rivalry with one another, like they always need to out-do the other, yet if the other needs help in any way, they'll be right there to help them. Kinda like a "What've we got to lose?" mentality, but at the same time always being sure that they won't hurt themselves too much. Almost like a Tom and Jerry like thing, but with none of that chasing stuff. It's really fun to imagine just what the ICies would be like if they were real. Lol.
Tom and Jerry is NOT a friendly relationship. That mouse goes out of it's way to screw that cat over whenever it possibly can, and the cat always get's **** for it. I hate Jerry.

I like to imagine them as more of a Finn and Jake relationship (duh), where one is super adventurous, and righteous, while the other is just the downest person alive.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I never liked Adventure Time much.

And Jerry only goes out to kill Tom once he gets on his nerves. Jerry's like Tom's guy to make sure he stays in line. Otherwise Jerry just tries to live a normal life.

But ya, there are definitely flaws in that comparison. I honestly just said the first thing that made some sort of sense in my mind. If you've ever seen the first Tom and Jerry movie, you could see where I was coming from. They're good friends throughout most of it.

And whenever one brings the other close to death, they do try to save one another. I dunno, that's just me.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I never liked Adventure Time much.

And Jerry only goes out to kill Tom once he gets on his nerves. Jerry's like Tom's guy to make sure he stays in line. Otherwise Jerry just tries to live a normal life.

But ya, there are definitely flaws in that comparison. I honestly just said the first thing that made some sort of sense in my mind. If you've ever seen the first Tom and Jerry movie, you could see where I was coming from.
I was watching an episode when I still had Boomerang, and it was one where Tom was going to the beach. Jerry sneaks in the car, and tortures him for no reason the entire way there. After they get there, he continues to torture him, ruin his day, and steal his girl. I couldn't believe it, because I always thought Jerry was supposed to be the good guy from when I watched the show as a kid. Jerry's evil, and Tom's his b****.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Is that from one of these newer shows? Cause the old ones are a lot better...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Is that from one of these newer shows? Cause the old ones are a lot better...
Nah man older, cracked screens, roaring lion at the end credits, and everything. I never watch the new stuff for Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes. They're terrible.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya. Old school is better than this day's stuff. But I wouldn't say today's stuff is the worst thing in the world. There are quite a few shows (won't say which) that are much, much worse than the Tom and Jerry shows we have now.

Getting back on topic, how old are the ICies? It might offer us a better idea of what their voices would be like if they weren't going to be voiced by the same person that does them in Smash.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Ness was the one character of the main four in EarthBound that didn't talk. AT. ALL. And look how well that game did once it came to the virtual console. Characters that don't talk don't make any part of their game bad. It's the story the game tells and/or how memorable it is. That's what makes a good game.
I love EarthBound, but the silent characters was one thing I did not appreciate. Once Paula, Jeff, and Poo joined your team, they stayed silent, even though we know they can speak. It really slows down their character development since the game centers around Ness. I mean, what was Poo's character development? It doesn't seem to me that he changed during the course of their journey. Jeff seems to have repaired his relationship with his dad, but I wonder how much of that was Jeff's doing as opposed to Dr. Andonuts becoming aware of his son's mortality and trying to make up for lost time after the defeat of Giygas. Paula... uh, I don't know. Ness's character development is also hard to gauge because we don't really know much about how he is in the beginning of the game. He's chubby, according to some NPCs, and he seems like a stand-up guy. He's friends with Pokey when nobody else will talk to him (due to being a little jerk). But unlike Lucas, for example, who had to overcome his cowardice to save the people he loved, I'm not sure what you can say Ness overcame in terms of a personal flaw. The game tells you "Ness, you've grown" but in what way?

This article, while long and sometimes overbearing, has some very interesting insights into what EarthBound is "about" and what gives it its "oomph." I'm not sure if I agree with all of them, but the one that stuck out as putting the whole game into perspective is "Earthbound is an RPG about RPGs." A metaRPG, if you will.

The following long quote is the conclusion of the article and what I want to point out about why EarthBound is so effective. Because... "watching the characters grow" is not something I would ever list in my reasons of "why I love EarthBound." But all this stuff? This is what I found enchanting about the game.

EarthBound is an RPG about RPGs and what makes them such fun to play.

Right, right − a game about games. That's what everyone in the high-brow game design business is doing today. But EarthBound is close to twenty years old now. Itoi and APE were doing meta before the word entered the video gaming vernacular.

It succeeds so brilliantly because this isn't immediately apparent. Unlike a wide swath of the contemporary indie-meta crop, a player can enjoy and understand EarthBound without ever noticing or thinking about the game's sharp sense of self-awareness. It doesn't insist on being read of a self-aware text. All of the "meta" content is so seamlessly integrated with everything else that it can be easy not to be conscious of it. Moreover, it's not trying to impress anyone. Itoi didn't designEarthBound to show off how clever he was; nor was he ever one of those GAMES ARE VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS types. I think he was simply fascinated by the peculiar experience of the RPG trip and wrote the game to express and explore his fascination in a playful way.
[...]
There are the innumerable minor bits: the sign asking people not to trample the flowers that can only be read when Ness is positioned right in a flowerbed. The jokes on the player involving a picture postcard in the Happy Happy Village, a house for sale in Onett, and a device called Super Orange Machine. All those little instances where the narration calls attention to what's going on and seems to react to it along with the player. And there are the bigger and more obvious instances: Buzz Buzz's frankly telling the player that Ness's journey will be pretty much the same as any RPG hero's arc. Frank Fly congratulating the player on reaching the game's first milestone (beating the first real boss, Frank Fly) and encouraging her to keep going. The game's heart-to-heart "chats" with the player in Saturn Valley and Tenda Village; Brick Road's meditations on dungeon design; Dr. Andonuts's insistence that the player press the button to take the Phase Distorter into the past; the return journey remaining in the player's control.

And of course there's the fourth wall-breaking final battle. Remember the movie The Neverending Story? The whole purpose of Atreyu's adventure in the book is to reach the heart of the boy reading the book, whose emotional investment in the "imaginary" world within its pages is the only thing that can save it. InEarthBound − well, what needs to be added but the oft-pointed out fact that the first time player will almost certainly be praying for the heroes' victory even before the game mentions it?

Beyond this, EarthBound really isn't "about" anything that any other 16-bit RPG isn't. It's about another hero's journey through another imaginary world, and about the people he meets, the struggles he pushes through along the way, and his return home when his work is done. That's pretty much all console RPGs are ever about, and EarthBound is no exception. But the difference is in the details, and we know that its architects pay very close attention to those. Despite (or because of?) its meandering pace, relative lack of drama, and cutesy pseudo-Peanuts aesthetic, EarthBound's trip is more interesting, funnier, stranger, sadder, and memorable than the rest of the 16-bit crop.

Games aren't serious business, but sometimes a good game is precisely what we need.

What Itoi gets is that the game (any game) is a means to an end. What matters ultimately is what it makes the player think, and more importantly, how the experience of playing it makes her feel. Your RPG can have a thunderous orchestral soundtrack, a thousand bonus quests, multimillion dollar graphics, and thirty hours of voice acted cutscene drama, but if all of this fails to tickle the player's brain and emotions, you're not doing your job correctly. EarthBound was designed with this result in mind; it plays around with what RPGS essentially do in order to do it more effectively. (What do RPGs do? Well − they make a world come alive in a player's mind while placing the player in an active role within that world. That's as good a guess as I got.)
I try to get us back on topic and end up with a long spiel on video games. Oh, the irony.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Ya. Old school is better than this day's stuff. But I wouldn't say today's stuff is the worst thing in the world. There are quite a few shows (won't say which) that are much, much worse than the Tom and Jerry shows we have now.
I feel like you were going to say Adventure Time... It's cool, not for everyone (but I have to say I only like the first 4 seasons, the rest is absolute garbage kinda like Spongebob).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
When you get through Magicant, that's supposed to be Ness overcoming the evil in his mind (Ness' Nightmare). It says it in the game's dialogue somewhere.

The quote "Ness, you've grown." is basically stating that Ness didn't know about his powers before the journey, and now he gets it. Ness has matured over the journey by encountering things he never would have had he not gotten out of bed that one night. The game itself is about maturity, though I can see how someone can miss it. Because you've probably felt sad throughout the game, while other times were quite fun and happy. But at the end of the game, everything gets serious. And by overcoming that and returning to a quirky, now peaceful world afterward shows that you have overcome your obstacles, and grown through it. It's basically saying to have fun, and not take everything so seriously (unlike LoZ: MM, where you've got a three day timer counting down to the end of the world). In EarthBound, you can zip through it as fast as you want, or take it slow and live in the moments. It really works.

I feel like you were going to say Adventure Time... It's cool, not for everyone (but I have to say I only like the first 4 seasons, the rest is absolute garbage kinda like Spongebob).
No, it's not the worst thing ever, just something I could never get into. The characters motives and all the corny stuff just doesn't fit well for me. There's stuff that I think is far worse than Adventure Time. Like Spongebob. That show is one of the worst things on the planet...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No, it's not the worst thing ever, just something I could never get into. The characters motives and all the corny stuff just doesn't fit well for me. There's stuff that I think is far worse than Adventure Time. Like Spongebob. That show is one of the worst things on the planet...
Lol to each their own. Watching the first 3 seasons of Spongebob, after years of not watching it is amazing. It was a revolutionary show, created it's own humor, and established the importance of cinematography in cartoons. In my opinion the first 3 season (and the first movie), is some of the best TV of all time.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I actually like the temple stage and it's music I also like the 3ds version but I'm not sure if I can say that here.
About ice climbers, my favorite of the solutions that people suggest is sprite climbers since they don't need to change their gameplay
Your secret is safe with me.
Playable Speedo Bear, Condor costume for Ridley when he does.
Oh, that gives me an idea for a screenshot for ICies on the Smash website where they grab onto Ridley and pretend he's a condor.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I like to imagine them as more of a Finn and Jake relationship (duh), where one is super adventurous, and righteous, while the other is just the downest person alive.
Joy and Sadness

Inside Out representation for SSB5 confirmed!

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I would love to see them back but there probably going to be a Medium or low tier because sakurai might take away the wobble

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would love to see them back but there probably going to be a Medium or low tier because sakurai might take away the wobble
That's fine, I just want them back. Plus they can get buffs in other places, so it's not like it's impossible for them to be viable without chain grabs.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wobble is gone already in brawl, so thats not coming back. I think as best there might be cool footstoolstuff in this engine, but i dont think the old footstool locks would work since they are probably aware of that.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I think ICs desyncs were more interesting than the grabs, but the latter did wonders for them in both games.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I just want IC to have some kind of unique playstyle. Hell, even if its just tactical desyncing I'll be happy :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
GEEZ! That is a lot of characters!!!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey supporters.

There's only one more month to go for the ballot, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on every character people want in Smash:

http://smashboards.com/threads/individual-character-poll-poll-finale-extravaganza.410404/
Hundreds of votes have been cast. If you haven't voted yet please do. Thanks. :)

Spreading the word would be appreciated. :)
Finished. Didn't know which ones I did, and didn't so I decided to do them all, all over again. Holy crap. That's all of them right? Or are you still adding more?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well its more Ice Climbers content. Don't see what's so wrong with that.
I get that he's one of your mains, but I hate Toon Link with a burning passion. I think a MegaMan Iceman costume would be more appropriate, and a better nod than this.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I get that he's one of your mains, but I hate Toon Link with a burning passion. I think a MegaMan Iceman costume would be more appropriate, and a better nod than this.
Mega Man isn't a Nintendo property though (it should be, Nintendo should get on fixing that) so it would be way harder to get than just a Ice Climber costume. How would a Mega Man costume be more appropriate?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Mega Man isn't a Nintendo property though so it would be way harder to get than just a Ice Climber costume. How would a Mega Man costume be more appropriate?

This is IceMan, a MegaMan villain. If you put a similar coat on MegaMan, it would actually reference something real in the MegaMan series, all the while giving a nod the the IC's (which he obviously shares a resemblance). Putting a winter coat on Toon Link is just random, and makes no sense.

Not that it looks bad or anything (whoever did this did a really good job), and I'm sorry if I'm sounding discouraging, it's just that I hate Toon Link, and the character choice for this costume doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

This is IceMan, a MegaMan villain. He bares an obvious resemblance to the IC's for one, so putting an similar coat on MegaMan would actually reference something real in the MegaMan series, all the while giving a nod the the IC's. Putting a winter coat on Toon Link is just random, and makes no sense.

Not that it looks bad or anything (whoever did this did a really good job), and I'm sorry if I'm sounding discouraging, it's just that I hate Toon LInk, and the character choice for this costume doesn't make sense to me.
The character choice of Ice Man from Mega Man is even more random. Pulling a costume based off a character from another Nintendo game makes sense since the game also has other costumes based off other Nintendo characters (Hammer Bros). Ice Man is a random Mega Man boss and including a costume of him in the game would be entirely random. It literally would make no sense for a random Ice Man costume to be in a Zelda game.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The character choice of Ice Man from Mega Man is even more random. Pulling a costume based off a character from another Nintendo game makes sense since the game also has other costumes based off other Nintendo characters (Hammer Bros). Ice Man is a random Mega Man boss and including a costume of him in the game would be entirely random. It literally would make no sense for a random Ice Man costume to be in a Zelda game.
Is this in a Zelda game? I thought it was just random fan art.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How does it look like fan art? Its literally a game render. Whatever. Also why do you hate Toon Link?
It's a 3DS render. Fan art has started to look pretty good as of late if you haven't noticed. With Smashified, and everyone else trying their hand at 3D modeling, it's not like high quality fan art is a rarity these days.

As for Toon Link, I just don't like the art style, the voice, the cat eyes, it's all so off-putting. WindWaker is great, and games like 4 swords, and Spirit Tracks are solid too, I have nothing against them, but I will forever hate the "Toon" look, and his inclusion in Smash only further irks me.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Hey supporters.

There's only one more month to go for the ballot, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on every character people want in Smash:

http://smashboards.com/threads/individual-character-poll-poll-finale-extravaganza.410404/
Hundreds of votes have been cast. If you haven't voted yet please do. Thanks. :)

Spreading the word would be appreciated. :)
Done. I voted yes for every veteran and was a bit more lenient on some characters I like disregarding their status.

Ice Man just gave me an idea for an ICies trailer. Maybe there could be a part where Mega Man knocks down Popo and starts using the Ice Shot, but then Nana hurls herself at him to avenge Popo. It could vary depending on how/if they end up changing.

Top Bottom