• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Picks #1: Toad vs Bowser Jr

Who is your brawl pick?

• Toad

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • Bowser Jr

Votes: 75 57.7%

• Total voters

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
To be perfectly honest, neither should make it to brawl, seeing as how there are like 5 (yes, i count yoshi cause he derived from the mario universe) characters in smash already. BUT, if i had to pick one, i guess it would be bowser jr., what with all paint brush and all. but whatever :p
Yoshi is from the Mario universe - but so are Wario and Donkey Kong. All these characters are now the stars of their own spinoff series, so they deserve a spot in Smash on their own merits and not becuase they are riding Mario's coattails. For proof just look at Yoshi's icon: he has an egg and not a mushroom like the rest of the Mario gang.

Bowser jr. is ahead, but only just. Comeone people, vote for the artist - not the fungus!

Copperpot

Smash Ace
having bowser as a normal character is bad enough, no need for a smaller version of it.

toad is not that great either...

Bowser should be a boss in an adventure mode, and toad should be like an item or something, neither of the 2 started off being important characters in the mario series.
Obviously, someone in here doesn't like Bowser. :p

In all honesty, Bowser Jr would bring a lot more to the game than Toad. He utilizes a different kind of weapon and has known abilities that could produce interesting effects in the Smash Bros world.

To those hinting that he'd be a smaller clone of Bowser: get real. I don't recall him demonstrating anything that comes close to Bowser's moveset. Also, I find it ironic that the person who knocked 'young' versions of characters uses Young Link as his avatar.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Not to mention all the crazy stuff he can do with that brush. We're not talking just paint ball projectiles (though that would be awesome too), we're also talking electric goop, flaming goop, tornadoes (Pinata Village is where he uses that move), and making piranha plants by leaving goop around the stage.

He could bring a whole new aspect of fighting to Smash Bros. Think about it. He could be the first character to attack using mainly traps. I can just see all the goop tracks on the stage now with their various effects, Bowser Jr, of course, being immune to them.

I don't know. Just an idea of mine. :)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Roundhouse post to the FACE

Bowser jr. is ahead, but only just. Comeone people, vote for the artist - not the fungus!
Where is the long hair, where is the confused look, where is the existentialism?
That is NOT an artist.

Also, I find it ironic that the person who knocked 'young' versions of characters uses Young Link as his avatar.
Young Link isn't a young version of Link, Link is an old version of Young Link!

He could bring a whole new aspect of fighting to Smash Bros. Think about it. He could be the first character to attack using mainly traps. I can just see all the goop tracks on the stage now with their various effects, Bowser Jr, of course, being immune to them.

I don't know. Just an idea of mine. :)
An awesome idea.
...I'd much rather see Tetra fill that role, though.

... or Tom Nook. :p

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
im gonna have to vote for Junior - doesnt feel right vopting for a generic with a shroom on its head

Matchup - Dark Samus Vs 1 of the Hunters (probly Sylux)
I can see your plan. You just want a poll where DS would win.

That being the case, how about this for a poll:

"Which sounds more pleasant?

1) Dark Samus in Brawl.

or

2) A kick in the teeth."

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Tetra and Tom Nook don't have anything on Bowser Jr. :p

Like I said before, I'm fine if either get in. Or if Geno gets in (which I pray that he does), they can both go to hell for all I care. But still, Bowser Jr would be a great character filled with variety and potential.

I can practically see him in the game right now, really. Not that I'm going to hold my breath but both him and Toad have high chances at making a Brawl cut. With everything Bowser Jr brings to the table, I'm going to have to tilt my head in his direction, though.

@Wiseguy: Who will be kicking us in the teeth? You never know, I might go with that option...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Between the two, I'm going to go for Bowser Jr. Toad may have seniority, but he seems to be falling in significance, and his place at Peach's side seems to have been replaced by Toadsworth. And while a paintbrush isn't exactly the most exciting idea, I imagine it would be more interesting than what Toad has to offer.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Hmm... I don't know what I should do...

There could be as many as twenty polls but I can't see Brawl taking twenty weeks to come out. That's just crazy. So maybe I should do this daily but I figured if it was weekly we could space the polls out and have more discussion and so that this room isn't overflowed with polls.

What do you guys think? Daily or weekly? Or maybe like every three days or something... I don't know...

Fawriel

Smash Master
One on tuesday, one on thursday and two for the weekend, since we have no smashbros.com updates to talk about in the weekends.

Or wednesday, saturday, sunday.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Tetra and Tom Nook don't have anything on Bowser Jr. :p

Like I said before, I'm fine if either get in. Or if Geno gets in (which I pray that he does), they can both go to hell for all I care. But still, Bowser Jr would be a great character filled with variety and potential.

I can practically see him in the game right now, really. Not that I'm going to hold my breath but both him and Toad have high chances at making a Brawl cut. With everything Bowser Jr brings to the table, I'm going to have to tilt my head in his direction, though.

@Wiseguy: Who will be kicking us in the teeth? You never know, I might go with that option...
I hear you, right there. As long as Geno makes it in (and Bowser comes back), I'll be a happy camper. Besides, we've already got Metaknight. What more could I ask for?

. . . with exception to Frog from Chrono Trigger, that is.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
Obviously, someone in here doesn't like Bowser. :p

In all honesty, Bowser Jr would bring a lot more to the game than Toad. He utilizes a different kind of weapon and has known abilities that could produce interesting effects in the Smash Bros world.

To those hinting that he'd be a smaller clone of Bowser: get real. I don't recall him demonstrating anything that comes close to Bowser's moveset. Also, I find it ironic that the person who knocked 'young' versions of characters uses Young Link as his avatar.
all I meant to say was: "I rather see 1 character from a totaly different series than 7 characters from just one series."

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday sound delicious. Since Saturday polls would be longer, you can add more then two characters and have the option of using characters from previous polls.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Too be honest, I want both making it. However, if I had to choose one it would be Bowser Jr.

He could have quite a unique moveset, along with being a transforming character. Bowser Jr. Could be strong and not too slow, but have horrible jumping and aerials. While Shadow Mario could have a plethora of goop-based attacks, high jumps, Good aerials but not overall "Strong" in the sense of the word.

Granted, Toad could have quite a moveset too. But I think Bowser Jr. comes out ahead.

Micahc

Smash Ace
I voted for a Fungus, I could see him throwing spores as an attack. A baby tortoise from hell with a paintbrush doesn't appeal, however, a pizza topping definitely does.

Eric the Lone

Smash Journeyman
Toad is not exactly one of my most wanted, but I'm sure he could be turned into something nice.
Just imagine the trailer. Peach being cowers in fear as the dark shadow of Bowser approaches her. King Koopa gets ready to pounce, but suddenly, something swiftly arrives to block his path...
It is Toad. And he has the fighting spirit.
Then "Duel of Fate" plays and Toad and Bowser have a Matrix kung fu duel.
wellll I tried to recreate your scene...hehe

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Toad may have been around for a long time, but he is not as special as Bowser Jr. Toad was playable in SMB2 (and in the remake on the GBA) and after those games, he was more of a 'side character' than a main character. Adding Toad will result in having a hard time for making a moveset for him I think. I can't even think of what moves he would be able to do. I've never seen him fighting (and jumping on Goomba's is not really an attack imoi >_<). And remember that if he's added, Peach will need a different B move. That's not a real disaster, but just keep that in mind.

Bowser Jr, however, is having more and more influence on the Mario games. He has been in all Mario Parties after 4 (I recon), was the main villain in Sunshine (not counting Bowser) and is now also playable in Yoshi's Island DS (which is freaking hard btw, I'm still having troubles with world 6 or 7). And this guy has some cool moves. He can spit fire, is very athletic, fast and nimble due to his length and he could (I say, could) use his paintbrush to attack and/or draw things (how about drawing on an opponent to make them slower because of to the gooey paint?)

Conclusion: Toad has appeared here and there, but he has never reached the fanclub that Bowser Jr. has now (and remember that Bowser Jr. did it in a shorter time). Toad also doesn't look like a brawler while Bowser Jr. does.
So my vote goes out to Bowser Jr.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr for me. He is a villain (of sorts) and has a great possible moveset. His magic paintbrush from Sunshine, as well as his abilities from New Mario Bros, would all work well.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Kinopio has always been one of the original Mario characters so it's best he go before Bowser Jr.

Fawriel

Smash Master
To be exact, the name of a specific Toad, as opposed to the race, which some see as an argument against Toad.
Hehe.

TheBlackblaze

Smash Cadet
Meh, toad doesn't have much at his name, all I've seen him do is pluck plants. And lately his "role" has been taken by Toadsworth making him kinda generic, So I'd have to say Junior.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Definitely Toad. He's a major Mario character; one of the "Big Eight" as some call it. It only makes sense, if you ask me.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Conclusion: Toad has appeared here and there, but he has never reached the fanclub that Bowser Jr. has now (and remember that Bowser Jr. did it in a shorter time). Toad also doesn't look like a brawler while Bowser Jr. does.
So my vote goes out to Bowser Jr.
I am not sure if you really know which fanbase is larger. Plus in the Nintendo Magazine poll Wario and Toad were the most wanted characters in Brawl (years before Bowser and Peach on the same magazine poll were the most wanted in Smash).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It was a public poll. I am just saying you cannot simply claim that Bowser Jr. has a larger fanbase than Toad.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
yea. FIRST OFF...the majority of n00by people on these boards frequent the brawl section. Take no offense, if you're an exception, but don't deny me that truth.
In fact, the same people who like bowser jr, tend to be the same n00bs who like waluigi, and pretty much any rediculously lame character.

everybody who said toad isn't as original as bowser jr is an idiot.
Toad..is a mushroom-person...bowser jr. is just a small version of bowser, duh.

Toad deserves to be in more, becuz of his history. He was the main character in Wario Woods, he's been competing since mario kart for SNES, and continues to be listed w/ the rest of the crew to this day in Mario Party 8. (u don't see bowser jr in mario party 8, do u?)

Bowser jr. is just a cheap fad, that they are starting to let die now.(not to mention toadette is equally as lame)
a couple KoopaKids are who really deserve to be in brawl(but that will never happen...)

If my biasness hasn't made it clear, toad is far by my favorite videogame character period.
Moves though?
Turnips. ChargeJump(mario2)
made up moves on the fly...a charged spore move that could act sorta like wheezing. an alternate upB where he uses his hat as a parachute. etc.
his stats are obviously best represented via mario 2: speedy, no lag, noticable strength, very low jumps and poor recovery

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I'm guessing that the people that said Toad wasn't as original as Bowser Jr were referring to their character traits as a whole, not just their appearance. Sure, Toad's a mushroom man, but what else does he have going for him? In terms of a moveset, he hasn't shown us anything that another character doesn't do already. Bowser Jr has.

I agree with you, in terms of seniority. Toad has the track record, but he just doesn't demonstrate anything remarkably compelling or new.

Out of the two, Jr proves to be the one with the fight already in him, and that's why I chose him. There are better choices out there than either of these two, though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
toad is 10 times more original. toad has been in more games, bowser jr was important i 1. toad was in like, 6. and what do you mean, a mini bowser with a paint brush has more movesets than a walking mushroom man. Vote Toad!

Top Bottom