• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Tournament Edition Initial Release

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Note: Should the stage pack be optional? Let me know what you think.

--- Purpose of this Mod ---

Firstly I claim no particular talent or ownership for any of this. All codes and stages I retrieved from the boards and through other mods. The modders on smashboards and brawlvault are simply amazing. I have done this at the request of certain members of the Australia competitive brawl scene but have decided to release it to everyone. This is simply me putting together what is out there to make a purely competitive mod.

The purpose of this mod is to fix a very select few problems with Brawl, but at the same time, not effecting gameplay or balance in anyway. This is a competitive mod, it's designed to only change what absolutely needs to be changed for minimal gameplay differences, effectively none. The other purpose is to be a stagepack that provides alternative stages to banned ones, allowing more neutrals and counterpicks for a more varied and fun game. I will let the community decide which ones will be neutrals and counterpicks.

In essense, this mod is to create a better version of brawl that pure brawl players would be happy to play at tournaments. Tournament Organisers would want as many setups as possible on this mod because it is superior.

Gamechanging Features:
- Random tripping removed
- That's it!

Game enhancements:
- Preset tournament conditions (3 stock, 8min time limit(stock), team attack on, handicap off, scoring on, damage ratio 1.0, stage choice is choose, damage gauge on, pause on.)
- Infinite Replays with Tags! Often there are not many recording setups at a tournament, infinite replays let you save a replay no matter how long the match went for and player tags are also preserved, making it easy to record at a later time offsite.
- Unrestricted pause camera
- Coloured shields (prettier)

Stages:
- Green Greens is Dreamland 64 with No Wind (image coming soon...)
* Temple is Mini Temple (image coming soon...)
* Yoshi Island Melee is Yoshi Story from Melee (image coming soon...)
+ Distant Planet is Jungle (image coming soon...)
* Mario Bros is Fountain of Dreams from Melee (image coming soon...)
+ Warioware is Frozen no bs edition (image coming soon...)
* Mushroomy Kingdom is Metal Mario 64 (image coming soon...)
+ Skyworld is Skyworld Better Edition (image coming soon...)
- Spear Pillar is Saffron City 64 (image coming soon...)
- Bridge of Eldin is Temple 64 HD (image coming soon...)
* Flat Zone 2 is Pokemon Stadium 2 Frozen (image coming soon...)

* From Project M Demo
- From Brawl Vault
+ From codes

Give the stages a go, what should be neutral? What should be counterpick? At the very least they'll make for more varied friendlies.

--- F.A.Q ---

Q. Why haven't you replaced banned stage x yet?
A. I probably don't know what to put there. Let me know of a good stage.

Q. Why did you replace stage x?
A. It is banned in Australia where I reside, so I have replaced it with something else.

--- Download ---

Latest Version can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?130xbbexbyhrg

--- Installation ---

Unzip into root of SD card, I've included neogamma and geckoos and they should be preconfigured. Load your NTSC Brawl with either geckoos or neogamma and play.

--- Codes Used ---

Default Settings Modifier (codfish92)
- Sets it up for tournament: 3 stock, 8min time limit(stock), team attack on, handicap off, scoring on, damage ratio 1.0, stage choice is choose, damage gauge on, pause on.

Disable custom stages

Level Freezer (Phantom Wings/Almas)
- freezes Warioware

Tripping Rate Modifier (KirbyIsCool)
- No more random tripping, bananas work

Infinite Replays

Tags in Replays (Y.S)

Unrestricted Pause Camera

Unrestricted Replay Camera

File Patch Code v3.5.1 (Phantom Wings)

Colored Shields (Phantom Wings)
- Pretty

--- TODO ---

- More Stages?
- Properly credit people that I am missing (stages)
- Figure out how to do some pretty menu/opening, nothing fancy, just so that people know it's Brawl Tournament Edition
- Fix any problems people may find
- Stage packless version, perhaps the stage pack should be optional? I'm interested in feedback on this.
- In game stage icons
- Pictures of the stages
- Hackless version

--- Changelog ---

>-0.3-<
- Strap Loader so that you know you've loaded up Tournament Edition
- Removed Project M battlefield that I accidently left in there

>-0.2-<
- Pokemon Stadium 2 is reverted to normal
- Frozen Pokemon Stadium 2 is now in the Flat Zone 2 slot
- Music for Frozen Pokemon Stadium 2

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Q. WHY DID YOU FREEZE POKEMON STADIUM 2?
A. The transformations are frankly disgusting. If you like them then I suggest perhaps you should play on Temple 4 Player FFA with items on high.
Step 1 of marketing your hacks to people is to not insult your target audience.

Life

Smash Hero
PS2 made me facepalm. See if you can put Frozen PS2 over Flat Zone 2 or something like that. The stage is more than legit.

TP

Smash Master
Yeah, freezing PS2 and then insulting people who want it unfrozen was pretty much the dumbest thing you could have done. PS2 is perfectly competitive. We don't need 100 variations of flat stage with a couple floating platforms.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I love how there's a PS2 freeze, yet no mention of a Hanenbow or Flat Zone replacement. Those two are easily the worst stages in the game.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
It was my impression that Pokemon Stadium 2 was considered a massive joke of a stage. I apologise that I was wrong.

I'll definitely see if I can put frozen pokemon stadium 2 over another banned stage with .rel's.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Well whatever, best of both worlds now. PS2 has been left alone and Frozen PS2 is in Flat Zone 2.

I wont be able to overwrite Hanenbow because there's no music for that stage. I mean, I could, but all you hear is a bunch of those random leaf noise things, plenty of other banned stages though :)

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Hanenbow does have a replaceable music track (R03.brstm), so your argument is kinda invalid.
Calm down champ, I'm not arguing about hanenbow. I read in a few places that it had no music and there wasn't anything when I looked in my songs and then I stopped. I'm glad I'm wrong, it'll be something to consider replacing at a later date.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a good idea.

But don't most tournaments have rules against anti-tripping codes? (Don't ask me why, I don't want to know why they would be that stupid)

All the same, I hope it catches on. Good luck to you, sir.

Life

Smash Hero
Sounds like a good idea.

But don't most tournaments have rules against anti-tripping codes? (Don't ask me why, I don't want to know why they would be that stupid)

All the same, I hope it catches on. Good luck to you, sir.
The reason for anti-tripping codes being banned in tournament is because it changes game balance (Sonic-types that dash a lot get buffed)--tournaments generally only allow cosmetic changes; the game must remain identical to vanilla Brawl under the hood.

This is explicitly a game mod, not vanilla Brawl, so it's practically mandatory.

Revven

FrankerZ
(Sonic-types that dash a lot get buffed)
You... are kidding me.... right? RIGHT?

People are REALLY pulling the balance card with utterly RANDOM tripping? REALLY?

*Facepalm*

I mean I understand keeping things the same across all Wiis/SSBBs at a tourney, but trying to justify it further by suggesting it affects balance for something that is actually 100% RANDOM is really, really dumb.

If turning off tripping was an option in the game, people would be okay with it, just like with items. The notion that random tripping affects game balance as a reason to not have tripping turned off for dashing is... I can't even come up with anything right now. All random tripping does is stop you from doing an action, messing up your approach, or whatever. It's like an item dropping in front of you to grab except instead of benefitting you it hurts you..

I don't get it, I just don't get the Brawl community at all.

*Leaves*

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
I love how there's a PS2 freeze, yet no mention of a Hanenbow or Flat Zone replacement. Those two are easily the worst stages in the game.
^THIS. Even a 6 year old I talked to about Brawl (I volunteer at a summer camp for two weeks) told me he absolutely hated those two stages.
Just so you know, Pokemon Stadium 2 is untouched and Frozen Pokemon Stadium 2 is over Flat Zone.

I've read conflicting articles on how easy it is to replace Hanenbow in regards to music, when I think of a stage to put over it I'll try and do it.

So this is like an inbetween of Balanced Brawl and Brawl+?
Imagine normal vanilla brawl, now imagine that tripping was turned off. That's it, that's Brawl Tournament Edition.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Imagine normal vanilla brawl, now imagine that tripping was turned off. That's it, that's Brawl Tournament Edition.
People tend not to play modded games in tournaments unless they're actually good (i.e. Project M). Everyone else is sticking to normal Brawl.

(And yes, I did mean i.e. and not e.g.)

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
I understand not playing modded games, but really, this is just normal brawl, I haven't made any balancing decisions, edited any characters and so on.

The Brawl community can do what it wants with my gift, I'm enjoying myself rounding out my brawl hacking skills and if people can get benefit from it then great. I will be finishing it off with some visual polish and other things on the todo list over the following weeks and then doing release candidates and so on.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
You... are kidding me.... right? RIGHT?

People are REALLY pulling the balance card with utterly RANDOM tripping? REALLY?

*Facepalm*

I mean I understand keeping things the same across all Wiis/SSBBs at a tourney, but trying to justify it further by suggesting it affects balance for something that is actually 100% RANDOM is really, really dumb.

If turning off tripping was an option in the game, people would be okay with it, just like with items. The notion that random tripping affects game balance as a reason to not have tripping turned off for dashing is... I can't even come up with anything right now. All random tripping does is stop you from doing an action, messing up your approach, or whatever. It's like an item dropping in front of you to grab except instead of benefitting you it hurts you..

I don't get it, I just don't get the Brawl community at all.

*Leaves*
Actually, that's the most reasonable explanation for random tripping ever. Or are you one of those fellows who doesn't understand how random crits in TF2 balances the game?

Stop thinking of it as being entirely random and instead just think about the number of times it happens on average per match. It's as much a change to game balance as the counterpick stages.

That and it's not ENTIRELY random, it has a greater chance of occurring for characters that enter the initial dash state more frequently, like Sonic, simply by virtue of him having more chances to trip. That's how it balances the game, by preventing sonic and characters like sonic from using his speed to its full efficacy.

Random items though is a very different deal.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Evilagram.

Stop.

Stop talking.

It very much is completely random.

And none of this "balance" bs, who are you people, Sakurai? Like seriously, STFU. Every time you dash, you have a 1% (iirc) chance of tripping. EVERY CHARACTER dashes.

We leave random tripping in because we are playing the game given to us.

I personally hate that BS.

But Project M doesn't have a playable demo out yet.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Evilagram.

Stop.

Stop talking.

And none of this "balance" bs, who are you people, Sakurai? Like seriously, STFU. Every time you dash, you have a 1% (iirc) chance of tripping. EVERY CHARACTER dashes.

My recommendation would be to play + but Project:M does have a demo.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Evilagram.

Stop.

Stop talking.

This and Falco's post. So many times. I've never heard anyone experienced even slightly into the metagame try to justify tripping at all until now; it was always the casual players trying to with very poor reasoning. 64 and Melee, the latter being significantly faster than Brawl, do perfectly fine without tripping. Most people hate it and would happily remove it from the game if it weren't for the fact that unofficial modifications are rarely taken seriously (like hotdogturtle said, P:M is a pretty major exception) or given the chance to take over the original game (far too late in the game's lifetime).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
No it doesn't.

The "demo" is no longer representative of the game as a whole and is utterly worthless for practicing.
Better way to put it would be that Project M does not have an up-to-date demo, but yeah same deal.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
How can this be called a tournament edition, when it does nothing to make it more competitive?
He did. "No tripping" lawls. Though it isn't wise to alter any gameplay and still call it Brawl, despite if it belongs or doesn't belong in a competitive fighter.

As for other non-competitive in-game changes, the default settings are at tournament standards, team attack off, 3 stocks, 8 min clock, no items.

More or less... this is just any average joe's collection of non-desyncing mods + more stages and no tripping. Nothing too impressive.

:x For me I just have everything not desync and change the stage selection screen to neutrals and counterpicks. That's basically as "tournament edition" as you can get a mod to be for brawl at this point.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Tournament Edition of fighting games are about improving the game mechanics, and balancing the characters. Look up Street Fighter Champion Edition, and other Tournament Edition games.

Clayfighter: Tournament Edition

Clayfighter: Tournament Edition was a Super Nintendo exclusive fix of the original with many things changed, such as:

Most stages from the original were modified. The edits were either slightly edited, some redone from scratch.
Many glitches from the original were fixed. Notably, the glitch to play as N. Boss was removed.
Many new modes were added, more versus modes were added, since it is a 'tournament' edition.
The intro and title screen were edited.

-

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, released in Japan as Street Fighter II Dash: Champion Edition (ストリートファイターIIダッシュ -CHAMPION EDITION-?, stylized as Street Fighter II′)[1], is a competitive fighting game released for the arcades by Capcom in 1992. It was the first of several updated versions of the original Street Fighter II. The main changes consisted of the addition of the Grand Masters (the final four computer-controlled opponents in the single-player mode) as playable characters and mirror matches (same character vs. matches). The fighting techniques of the eight main characters from the original game were also further refined to allowed for more balanced competitive play.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
^But that's just Balanced Brawl without tripping. The problem with this mod is that it's meant to be a version of Brawl playable at tournaments, except Brawl players won't play it because of the slight changes and non-Brawl players won't choose it over other Brawl mods because it only has slight changes. Unless of course, the BBR approves this as playable at tournaments which has a very slight chance of hapenning.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
One idea for the implementation I have when this is finished (I've got some cosmetic changes and a pal version coming) is that if 2 players agree they can play on this version. I believe this would sidestep at least some of the problems in putting this into use.

Top Bottom