• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
I've read the model swapping tutorial, for the record.

Anyway, I was just messing around and I decided to replace Toad's model with Peach's just to see what would happen. It froze. So I was wondering out of curiosity, in case I decide to make a proper model swap later, what would have went wrong that made the game freeze? Is it a file size issue, or something else?

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Well, I was just messing around aimlessly, but I'm also pretty sure that Peach has at least 3 times as many bones as Toad. Yes, I tried replacing Toad with Peach, not the other way around, so she deflects attacks using herself. :p

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
Toad has about 22 bones and Peach has 105. that's the problem. though the idea would be pretty funny.

highfive

Smash Lord
Anyone know how to remove olimars antenna glow? I just tried to do it by scaling all animations to 0 but no go.

EDIT- I lied. I think I know what I did wrong.

Esokira

Smash Rookie
HELP!!!!!! My brawl Box is broken! When i try to look at the model it doesnt show anything! Just a blank model frame. Its not one model, Its every model!!!!! Plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!

highfive

Smash Lord
HELP!!!!!! My brawl Box is broken! When i try to look at the model it doesnt show anything! Just a blank model frame. Its not one model, Its every model!!!!! Plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!
You probably forgot to import the MLD0's BRRES with all it's texture information.

EDIT- Anyone know why an imported Model would teleport more or less half the size of Final Destination after being thrown? And why they can't be grabbed for more than a few frames (not enough to pummel more than once.)?

Esokira

Smash Rookie
No its cause, I would download a file, Brawl texture, then i would open it on BrawlBox, but when I go to look at the texture,( right click the black folder than press open,) I would get the same Window, The brawlBox Model window, but NOTHIN in it!!! No pic, no bones, no nothin! Plz Help!!!

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
No its cause, I would download a file, Brawl texture, then i would open it on BrawlBox, but when I go to look at the texture,( right click the black folder than press open,) I would get the same Window, The brawlBox Model window, but NOTHIN in it!!! No pic, no bones, no nothin! Plz Help!!!
Did you zoom out (scroll)?

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
Highfive, is it the Piplup, or is it a model from a different game?

highfive

Smash Lord
Highfive, is it the Piplup, or is it a model from a different game?
It's the in game model.

And it's because of his TopN bone which is why it's making it act weird.

Can I change it through the Fortwaffles bone structure program?

highfive

Smash Lord
WTF is that? I'd never seen that before. You should look at the graphical effect guide to see if you can find it.

guzzleboy478

Smash Rookie
I think it's something other than a graphic effect because i replaced the eff_shock texture inside Lucas's pac with Lucario's aura and the same thing happened. Maybe it's some kind of color sequence?

Kiyobi

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to replace MiscData[30]/Textures/MenSelchrPanelRule3.1 inside sc_selcharacter.pac so it displays a Brawl+ logo (that I put together) instead of just Brawl, but BrawlBox keeps crashing, citing an out of bounds error.
The details are below. Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I followed this tutorial, suggesting that I save any texture with indexed color mode and as a .png...
Code:
************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at BrawlLib.Wii.Textures.CI8.DecodeBlock(VoidPtr blockAddr, ARGBPixel* dPtr, Int32 width)
   at BrawlLib.Wii.Textures.TextureConverter.DecodeTexture(TEX0* texture, Int32 mipLevel)
   at BrawlLib.Wii.Textures.TextureConverter.DecodeTextureIndexed(TEX0* texture, ColorPalette palette, Int32 mipLevel)
   at BrawlLib.Wii.Textures.TextureConverter.DecodeIndexed(TEX0* texture, ColorPalette palette, Int32 mipLevel)
   at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.TEX0Node.GetImage(Int32 index)
   at BrawlBox.MainForm.resourceTree_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at BrawlBox.ResourceTree.set_SelectedNode(TreeNode value)
   at BrawlBox.ResourceTree.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
   at BrawlBox.ResourceTree.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Kati

Smash Lord
When merging collision points brawlbox deletes the loose collision entirely. This happens on Greenhill+ as well as the new STGEARTH replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

OmegaExDominus

Smash Rookie
lol Brawlbox keeps deceiving me when I try to replace the background on smashville. It keeps showing up nicely in the brawlbox previewer, but when I get to the actual game, the screen is all jacked up. Why does Brawlbox keep tricking me? D:

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
When merging collision points brawlbox deletes the loose collision entirely. This happens on Greenhill+ as well as the new STGEARTH replacement. Any help would be appreciated.
Try merging the planes not the points

lol Brawlbox keeps deceiving me when I try to replace the background on smashville. It keeps showing up nicely in the brawlbox previewer, but when I get to the actual game, the screen is all jacked up. Why does Brawlbox keep tricking me? D:
Pic plz?

OmegaExDominus

Smash Rookie

No image of it in game since it pretty much just freezes now. When it did work, the background was just a bunch of black cubes. Sometimes they were white, and sometimes they were rainbowy for no reason. It would fluctuate between colors. I've got absolutely no idea how to make this work. But my question is just--does brawlbox always show the stuff even if that's not how it looks in game?

Also there was always a black cube in the middle of the stage for no apparent reason.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
No image of it in game since it pretty much just freezes now. When it did work, the background was just a bunch of black cubes. Sometimes they were white, and sometimes they were rainbowy for no reason. It would fluctuate between colors. I've got absolutely no idea how to make this work. But my question is just--does brawlbox always show the stuff even if that's not how it looks in game?

Also there was always a black cube in the middle of the stage for no apparent reason.
Start Over again but this time make sure you have the textures imported in the same format
Reason why it did that was the palettes were not matching up and the filesize is probably too big

OmegaExDominus

Smash Rookie
make sure you have the textures imported in the same format
Reason why it did that was the palettes were not matching up and the filesize is probably too big
The final file is 2.13 MB whereas regular smashville unedited is 2.05 MB. Is that too big? I think it actually is what you were saying about the palettes, i'm going to try that now. But the textures from the original Fourside.pac from Mewtwo2000 didn't use any palettes, should I?

Ok, after testing it out, the background was just the sky with a crappy looking moon in a black frame. They were colored correctly, but there weren't even any buildings. Just a black box in the middle of the smashville stage with one of the building textures on it.

MrToaster

Smash Rookie
I was just adding some CSPs with Brawlbox, but when I try to save it as common5.pac on my SD card, it says "An external component has thrown an exception." and it doesn't save. Same thing happens if I try to save it anywhere else. Hasn't done this before, and I can't fix it. I don't really feel like closing it and having to add them all again later since I can't save, so help would be appreciated.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Export the csp arc file. Use sc_selcharacter.pac (pf/menu2), it's loaded on the fly instead of at startup like common5. Replace the csp arc file with the one you exported earlier. Save the file. Put on sd card and enjoy.

Juri

Smash Cadet
Okay I have a question, I downloaded the Brawl+ DLC Stage Pack and it has a texture replacement mod or whatever for Distant Planet.

I was wanting to know would it be possible to add the Rain effect that was on the unedited Distant Planet to the new edited level of Distant Planet in the DLC Pack.

highfive

Smash Lord
Question: common5.pac is being really gay (actually a statement) and keeps freezing mah brawlz!

The problem is that I'm replacing Toon Link's CSP with one of his standard CSP's but it keeps giving me the beep of death. Anyone know why?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Okay I have a question, I downloaded the Brawl+ DLC Stage Pack and it has a texture replacement mod or whatever for Distant Planet.

I was wanting to know would it be possible to add the Rain effect that was on the unedited Distant Planet to the new edited level of Distant Planet in the DLC Pack.
Yes it is just might rain non-stop though

Question: common5.pac is being really gay (actually a statement) and keeps freezing mah brawlz!

The problem is that I'm replacing Toon Link's CSP with one of his standard CSP's but it keeps giving me the beep of death. Anyone know why?
Try replacing another CSP and see if you're over the filesize limit?

Snoopy

Smash Journeyman
the common5 folder can be REALLY fragile, even going 1 KB over it's original size will cause it to freeze. the easiest way to avoid is to change the texture format when replacing the CSP. i usually change them to CMPR format, mostly because it drops the new texture file size by almost half, and the reduction in picture quality is hardly noticeable in game.

highfive

Smash Lord
Yes it is just might rain non-stop though

Try replacing another CSP and see if you're over the filesize limit?
Yeah. It was the same size as the original but the newest one I had made was still larger.

the common5 folder can be REALLY fragile, even going 1 KB over it's original size will cause it to freeze. the easiest way to avoid is to change the texture format when replacing the CSP. i usually change them to CMPR format, mostly because it drops the new texture file size by almost half, and the reduction in picture quality is hardly noticeable in game.
CMPR? I gotta try that. Although simply switching CSP spots that were already in game and having it freeze is sorta bizarre.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Can it be altered more than common5?

That stupid fraility hath ruined many a good CSP.
Just take out sc_selcharacter.pac from common5.pac by exporting it out of there, and put it on pf/menu2. If you have edited your sc_selcharacter2.pac or sc_selmap.pac there too, export them out and put it on pf/menu2 as well. sc_selcharacter.pac cannot go over 3.79 MB of file size.

When editing a portrait, make sure you index the image to 256 palettes or lower so you can lower its file data size. Changing it to CMPR can also lower the data size too (IIRC BrawlBox reads an indexed image 10k on CMPR, 20k on C18), but it was never useful for me because it froze once I pressed Brawl even when I had my images indexed as well as the file data size being low; C18's pretty useful for me so yeah.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to keep all the Translation XYZ values the same for all the bones throughout the entire animation? It would make animation swapping a lot easier without going through each bone and copy pasting the translation xyz for the first and final frames.

Tanspriter

Smash Cadet
I'm new to this whole thing and I was just wondering what the difference between a .pcs and a .pac? I've downloaded skins that have only had .pcs or .pac and sometimes some with both. I know when you edit the texture of character you're supposed to save it as a .pcs. For editting vertices it looks like you have to edit the .pac. But how do you get them to work together? You can't really preview your texture on your changed model since it's a different file, right?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
They're both the same essentially
One is used for group mode and another is used for single player
You can easily make them go from .pac->.pcs and vice-versa with brawlbox

gallax

Smash Hero
Hey I was wondering what code should I use(if any) to be able to rotate stages textures when playing? I have 3 battlefield textures and when i try to play the wii doesnt read any of them and uses the default stage texture.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
there are 2 ways to solve your problem
A.Alternate stage loader(don't recommend)
B.Stage expansion code(Only adds 9 stages though)
Which would you prefer?
Oh and what are you naming the battlefield textures?

Top Bottom