• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl was 4th best selling game of 2008

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
Recently all the game sale analysists compared all there sales numbers (UK,US and japan) to provide the top 5 selling games of the year. Heres the list.

1.Mario kart wii-8.94 million
2.wii fit-8.31 million
3.Grand theft auto 4-7.29 million
4.Super Smash Bros Brawl-6.32 million
5.Call of duty:world at war-5.89 million

For a single platform game that was only available at the middle of the year in all territorys is quite impressive...well somewhat.

If you take away the sale numbers from the U.K for brawl and the would still be just under call of duty world at war in the list. You heard amazing reports from nintendo about the sales for brawl in the U.S and japan (fastest selling wii game? don't quote me on that) and both selling 2 million in each territory relatively quick. However in the U.K for the half a year it was out, brawl only sold just 404,000 units. That less than what the japaneese version sold in its first day (500k). So yeah if you didn't believe the uk competative for brawl was small enough already well theres more than enough proof :p

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Mario Kart Wii sold the most because Toadette's in it and she's awesome. =P

But yea, Brawl wasn't as advrtized as GTA4 and Wii Fit so that's why it didn't sold as much even thought GTA4 is not too big in Japan, (or is it even in Japan). Mario Kart Wii make's it so that everyone can play it and has the best online conection for Wii so that's that.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Im not surprised. Most of nintendos games are garbage these days anyway. They can only hold on to the past franchise games which they are slowly destroying anyway

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Wii Fit sold the most because it's expensive, appealing to the casual audience, and because of McDonalds.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Wii Fit sold well, because it's important to be fit and people are too lazy to take a walk.

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
It's one of the best selling fanchises of all time. What else is new?
^^What he said.

Brawl is very poular, just that other people don't even know about it. Only about 5 people in my class of 28 know about brawl. What a bummer.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
LOL

I love this. First, Wii Sports beats Super Mario World as best-selling game. Then, Wii Fit AND Brawl get on the bandwagon of crappy Wii games that sell alot.

Nintendo really only holds out because its roots were the strongest and most sexy.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman

Brawl is very poular, just that other people don't even know about it. Only about 5 people in my class of 28 know about brawl. What a bummer.
Thats seems like a lot actually,
I've only met one other person(besides 3 of my friends that I got into smash)
at my school who plays brawl

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
Im not surprised. Most of nintendos games are garbage these days anyway. They can only hold on to the past franchise games which they are slowly destroying anyway
QFT

kupo, you and me have to start a protest, telling nintendo to get off their butts and actually make something new for once

Geist

Smash Master
Hey guys, Nintendo doesn't have a concept approval phase, FYI.
90% of their games are trash because of crappy 3rd party interface and garbage ideas with tacked on controls, gimics, and mini-game collections.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Hey guys, Nintendo doesn't have a concept approval phase, FYI.
90% of their games are trash because of crappy 3rd party interface and garbage ideas with tacked on controls, gimics, and mini-game collections.
Not so fast, just about every system has about 50%-70% of they games are just quick cash, you haven't seen all the Nintnedo games if you say 90%. I just wish that all the game's were sold everywere that sells video games and not just some game's is only in one county or so. ♥

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Wow you people are negative...

Great for Brawl though- very impressive. I suspected as much, considering Mario Kart DS brought in several million more fans so of course its sequel sold that well. Heh...

BentoBox

Smash Master
I just don't like the direction that Nintendo has taken lately and I simply find it sad that they will most likely take this as a sign that this new Wii philosophy is really working out and keep it up for the next few years...

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I just don't like the direction that Nintendo has taken lately and I simply find it sad that they will most likely take this as a sign that this new Wii philosophy is really working out and keep it up for the next few years...
This. Brawl is a good game, just not my type (well till it got hacked :) ) The thing is that Nintendo is making a lot of games that just aren't my type now a days.

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2915

Where did you get your information from? Because those numbers are pretty off unless they are US numbers only.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2752
hmm that is quite different between the info i got (places like ign and cvg supplied it aswell as kotaku), all i know is that all the NPD style analysists compared there 2008 sales and thats what they got. But now with these links aswell its just confusing, however it appears still that smash bros brawl was 1 of the top 5 selling games of the year overall

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
One of those is an official statement by nintendo. The other is created by combining the data released from NPD, Media create, and whoever does Europe. Brawl has about 8.1 million or so. It still has sold really well for it's first year on the market. Already besting Melee. I can see Brawl topping off at around 10 million. It is one of those must haves for the wii.

It is really sad to see that people think of this as a bad thing. Brawl selling well means that the competitive smash community can grow. Means running smash becomes more profitable for large companies. It means that a sequel is almost guaranteed.

Companies play to win as well. To them dollars are what drives them, you can't blame ubisoft, EA, and Nintendo for wanting to make money.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
It is really sad to see that people think of this as a bad thing. Brawl selling well means that the competitive smash community can grow. Means running smash becomes more profitable for large companies. It means that a sequel is almost guaranteed.
it also means that they will see what sakurai changed from melee to brawl was good, and will continue to dumb down the next game.

Super Joe

Smash Rookie
I hate Nintendo's new "dumbed down" approach to their games, but as long as they have the rights to mario/zelda/metroid/smash, I'm gonna have to go and buy thier products anyways.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
it also means that they will see what sakurai changed from melee to brawl was good, and will continue to dumb down the next game.
You know casuals and competitive players a like have announced their dislike of tripping. Also Sakurai won't be on the project anymore. We can only speculate but I am sure they have heard fans complaints with the games.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
You know casuals and competitive players a like have announced their dislike of tripping. Also Sakurai won't be on the project anymore. We can only speculate but I am sure they have heard fans complaints with the games.
yes, but you must realize, your signature is true. and even though everyone complains about tripping, doesn't mean the games are going back to melee/64. the 95% like everything brawl is (except tripping), and just want lots of characters and stages and a huge single player and stuff like that. they are the majority of sales to nintendo, so the game will be catered to them.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Its worth it. My friend has a wii when i tried it out i thought it was amazing so i bought a wii for brawl( not just brawl ;) )

sWorD LoRD

Smash Rookie
Maybe people should buy good games more. I mean Brawl is awesome but what about games like Gears of War 2 and Left4Dead?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Tripping is the least of our worries, and in fact, forced tripping is a unique and deepening addition to the series. Brawl is ultimately a weak game for several other reasons, though. Chief among them being the fact that there is almost no benefit to playing offensively with anyone except Metaknight and a few others. The game is stupidly balanced in favor of shield camping and relying on the dearth of combos, and on the fact that reduced hitstun makes KOing much more difficult. These are the things that Nintendo will see as successes, and they're the things that they'll considering bringing back.

And no one has said for sure, to my knowledge, that Sakurai won't be coming back. In fact, I've read both Sakurai and Nintendo saying that it's a relationship that they're happy with and would be willing to continue. I think Masahiro Sakurai is top of Nintendo's list for director for the next game.

Top Bottom