• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Break dancing

Game & Watch

Smash Lord
Hey I don't know how 2 breakdance even if u gave me gameqube with SSBM (which if u did I'd break more bones then Tony Hawk practicing) I just say it on T.V.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Thanks to Red Cell and MK for helping me out. Cell, you're totally right about not paying attention to the music while you break. Heh, I noticed you want to concentrate on the moves, and NOT the music... or anything else. I was trying out the windmill a while ago, and just as I swung off to spin, I suddenly thought: "Wait, is it the right side, or the-" then SMACK! I hit my head on the side of the coffee table. Lol, I think it'll be a while before I try thinking while doing something like that...

-I

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, I'm not that good at break dancing, you guys act like I'm an expert. The truth is I suck at it. I just made this topic to learn how to do it. I can break dance - as in the coffee grind. But I'm working on my head spin. It's mad hard. I don't live in the ghetto - no. But I loved seeing people spin on their head and always wanted to do it. So I'm trying it now. I can get one rotation and then I fall, It's really weak, nothing to brag about at all.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Same things happen to me, Evil Eye. It was so cool when we finall got our basement carpeted, there was tons of room. I was totally into breakdancing, and my basement was just one big room at the time, which was awesome. I could break in the middle and keep going forever and not smash my face into a wall or kick lamps off the table. I once knocked the computer (this one) monitor off the desk while making an attempt to spin on my head, and I kicked it. Lucky my friend caught it just in time. My monitor sux, though. He should have just let it smash, but my parent would kill me.

I don't pay attention to the music while I'm dancing, but it sorta gets me in the circle, really. And I can't find that song I'm looking for. Well, I can, just not on my own. KaZaA only has one mix of it, and it's definitely not the one I'm looking for.

Foosball tables hurt, keep away while breaking.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Man, you could call it the Break Room. You're lucky, to have that much room to practice. I'm all paranoid after hitting my head. I think I'm gonna have nightmares tonight about trying to practice, and..... tables... so...... many..... tables... :p

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yes i know i'm resurrecting this topic after like 8 months, try not to hurt me to much. Anyway, can someone help me with my 1990's or 2000's? I got my handstand down, i can do it for like 8 seconds. So yea any help is appreciated.

SuperSpy

Smash Champion
About to burn down X's house, because I wasn't inv
I can kind of break dance. Well, better than anyone at school. I want one of those wooden floors in my room. I could practice a lot. I've tried spinning on my head before, but it is painful. I still have much to learn. I have done the worm too, but my sister said I looked stupid. Pure jealousy. ;)

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I breakdance/rap. I do the breakdancing moves, but also do those rap moves in bewteen. Quite funny to watch, concidering I'm skinny and tall lol!

Evil Mewtwo

Smash Journeyman
X's garage stealing parts for his Honda CRX that I
In response to some 1st page posts...

MK - The reason u get more momentum from spreading your legs apart after having them closed is because it's like throwing something, you throw the weight of your legs, increasing speed again.

BL - My coach has us do this for football: to get your neck muscles stronger, have someone help you with this. Get down on one knee, and put your head down. The other person puts there hand on your head and puts a little force on it as you bring your head up. Then they put much force on your head back down, and you try to keep them from pushing your head down, but dont try so hard you tear something. Repeat this a couple of times every day. You dont want to do it like 5 times all at once, if you want to do it a lot, then do a couple every couple of hours or something.

I love to breakdance, but its kidna hard to practice my moves cuz I dont really have a space to do them in. I can do the worm (who can't!?), I can do the worm backwards (that takes mad skillz), windmill, the turtle, 6-step, and uprocks. Everything else I can kinda do, but only for a little while. I learned all my stuff from the best place in the world... the internet!

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Aight I'm resurrecting this thread because I KNOW there are a lot of bboys on Smashboards and I'd like an official bboy thread. This can be it.

I really need help with flares and I was wondering if anyone had advice that they can give from what they learned after they got that first flare? Whenever something clicks and you finally get that move, you can always give advice besides the basics of how to do that move.
This is my friend's flare guide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1-s3gE-3E

What would you add?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
uh what help me with getting more than one flare was just to remember that you are trying to get really high in the back. Like my problem was that I swung to too hard with my initial leg and didnt think to swing just as hard with the second leg, which you have to do to get high in the back.

once i started doing that a lil better, I started getting caught up in the momentum, and my body would get tangled becuz i didnt put my second hand down fast enough.

i can only hit about 3 or 4 on average. Flares are annoyingly hard. They arent like other power moves where if you get the motion down you can do them forever.[Like once you learned how to connect a mill with another one you could mill for as long as possible before you got tired] But it's different with flares, you have to practice just to be able to do more rotations.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i dont break but ive been popping for like 10 years now and always been around breakers..keep this thread alive

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I can breakdance. I've been doing it for 7 months

Here's my first battle (I'M ON THE RIGHT)
<object width="576" height="432" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1148565507909" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1148565507909" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="576" height="432"></embed></object>

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I've been bboying for a little over 2 years now, traveled around the country for a couple of jams, so I have decent experience.

Also, the first few pages of this thread make me sick....

edit:

Me, Moe, Lavos, and Hayato are the best smash bboys and will smoke all of you :)

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I don't break, but I do do a little poppin' and some locking too. Yes those are two wholly different dancestyles for those who don't know.

I actually love locking more, since it's so **** funky! xD I love it when someone can do it right.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
YES, locking is amazing. I lock but I don't consider myself a locker, I've only skimmed through Skeeter Rabbit's locking tutorial and I like to watch cats like the Hilty & Bosch and P-lock every now and then. I only practice if like, someone puts on a mad funky beat during a session or if I'm limited in space for practicing.

Popping, pretty much the same story, cept it was my first style.

When locking meets bboying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIWowee51A

Lesheik

Smash Lord
YES, locking is amazing. I lock but I don't consider myself a locker, I've only skimmed through Skeeter Rabbit's locking tutorial and I like to watch cats like the Hilty & Bosch and P-lock every now and then. I only practice if like, someone puts on a mad funky beat during a session or if I'm limited in space for practicing.

Popping, pretty much the same story, cept it was my first style.

When locking meets bboying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIWowee51A
What's your bboy name? got any vids?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
BBoy Shaman; my account is HaitianSidePlaya on bboy.org (I remember talking to you there about smash :p) and it's Shaaman on bboyworld.com

I don't have any recent footage unfortunately, I'll have to get on that...

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Yeah I think we did talk about smash lol. Hey do you have any advice for me on my battle? its on the previous page

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
XD @ that hat trick

but locking is fresh, I wish I was better at it.

And yea, bboying brought me around poppers so I can still bust a move with out having to hit the floor.

Toprock is underrated.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah I think we did talk about smash lol. Hey do you have any advice for me on my battle? its on the previous page
For some reason, my laptop is refusing to properly load your video, so I'll have to check it later.
NJ, do you even have a camera?
Yes I do, it's actually a lot better then your silly youtube camera thing that never uploads videos.
I'm the fourth guy to go out on the right side. The kid in the maroon shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_idsxNQ-azo&feature=channel_page
Reasons why I love you ^, haha. We must met up so we can session again :(
LOL. What were you like seven years ago?
A kid who thought bboying (breakdancing) was dumb.
Toprock is underrated.
WORD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WemZPi6irPw
^^^

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
LOL. What were you like seven years ago?
lawl, Well, it is kind of like seeing a bunch of kids talking about how awesome they are at Melee because they're learning double shines, but they don't even know how to shield grab, fast fall, dash dance, short hop or L cancel.

It was a big clump of dance scrubs.

But I really can't criticize because I was a massive dance scrub then too.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
Toprock is underrated.
I disagree.

The reason that battle had to go to a tiebreaker was because that locker was dope.

Think about it. Style ALWAYS beats power. Why? Because of things like toprock.

Obviously toprock =/= style. But still.

Locking is super dope though. I'm gonna try get good at locking this summer cuz my tops are terrible.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I can breakdance. I've been doing it for 7 months

Here's my first battle (I'M ON THE RIGHT)
<object width="576" height="432" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1148565507909" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1148565507909" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="576" height="432"></embed></object>
REALLY dislike battles w/o the orginal audio, but let's see.

Um, you have work on transitions. In the majority of your sets, it looked like you were simply doing one move, stop, then do another move (especially when you were doing any freeze/move on your head). In other words, everything didn't exactly flow one right after the other, whereas home boy clearly bested you in that.
Note- When doing footwork, try to never do it on your palms. Doing it on you fingers is what's recommended (if you can, go for your finger tips). This makes your footwork look cleaner and lighter. Also gives you more control over your movement. It just takes getting used too.
But really, you weren't that bad, just focus more on fluidity. I could say things like, "get better footwork/power/freezes" or what not, but that's self explantary and something that everybody should be working on regardless of their skill.
For the record, this is ridiculous for 7 months.
Style ALWAYS beats power.
Well, as long as the guy doing style is actually doing the better sets haha. I've seen plenty of freestyle bboys loose to powerheads (ex. Kid David at RedBullBC1 08).

Also, I hate it when people bring up style vs power, it doesn't exist.

You can spam power moves and still heat beats and have originality (Ex. Bboy Morris, Bboy Kleju).
You can spam footwork and toprock but NEVER ride the beat (usually bboys like this just spam fast and clean footwork, ex. Bboy Redfoot, Rivers Crew/FlavaSquad).

The correct term should be "style vs no style". Basically, I saw a comment Bboy Zeshen left on bboy.org and it was about this. Too lazy to just quote it, but yeah.

Also, this isn't like, super directed at you or anything, cause you clearly said "toprock =/= style" and blahblah. I just felt like saying it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPzJ_vN2riI
Dope stuff man. How long you been breaking?
He's been at it for almost a year.

Gymnist are cheaters haha.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
It's one of the reasons why I'm more of a locker instead of a bboy. First of all, I'm just not cut out to be a breaker. Second, I believe that if your moves don't match the music, they don't mean much, no matter how powerful they may be. If you want to do powermoves all the time but forget about the music you could just as well join a circus. :p

So yeah, power moves are impressive, but in my opinion kinda pointless if it doesn't match the music.

Also, my opinion doesn't matter at all, because I can't really dance that well :p.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea there are too many bboys who forget breaking is more about the music than how cool you look.

Everything looks cooler when its on beat too.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
We seem to have some kind of anti-power theme going here.

I love power, but it's painfully hard to do power on beat. I still think it belongs as a part of the dance if you can get into it and get out of it in a fluid, natural, stylish way.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
u guys need to go to genesis and ill battle who ever
I can't go, but there has to be at least one bboy here who can. I'd love to see this shiz recorded, cause dance battles in a huge smash tourney = dopeness.

Also, I'm thinking about introducing 7 to Smoke to competitive smashbros.

What 7 to Smoke, for those who don't know, is when bboys do a series of 1v1 battles against each other. It's usually 7 bboys, and you start with 2 people ready to battle and the rest in a line. One person does a set, the other does his. Judges pick a winner. The winner stays up and the loser goes into the line. The next in line guy comes up and does a set. Then winner does his set and once again, which ever set is deemed better by the judges determines who stays on. You keep doing this until someone has a total of 7 wins. It's mostly a test of endurance, you get freaking tired since you only get a short break after each round (however going back in line gives you some time to recover... however that gives the 6 other bboys time to get their own number of wins).

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjHbcAfnkTU

Smash doesn't need judges though, you just win the match. There needs to be something added though, cause it's not hard to find someone simply winning 7 matches in a row, I mean, that's what happens in tournaments.

Top Bottom