• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Picks #1: Toad vs Bowser Jr

Who is your brawl pick?

• Toad

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • Bowser Jr

Votes: 75 57.7%

• Total voters

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Brawl's release date draws ever nearer (or at least I'm hoping it is) so to pass the time, I decided I would host a series of match-ups for your brawl picks. Normally, I would say we should hold a poll every week but come on! That's too many picks and discussions and brawl would be released WAY before then. So instead, I'll make a new poll match-up every day.

However, the topics will still be open and the polling can continue. I just don't want to make all the match-up threads all at once. And after a given time period, I will set up round two and pit all the winners against one another until we find out who the number one pick is.

Sounds like fun, eh? Now you can offer your opinion or debate or what have you, until the release date. So without me going on further about crap you probably didn't read, let's start the first match-up: Toad vs Bowser Jr

Name: Toad
Series: Mario Series
Party: First Party
Role: Secondary Character (protaganist once)
Details: There are several arguments as to why Toad should be included in Brawl. He is one of the big eight and would be the last of which to join the cast. Moves for this character can be taken from SMB2 or Toad's Woods and the argument that he can't fight becomes null and void when you mention C. Falcon or Mr. Game and Watch. He's a very popular character and has played major roles in the Mario Series.

Name: Bowser Jr
Series: Mario Series
Party: First Party
Role: Antagonist
Details: Bowser Jr is becoming a very vital character in the Mario Series and has played main antagonist twice already. He's a character full of potential and has the potential for a very enjoyable moveset, not the least of which is the ability to transform into Shadow Mario. He is slowly taking his father's place as the main villian of the Mario Series.

Well there you go. Enjoy voting, debating, etc.

(credit to rainofblood for the poll idea)

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr. definitly, he just has a bigger Originality Value from my Point of View.

A paintbrush to attack, goo spam, ninja like jumps.

Yup.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr. takes my vote. I'm not hatin' on Toad, I just like the concept behind the whole Bowser Jr/Shadow Mario switch.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i absolutly hate bowser jr, so toad gets my vote. some matchup suggestions
wolf vs krystal
samus vs megaman
deoxys vs lucario

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Wow, this is a good idea...

Megaman/Geno VS Bomberman/Geno

Vaati VS Skull Kid

Deoxys VS Lucario

Ridley VS Dark Samus

Ike VS Hector

Falco VS Wolf

Jeff VS Poo

Well, anyways, Bowser Jr. has sooooooo much more potential.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Eh, well I guess I'll try and start a debate since everyone else is just blurting out their choice with an added insult on the other character choice.

I chose Bowser Jr because he has played major roles in some of the newer games, has played main antagonist twice, would add another villian to the game, would add another kid to the game, would have a very nice moveset, and Delfino Plaza is a confirmed stage which would be perfect as his home stage.

I see a lot of potential in this character. He could be speedy and have various projectile attacks centered around his paint and goop powers. He'd be a light-weight and maybe have a crummy jump but to make up for it, he would have powerful moves since he is the son of the king of the koopas. However, he could switch to Shadow Mario thus giving him weight and recovery at the expense of losing his powerful hits and speed. So careful switching would be intergral in using him in matches.

Toad has played protaganist once and a major role in SMB2 but that was a long time ago. In later games he no longer has the status he once had in the old days. Now he is becoming a generic character, being more of a species rather than his own character.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Wow, this is a good idea...

Megaman/Geno VS Bomberman/Geno

Vaati VS Skull Kid

Deoxys VS Lucario

Ridley VS Dark Samus

Ike VS Hector

Falco VS Wolf

Jeff VS Poo

Well, anyways, Bowser Jr. has sooooooo much more potential.
Megaman, Skull Kid, both, Ridley, Ike, both, either

Caael

Smash Lord
Ridley vs Dark Samus.

I think we all know who wins that ( Ridley)

Bowser Jr., as Toad is lots of people, not just one. But Bowser Jr. seems to have been a filler in recent games. The only game with him as the main plot was Sunshine. NSMB just had him kidnapping peach, it could be anybody kidnapping her.

But he's a better choice than toad, so Bowwie.

boricuaboy

Smash Apprentice
I picked Bowser Jr. He looks much better and could have a better moveset and if i picked toad then what would be peaches b move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm still against too many Mario characters, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Bowser Jr. Mostly I really dislike younger or child versions of other characters, but I'm convinced Bowser Jr. will be a very original character. There's lots of stuff Sakurai could do with him, but I'd still prefer if both didn't made it. The only Mario character I would love to see though is Kamek, but he'd likely get a Yoshi-symbol.

Uncle Kenny, this is a very good idea but I don't think it's worth it to make a new poll everyday. It's just like the "Rate Their Changes" thread really, after a while all the fun characters are gone and the thread becomes dull. Also, when the poll is only open one day, some people might not be there while discussing their favorite character. Weekly updates is perfectly fine.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i would agree with diddy kong, except for the fact that i would get bored if there isn't a neew on every day. so keep going!

i still think the original 8 should all be in.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
If I absolutely had to choose one, I'd go with Bowser Jr., because he'd be much more interesting to play as than Toad. However, I feel that Toad deserves to be in the game more, due to longevity. Luckily, I don't absolutely have to choose one, so I'm still not voting for either.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The possibility of a smaller version of Bowser that can morph into a darker version of Mario has no appeal to me. If the biggest thing you have going for you is a paintbrush, then hopefully you will not make the cut.

By the way I am against Bowser Jr.

Toad has many different routes he can take. From Mariokart to Super Mario Brothers 2 to Wario Woods. The kart games and SMB2 defined him as fast while SMB2 also defined him as strong. So we get a light weight, nimble character with upper body strength and low jumps. A very nice mix. Plus he seems to have more personality, even if his personality is defined by cowardice and screaming in sheer panic.

In my opinion, Toad can offer more fun, more variety, and better sound effects (I know, thats a dumb point) to the game than Bowser Jr.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Toad. I never really liked Bowser Jr. He's only had two major roles, and Toad is more important and has been around longer and deserves to be in Brawl more (in my opinion.) And for Bowser Jr.'s appearence... to me, he's Baby Bowser with a paintbrush. I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr. being in Brawl (I wouldn't mind ANY character being in Brawl), but I just like Toad better.

Some suggestions:

Wolf vs Krystal (Major Star Fox characters)
Lucario vs Deoxys vs Meowth (popular Pokemon)
Dark Samus vs Ridley (popular Metroid villains)
Daisy vs Waluigi (both are filler characters)
Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong vs Just Diddy Kong (People seem to like both as a team for some strange reason)
Pac-Man vs Megaman vs Bomberman (Pac-Man and Bomberman had appeared along side with other mario characters, and everyone just likes Megaman...)
Vaati vs Skull Kid (Zelda related characters)
Fawful vs Geno (popular Mario RPG game characters...although Geno would definately win)

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
honestly.....I dont like either.....
Toad....... in a fighting game ? it's just wrong.......however.......
I HATE Bowser Jr. ..........He replaced the koopalings..... ...:mad:
I pick Toad....just out of Bowser Jr. hate

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Now he is becoming a generic character, being more of a species rather than his own character.
Just like Pikachu? :)
I had to go with Toad. He's more deserving, since he's been in Nintendo longer than Bowser Jr. Also, I completely loath that little *******.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I think Toad is more important than Bowser Jr., he is part of the Big 8, and I like the idea of a tiny character who doesn't suck (Pichu). He could be really quick and strong (as seen in SMB2), but very light so he could be sent flying easily.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Shesh... You guys complain too much.

There are several characters that are interesting to talk about for me to hold a poll a day. And I said that the polls would still be open. I'm not a mod, I can't close them. And this is ultimately sort of a tournament thing to find out the number one pick of all.

It'll all work out fine.

P.S. I actually support both. If either make it in, that's fine with me. I just favor Bowser Jr more.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Great thread Uncle Kenny!

My vote goes to Bowser Jr. He has played a larger role in the recent Mario games (ie: Sunshine and New Super Mario Bros) while Toad appears to have been replaced with legions of generic "Toads" and Peach's new assistant: Toadsworth.

Plus, Bowser Jr.'s paintbrush means that he would likely have a unique and fun moveset. What can a sentient fungus do, other than shoot spores?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Actually, I've been thinking about it and I might do the once a week thing and do away with the tournament idea.

Alright then. Once a week it is.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr. Because I love villains. And he has a paintbrush as his main weapon.
Possible Matchups:
Mewtwo vs. Deoxys
Lucario vs. Blaziken
Meowth vs. Pichu
Pichu vs. Pachirisu vs. Plusle and Minun vs. Pichu Bros.
Samurai Goroh vs. Black Shadow?
Ike vs. Sigurd vs. Hector
Black Knight vs. Roy
Geno vs. Waluigi (ROFLCOPTER)
Vaati vs. Wolf Link/Midna vs. Midna vs. Skull Kid.
Farfetch'd vs. Paras (You know you want to)
Baloon Fighter vs. Duck Hunt dog
Lolo vs. Chef Kawasaki
Wolf vs. Falco
Wolf vs. Krystal
Paper Mario vs. Fawful
Simon Belmont vs. Megaman
Pacman vs. Bomberman

Zeela12

Smash Ace
having bowser as a normal character is bad enough, no need for a smaller version of it.

toad is not that great either...

Bowser should be a boss in an adventure mode, and toad should be like an item or something, neither of the 2 started off being important characters in the mario series.

drewdizzal

Smash Apprentice
To be perfectly honest, neither should make it to brawl, seeing as how there are like 5 (yes, i count yoshi cause he derived from the mario universe) characters in smash already. BUT, if i had to pick one, i guess it would be bowser jr., what with all paint brush and all. but whatever :p

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'll have to go with Toad.

Bowser Jr. just doesn't click with me. The concept of basically a young version of some other guy does not really ooze originality. The paintbrush is nice, but I'd rather have an "artist" character who does not look like some kinda goblin.
I wouldn't enjoy seeing him in the game. Bowser is all the kute dragonturtlesaur we need, he's awesome enough for a whole army of bad guys!

Toad is not exactly one of my most wanted, but I'm sure he could be turned into something nice.
Just imagine the trailer. Peach being cowers in fear as the dark shadow of Bowser approaches her. King Koopa gets ready to pounce, but suddenly, something swiftly arrives to block his path...
It is Toad. And he has the fighting spirit.
Then "Duel of Fate" plays and Toad and Bowser have a Matrix kung fu duel.

Top Bottom